50) The Eye Of Zoltar by Jasper Fforde
51) Angel Dares by Joss Stirling

52) Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

Edited by Chrissy

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting the year with a book of short stories featuring Lord Peter WImsey, and favourite detective of mine.

I will review when I am done, but thought I would start the thread with what I am up to.  :smile:  

Edited by Chrissy

I have never read any Dorothy L Sayers. I used to read quite a lot of detective type novels but I sort of overdosed on them in my 20s and don't tend to pick them up often.  I've enjoyed a few Agatha Christie books - I imagine (although I'm probably wrong?) that they are similarish?!  Happy reading. :)

Thank you all. :smile: I wish you all a happy reading year. 

I had a good year of reading last year, and plan on carrying on with my reading decisions in the same way - if it grabs me I'll read it!  :D  I have worked hard at removing any sense of should, shouldn't and not agains. The plan is that I read something that carries me on (and often away) from myself, no matter the genre, age demographic or whether it is new to me or not. Life is definitely too short to allow my favourite pastime get bogged down with self imposed 'politics'. 

Janet, I would say that the Dorothy L Sayers are similar in lots of ways to the Agatha Christie novels, as they would have been written around the same time, so carry the same sensibility.

With the Sayers' books, I think if you develop a liking for Lord Peter's character you will love the series, but I would say that it hinges on that. He is definitely upper class, he has servants, lives in town, belongs to men-only clubs and rattles about the world with a insouciant manner most of the time. For me the character is also highly moral, sensitive, charismatic, perceptive and an intensely loyal man, capable of great humour and profound guilt. It may not be too obvious but I may just be a little taken by Lord Peter.  :blush2:

Edited by Chrissy

I had a good year of reading last year, and plan on carrying on with my reading decisions in the same way - if it grabs me I'll read it!  :D  I have worked hard at removing any sense of should, shouldn't and not agains. The plan is that I read something that carries me on (and often away) from myself, no matter the genre, age demographic or whether it is new to me or not. Life is definitely too short to allow my favourite pastime get bogged down with self imposed 'politics'. 

Well put! I hope this great attitude of yours takes you to some great places this year! :smile2: I still remember how long you struggled with your mojo, so I think you deserve another fantastic reading year! :)

Well put! I hope this great attitude of yours takes you to some great places this year! :smile2: I still remember how long you struggled with your mojo, so I think you deserve another fantastic reading year! :)

I agree with all of this! I hope your great reading streak continues, Chrissy. With your positive attitude, it's bound to! :)

I've never really considered reading anything by Sayers before, but I love Agatha Christie, so maybe I should give Wimsey a go. You've painted such as interesting picture of the character that I'm now intrigued. Dare I ask how many books there are? Is Wimsey an older gentleman, like Poirot?

Just wanted to say thank you for my christmas card! I got it a bit after christmas. :)

Happy Reading in 2015!

Your welcome Devi.  :smile:

Thanks Kylie. I can definitely recommend Dorothy L Sayers. She wrote 11 of the books, with a few pretty good final ones written by an associate/fan. Lord Peter is around 40 years old in the books (in his late 30's in the first one).  :smile:

Edited by Chrissy

Thanks Kylie. I can definitely recommend Dorothy L Sayers. She wrote 11 of the books, with a few pretty good final ones written by an associate/fan. Lord Peter is around 40 years old in the books (in his late 30's in the first one).  :smile:

Thanks for the info. :) 11 sounds manageable! I was afraid you were going to say that Sayers was as prolific as Christie!

1) Lord Peter Views The Body by Dorothy L Sayers

Nine short stories with Lord Peter at the centre of each. They vary in length, and none are entirely predictable, which is surprising because I read this collection a few years ago!.  :smile:

My plan is to work my way through the Wimsey series, interspersing them with other books. Can't wait!  :D

Thanks Kay.  :smile:

2) The Unpleasantness At The Bellona Club by Dorothy L Sayers

I decided to head straight into another Lord Peter Wimsey story, so next in the series was this one. Following a visit with his dying sister, General Fentiman is found dead. The General had suffered with a heart condition for years, so surely his death was not a surprise? No one would have thought more of it had there not been a proviso in the wills that was dependent upon the timing of each death. 

Aside from the development of the plot and the characters in this 1928 novel, I found the many references to the Great War (World War One) both fascinating and touching. Sayers clearly had great sympathy and understanding for the post war suffering of those who served. It is a depth to the story that is unexpected but seamlessly included.  

(I have already started on my next Sayers book :smile: