Janet's Log - Stardate 2015

Janet

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can't be blamed if someone else buys you books .. be very rude to refuse .. mum's especially. Mine is at her happiest when giving me a book/pie :D Anyway .. book bargains must always be taken advantage of. I loved The Dark is Rising also so think you and your mum made a very wise choice there .. it's bound to be good :)  

You can't be blamed if someone else buys you books .. be very rude to refuse .. mum's especially. Mine is at her happiest when giving me a book/pie :D Anyway .. book bargains must always be taken advantage of. I loved The Dark is Rising also so think you and your mum made a very wise choice there .. it's bound to be good :)  

You're right.  And anyway, I said "oh, I mustn't buy any more books" (trying to be good) and so she insisted on buying it for me.  I think she rather missed the point but I couldn't refuse!  :giggle2:

Here's to more books Janet :D

Thanks, Paula.  :friends3:

The Dark is Rising has been recommended to me before - time to check it out, I think... :)

I think it's the sort of book you'll enjoy.  :)

According to Amazon, I bought it last year! I need to investigate my book piles later!

I did that last week! Went to buy a book I saw on here, but when I went onto Amazon I had already bought it in Feb last year. :giggle2:

According to Amazon, I bought it last year! I need to investigate my book piles later!

I did that last week! Went to buy a book I saw on here, but when I went onto Amazon I had already bought it in Feb last year. :giggle2:

I've done it too - it's one of the perils of being a bookworm! :D

001-2015-Jan-01-ABearCalledPaddington_zp

A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond

The ‘blurb’

Paddington Bear had travelled all the way from Darkest Peru when the Brown family first met him on Paddington station.  Since then their lives have never been quite the same… for ordinary things become quite extraordinary when a bear called Paddington is involved.

2015 started the way 2014 ended – with another childhood favourite!  I read this countless times, but unlike Winnie-the-Pooh I haven’t revisited it as an adult.  I’d been thinking of re-reading it (in fact, I’m sure I have it – or one of the other Paddington books – somewhere in the house but I can’t find it) since I read about the Paddington Trail  in London, which sadly I couldn’t make it to.  I also wanted to read it before seeing the film at the cinema.

With regards to the film – that was good fun, and I loved the actors who played the Browns and Mrs Bird – but it wasn’t very true to the book and therefore whilst I enjoyed it it wasn't... truly satisfying!

However, rereading it was a different matter - it was like slipping on an old favourite jumper found in the back of the wardrobe ( :giggle2: ) – the characters were just how I remembered them to be.   Paddington is endearing from the start and, despite always seeming to get into a scrape he always comes out on top – and he does things with the best of intentions.  The Browns are great too – he definitely fell on his paws when he went to live at Windsor Gardens!

Top stuff.  :)

The paperback edition is 153 pages long and is published by Harper Collins.  It was first published in 1958.   The ISBN is 9780007174164.  

5/5 (Another childhood favourite)

(Finished 1 January 2014)

I just learned my something new for today. I never realized that Paddington Bear was a children's novel just like Peter Pan or Mary Poppins. I always thought he was a picture book character more like Curious George.

I thought that too! Particularly because here in the Netherlands I've seen him on things like mugs and socks, but I've never seen the book. I'll have to assume it would have been translated if it's famous enough to make mugs off, but I don't think I've seen it anywhere.

I've heard of Curious George, but I'm not familiar with him at all.  I shall have to Google.

Paddington.com do not show Dutch on their list of translations, although they clearly don't have the full list as Wikipedia says the books have been translated into 70 languages!