Janet's Log - Stardate 2015

Janet

002-2015-Jan-02-TheTimeMachine_zpsb8e5db

The Time Machine by H G Wells

The ‘blurb’
This is the tale of a Victorian time traveller who creates a machine which takes him 800,000 years into the future, to a divided world of innocence and knowledge.

Vintage sci-fi is a genre that I seem to find deeply satisfying, despite my best intentions! :P  I thoroughly enjoyed Wells’ novel The War of the Worlds which I read a few years ago.  I was familiar with that storyline as the Jeff Wayne musical is a staple CD on long journeys in our car, and having enjoyed it I resolved to read more of his works.

The Time Machine tells the story of a Victorian scientist who, over dinner, recounts his adventures with a time machine he has invented.  The novel is narrated by an unnamed guest at the dinner party and the guests listen in amazement at the incredible tales the scientist tells – they seem completely unbelievable.  He recounts how he has visited the year 802,701 where he encountered a race of what seemed to be evolved humans.  Initially he believed it to be a kind of utopia, but it quickly became apparent that all was not as it seemed and there was also something very sinister about the place. Not only that but his time machine was taken and he had to find it in order to make his way back to his own time…

This is a short but extremely enjoyable novel.  I actually found it to be quite chilling – more than I did the excellent The War of the Worlds.  Please do not read the spoiler if you haven’t read the book, but I know a few people have so I must say

that although the first part of the book was great, the period where he escapes the menacing species known as Morlocks and moves forward through time… well, let’s just say I found Wells’ vision of what he thought the end of the world might be like was really quite terrifying and I couldn’t stop thinking about it for some time.  

My review really doesn’t do this justice, but if you like sci-fi –particularly of the vintage variety – then this is a must. 

The paperback edition is 144 pages long and is published by Penguin.  It was first published in 1895.  The ISBN is 9780141439976.   I read it on my Kindle.

5/5 (Loved it!)

(Finished 02 January 2015)

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done!  :D  I think you'll enjoy it - and it's a quick read.

I forgot to say in my review (not that it's to do with the book as such), but when I was reading the book I got to one scene and had a flashback of seeing something on the TV a long, long time ago.  I guess it would have been in the mid 70s when I was about 8/9 years old, so I did some Googling and what I was picturing was a scene from a film version of the book.  I only remember one little bit but I guess my Dad must have been watching it!  I'd forgotten all about it, but when I read that particular scene I pictured nearly exactly what I must have seen on TV (I hope this rambling nonsense is making some sort of sense  :giggle:  ).  

I loved The Time Machine  :)

I know some people dislike the heavy laden of social commentary on class division but I lap that kind of thing up, especially when it's done in such a compelling way as Wells did. 

So glad you enjoyed it, Janet! I read the book a few years ago, but I must admit that the only part that has really stuck in my mind is that end scene. :o Any other parts of the book were overshadowed by the movie, which I've seen many times. It's a favourite of mine and my ex (although we never actually watched it together). I think the movie differs a bit from the book, but it's absolutely wonderful in its own right. I highly recommend watching it! There's a particular bit at the end of the movie that I'm pretty certain wasn't in the book, but it's really interesting and thought-provoking (there, have I talked you into watching it yet? :D)

Oh, and I love the look of the actual time machine in the movie. I can't remember if you're a fan of The Big Bang Theory, but there's a terrific episode where Leonard wins an eBay auction for what he thinks is a model of the time machine, but it turns out to be the actual full-sized prop from the movie. The gang all love it, but it's a little large for the apartment!  :) I've seen online where you can buy actual models (aren't they gorgeous?!) But I think they're really expensive. :( If I'd had the money, I would have bought one for my ex and/or me.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there!  :blush2:

I was sad to hear that Rod Taylor passed away just a couple of weeks ago. :( And he was an Aussie! (Sorry, but we don't have too many 'world-famous' actors. He was so gosh-darn good looking  :wub: )

Paddington.com do not show Dutch on their list of translations, although they clearly don't have the full list as Wikipedia says the books have been translated into 70 languages!

I did a quick search and I think some have been translated, though when I searched at one of our biggest online shops, indeed more than half the things on the first page were mugs, bags etc. and also some English books. There are some Dutch translations but sadly mostly out of print. Maybe the library has some.

Great review of The Time Machine! I read this book a few years ago and liked it too. Prior to reading the book I saw one of the films several times and I really liked that one. I was slightly disappointed when I read the book, that there were some differences. Other than that though I did like the book and I agree with your spoiler. 

Oh, and I love the look of the actual time machine in the movie. I can't remember if you're a fan of The Big Bang Theory, but there's a terrific episode where Leonard wins an eBay auction for what he thinks is a model of the time machine, but it turns out to be the actual full-sized prop from the movie. The gang all love it, but it's a little large for the apartment!  :) I've seen online where you can buy actual models (aren't they gorgeous?!) But I think they're really expensive. :( If I'd had the money, I would have bought one for my ex and/or me.

I love this episode!!

I actually found it to be quite chilling – more than I did the excellent The War of the Worlds.

:D   There are a few bits in The War of the Worlds that got me, particularly . . . 

the part where he's trapped in the building, and another where the battle passed right through the neck of the woods where I live  :hide:  :D  

that although the first part of the book was great, the period where he escapes the menacing species known as Morlocks and moves forward through time… well, let’s just say I found Wells’ vision of what he thought the end of the world might be like was really quite terrifying and I couldn’t stop thinking about it for some time.  

Very much so.  Any chance you'll go on and read this?  It's very good  :smile:

I love sci-fi of the vintage variety and so The Time Machine is definitely up my alley :D I saw the film on TV just before Christmas .. not sure how much it sticks to the story but .. eerie!! 

It sticks to the story quite well, generally - far more than the newer version, for sure :rolleyes:

I was sad to hear that Rod Taylor passed away just a couple of weeks ago. :(

Yes, I only heard about this the other day - just happened to be talking about him in the pub and a friend told me.  I always liked him - he was in some great films.

I will reply to the posts about The Time Machine later (thanks for all the comments  :)  ) as I'm not meant to be online at the moment (Book Club here tonight - I'm meant to be preparing food and cleaning the house!) but I just popped in to say that I have just got in from work (my last ever shift at Tesco!) and Peril at End House by Agatha Christie was on the floor in the hall.  It must have leapt off the bookcase at the bottom of the stairs by itself, because the shelves are quite deep so it can't have just fallen off by itself.  Spooky!  :ghost::hide::lurker:

Ooh. :hide: Maybe it's a sign that you should read it?

When I got home tonight there was an Agatha Christie movie playing on TV. When I saw your post I got excited because I thought it was the same one, and I was all prepared to take the blame credit for it. But it wasn't :( (it was Evil Under the Sun.)

Note: Emoticons culled (poor things) and some posts moved around a bit for ease of reply. :)

Good reviews! I bet you mean the film with Rod Taylor...?

I had a look and yes, that's the one. :) The bit I remember is (I'm not sure if it's really classed as a spoiler but I'll tag it just in case)

the Eloi in their pastel coloured clothing respond to a siren call.

I love sci-fi of the vintage variety and so The Time Machine is definitely up my alley I saw the film on TV just before Christmas .. not sure how much it sticks to the story but .. eerie!! Great review Janet :)

So glad you enjoyed it, Janet! I read the book a few years ago, but I must admit that the only part that has really stuck in my mind is that end scene.  Any other parts of the book were overshadowed by the movie, which I've seen many times. It's a favourite of mine and my ex (although we never actually watched it together). I think the movie differs a bit from the book, but it's absolutely wonderful in its own right. I highly recommend watching it! There's a particular bit at the end of the movie that I'm pretty certain wasn't in the book, but it's really interesting and thought-provoking (there, have I talked you into watching it yet? :D)

Oooh, spooky, Kay!

I may try the film if I come across it on the TV schedules, but I'm not a big one for watching films (or TV much, really) and my little mind tends to wander off it I'm not fully engaged. :blush:

I loved The Time Machine :)

I know some people dislike the heavy laden of social commentary on class division but I lap that kind of thing up, especially when it's done in such a compelling way as Wells did.

I love reading stuff about class division and social commentary - I think it's a fascinating subject. :)

Oh, and I love the look of the actual time machine in the movie. I can't remember if you're a fan of The Big Bang Theory, but there's a terrific episode where Leonard wins an eBay auction for what he thinks is a model of the time machine, but it turns out to be the actual full-sized prop from the movie. The gang all love it, but it's a little large for the apartment!   I've seen online where you can buy actual models (aren't they gorgeous?!) But I think they're really expensive. :( If I'd had the money, I would have bought one for my ex and/or me.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there!

I was sad to hear that Rod Taylor passed away just a couple of weeks ago. And he was an Aussie! (Sorry, but we don't have too many 'world-famous' actors. He was so gosh-darn good looking)

I have never seen Big Bang Theory (I think Abi might watch it though). That time machine is very cute – I can see why you’d like one if you’re such a fan of the film. :)

He died just a week after I finished the book. I was sad to read of his death too. :(

Emoticons culled again!

I did a quick search and I think some have been translated, though when I searched at one of our biggest online shops, indeed more than half the things on the first page were mugs, bags etc. and also some English books. There are some Dutch translations but sadly mostly out of print. Maybe the library has some.

Great review of The Time Machine! I read this book a few years ago and liked it too. Prior to reading the book I saw one of the films several times and I really liked that one. I was slightly disappointed when I read the book, that there were some differences. Other than that though I did like the book and I agree with your spoiler.  

Good luck – I hope you find one at the library.  I tend to try to read the books first – I’d rather been disappointed by the film version that the other way round.  :blush:  The only film I can think of that I preferred to the book is The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.   :)

:D   There are a few bits in The War of the Worlds that got me, particularly . . .

the part where he's trapped in the building, and another where the battle passed right through the neck of the woods where I live  :hide: 

Ooooh, scary!  :giggle:   I really want to visit Woking now, to see the landmarks from the book.   One day I will get there – it’s not too far for a day trip.   :)

Very much so.  Any chance you'll go on and read this?  It's very good  :smile:

It sticks to the story quite well, generally - far more than the newer version, for sure :rolleyes:   

I may do. I’m a bit undecided.  Thanks for the recommendation though.   :)

Maybe it didn't like the books you'd put it between  :o  :giggle2:

That's a point!  I think I put it back in the place it came out of (my 'to read' bookshelf is in no order at all - not alphabetical, not acquisition date, not colour, nothing...  :o ).  I will have to see what is either side of it now!  :giggle:

Edit - this is what's either side...

PerilatEndHouse_zps2dd625e3.jpg

Maybe it was trying to get beside the other Christie book when it fell...?  :hide:

Ooh. :hide: Maybe it's a sign that you should read it?

When I got home tonight there was an Agatha Christie movie playing on TV. When I saw your post I got excited because I thought it was the same one, and I was all prepared to take the blame credit for it. But it wasn't :( (it was Evil Under the Sun.)

Yes, I ought to read it soon, shouldn't I! It would have been really spooky if it was the same film!

I finished The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt that Kay bought me for Christmas. Top stuff! :D

I read that last weekend! Fantastic book, glad you enjoyed it too, Janet. :smile2:

More praise! I put it on my wishlist based on Claire's review as well. Now I'm even more excited for the U.S. release date. Edited by dtrpath27

002-2015-Jan-02-TheTimeMachine_zpsb8e5db

The Time Machine by H G Wells

The ‘blurb’

This is the tale of a Victorian time traveller who creates a machine which takes him 800,000 years into the future, to a divided world of innocence and knowledge.

Vintage sci-fi is a genre that I seem to find deeply satisfying, despite my best intentions! :P  I thoroughly enjoyed Wells’ novel The War of the Worlds which I read a few years ago.  I was familiar with that storyline as the Jeff Wayne musical is a staple CD on long journeys in our car, and having enjoyed it I resolved to read more of his works.

The Time Machine tells the story of a Victorian scientist who, over dinner, recounts his adventures with a time machine he has invented.  The novel is narrated by an unnamed guest at the dinner party and the guests listen in amazement at the incredible tales the scientist tells – they seem completely unbelievable.  He recounts how he has visited the year 802,701 where he encountered a race of what seemed to be evolved humans.  Initially he believed it to be a kind of utopia, but it quickly became apparent that all was not as it seemed and there was also something very sinister about the place. Not only that but his time machine was taken and he had to find it in order to make his way back to his own time…

This is a short but extremely enjoyable novel.  I actually found it to be quite chilling – more than I did the excellent The War of the Worlds.  Please do not read the spoiler if you haven’t read the book, but I know a few people have so I must say

My review really doesn’t do this justice, but if you like sci-fi –particularly of the vintage variety – then this is a must. 

The paperback edition is 144 pages long and is published by Penguin.  It was first published in 1895.  The ISBN is 9780141439976.   I read it on my Kindle.

5/5 (Loved it!)

(Finished 02 January 2015)

I'm glad you enjoyed this.  I loved it as well - I think I read it in one sitting, which is rare for me these days.  I loved the social commentary and how it related to the working class and the upper class of our times.

Good reviews! I bet you mean the film with Rod Taylor...?

It's a great film, isn't it?  I watched the modern version, which was a real let-down, although I do think Guy Pearce is a wonderfully talented actor.  

I loved The Time Machine  :)

Me too.  He was very insightful I think.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it, Claire's review propelled it onto my wishlist :lol:

More praise! I put it on my wishlist based on Claire's review as well. Now I'm even more excited for the U.S. release date.

I think it's going to be a difficult one to review but I will try to put so coherent thoughts down! :)  It was very good though - I read it quickly (for me). 

I'm glad you enjoyed this.  I loved it as well - I think I read it in one sitting, which is rare for me these days.  I loved the social commentary and how it related to the working class and the upper class of our times.

It was really good.  :)  I'm definitely keen to read some more of his works.  :)

I finished The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt that Kay bought me for Christmas. Top stuff! :D

I bought it today, on your and Claire's recommendation, will have to put it in the Book Box though, hopefully I'll pull it out soon! :) Edited by chaliepud

I hope you enjoy it.  :)  It's one of those books with lots of breaks in it - they're the kind that make me think "oh, just a few more pages until the next break..." "okay, three pages and another break.  I'll finish when I get there..." "well I might as well finish the chapter..." and before I know it I've read a third of it in one go! :giggle2:

I acquired two new books today!  One is for book club and so is allowed...  (I'm not sure what I think about this choice. :lurker:  The lady who chose this has chosen one by this author before - I enjoyed it more than I expected to though, so hopefully it'll be okay).

2015%20New%20Books%203%20-%2023.01.15_zp

And the other one (which has been on my wish list for ages) was only 10p!    Cheerful.gif  ETA:  Or maybe three shillings and sixpence... whatever that is!  :giggle2:  17½p?!

2015%20New%20Books%204%20-%2023.01.15_zp

Edited by Janet