Karen.d's Reading List 2015

karen.d

I find I often think I don't want to read, but once I actually pick up a book I disappear into it for a while. Maybe just force yourself to pick one up when you have a chance, try it for five minutes and see how it goes?

I'll give that a go. Thanks :smile:

I hope you have a wonderful reading year Karen.  :smile:

Thanks Chrissy :smile:

In reply to your spoiler, I agree, I'm not sure where that came from exactly.

I hope you'll feel more like reading soon :(.

I felt like the horror was enough, without having to add a sci-fi element to it at the end (i hope that isn't a spoiler!)

It's no good. I've tried and tried to read 'A Village Affair' by Joanna Trollope, but I've had to make it my first abandoned book of 2015. I found this unbearable!! Hopefully 'Sea Glass' by Anita Shreve will be better.

That's a shame. I'm bordering on abandoning a book myself, but I'm trying to plough on with it.

I've only read one Anita Shreve book,Light On Snow, after finding it in a charity shop - don't remember much about it now but I know I liked it enough at the time to pick up another one by her the next time I was in that shop! (Haven't read the other one - A Wedding In December, yet though). Hope you enjoy your one!

That's a shame. I'm bordering on abandoning a book myself, but I'm trying to plough on with it.

I've only read one Anita Shreve book,Light On Snow, after finding it in a charity shop - don't remember much about it now but I know I liked it enough at the time to pick up another one by her the next time I was in that shop! (Haven't read the other one - A Wedding In December, yet though). Hope you enjoy your one!

Which book are you reading?

I'm juggling two books at one time, which is very unlike me!

• 2 months later...

Sorry for not updating for a while. I've just looked at my current amount of reads this year and it's looking pretty pitiful so far :doh: According to my Goodreads Goal chart, I'm 2 books behind schedule. I'm hoping to rectify that, by reading a on holiday (I'm off tomorrow! :woohoo: ). On the other hand, I have been writing quite a bit, so at least I have a good chance of getting the first draft of my book done by the end of the year!

The one I have temporarily abandoned is Long Lankin. I'll give it another go before the end of January just for statistics :lol:

It's funny, the book I've just finished, I abandoned initially abandoned. I'm glad I went back to it, because it was a pretty good book.

We're only a few months into this year, so fear not, and lose no hope!  :empathy:   You're only 2 books behind your schedule and that's a very manageable number, especially what with your holiday coming up. Do you have any special plans for it, besides reading? Any traveling? :) It's great to hear that you've been doing a lot of writing! :smile2: One can't always manage everything all at once so it's important that your writing has being going great :) 

We're only a few months into this year, so fear not, and lose no hope!  :empathy:   You're only 2 books behind your schedule and that's a very manageable number, especially what with your holiday coming up. Do you have any special plans for it, besides reading? Any traveling? :) It's great to hear that you've been doing a lot of writing! :smile2: One can't always manage everything all at once so it's important that your writing has being going great :)

Not many plans for my holiday, just chilling out! Although we are going to a wildlife park at the weekend, which will be good, especially for photos. I am taking my writing stuff as well. Hopefully I can get some more of the book done...well, that's the plan anyway!

I wish you lots of fun on your holiday, Karen :)!

Thank you :smile:

Not many plans for my holiday, just chilling out! Although we are going to a wildlife park at the weekend, which will be good, especially for photos. I am taking my writing stuff as well. Hopefully I can get some more of the book done...well, that's the plan anyway!

Sometimes the best holidays are the ones where you have no plans and can just relax, and wing it! :) The wildlife park trip sounds great, have lots of fun! :) 

Sorry for not updating for a while. I've just looked at my current amount of reads this year and it's looking pretty pitiful so far :doh: According to my Goodreads Goal chart, I'm 2 books behind schedule. I'm hoping to rectify that, by reading a on holiday (I'm off tomorrow! :woohoo: ). On the other hand, I have been writing quite a bit, so at least I have a good chance of getting the first draft of my book done by the end of the year!

Holidays are perfect for boosting reading!  Hope you have a lovely time and get the time you'd like for reading and writing  :friends3:

• 3 months later...

Firstly, sorry that I haven't done an update for a LONG time. I've been reading 'Poldark' since Easter and only finished it about a week ago, so may be that will give you an indication of how busy things have been lately!

I've just stopped by to talk about the last book that I finished reading today, 'Precious Thing' by Colette McBeth. This was lent to me by a friend. We don't always share the same taste in books, but generally, I like things she has read. I thought this book was brilliant, in fact, the best book I have read so far this year.

I won't give away much of the plot, but this is a psychological story, which takes you on a constant journey until the very end. I'm one of those readers who likes to worth out things, before the characters get to the conclusion, but I couldn't predict any of the things that were revealed throughout this story. It really played with my head whilst I was reading this, to the point where I didn't know who to trust throughout this novel. That is probably why I loved this book. I don't like a book that has the plot laid out from the beginning, I like to work at a book and have something to think out. Its believable characters, sucked me right into the story and I can see this being turned into a mini series or film.

If you like to something different, this is a book for you. Loved it.

I've just stopped by to talk about the last book that I finished reading today, 'Precious Thing' by Colette McBeth.  I thought this book was brilliant, in fact, the best book I have read so far this year.

If you like to something different, this is a book for you. Loved it

Glad you loved Precious Thing  :smile: . I'm intrigued by the book, and hurrah! it's in the local library too  :smile:

Glad you loved Precious Thing  :smile: . I'm intrigued by the book, and hurrah! it's in the local library too  :smile:

If you like unusual books which are full of twists and turns, then you'll like this book.

• 5 weeks later...

I've finally got round to updating my book list, I should update it more! I'm currently trying to get through 'The Hours' by Michael Cunningham and I'm finding this hard to get through. I'm not really enjoying this.

Has anyo9ne else read this book?

I can't help you, unfortunately, as I haven't read it. It's a short one, but I've still always been intimidated by it :blush: What's causing you the grief with it? (I've seen the movie, and I wonder if it might be an easier book to read once one has seen it. Or if one's read a few books by Woolf in advance. Although Woolf is not an easy author to read...)

I can't help you, unfortunately, as I haven't read it. It's a short one, but I've still always been intimidated by it :blush: What's causing you the grief with it? (I've seen the movie, and I wonder if it might be an easier book to read once one has seen it. Or if one's read a few books by Woolf in advance. Although Woolf is not an easy author to read...)

The problem I'm having with this is that, although I'm enjoying at least 2 of the different threads running through this, I can only see a thin connection between them all. I keep reading this thinking 'Where is this going?' Should I take this book as a collection of short stories, or will this come together at the end? No spoilers please!

The problem I'm having with this is that, although I'm enjoying at least 2 of the different threads running through this, I can only see a thin connection between them all. I keep reading this thinking 'Where is this going?' Should I take this book as a collection of short stories, or will this come together at the end? No spoilers please!

No spoilers from me because I haven't read the book... But I think  that it's just three different narratives that all have Virginia Woolf in common :shrug: 

No spoilers from me because I haven't read the book... But I think  that it's just three different narratives that all have Virginia Woolf in common :shrug:

Yes you are right, I've just finished this book. Although two of the threads are more strongly connected in my opinion.

Overall, even though I found this relatively short book challenging, by the end I enjoyed it.

Now I have to decide what to read next!