Weave

This House is Haunted by John Boyne ~ Started: 01.01.15 ~ Finished: 04.01.15

Name of Book: This House is Haunted

Title of Book: John Boyne

Edition: Kindle

ASIN: B00BUB5DPK 

Number of Pages: 301

Synopsis ~

1866, London. As Charles Dickens takes to a London stage on a foggy Autumn night to read from his ghost stories, Eliza Caine and her father settle into their seats. A huge admirer of the novelist, Mr Caine has insisted on attending, despite his worsening cold.  Returning home, a fever hits him and within 24 hours he is dead, leaving Eliza alone in the world.  A teacher by trade, Eliza notices an advertisement for a governess position at Gaudlin Hall in Norfolk. 

Deciding that she needs to start over, she applies for and is offered the job. Arriving at Thorpe station she is almost pushed beneath a train but is saved by two villagers who, although initially friendly, become quiet and uneasy when she mentions the position she has accepted. Arriving at Gaudlin, Eliza meets the two children in her care, Isabella and Eustace. To her surprise, they appear to live there alone. There are no parents, no adults at all, and no one to represent her employer. The children, however, seem to expect her and show her to her room. From the night she arrives a series of disturbing incidents take place, each one of which threatens her life, and slowly Eliza begins to believe that this house is haunted. A solicitor in the village reveals some of the secrets of Gaudlin to her, others she must discover for herself. 

The action takes us from a London classroom to a Norfolk grand estate, and from a small Spanish town to a graveyard in Great Yarmouth. Elizabeth refuses to be frightened away from her position; if she is to survive Maudlin and save the children, then she must take on the ghost herself. 

'This House is Haunted' is the story of Eliza Caine, a 21 year old schoolteacher raised by her father following the sudden death of her mother. Eliza has had a somewhat sheltered childhood and depends on her father. Eliza's life changes with her father's untimely death following his attendance at a reading by Charles Dickens. 

Suffering from grief, Eliza decides she needs a change from the life she has always known and applies for a position as a Governess at Gaudlin House, as soon as Eliza arrives at the train station to begin her journey to Gaudlin, she is pushed in front of a oncoming train, it's the quick thinking of the local doctor which saves Eliza.

Eliza begins her stay at Gaudlin House but as she quickly discovers there is something wrong , there is a unseen presence at Gaudlin House and it seems to be targeting Eliza. 

What I thought of 'This House is Haunted ~

I did enjoy 'This House is Haunted' in many ways, the story was interesting, it did engage me and I did want to find out how it would end. However, I found myself not connecting to the main character/narrator Eliza Caine at all, she was likeable and I felt that she coped with what was happening to her as well as could be expected but the majority of the conversations she had seem to lead to her 'throwing her hands in the air' but in all fairness she had a good reason. 

The children of the story Isabella & Eustace were stronger characters especially Isabella, who is a very confident girl who intimidates Eliza, while Eustace is confused by all the changes in his life and wants to be loved.

The intensity of the story is good to read as secrets are revealed and Eliza faces the unknown. 

Parts of the story reminded me of 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James which did not put me off as much as I thought it would, 'The Turn of the Screw' is a stronger story. 

The ending was expected and slightly disappointing. 

All in all, a decent ghost story.

Rating: 3/5

Edited by Weave

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, interesting review! The 'throwing her hands in the air' thing sounds like it would definitely annoy me, and it's a shame that it had a disappointing and predictable ending. Maybe I'll hold off adding this one to my wishlist for now. :)

Ooh, interesting review! The 'throwing her hands in the air' thing sounds like it would definitely annoy me, and it's a shame that it had a disappointing and predictable ending. Maybe I'll hold off adding this one to my wishlist for now. :)

Oh don't let me put you off (not that it would), it is a decent read, just not a great story, there was definite potential, it just seemed to be lacking. And the 'throwing the hands in the air' was very annoying! :lol:

If I ever read the book, I'll surely think of you and smile every time I read the phrase.  :giggle:

I like that idea :lol:

Interesting review! The premise sounds very good, so a shame the ending was predictable :(

Happy reading in 2015!

EDIT: I just wished you happy 2915, so we're all quite old and presumably surrounded by robots :giggle2:

Edited by Alexi

Interesting review! The premise sounds very good, so a shame the ending was predictable :(

Happy reading in 2015!

EDIT: I just wished you happy 2915, so we're all quite old and presumably surrounded by robots :giggle2:

Hopefully, I would get a robot to do the vacuuming for me :lol:

Have a great reading year Alexi :)

Hope you have a lovely reading year in 2015, Weave! :)

I love your avatar. :D

Thank you Signor, you too, I like your avatar too, what is he or she's name? :)

It's Totoro, from My Neighbour Totoro :). At least, that's what I think..

P.S. I like both your avatars!

It is Totoro :) Well spotted Athena :)

Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood ~ Started: 04.01.15 ~ Finished: 10.01.15

Title of Book: Stone Mattress: Nine Tales
Name of Author: Margaret Atwood
Edition: Kindle
ASIN: B00MVNFCHK 
Number of Pages: 290

Synopsis ~

A recently widowed fantasy writer is guided through a stormy winter evening by the voice of her late husband. An elderly lady with Charles Bonnet’s syndrome comes to terms with the little people she keeps seeing, while a newly-formed populist group gathers to burn down her retirement residence. A woman born with a genetic abnormality is mistaken for a vampire. And a crime committed long-ago is revenged in the Arctic via a 1.9 billion year old stromatalite.

In these nine tales, Margaret Atwood ventures into the shadowland earlier explored by fabulists and concoctors of dark yarns such as Robert Louis Stevenson, Daphne du Maurier and Arthur Conan Doyle – and also by herself, in her award-winning novel Alias Grace. In Stone Mattress,Margaret Atwood is at the top of her darkly humorous and seriously playful game

What I thought of 'Stone Mattress: Nine Tales' ~ 

I enjoyed 'Stone Mattress: Nine Tales', my favourite stories being 'Lusus Naturae', 'I Dream of Zenia with the Bright Red Teeth' and 'The Dead Hand Loves You'.  All the stories are written well with Margaret Atwood's humour and wit.

I enjoyed 'I Dream of Zenia with the Bright Red Teeth' because it went back to the characters of 'Charis', 'Roz' and 'Tony' from 'The Robber Bride', another favourite book of mines by Margaret Atwood, I enjoyed finding out what happened to the three women.

The beauty of the stories are what you take from them, which I have always enjoyed when reading any Margaret Atwood books.

All of the stories definitely leave an impression.

Rating: 4/5
Edited by Weave

I'm glad you enjoyed the short stories by Margaret Atwood :). From what I hear, people have mixed opinions about her work. It's nice the stories left an impression on you :).

Thanks Athena :)

Good review for Stone Mattress.  Have you read the Positron series yet?  I think it is only on Kindle.  They are 4 stories of about 50 pages, in case you haven't read them.  Just thought to ask you :smile: I plan on reading them this year, probably for a read a thon.

Good review for Stone Mattress.  Have you read the Positron series yet?  I think it is only on Kindle.  They are 4 stories of about 50 pages, in case you haven't read them.  Just thought to ask you :smile: I plan on reading them this year, probably for a read a thon.

Thanks Anna, I have read the Positron series and I enjoyed,  I am not sure if there will be another one released, I hope so :)

The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami ~ Started: 10.01.15 ~ Finished: 11.01.15

Title of Book: The Strange Library

Name of Author Haruki Murakami

Edition: Hardback

ISBN-10 1846559219 

Number of Pages: 88

Synopsis ~

'All I did was go to the library to borrow some books'.

On his way home from school, the young narrator of The Strange Library finds himself wondering how taxes were collected in the Ottoman Empire. He pops into the local library to see if it has a book on the subject. This is his first mistake.

Led to a special 'reading room' in a maze under the library by a strange old man, he finds himself imprisoned with only a sheep man, who makes excellent donuts, and a girl, who can talk with her hands, for company. His mother will be worrying why he hasn't returned in time for dinner and the old man seems to have an appetite for eating small boy's brains. How will he escape? 

'The Strange Library' tells the story of an unnamed narrator who goes to his local library one day to return books and borrow books on the subject 'how taxes were collected in the Ottoman Empire', he does get the book but finds himself locked in a cell by a old man who tells him he has a month to read three books on the subject, if not, the consequences will not be good.  The narrator finds himself with two people for company, a man in a sheep suit and a girl who talks with her hands.  How will he escape?

What I thought of 'The Strange Library ~ 

I am a very big fan of Haruki Murakami, so it's fair to say that I can be quite biased but I have yet to read any of his books that I have not enjoyed and this is definitely the case with 'The Strange Library', I enjoyed it from start to finish.

'The Secret Library' is short, it's 88 pages but the story has all the traits that make Haruki Murakami such a wonderful writer, it's strange, it's supernatural, funny and best of all, the 'Sheepman' from 'A Wild Sheep Chase' & 'Dance Dance Dance' is one of the characters as one of the companions to the narrator, the other being a young girl who talks with her hands.

Despite the length of the book there is so much to take from the book, the narrator's fears for his mother, his own fears from the past and the always memorable character of The Sheepman who is such a mysterious and lovely character (well to me he is).  I would have liked to have known more about the young girl but hopefully she will appear in another Haruki Murakami story.

A story to be treasured.

Rating: 5/5

Edited by Weave

Terrific review, Paula! I badly want to read to read this. After all, it's Murakami and it's about a library, so what's not to be excited about? :D

I hope you enjoy it Kylie, I think its a good start for starting to read his other books :)

I found a book called The Strange Library, is it the same book as The Secret Library?

Referring to this book - http://m.bookdepository.com/Strange-Library-Haruki-Murakami/9781846559211

Edit: removed .

Edited by Devi

I found a book called The Strange Library, is it the same book as The Secret Library?

Referring to this book - http://m.bookdepository.com/Strange-Library-Haruki-Murakami/9781846559211.

Your link needs the . removed at the end. I'd do it for you but I'm not sure if you like me editing your posts or not, or whether you'd rather do it yourself.