Mona's Reading List 2015

anisia

2. "Just a Geek" by Wil Wheaton

Definitely going on the wishlist.

Great review, Mona. :) I haven't watched much Star Trek (although I intend to change that in the future) but I've seen Will Wheaton several times on The Big Bang Theory, and I really like him on that. Does he mention anything about that show in the book? He's also on Goodreads and posts messages there, if you didn't already know. :)

I have this book on my TBR, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)! I haven't seen a lot of episodes with Will Wheaton in it (yet at least), but like Kylie I love him in The Big Bang Theory, so I'm curious to read his book.

Psh, Big Bang Theory. Everyone watch The Next Generation. Such a great show.

Psh, Big Bang Theory. Everyone watch The Next Generation. Such a great show.

They're quite different shows :P. I've seen a few episodes of TNG and really enjoyed them. We're waiting for the new Blu-ray releases to go down in price (I think seasons 1-5 are out?). Before that I was tempted by the DVD boxset but it wasn't that cheap so I didn't buy it at the time. My boyfriend has seen I think almost all if not all episodes on British TV when he was younger, but I haven't (I presume some of it was shown on the Dutch TV, but I'm not sure). I hope to see some more TNG eventually, just like I want to see more of other Star Trek series. I've only seen half of season 1 of the original so far, we stopped watching that for some reason (I guess I got tired..). I loved Enterprise and have seen a few episodes of TNG, Voyager and DS9 on TV in the UK when I was there. We also have the Blu-ray with a few episodes of TNG so I watched a few of those but not all of them as my boyfriend said some contained spoilers and I wouldn't understand them 100% without seeing the episodes that belong in between (if that makes sense).

Okay, that was completely off topic.. sorry :blush2:.

Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting people to be so into this book and start a discussion :giggle2: 

I've enjoyed what I've seen of TBBT, but I have a soft spot for TNG because it was probably the first TV show I ever watched...and I do like sci-fi shows quite a bit.  As far as genres go, I think I probably like TNG more. Oh, Battlestar Galactica anyone? Anyone?...anyone?  :P

Wil Wheaton is a cool guy. His Tabletop show on youtube has made me crave a boardgame session.

I used to watch TNG all the time as it was on about the same time we had dinner. TBBT however, not so much. 

Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting people to be so into this book and start a discussion :giggle2:

I've enjoyed what I've seen of TBBT, but I have a soft spot for TNG because it was probably the first TV show I ever watched...and I do like sci-fi shows quite a bit.  As far as genres go, I think I probably like TNG more. Oh, Battlestar Galactica anyone? Anyone?...anyone?  :P

Stargate and Star Trek are my only two, I'm afraid!

Wil Wheaton is a cool guy. His Tabletop show on youtube has made me crave a boardgame session.

I used to watch TNG all the time as it was on about the same time we had dinner. TBBT however, not so much. 

Yeah I liked the first season or so of TBBT, and I still love the theme song, but honestly, as a proud nerd, I find the mindless humour and ridiculously stereotypical depiction of 'nerds' quite crass and unfunny in later seasons.

TNG was a huge part of my childhood, my whole family used to sit down and watch it, and DS9, and then Voyager (though Voyager ain't great).

No sorry, Babylon 5 is where its at :P

I think I'm one of those strange people who quite liked Voyager. :giggle2:

It was OK. Much prefer TNG and DS9. Never really bothered with Enterprise (Sorry Maria and Frankie :P)

Stargate and Star Trek are my only two, I'm afraid!

Yeah I liked the first season or so of TBBT, and I still love the theme song, but honestly, as a proud nerd, I find the mindless humour and ridiculously stereotypical depiction of 'nerds' quite crass and unfunny in later seasons.

TNG was a huge part of my childhood, my whole family used to sit down and watch it, and DS9, and then Voyager (though Voyager ain't great).

That's my problem with TBBT. It just seems lazy stereotypes. I tend to find a lot of american sitcoms very formulaic and repetitive as well but I don't really watch much TV.

If you are a proud nerd maybe you should check out The Venture Brothers if you haven't already ;)

Love TNG! Wil Wheaton was also one of my TV crushes. :blush:

I'm also a die-hard Battlestar Galactica fan, both old and new. It's good to find a kindred spirit out there. ;)

Love TNG! Wil Wheaton was also one of my TV crushes. :blush:

I'm also a die-hard Battlestar Galactica fan, both old and new. It's good to find a kindred spirit out there. ;)

Excellent, good to know I'm not alone here  :giggle2:

With all this talk, I feel like re-watching some of these shows a bit. 

No sorry, Babylon 5 is where its at :P

Hell yes - that's my favourite sf tv show of all (along with Farscape)! :cool:  :D

Great review of Wil Wheaton's book, Mona.  I always felt he had a bit of a thankless task on TNG - everyone seemed to hate Wesley at the time (but then they hadn't met Neelix and Kes in those days :doh:  :giggle2: ) - so I'm not surprised to hear that he struggled with it, and life after it.  I love the fact that he sends himself up on TBBT  :D

• 10 months later...

The worst year for reading in a very long time! I'm not impressed with myself at all -  2016 will have way less TV shows (so addictive!) and more books. 

I know the feeling, I do the same! This evening the kids all have friends sleeping over so I have no TV to watch so I am in the dining room with my computer and my book..guess which one I'm on?! :D 

Yep, I do the same. I had a few really bad years up until this year. Im determined to get in an least an hour's reading every day no matter what this year. I find, whatever the other distraction might be, if I just make myself pick up a book, I will actually happily read it for a while.... it's picking it up is the problem!

It's an all too familiar feeling to many of us... :rolleyes::D Anyhow, in Finland we have this saying: Poke a stick in the eye of a person who keeps thinking about the past (regrets). Meaning, upwards and onwards! :lol: Here's hoping for a great reading year in 2016! :)  :readingtwo:

Poke a stick in the eye of a person who keeps thinking about the past (regrets).

Gosh, I'm glad we don't have that saying here. I would have become blind a long time ago from all the pokes in my eyes. :(  :lurker:

For me it costs more energy to watch TV or play video games, than to read the books I normally read. It would cost me more energy to read ie. a German book or a book with language from the Middle Ages, but I don't want to do read such 'complicated to me' books. So I tend to read more and watch less TV and play little video games, though I have been trying to watch a bit on most evenings (ie. an episode of a TV show) because it's something nice to do together with my boyfriend. I understand that if energywise it's the other way around, that it's then easier to do the things that cost less energy. That makes sense to me.

It's an all too familiar feeling to many of us... :rolleyes::D Anyhow, in Finland we have this saying: Poke a stick in the eye of a person who keeps thinking about the past (regrets). Meaning, upwards and onwards! :lol: Here's hoping for a great reading year in 2016! :)  :readingtwo:

That's a horrible saying :lol: But I like the sentiment behind it!

For me it costs more energy to watch TV or play video games, than to read the books I normally read. It would cost me more energy to read ie. a German book or a book with language from the Middle Ages, but I don't want to do read such 'complicated to me' books. So I tend to read more and watch less TV and play little video games, though I have been trying to watch a bit on most evenings (ie. an episode of a TV show) because it's something nice to do together with my boyfriend. I understand that if energywise it's the other way around, that it's then easier to do the things that cost less energy. That makes sense to me.

I think some evenings when I get home from work, if I also need to study after, TV just feels so much easier. I definitely want to restrict this in 2016 and read a bit more every day...and I'm going to stop trying to read in bed before I go to sleep, I just can't do it for more than 10 minutes in the evening!

That's a horrible saying :lol: But I like the sentiment behind it!

Ouch, that sounds brutal!  :hide:  :D

We are a brutal nation, you have to be with -20 Celsius degree days in the winter (like today)... With a stick in the eye, it'll get your adrenaline going, and you'll survive the cold elements :giggle: