Janet's Log - Stardate 2015

Janet

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Elizabeth is Missing keeps tempting me in Waterstone's but I haven't given in yet. Noll's review tempted me further but I shall now wait for your review Janet :D 

Love the look of the Carol Ann Duffy .. what exquisite little books she produces (well .. her publisher produces I mean .. makes you want to collect them all.)

I looked at Elizabeth is Missing the other day, so will be keen to hear your thoughts on that one - whenever you get to it!

I read it a couple of weeks back, and enjoyed it. Was a tad underwhelmed plotwise but absolutely brilliantly written and worth reading for that alone. (Review's in my thread if anyone wants to read it.)

I hope you like your new books :).

Elizabeth is Missing keeps tempting me in Waterstone's but I haven't given in yet. Noll's review tempted me further but I shall now wait for your review Janet :D

Thanks all. :) I'm not sure when I'll read it, but I don't want to leave it too long before I do. I have two books on the go at the moment - Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey, which I started this morning, and I also started on our group read of Middlemarch by George Eliot this morning.  I need to start my book club book soon too, as I don't really fancy it - which normally means it's going to take me forever to read (unless it turns out to be an unexpectedly pleasant surprise!).  :)

Love the look of the Carol Ann Duffy .. what exquisite little books she produces (well .. her publisher produces I mean .. makes you want to collect them all.)

They're gorgeous, aren't they.  :)  I can't remember if you like poetry or not? You like some, I think? I studied her book The World's Wife for A level English a few years ago.  It's quite feminist stuff.  I found it very enjoyable.

Thanks all. :) I'm not sure when I'll read it, but I don't want to leave it too long before I do. I have two books on the go at the moment - Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey, which I started this morning, and I also started on our group read of Middlemarch by George Eliot this morning.  I need to start my book club book soon too, as I don't really fancy it - which normally means it's going to take me forever to read (unless it turns out to be an unexpectedly pleasant surprise!).  :)

How are you getting on with Cheerful Weather for the Wedding? I thought it was a little gem but it was quite different to what I expected. I liked Middlemarch but it was at times a struggle (not difficult just detailed) .. lovely writing though. Ideal for a group read though .. you can take it in sections :)  

They're gorgeous, aren't they.  :)  I can't remember if you like poetry or not? You like some, I think? I studied her book The World's Wife for A level English a few years ago.  It's quite feminist stuff.  I found it very enjoyable.

I should read more poetry .. I'm quite scared of it  :blush2: I think I could get on with Carol Ann's .. it's when it gets too deep I'm lost. I'd like to read Stephen Fry's An Ode Less Travelled .. to see if it might help me even though it's more about writing your own poetry. Stephen could teach me anything I'm sure ... I need to unlock the part of my brain that always thinks, when it's faced with poetry ..  'I'm not going to understand it'  :blush2: 

I've only read a few pages of Cheerful Weather... but I'm loving it so far.   :) 

I'm not a big poetry reader but I do enjoy poetry more since doing my GCSE and A Level English courses at college - although I do sometimes think that maybe some poets wrote their poetry to be read and enjoyed rather than analysed.  :giggle:

I must admit, that was always my sarky answer in GCSE English! That and "how do you know the poet meant x by her use of the word brown? Maybe she just wanted to make it rhyme"! 

Fortunately I was quite good at English so I was left alone. The teacher left me with a hatred of the subject though so I didn't pursue it to A Level even though I probably should have done. :( 

How are you finding Middlemarch? I'm wondering when to start it. I'm about to finish my current book and wondering if I can squeeze in another before starting on it. 

My sentiments exactly - maybe the poet just likes sibilant words and rhymes rather than writing it for any particular hidden  meaning! :lol:

I've only read the first two chapters so far, so I'm not very far in, but what I've read so far has been good.   :)  I have no clue how long Book 1 is though, because the Kindle version thoughtfully </sarcasm> doesn't have any chapters in the 'go to' section - you get prologue or the end.  Very helpful!  :rolleyes:

I love the covers, happy reading :) I just downloaded 'Elizabeth is Missing' on to my kindle :)

Edited by Weave

And the other one (which has been on my wish list for ages) was only 10p!    Cheerful.gif  ETA:  Or maybe three shillings and sixpence... whatever that is!  :giggle2:  17½p?!

2015%20New%20Books%204%20-%2023.01.15_zp

Oh, that is a lovely Puffin book you've got there, Janet  :wub:

My sentiments exactly - maybe the poet just likes sibilant words and rhymes rather than writing it for any particular hidden meaning! :lol:

I've only read the first two chapters so far, so I'm not very far in, but what I've read so far has been good. :) I have no clue how long Book 1 is though, because the Kindle version thoughtfully </sarcasm> doesn't have any chapters in the 'go to' section - you get prologue or the end. Very helpful! :rolleyes:

Ugh. We have the same version I think so that delight awaits me!

The book box was kind and drew out what I think will be a very quick read anyway. I'm really looking forward to Middlemarch, but im nervous too :giggle2:

Ugh. We have the same version I think so that delight awaits me!

The book box was kind and drew out what I think will be a very quick read anyway. I'm really looking forward to Middlemarch, but im nervous too :giggle2:

Not sure if it helps, but book one is twelve chapters.  I'll have a look at the paperback later on and put some real page numbers to the chapters for you, so it might help try and figure out how you're getting on. :)

I downloaded the Kindle app to my tablet this morning in the hope of reading some at work in my lunchtime (it didn't happen, but there is no harm in pointless optimism :giggle2: ).

Bizarrely on my tablet the index has links to the start of each book, so that's something at least. :)

From the little I've read it doesn't seem as scary as I had anticipated, but I'm only at the start of chapter 3.

I've got to finish the book I'm reading, then I've got my library reading group book to read for this month, and then I'm going to make a start on Middlemarch.  Good to hear you're getting on well with it so far Janet :)  I've actually read book one before (but that was as far as I got :roll:), so this first instalment will be a re-read for me.  I think it's really just the size of it that I find daunting, not necessarily the writing, and I think I would probably put it off until the end of the challenge if we weren't reading it together!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted in here for over three weeks.  :o

I'm feeling a bit flustered.  I've been poorly since Saturday evening (I'm on the mend now, but boy did I feel rough) and I'm behind with my reviews.  I'm not even sure if I can remember enough about the books I'm behind on reviewing to write a review!  I did manage to finish The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory for Book Club (and over a week early, so no last minute cramming this time - yay!) which was okay.  I've also finished Book 1 of Middlemarch by George Eliot, which is a Counties Challenge challenge and a group read (I forget which county but I think it's one of the Midlands?!) and which I think we're starting to discuss soon?

I started Elizabeth is Missing by... Someone  (  :blush:  I'm still not right with it!) on the bus home today after meeting my Mum for lunch in Bath.  So far so good, although I think I overdid it in terms of venturing out today as I feel utterly washed out.  I ought to go to bed, but someone put the bedrooms upstairs in our house and it seems a long way to walk.    :blush2:  

Sorry for the self-indulgent post!  :lurker:   As you can probably tell I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today!  :drama::blush:

Thanks, Kylie and Claire. :)

I would have stayed downstairs but it's too cold at this time of year. I reckon I managed about 4 hours last night so I'm going to take it easy for today and just do some ironing later. (I like ironing! :blush: ).

I hope you feel better soon, Janet :flowers2:!

Yes, get well soon dear Janet xx  :hug:

So sorry to hear you've been so ill Janet. Glad you're on the mend and hope you are taking it easy! xx

Thank you, you lovely people.  :friends3:

I'm feeling better than I was but I'm still wiped out. I missed work on Monday but I'm going to go in tomorrow... although I imagine it'll be a long day!  :)

I finished Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey today.  I only started it at 1.30pm yesterday!  It *nearly* got a 5/5 but I think it's probably a 4/5.   Either way I enjoyed it very much.  :)