Vodkafan's 2015 reading list

vodkafan

By the way just thought I would mention I haven't bought any books for several weeks....trying to make a dent in my huge TBR but even without buying any it's going to take years... :banghead:  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am divided about Ali Smith more than any other author I have read.

I've only read The First Person & Other Stories, and I wasn't impressed at all. According to Goodreads, I rated it 3 stars, but that surprises me. I remember absolutely nothing about it three years later (except that I didn't like it). I don't plan on giving her another chance.  :blush2:

By the way just thought I would mention I haven't bought any books for several weeks....trying to make a dent in my huge TBR but even without buying any it's going to take years... :banghead:  

Good for you! I recently bought a small pile of books, so now I have to be good again for a while. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Reading has slowed right down this month. 

Victorian London 1840-1870                      5/5

Liza Picard

Excellent book, one of many similar Victorian themed books I had bought for research purposes a couple of years back, and this one I had passed over a few times because I mistakenly thought that I had already read it. The writer restricts herself to the years 1840-1870, which is a bit before the events I am usually interested in, but the chapter on cemeteries was especially useful for me.   

• 1 month later...

Bit behind on my reviews. Need to catch up. Got a great haul this morning.. walked into a charity shop and somebody had just dumped a whole load of Frank Herbert 60's SF paperbacks in pristine condition. Many of the titles I hadn't heard of. I ignored Dune  and the sequels and picked out 15 others. I got all 15 for £3. 

Gosh! That makes ebooks look expensive!

I've run out of space for proper book storage. I've tried giving some to the bookstall for the blind at our railway station, but I find it hard to part with them.

And I'm so impressed by your reading list - both the quality and the quantity. That's it - come what may, I am spending this evening reading!

• 4 weeks later...

I am putting this in my reading blog rather than my New Life thread because it is all about reading....yesterday I happened to be working with an Indian agency woman who I had seen about for ages but never talked to..in the course of conversation (she has only been here two years and wanted to talk to improve her English) it came out that she is a HUGE reader!  Not only that but she reads SCIENCE FICTION!!  She reads in English, Hindi and Gujerati. When she came to England she could not bear to part with her most precious books , which weighed 600kg, so had to pay to have them shipped over from India.

Anybody who can't be parted from over half a ton of books is OK by me.....I asked her why not get a kindle but she was like Oh no...she likes the feel of a real book.  She also says she buys books almost every time she goes out....can't pass a bookshop....and she has about 1000 books at home waiting to be read.  She was almost apologetic about that but I said it is quite normal... I told her we call that the TBR pile. She is bringing me a book in today and I must find one for her from my shelf...I am thinking of Margaret Atwood.

Nice that you talked with someone about books, I always like it when that happens :).

Didn't see her yesterday but today she came in and seeked me out to give me a book. I have chosen the book I wish to reciprocate with but I cannot find my copy at the moment.

Edited by vodkafan

• 3 weeks later...

She'd definitely right in with us, James. :) If you don't mind sharing the forum with her, tell her she'd be welcome. :)

(Personally, I've never encouraged my 'real-life' reader friends to join this forum. I think of it as MINE and don't want to share.  :blush2:)

(Personally, I've never encouraged my 'real-life' reader friends to join this forum. I think of it as MINE and don't want to share.  :blush2:)

Hehe I'm a bit like that too Kylie :D

Same. I don't really have any friends that are huge readers anyway, plenty of them know about the forum and how important it is to me, but they've never expressed interest in joining because they're simply not heavy readers. And that suits me just fine, because I think of this place as a little haven from the outside world :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...