October

11. "Intuitive Eating" - Evelyn Tribole, 5/5

12. "The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell" - Marilyn Manson, 3/5

November

December

13. "The Martian" - Andy Weir, 5/5

14. "Bridget Jones's Diary"  - Helen Fielding, 5/5

Edited by anisia

I hope you have a great reading year in 2015! And I really hope you're continuing to enjoy The Shadow of the Wind... :smile2:

I am, yes! I have a friend visiting, so no much reading being done, but still read a few pages. It's really good, and one of those unpredictable books that I have no idea where it's going. 

Wishing you a great reading year in 2015, Mona :)

Thanks! 

I am, yes! I have a friend visiting, so no much reading being done, but still read a few pages. It's really good, and one of those unpredictable books that I have no idea where it's going. 

Is it very evil of me to wish your friend would just leave so you could read more :blush::D Nah, friends are important. :yes::D 

I hope you have a great reading year, Anisia. I loved Shadow of the Wind. I really need to get around to reading the prequel to SotW (The Angel's Game).

Me too! But I really need to (and want to!) re-read The Shadow of the Wind first. And I'm kinda scared that it won't be as good as when I first read it. It's a terrifying thought! 

Is it very evil of me to wish your friend would just leave so you could read more :blush::D Nah, friends are important. :yes::D

Haha, she did come all the way from Romania to visit me so being social was good! But I can read now ;)

I hope you have a great reading year, Anisia. I loved Shadow of the Wind. I really need to get around to reading the prequel to SotW (The Angel's Game).

Oh, now I'm confused - I bought SotW and another book with it but thought it was a sequel not a prequel...oh no!

I get confused with Zafon's books too. In fact, I had to look him up on Wikipedia while I was composing my previous message so I could remind myself which book was the follow-up (prequel). There's a third book called The Prisoner of Heaven. Is that the book you bought? It's set after the events of The Shadow of the Wind. Check here for the order of books.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been on holiday for a week, and because I didn't have space to pack books (except my school ones of course...) I only have my Kindle. So although I was almost done with The Shadow of the Wind, I've had to read something else here. 

1. Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Goodreads Description

In a faraway land where members of the royal family are named for the virtues they embody, one young boy will become a walking enigma.
Born on the wrong side of the sheets, Fitz, son of Chivalry Farseer, is a royal 'person of dubious parentage', cast out into the world, friendless and lonely. Only his magical link with animals - the old art known as the Wit - gives him solace and companionship. But the Wit, if used too often, is a perilous magic, and one abhorred by the nobility.
So when Fitz is finally adopted into the royal household, he must give up his old ways and embrace a new life of weaponry, scribing, courtly manners; and how to kill a man secretly, as he trains to become a royal assassin. 

Personal Note

I was recommended this book by a close friend who knows what genres I most like. It was great! Dragged a bit at the start I thought, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. It's the first part of the Farseer Trilogy, and I'll definitely get the next book. It's in the type of fantasy world/era that I love, it has magic, I liked the main character - just the type of book I enjoy :)

2. "Just a Geek" by Wil Wheaton

Goodreads Description

Wil Wheaton has never been one to take the conventional path to success. Despite early stardom through his childhood role in the motion picture "Stand By Me," and growing up on television as Wesley Crusher on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," Wil left Hollywood in pursuit of happiness, purpose, and a viable means of paying the bills. In the oddest of places, Topeka, Kansas, Wil discovered that despite his claims to fame, he was at heart "Just a Geek."

In this bestselling book, Wil shares his deeply personal and difficult journey to find himself. You'll understand the rigors, and joys, of Wil's rediscovering of himself, as he comes to terms with what it means to be famous, or, ironically, famous for once having been famous. Writing with honesty and disarming humanity, Wil touches on the frustrations associated with his acting career, his inability to distance himself from Ensign Crusher in the public's eyes, the launch of his incredibly successful web site, wilwheaton.net, and the joy he's found in writing. Through all of this, Wil shares the ups and downs he encountered along the journey, along with the support and love he discovered from his friends and family.The stories in "Just a Geek" include: Wil's plunge from teen star to struggling actorDiscovering the joys of HTML, blogging, Linux, and web designThe struggle between Wesley Crusher, Starfleet ensign, and Wil Wheaton, author and bloggerGut-wrenching reactions to the 9-11 disasterMoving tales of Wil's relationships with his wife, step-children, and extended familyThe transition from a B-list actor to an A-list author

Wil Wheaton--celebrity, blogger, and geek--writes for the geek in all of us. Engaging, witty, and pleasantly self-deprecating, "Just a Geek" will surprise you and make you laugh.

Personal Note

A while ago (a few years now) I started following some of the Youtube community more closely, especially 2-3 bloggers. Through them I learned about Wil Wheaton and then realised he was one of my first TV crushes, Wesley, from Star Trek! I bought his book ages ago and finally got around to reading it, after following his blog for a long time. I already knew how down to earth he is and very much not a Hollywood celebrity. What I didn't know is how much he struggled with his role in Star Trek, and what followed him leaving the show. By the time I started reading his blog, he was already established as a writer in the online community, so this book gave me an insight on how things were before. I liked the honesty, and sometimes I disliked his dislike for his role in Star Trek...but in the end he puts the past to rest.

Would I recommend this book? If you were a fan of the show, or Wesley even for a little...or if you've followed his writing, then yes, I do. 

Great review, Mona. :) I haven't watched much Star Trek (although I intend to change that in the future) but I've seen Will Wheaton several times on The Big Bang Theory, and I really like him on that. Does he mention anything about that show in the book? He's also on Goodreads and posts messages there, if you didn't already know. :)

I hadn't realised he was in The Big Bang Theory! I've only watched it on and off over the years, I might have to find the episodes he's in. He doesn't mention it at all in the book, but that's because the book stops very far back, just as he starts gaining his "better known" status again.