The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Another film that looks jolly good on Blu-ray (still couldn't see Artoo and Threepio in the map room, thought).

This one and Jaws both look incredible in the HD format.  I've not seen them on blu-ray, but we have the Sky Movie channels subscription, and I can't get over how good they look having been transferred into the new format.  Both films are also ones that if I come across them while channel hopping, I have to watch. :D

I watched Citizenfour, the documentary by Laura Poitras that won an academy award this past weekend. Laura Poitras was contacted by a stranger, codenamed Citizenfour, that offered her information on illegal wiretapping from the NSA and other intelligence agencies. Some time later, she traveled with journalists Glenn Greenwald and Ewen MacAskill to a hotel in Hong Kong where Edward Snowden (a.k.a. Citizenfour) was staying. Together, they leaked and denounced several agencies and governments that were guilty of illegal and hidden global surveillance. This documentary is an edited sum of her recordings from their meetings in his hotel room, and other moments of relevance to this story around the world. It's strange to see a film about espionage, with the planning and the tension, and at the same time realizing that it's not only based on real events, but the real events themselves. An interesting aspect of it is that the subject of this film would usually be deemed irrealist, if this were to be fiction. This documentary is well-made in my opinion because it doesn't try to trick me into their side: it shows their meetings and discussions where they also explain to a certain point what they were denouncing and I can clearly see their stance on this matter, but at any moment I felt like I was forced or tricked into adopting their views. It's a great watch, I recommend it. Also, it's legally free on the internet, so there are no concerns of piracy about it.

Edited by Sousa

Yesterday we re-watched Futurama: Into The Wild Green Yonder which was quite enjoyable. I'm not sure what was wrong with the DVD though as on many occasions the image was a bit blurry. I haven't seen this happen before, it was weird. The film was very enjoyable though.

This one and Jaws both look incredible in the HD format.  I've not seen them on blu-ray, but we have the Sky Movie channels subscription, and I can't get over how good they look having been transferred into the new format.  Both films are also ones that if I come across them while channel hopping, I have to watch. :D

Same here.  Doesn't matter if it's standard def, either - I'll sit there watching, sit through ad breaks and everything, even though I've got the discs sitting on the shelf a few feet away  :giggle2:   Always happens with Aliens and LA Confidential, too  :giggle2:

I think I could watch Jaws every day and not tire of it.  Same goes for Psycho and Gross Pointe Blank :D

In the past couple of weeks I've seen Strangers on a Train (re-watch), Let's Be Cops & Boyhood.  I loved the Hitchcock, laughed in spite of myself at Cops and only watched two-thirds of Boyhood.  To say I'm baffled by its critical praise is an huge understatement.

I watched Gulliver's Travels last night. I wasn't sure I should have because I haven't read the book first, but then I thought I can't always do that, there are too many movies to watch. And it was on TV and I don't think they're going to show it very often... I really liked it, it was enjoyable! It thought it was lots better than I had hoped. I loved all the music stuff :D And it was great to see Jason Hegel and Emily Blunt! Oh and Chris O'Dowd. He's great, although I can never remember where I've seen him. 

Edit: Oh my word, he was the douchey guy in Girls :o 

Edited by frankie

I watched Gulliver's Travels last night. I wasn't sure I should have because I haven't read the book first, but then I thought I can't always do that, there are too many movies to watch. 

I never read the actual book, but Lilliput is only the first land of several Gulliver visits. I'm also pretty sure the movie doesn't make justice to the book one bit.

I never read the actual book, but Lilliput is only the first land of several Gulliver visits. I'm also pretty sure the movie doesn't make justice to the book one bit.

I'm very aware of the fact that Gulliver travels to other places than Lilliput, and that not all of them are featured in the movie. However, I still loved it. I think it did the book justice in its own way. It's a modern day version and I liked it as such. Not every movie has to be an exact replica of the novel its based on. 

Does anyone know if there's another ST movie in the works?

There's one supposedly to premiere next year; however, J.J. Abrams stepped down as the director to direct Star Wars VII instead, and Roberto Orci (screenwriter of the two previous) also stepped down as director. The plot is yet unknown, there's no footage or trailers, there's no complete cast. I'd wager we'll have to wait some more.

Edited by Sousa

Thanks guys and gals. :) I did a quick search on IMDB before asking, but I guess I didn't browse far enough (I just checked the titles in the main drop-down menu). Glad to see that Simon Pegg is involved; I had forgotten that he played Scotty, so it was a nice 'surprise' when I was watching.

What a cool dilemma for JJ Abrams to have: Should I direct Star Trek or Star Wars? :D