Janet's Log - Stardate 2015

Janet

Hope you have a great weekend full of books and chocolate, Janet!!!  :flowers2:

Thanks, Abby.  :D  Sounds like a great weekend!  I hope you have a great weekend too.  :hug:

Glad you had a good first day :)

I LOVE that mug. Matilda was my favourite book when I was in school. Soooo jealous. But then again I have a cool mug with Owls :P

Thanks.  :)  Owls are good too! :D

I'm glad you had a good first day, Janet :)!

Thanks, Gaia.  :)  :hug:

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

004-2015-Jan-17-HowSteepleSinderbyWander

How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won the FA Cup by J L Carr

The ‘blurb’

”Book-writing can be a tedious job needing some incentive to keep one at it.  The impulse here was ‘can this unbelievable feat be made to sound like the truth even though it didn’t happen?’

So I stacked the cards – a foreigner with remarkable theories, two young men with good reasons for having quite top-class football, a Chairman of Napoleonic ability.

Then I dredged up memories of 1930 when I was an unqualified teacher, 18 years of and playing that singles season for South Milford White Rose when we won a final which never ended. (Pitch invasion and furious fights are not new things).  I learnt much of rural life during that long-gone autumn, winter and early spring…..

But is this story believable?  Ah, it all depends on whether you want to believe it.”  J L Carr 1992

I loved A Month in the Country when I read it a few years ago and have managed to pick up a couple more of Carr’s novels in local charity shops, including this title.

Most people who love football (and even some of us who don’t!  :P ), love to hear about ‘giant killers’ in the form of lower league teams who knock out the ‘big boys’ in the FA Cup.  I think I’m right in saying that it doesn’t happen very often, but when it does it’s a source of pride for the locals – most of whom probably haven’t even followed their team’s progress in the local newspaper!  This story tells of one such time and is based on Carr’s early teaching career when the team he played for won a football knockout tournament (I’m not sure what whether it was a ‘big’ one like the FA Cup or a local tournament!) despite the odds being against them.

Narrated by Mr Gidner, the Wanderers’ Hon. Secretary, as a sort of rough version of his notes which he is to adapt into a formal history of Steeple Sinderby Rangers’ unexpected triumph at the FA Cup, this book started off quite slowly for me, but it did pick up pace and I was willing Steeple Sinderby to make it to the final (even though the title made me think this was a likely outcome!).  I was amused by the team’s (arguably underhand) tactics which included

causing gridlock around the village and forcing the fans of the opposing team to listen to commentary in an adjoining field rather than at the (rather inadequate) pitch! 

It’s not quite up there with A Month in the Country but I did enjoy it. :)  I think those who actually follow football might get even more out of it (as long as they can cope with the fact that their team might even be one who get defeated along the way!  :P  ) but there is enough to keep non-fans interested in the story too.

The paperback edition is 124 pages long and is published by The Quince Tree Press.  It was first published in 1975.  The ISBN is 9780900847943.  

3½/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 17 January 2015)

I spent some of my Waterstone's voucher money on a new book today...

2015%20New%20Books%204b%20-%2029.01.15_z

It's one I've had on my wish list for some time.  :)

I'm pleased to report that the vile-sticker-of-evilness™  ( :irked: ) came off leaving the book unscathed!   :)

2015%20New%20Books%204a%20-%2029.01.15_z

I know!  That's just cruel.  It's not like she looks like the back end of a bus even! :giggle:   I really hate stickers, especially as I've had a few that have taken the shiny surface off the book off with them - but I hate leaving them on!

Aww shucks.  Ah well, probably a good thing not to visit a bookshop anyway … I've got more than enough to read at the moment! :D

Well yes, there is that!  :giggle:  I couldn't believe my luck - there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever!  :)

People who put non-easy peel stickers on books/cds/vinyl should be fired from a cannon into the sun  :motz:

There's a copy of Charles Darwin's Origin of Species in my local Waterstones for £2.50. Bargain but I'm trying to not spend money. Which is pretty easy when you don't have any :)

What a bargain .. and for such a lovely Persephone book too. I've read it and enjoyed it .. though it was different from what I imagined (most books are :D) Hope you enjoy it too Janet xx

Thanks, Kay. :hug: Have you seen the film? I want to see it when I've read the book.

People who put non-easy peel stickers on books/cds/vinyl should be fired from a cannon into the sun :motz:

Absolutely! canonsmilienono_zps6kcigkq0.gif

There's a copy of Charles Darwin's Origin of Species in my local Waterstones for £2.50. Bargain but I'm trying to not spend money. Which is pretty easy when you don't have any :)

That is a bargain. I bought this with a gift voucher, although for under £2 I'd probably have bought it with cash anyway. :)

Bit late catching up, but love your review of How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won The F. A. Cup, Janet. :)  I loved reading it, and I think Carr achieved his goal to make an unbelievable feat believable.  I think A Month In The Country is possibly going to be the high point in his books, but I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the others too.  Luckily, my other half is a massive fan, and already owns all the books (and more than one copy of most of them!), as they're quite difficult to get hold of, but he's very protective of them.

Bit late catching up, but love your review of How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won The F. A. Cup, Janet. :)  I loved reading it, and I think Carr achieved his goal to make an unbelievable feat believable.  I think A Month In The Country is possibly going to be the high point in his books, but I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the others too.  Luckily, my other half is a massive fan, and already owns all the books (and more than one copy of most of them!), as they're quite difficult to get hold of, but he's very protective of them.

Thanks, Claire.  :)

I have the 'Pollock's Crossing' one on my shelf.    Goodness knows when I'll get round to it though.  :)

I'm a bit late catching up, too, but I hope the new job is going well, Janet :smile:

It went well last week, thanks.  :)  I'm looking forward to going again tomorrow! 

I can't begin to explain how good it is to have my weekends back!  In the last 19 years I have worked Saturdays and Sundays (with a 6am start) for 14 of them (with a five year gap in the middle).   Weekend working was perfect when the children were little, but now they're older it isn't necessary.

I actually went to the Tesco staff party last night - which is kind of ironic seeing as I've now left Tesco and had never been to one before due to having to get up at 5am the following day! 

I acquired two more books yesterday.  :blush:   As ever, this non-book-buying isn't going well.

2015%20New%20Books%205b%20-%2001.02.15_z

2015%20New%20Books%205%20-%2001.02.15_zp

The first one I didn't buy before Christmas in case one of my family did (I have other Christmas books of the same format by Carol Ann Duffy which they've bought in the past - and one that Kay bought a few years ago) but it was under £3 on Amazon so when I had occasion to order something else from Amazon I tagged it on as the postage was free.  The second I ordered for a friend for her birthday but it didn't arrive in time, so I bought her a different book in Tesco so I'll just have to keep this one myself!  :giggle:  I put it on my wish list after seeing it in Waterstone's in Exeter between Christmas and new year - I liked the sound of it, so keeping it isn't a hardship.  :)

I acquired two more books yesterday.  :blush:   As ever, this non-book-buying isn't going well.

The second I ordered for a friend for her birthday but it didn't arrive in time, so I bought her a different book in Tesco so I'll just have to keep this one myself!  :giggle:  I put it on my wish list after seeing it in Waterstone's in Exeter between Christmas and new year - I liked the sound of it, so keeping it isn't a hardship.  :)

I looked at Elizabeth is Missing the other day, so will be keen to hear your thoughts on that one - whenever you get to it! 

I read it a couple of weeks back, and enjoyed it. Was a tad underwhelmed plotwise but absolutely brilliantly written and worth reading for that alone. (Review's in my thread if anyone wants to read it.)