Weave's Reading 2015

Weave

Your link needs the . removed at the end. I'd do it for you but I'm not sure if you like me editing your posts or not, or whether you'd rather do it yourself.

Thanks for that Athena, I removed it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not read any Murakami, but I'm intrigued by this now - great review! Do I need to read the other books you've mentioned first?

Your link needs the . removed at the end. I'd do it for you but I'm not sure if you like me editing your posts or not, or whether you'd rather do it yourself.

It is the Strange Library Athena, I am so embarrassed :blush2:  :blush2:  x

Edited by Weave

I hated the one Murakami book I read but I was also told it wasn't his usual fare, and since this one is short I might actually give it a go to give him another chance :)

Which book was it Noll? Some of his books start off slow, I felt that way about 'IQ84' :)

I've not read any Murakami, but I'm intrigued by this now - great review! Do I need to read the other books you've mentioned first?

'A Wild Sheep Chase' and 'Dance Dance Dance' are part of the Rat series ('Hear the Wind Sing' & 'Pinball, 1973' are the other books) but you don't need to read them in order, unless you want to, I didn't because it took awhile to get copies of 'Hear the Wind Sing' & 'Pinball, 1973'. The first book I read by him was 'Kafka on the Shore', good place to start :)

Edited by Weave

It is the Strange Library Athena, I am so embarrassed :blush2:  :blush2:  x

That was me originally asking :blush: Athena was just telling me I needed to remove the . for the link to work. :giggle2:

That was me originally asking :blush: Athena was just telling me I needed to remove the . for the link to work. :giggle2:

Its fine Devi, I was just embarrassed for getting the title wrong,  I don't know why but 'Secret' was just stuck in my brain :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the short stories by Margaret Atwood :). From what I hear, people have mixed opinions about her work. It's nice the stories left an impression on you :).

Apologies Athena, I didn't reply to you, some of the stories are better than others but they got you thinking, I was sitting quite stunned after reading the last story:o

I just didn't 'get' it, at all. Couldn't relate to or understand the characters or the purpose of the story. Like I say, I'll try this shorter one too, just to give Murakami a fair chance because it might be that I just don't get on with that one book. :)

Its fine Devi, I was just embarrassed for getting the title wrong,  I don't know why but 'Secret' was just stuck in my brain :)

With the amount of books we read/own, I would imagine it can happen! I always have to double or triple check the title of a book I am reading before posting sometimes. :giggle2:

I have only read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle but I ended up feeling I hadn't really got a clue what it was all about. :blush: I know how much you love Murakami so I'm glad this didn't disappoint. :)

Its an odd kind of book Janet but that's why I love it, the ending left everything open, which I also liked. :)

Nice review of The Strange Library. It sounds suitably bizarre! :giggle:

I have only read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle but I ended up feeling I hadn't really got a clue what it was all about. :blush:

That was my feeling about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and I don't actually believe I finished it. I got along a bit better with Kafka on the Shore, but not really familiar with his work, except that there is a lot of surrealism involved. I would like to read more of his books at some point, but I just have so many others on my TBR pile. :banghead:

Nice review of The Strange Library. It sounds suitably bizarre! :giggle:

That was my feeling about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and I don't actually believe I finished it. I got along a bit better with Kafka on the Shore, but not really familiar with his work, except that there is a lot of surrealism involved. I would like to read more of his books at some point, but I just have so many others on my TBR pile. :banghead:

There is always too many books Bobblybear :lol:

The First Days (As The World Dies~Book 1) by Rhiannon Frater ~ Started: 11.01.15 ~ Finished: 13.01.15

Title of Book: The First Days (As The World Dies~Book 1)

Name of Author: Rhiannon Frater

Edition: Kindle

ASIN: B004OA62U4

Number of Pages: 336

Synopsis ~

Katie is driving to work one beautiful day when a dead man jumps into her car and tries to eat her. That same morning, Jenni opens a bedroom door to find her husband devouring their toddler son.

Fate puts Jenni and Katie—total strangers—together in a pickup, fleeing the suddenly zombie-filled streets of the Texas city in which they live. Before the sun has set, they have become more than just friends and allies—they are bonded as tightly as any two people who have been to war together.

During their cross-Texas odyssey to find and rescue Jenni’s oldest son, Jenni discovers the joy of watching a zombie’s head explode when she shoots its brains out. Katie learns that she’s a terrific tactician—and a pretty good shot.

A chance encounter puts them on the road to an isolated, fortified town, besieged by zombies, where fewer than one hundred people cling to the shreds of civilization.

It looks like the end of the world. But Katie and Jenni and many others will do whatever they have to to stay alive. Run, fight, pick each other up when they stumble, fall in love…anything is possible at the end of the world. 

'The First Days' is the story of Katie and Jenni, two very different women who find each other when they least expect it

The story begins with Jenni about to be attacked by her son, Mikey who has turned into a zombie after being bitten by his father, Lloyd, while Jenni's youngest son, Benji, also turned, tries to get to his mother, his baby fingers searching underneath the door. As Jenni stands in shock outside her house waiting for her family to attack her, she is saved by Katie who was attacked, having being dragged from her car and saved by a Reverend, who loses his life, then returned home to find her wife had been turned. As they drive away, Katie and Jenni face the unknown, their worlds have changed and they do not know what will happen next.

What I thought of 'The First Days' ~ 

I enjoyed 'The First Days', it had a great story and an interesting insight of the zombie genre.  Jenni and Katie are strong characters who both have difficult pasts and rather than dwell on them, they keep fighting to survive.  

The first chapter is very memorable and does set the whole feeling of the whole book, fear, desperation and facing loss.

The only downside of the book is the editing, there are some errors throughout the book.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Rating:  4/5

Fighting to Survive (As The World Dies~Book 2) by Rhiannon Frater ~ Started: 13.01.15 ~ Finished: 15.01.15

Title of Book: Fighting to Survive (As The World Dies~Book 2)

ASIN: B0056DTRL4

Number of Pages: 365

Synopsis ~

Picking up where The First Days ends, Fighting to Survive features the further zombie-killing, civilization-saving adventures of a pair of sexy, kick butt heroines and the men who love them. A hundred or so survivors of the zombie plague have found tenuous safety in the walled off centre of a small Texas town. Now the hard work of survival begins—finding enough food; creating safe, weather-resistant shelter; establishing laws; and fighting off both the undead who want to eat them and the living bandits who want to rob and kill them. 

'Fighting to Survive' continues from the first book as Jenni and Katie adapt to life living in Ashley Oaks, a small Texas town which managed to close itself off during the first days of the zombie attacks and now is working to build a fort to protect themselves from the outside world. Jenni and Katie find themselves developing relationships whilst facing obstacles.  As the community work together to make their community safe, there is more trouble on the horizon, bandits who steal and kill wherever they go and are heading towards the fort that Jenni and Katie call home.

What I thought of 'Fighting to Survive' ~

I enjoyed 'Fighting to Survive', there was action and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the community in the fort. I also enjoyed see Jenni change to a more confident and happier person.  As the story progressed you meet more of the individuals of the fort and the issues that are raised by living in such close proximity which I enjoyed.

There was also mystery in this book as the fort have to face the wrath of the unknown vigilante who has decided they have the right to decide who lives or die.

The only downside of the book is the editing, there are some errors throughout the book.

Now on to the third and final book in the series.

Rating:  4/5

Siege (As The World Dies~Book 3) by Rhiannon Frater ~ Started: 15.01.15 ~ Finished: 18.01.15

Title of Book: Siege (As The World Dies~Book 3)

ASIN: B0071VUTLQ

Number of Pages: 365

Synopsis ~

Siege is the conclusion to Rhiannon Frater’s As the World Dies trilogy, which should appeal to fans of The Walking Dead. Both The First Days and Fighting to Survive won the Dead Letter Award from Mail Order Zombie. The First Days was named one of the Best Zombie Books of the Decade by the Harrisburg Book Examiner.

The zombie illness has shattered civilization. The survivors who have found tenuous safety in Texas defend their fort against the walking dead and living bandits.

Katie has made peace with the death of her wife and is pregnant and married to Travis, who has been elected Mayor. Jenni, her stepson, Jason; and Juan—Travis’s righthand man—are a happy family, though Jenni suffers from PTSD. Both women are deadly zombie killers.

In Siege, the people of Ashley Oaks are stunned to discover that the vice president of the United States is alive and commanding the remnants of the US military. What’s left of the US government has plans for this group of determined survivors. 

''Siege' is the conclusion to Katie and Jenni's story.  Katie and Jenni are happily living in the fort in the town of Ashley Oaks, both with partners, Katie is about to start a family with her husband, Travis.  Jenni and Juan are raising Jason, Jenni's step-son together, unfortunately Jenni is suffering from PTSD, she feels guilty about the death of her sons and is haunted by their memories.  

Life in Ashley Oaks changes when they find out that the military are watching the fort and they want to take over, as the community get ready for another fight, life will never be the same again. 

What I thought of 'Siege' ~ 

'Siege' was a good ending to a decent series, Katie and Jenni are great characters to read and you want them to find happiness.  There is a lot of surprises in this book which made for interesting reading. 

I hope to read more books by Rhiannon Frater.

Rating: 4/5

Where the Trains Turn by Pasi Iimari Jaaskelainen ~ Started: 18.01.15 ~ Finished: 19.01.15

Title of Book: Where the Trains Turn

Name of Author: Pasi Iimari Jaaskelainen

ASIN: B00N6LRIY6

Number of Pages: 84

Synopsis ~

I don’t like to think about the past. But I cannot stop remembering my son.

Emma Nightingale prefers to remain grounded in reality as much as possible. Yet she’s willing to indulge her nine year-old son Rupert’s fascination with trains, as it brings him closer to his father, Gunnar, from whom she is separated. Once a month, Gunnar and Rupert venture out to follow the rails and watch the trains pass. Their trips have been pleasant, if uneventful, until one afternoon Rupert returns in tears. “The train tried to kill us,” he tells her.

Rupert’s terror strikes Emma as merely the product of an overactive imagination. After all, his fears could not be based in reality, could they?

'Where the Trains Turn' is the story of Emma Nightingale and her son, Rupert who live beside a railway track which Rupert loves because of his fascination with trains.  Rupert is not like other boys, he is happier playing alone and talking to birds, which worries Emma and she tries to help him find other interests which Rupert does, one interest leads him to eventually become a lawyer. 

Once a month, Rupert and his father, Gunnar go out to follow the trains, their trips have always been a event that both of them enjoyed until the day Rupert returns upset and eventually telling his mother that the train had tried to kill him and his father.  What started off as fascination becomes an obsession for Rupert and his mother questioning what is real and what is false.

What I thought of 'Where the Trains Turn' ~ 

I enjoyed 'Where the Trains Turn', it was strange and sometimes unsettling (more so because I live beside a railway track), I love the atmosphere of the book especially the thoughts of Emma from her worries to her happiness about Rupert and how his life had changed.  

I read  Pasi Iimari Jaaskelainen's novel, 'The Rabbit Back Literature Society' last year and I enjoyed it from start to finish, 'Where the Trains Turn' is just as good.  The only downside was the story was so short,  I wanted to know more.

I look forward to reading more books by the author.

Rating: 3/5

I'll have to give The First Days a try, I was just thinking yesterday that my long short list for the year needs a zombie book or two

You should definitely give it a try Anna :)

Ooh I like the sound of Where The Trains Turn - sounds really unusual. Great reviews Paula :)

Thanks Noll, I think you will enjoy it :)

The Future Collection by Beth Revis ~ Started: 19.01.15 ~ Finished: 22.01.15

Title of Book: The Future Collection

Name of Author: Beth Revis

ASIN: B00RZT2FFC

Number of Pages: 127

Synopsis ~

DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY: A young woman wakes up in a cryomed ward of a hospital. As she recalls what led to her confinement, she starts to realize just what the consequences of her actions were, and how much time has passed since she was injured.

THE MOST PRECIOUS MEMORY: In a world where memories can be bought and sold as highly addictive drugs, one transaction takes an unusual turn. *Note*: this story was previously published in the Soothe The Savage Beast anthology.

THE GIRL AND THE MACHINE: A man has limited abilities to travel through time, but a cute girl pops up in his life, informing him that her time machine can open the door to far greater powers. But there's something ominous about it... *Note*: This story is available as an individual short in Amazon.

LAG: A reporter had been chasing down a lead...but after a malfunction in the teleporter she used, she's forgotten what the lead was. Now she's searching for clues in her own life to discover what it was she's missing.

THE TURING TEST: A college student participates in a turing test to see if she can distinguish which of the two subjects is human and which is an android. *Note:* A version of this story is a part of the Special Edition of THE BODY ELECTRIC novel and was previously published in Lightspeed Magazine.

AS THEY SLIP AWAY: A group of artists on a generation space ship that reviles art is given a unique assignment, one that draws one young lady far too close to a possessive man protected by the ship's government. *Note:* This short story is available free online and is linked to the ACROSS THE UNIVERSE world.

Also included in this collection are end notes, describing the inspiration behind each short story and hidden clues and allusions to sci fi classics.

The collection concludes with two sample chapters from Beth's latest book, THE BODY ELECTRIC. 

What I thought of 'The Future Collection ~ 

I enjoyed 'The Future Collection' from start to finish and I looked forward to reading it because I enjoyed the 'Across the Universe' series so much. 

'The Future Collection' definitely packs a punch, all of the stories are well written and full of potential to become novels. 

My favourite stories were 'Doctor-Patient Confidentiality', The Girl and the Machine' (I love how it ended) and 'As They Slip Away' which is a story from the 'Across the Universe' world and its the story of Bartie, Victria, Kayleigh, Harley, Luthor (Luthe), Orion, Doc and Selene.  Selene was 'the rabbit girl' who meets Amy in 'Across the Universe'.  'As They Slip Away' is a sad story, Selene never gets a chance of happiness and you want her to have happiness. I also enjoyed being back on Godspeed. The story highlights as it did in 'Across the Universe', the struggle of living in a enclosed place, people are seen for their skills, not as people which does not help Selene when she needs help.

This is a great collection of stories.

The only downside of the book is that I wished the stories were longer. 

There is also a excerpt from 'The Body Electric' which I am planning to read.

Rating: 4/5