Janet's Log - Stardate 2015

Janet

Claire's recommendation of The Dynamite Room put it on my wish list and yours has now pushed it onto the TBR.... Whoops. ;)

Hope you enjoy the book club choice J. I used to read quite a few of hers although I haven't for years. I find it much easier if I try and forget they're supposed to be accurate though!

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't have to work yesterday!  :o   It's the first Saturday I haven't had to take as holiday since October 2005!  I normally get up for work at 5am.

To celebrate I didn't get up until 9am Peter and I had a day out.  We went to Weston-super-MudMare and had a walk around the town, round a park we've never discovered before, and along the sea front.  It was a gorgeous day here yesterday!  

05.%20Coast%201_zpseruzfkpg.jpg

I start my new job tomorrow.   I'm nervous and excited all wrapped up in one!  :giggle2:

Peter bought me a new mug to take to the office with me.  :wub:

IMG_5413_zpskmny7wps.jpg

IMG_5414_zpsgk9fj3ko.jpg

Good times!

I haven't even opened my book since Friday though.  :o

Thanks  :)  The mug came from Waterstone's.  They had a BFG one in the window, but I wasn't so keen on that. I asked and the assistant if they had any more and she said she could 'only find a Matilda one' - but that was what I'd just said to Peter that I'd like if they had one!  Cheerful.gif

Lovely pics Janet, I love doing things on days when I normally have to do something less fun! Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you will be fantastic.

Janet, I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

Lovely photos, I hope your work goes well :).

Thanks both of you. :)

Just don't behave like Matilda!

:giggle: I'll try not to!

003-2015-Jan-11-ALittleofWhatYouFancy_zp

A Little of What You Fancy by H E Bates

The ‘blurb’

’Mr Candy, the vicar, groping among the raspberry canes, stretched out a hand to steady himself, and instead found it grasping Primrose’s smooth naked shoulder.  Great God, he thought, how warm the flesh was.’

Things may be going well for Primrose Larkin, but they are far less ‘perfick’ for Pa Larkin.  For in this, the fifth delightful story of the Larkin family, Pa has a mild heart attack.  Even though the cunning Ma sends a succession of women up to his bedroom to tempt him back to health, he takes a long time to recover…

This is the final instalment in the Larkin Chronicles which started with the book The Darling Buds of May published 12 years earlier.  In this book, Pop suffers a heart attack after getting frisky with Ma once too often.  As he lies in bed recovering he becomes more and more despondent.  The family rally round to try to snap him out of it, but nothing seems to work.  However, a planning application threatens the Larkin’s farm and suddenly Pop may have a reason to fight after all…

This follows the same format as previous books - but it’s a format which I think is rather tired by book five, although this one, unlike the others, does have a more serious side to it.  I have enjoyed the books, but none lived up to the first for me really.   This book wasn’t part of the TV adaptation for some reason.

The paperback edition is 184 pages long and is published by Penguin.  It was first published in 1970.  The ISBN is 9780141029658.  

2½/5 (It was okay)

(Finished 11 January 2015)

That's a lovely pic of Weston-super-Mare, Janet (you Brits have the oddest place names! :P)

Can't wait to hear about your first day at your new job. Good luck! I love your new mug!!

Just don't behave like Matilda!

But those awful people had it coming, so Matilda's behaviour was perfectly acceptable!

Best of luck at your new job! I also love your mug. :) I hope you find a fellow reader at your new place of work.

What colour are the edges? (I love stationary! :lol: )

I love it too!  There are four colours.  The first section is this colour - but I can't recall the others.  :blush:  I'm pretty certain one is purple.  I will have to look on Friday!

That's a lovely pic of Weston-super-Mare, Janet (you Brits have the oddest place names! :P)

Can't wait to hear about your first day at your new job. Good luck! I love your new mug!!

But those awful people had it coming, so Matilda's behaviour was perfectly acceptable!

Weston isn't our favourite place, but we do love the seaside in winter and it's not too far from us.  We had a lovely walk along the seafront.

I had a really good first day, thanks. :)  I'm really tired now though!  I will soon get used to it, I'm sure.   And yes, you're right about Matilda - they deserved it!  I'm pleased to report that my new mug worked very well! 

Best of luck at your new job! I also love your mug. :) I hope you find a fellow reader at your new place of work.

Thank you.  :)  I'm not sure there are any readers.  I took my book to read in my lunch hour, but I didn't actually do so because I went on Facebook instead!  I shall take it again on Friday though. 

Hope you've had a good first day at your new job, Janet.  :flowers2:

Thanks. :)  I had a good day, thanks.  I'm going to like working there, I think.  :)