Janet

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you have a smashing reading year in 2015, Jänet! :smile2:  :hug:

TOTAL TO READ PILE 2014 and before (total left = 98/98)

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

This is like the mother of all great novels in the world :wub: I hope that's not hyping the book too much :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will enjoy it when you get to it!

Okay, I think I'm done for now, so I officially declare this thread open!  :D

firework_zps1be3b356.gif

Jääänet! It's awful nice of you to provide us with the beautiful fireworks, but why are you not watching it yourself? Eyes closed and back towards it... :lol:

I loved reading through your stats and comments on your last year's reading! :smile2: The male authors vs. female authors ratio was particularly interesting. Mine was the other way around! I wonder what could attribute to it. Many things, of course, but ... What things? :D

I'm happy that you didn't rate any books 1/5 this year! And coincidentally I didn't, either. I think it's one of the signs that we've had a great reading year :)

The geographical ratio of the novels you read was also very interesting to check out, and the centuries ratio. Fascinating stuff! :smile2:

I finished book #2 of 2015 today - The Time Machine by H G Wells.  :)

Thanks for the replies, Gaia and Sari.  I'm off to bed now - I've done two 5am starts for work and have another tomorrow (and Tuesday!) and I didn't sleep very well last night - so I'll reply properly tomorrow if that's okay?   :)

I finished book #2 of 2015 today - The Time Machine by H G Wells.  :)

Thanks for the replies, Gaia and Sari.  I'm off to bed now - I've done two 5am starts for work and have another tomorrow (and Tuesday!) and I didn't sleep very well last night - so I'll reply properly tomorrow if that's okay?   :)

I hope you've slept better last night :). There's no rush in replying, I can be patient :). I'm also curious to hear what you thought of The Time Machine.

Of course! It's your reading log, you can get back to people when (and even if :giggle2:) you want to! :smile2: I've been very late with some of my replies in my reading log in the past few months, I'm sometimes surprised people will want to comment anymore :blush: Trying to do better this year.... 

I hope you had a good night's sleep last night!  :sleeping-smiley-009

I've had to cull some emoticons.

Great statistics, Janet! Very interesting to read :).

Thanks, Gaia.  :)  I wasn't sure if I was going to bother this year as it was quite time-consuming collating them, but I did it over a few days so it wasn't so bad. 

I hope you have a smashing reading year in 2015, Jänet!  

1. This is like the mother of all great novels in the world.  I hope that's not hyping the book too much  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will enjoy it when you get to it!

2. Jääänet! It's awful nice of you to provide us with the beautiful fireworks, but why are you not watching it yourself? Eyes closed and back towards it...

3. I loved reading through your stats and comments on your last year's reading!  The male authors vs. female authors ratio was particularly interesting. Mine was the other way around! I wonder what could attribute to it. Many things, of course, but ... What things?

4. I'm happy that you didn't rate any books 1/5 this year! And coincidentally I didn't, either. I think it's one of the signs that we've had a great reading year

5. The geographical ratio of the novels you read was also very interesting to check out, and the centuries ratio. Fascinating stuff!

1. I've read a couple of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's books aimed at young adults and loved the, so I have high hopes for The Shadow of the Wind  I am going to start it very soon. :)

2. I was just making sure my audience were safe!  :P

3. It was the opposite for me last year.  It's not a conscious thing - I just read what I fancy from my shelves next - unless it's a book club book or for a challenge.

4. I'm very happy with my reading last year. Only a couple of 2 star books and plenty of 4s and 5s. I can't ask for more than that.  :D

5. Thanks. :)

I hope you have a good year.  :hug:

I loved the Time Machine. It's how I like my sci-fi, a reflection on society and the 'big questions' rather than just about lazers and spaceships. It remains the only Wells I have read but it won't be for too long.

I'm also keen to hear your thoughts on The Time Machine - it's on my TBR. Although with the amount of books on there, it might help if you said you hated it :lol:

It's only 100 pages long, you'll finish it in a couple of hours  :D

It's how I like my sci-fi, a reflection on society and the 'big questions' rather than just about lazers and spaceships.

Heathen  :P  :D 

It remains the only Wells I have read but it won't be for too long.

The War of the Worlds and The Island of Doctor Moreau are unmissable  :smile:

I hope you've slept better last night :).

I hope you had a good night's sleep last night!  :sleeping-smiley-009

I didn't sleep that well the night before last but I had a great night last night and feel suitably refreshed now, thanks both. :)

I'm also keen to hear your thoughts on The Time Machine - it's on my TBR. Although with the amount of books on there, it might help if you said you hated it :lol:

Okay, I hated it!  :P

How did you find The Time Machine? I really enjoyed the older SF I've read, including Wells. :)

I'm also curious to hear what you thought of The Time Machine.

The Time Machine  :D  Wow, good start!  :D

I loved the Time Machine. It's how I like my sci-fi, a reflection on society and the 'big questions' rather than just about lazers and spaceships. It remains the only Wells I have read but it won't be for too long.

Okay, don't tell Alex, ( :giggle2: ) but I loved it!  :D  I am trying to catch up with last year's reviews but I will try to post my thoughts about it soon. 

I read The War of the Worlds last year or the year before and thought it was brilliant, Melodious.  :)  Like Steve, I recommend it.   And thanks, Steve for the recommendation of The Island of Doctor Moreau - I am looking forward to trying that some time (goodness knows when?!). :)

I really like vintage sci-fi.  :D

You really started your log with a 'bang' with those fireworks, didn't you?  :giggle: Very cool.

I'm slowly working my way through the 2015 blogs on here!

My goodness, it's exhausting, isn't it? But so much fun! It's my favourite time of year on the forum. :exc: I usually forget to check the first page or two of people's logs throughout the year to see the updates, so I like to make sure I check them properly now.

Your analysis is so thorough and wonderful! You must have some really impressive and detailed spreadsheets set up. :) I can't help but notice that Frankie seems to be the only one reading more female than male authors. She's a bit strange, isn't she? I wonder why that is? :D

It's impressive that you managed to find a book for your world challenge for Lesotho. I know that country well (or maybe I've never heard of it before *blush*).

I hope you have a fantastic reading year.  :friends3:

Your analysis is so thorough and wonderful! You must have some really impressive and detailed spreadsheets set up. :) I can't help but notice that Frankie seems to be the only one reading more female than male authors. She's a bit strange, isn't she? I wonder why that is? :D

I'm a modern woman :drama:

:lol: 

Well, the bad news is that I have now acquired my first book of the year.   The good news is that my Mum bought it for me!  She also bought me a copy of Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell, but that doesn't count as I have already read it!  :P

Sorry about the shocking photo! 

2015 New Books 1 - 09.01.15.JPG

Janet, I'm thoroughly shocked! :P

Susan Cooper, eh? I've read the first couple of books in her The Dark Is Rising series multiple times, and then despite adoring Over Sea, Under Stone, never gotten any further with them (my fault entirely, not hers, I don't doubt). Never thought of looking into anything else she's written.

I stayed at my Mum's last night and this morning we took some donations to a 'pop-up' charity shop in her town and they had a sign outside saying "4 paperbacks for £1" so she bought two for me and two for herself.  I was drawn to the cover (the photo really doesn't do it justice) which is gold and sparkly!   The book is about the plague and (I think from the blurb) it's set 'now' and in 1599 - it sounds good.  :)

I read The Dark is Rising at the end of 2013 and thought it was great.  I am keeping an eye out for the others in that series in charity shops.  :)