The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

It did! Joking aside, it does worry me that I do have a tendency to dislike films, books, television programmes and music if they're very hyped up. I definitely try to keep an open mind, and I wanted to love it. I would say that I did really enjoy parts of the film, especially the scene around Let It Go which I thought was beautiful when the ice castle was being built, and I was chatting at work about it today, and I wondered if I'd have loved it more if I'd seen it in a cinema with lots of kids who were loving it, as that would have enhanced the atmosphere, rather than just the two of us middle aged adults in our own living room. :dunno:

I didn't enjoy it .. I'm not sure why but I particularly didn't like the Let it Go bit .. the song .. it just seemed X-Factorish to me. Someone emoting too much ... was making me cringe. The kids love it though and most of the adults do too. I want to give it another go someday .. so many people love it and I always distrust my own judgement. The animation was stunning ... it was just all a bit too wisecracky. I get all cynical .. like I can see the work of the script writer  :blush2: (this happened to me with Friends too .. after a while.)

I am happiest with old style Disney .. I am happiest with old style everything :D 

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't enjoy it .. I'm not sure why but I particularly didn't like the Let it Go bit .. the song .. it just seemed X-Factorish to me. Someone emoting too much ... was making me cringe. The kids love it though and most of the adults do too. I want to give it another go someday .. so many people love it and I always distrust my own judgement. The animation was stunning ... it was just all a bit too wisecracky. I get all cynical .. like I can see the work of the script writer  :blush2: (this happened to me with Friends too .. after a while.)

I am happiest with old style Disney .. I am happiest with old style everything :D 

I'm glad it wasn't just me then! :D

I like old style most things, but I think the last Disney film I absolutely loved was Aladdin, and most of my favourites are the early ones, at least before the 1970s … so basically, before I was born! :lol:

I like old style most things, but I think the last Disney film I absolutely loved was Aladdin, and most of my favourites are the early ones, at least before the 1970s … so basically, before I was born! :lol:

The Princess and the Frog was great (2009), and was known for being traditional animation- the first since Lilo and Stitch (had to look that one up!).  Ray and Louis are 2 of my very favorite Disney characters.

The Princess and the Frog was great (2009), and was known for being traditional animation- the first since Lilo and Stitch (had to look that one up!).  Ray and Louis are 2 of my very favorite Disney characters.

I think I'm just getting too old for new Disney … only managed about 10 minutes of The Princess and the Frog. :blush: On the other hand, I watched Cinderella again over Christmas and it was a total joy. :smile2:

It's a very good film, with a firm fanbase. To me it's one of the best films from Studio Ghibli, it was also their first as a proper studio. My favourite from them is actualy the most recent, The Wind Rises. It's the one with less fantasy, but everything in it is very well made and it's a film full of subtleties, which I appreciate a lot. When the film was launched, many complained about making a hero out of a war criminal, but the film itself doesn't try to justify his actions more than show eventual thoughts he might had had about it and why he would do it anyway. In my opinion he hadn't hasn't done anything bad, he was just born in the losing side and dreamt the dream the world used for war. The end is absolutely beautiful. I wish more films like this were made, but directors and producers don't want to risk their films being misunderstood, like this one was.

I haven't seen that one either but I remember the controversies about it. I love Porco Rosso, the whole sequence when he's explaining what happened to hi squadron is one of my favourites in cinema. 

Edited by Melodious

I'm glad it wasn't just me then! :D

Yes Aladdin was the last one I liked too and my faves are all old :blush2:  

Once upon a time, I've decided to rewatch some animated classics from all decades and found many flaws in all of them, it was a real disappointment. They were still good in the end, though. It was after this loss of nostalgia that I've watched the modern Walt Disney films, like "Frozen" and "Winnie the Pooh" and, although they're flawed, they don't fall behind the older classics. I know that if I'd seen them without rewatching the older films, I'd be harsher and unfair to them. The Disney animated film I now like the most is "Beauty and the Beast", it's a clichéd answer I know. I still enjoy "The Lion King", it was my favourite throughout childhood, but I feel you don't like it that much. Is Shakespeare to blame?

I haven't seen that one either but I remember the controversies about it. I love Porco Rosso, the whole sequence when he's explaining what happened to hi squadron is one of my favourites in cinema. 

I've never seen this one, though it's in my watchlist. I still am to watch some Ghibli classics, like this or "Princess Mononoke". I've read plenty of good things about "Porco Rosso", I just happen to have a huge pile of films to watch. I haven't seen the video you shared, because I want to see the film someday without being spoiled.

How does it live up to the book/s?

I posted some thoughts on that here  :smile:   Basically, it's great at evoking the spirit of the books but I think much of the substance is missing.  IMO, they'd've been better basing it on the fifth book, Desolation Island, which has got a similar ship-to-ship chase/battle but also has a brilliant espionage plot going on as well, and could've given some much needed background for the setting and characters.  The film as it stands gives not even the slightest hint that Maturin is a spy, it's just a straightforward 'we're on a ship chasing an enemy' story.

I've never seen this one, though it's in my watchlist. I still am to watch some Ghibli classics, like this or "Princess Mononoke". I've read plenty of good things about "Porco Rosso", I just happen to have a huge pile of films to watch. I haven't seen the video you shared, because I want to see the film someday without being spoiled.

Princess Mononoke is good too. Don't worry the video is just a song from the film. 

I like old style most things, but I think the last Disney film I absolutely loved was Aladdin, and most of my favourites are the early ones, at least before the 1970s … so basically, before I was born! :lol:[/font]

I also like their newer stuff personally (what I've seen at least), but I just wanted to say I love Aladdin! My favourite Disney film will always be The Lion King, I hadn't heard much of Shakespeare when I first saw this film when I was a child, so that didn't influence me in any way.

Porco Rosso is great!! It's one of my boyfriends' favourite Studio Ghibli films. I like it a lot too, though there are others I like more whereas this is one of his favourites :).

Princess Mononoke is good too. Don't worry the video is just a song from the film.

I agree! Princess Mononoke was the first Studio Ghibli film I ever watched, and I really liked it. We have all the older films on DVD and the newest ones on Blu-ray.

I've been watching some episodes of Futurama, season three, which has been quite enjoyable :).

Porco Rosso is great!! It's one of my boyfriends' favourite Studio Ghibli films. I like it a lot too, though there are others I like more whereas this is one of his favourites :).

I agree! Princess Mononoke was the first Studio Ghibli film I ever watched, and I really liked it. We have all the older films on DVD and the newest ones on Blu-ray.

I've been watching some episodes of Futurama, season three, which has been quite enjoyable :).

Your boyfriend has good taste :P

I love Futurama. I haven't seen any of the newish ones they did after it was uncancelled though. 

Your boyfriend has good taste :P

I love Futurama. I haven't seen any of the newish ones they did after it was uncancelled though.

Haha thanks :P.

It's such a great show! I haven't seen any of the new stuff either, I think, so I'm not sure if it's good or not.

Ssssshhhh, nobody had noticed!  :P  :giggle2:

:D Seventies music, vintage fiction and old films .. yep that sums me up :blush2: 

I watched an old b&w film called Miranda .. about a mermaid .. played by Glynis Johns (who was Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins) .. strangely David Tomlinson (Mr Banks) was also in it (though it must have been years before Mary Poppins)) plus the inimitable Margaret Rutherford. Good fun.

Tonight I watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Another one by Studio Ghibli, from Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies). I liked this one very much, with a seemingly more traditional japanese style (definitely uncommon in cinema); it's a bit reminiscent of the game Okami, I guess. The film is based on a japanese folktale, about a bamboo cutter that finds a small girl inside a shining bamboo shoot and raises her into a beautiful and delicate princess. I recommend this film, it's pure and unique with dream-inducing cinematography and a peaceful soundtrack. I firmly believe this film will last for generations.

I haven't heard of that one either. I loved Grave of the Fireflies though.

I liked it a lot too but it was so tragic!

Yesterday we watched Alles is Liefde, a Dutch film. Gladly, our DVD had English subtitles so my boyfriend could follow the film too. It was good though not brilliant. I enjoyed it a lot but there were some things I liked less. Still, there aren't that many Dutch films so it was very nice to watch something Dutch again after so long. I hadn't seen this one before, though my family has I believe and they liked it.

One thing I noticed, is that in American and English films, they don't normally swear and if so it's "beeped out" often (like on live TV in the US I think?). This film did have a few swearwords in it and they're not bleeped out. I thought that was interesting, a culture difference perhaps. I don't really care for swearwords in books nor in films or on TV (especially not if there's a lot of it, I don't like that at all), but I thought it was an interesting difference and I don't mind that they weren't bleeped out or anything. There weren't that many I think, in the film, and it was all connected to the story (as in, something bad happens so people say they're having a shitty day).

The Tale of Princess Kaguya hasn't been released in the UK yet and as far as I can tell no date has been announced.

Ah, that's probably why I don't know about it :(. We normally buy British copies of Japanese films because, if the Dutch one exists, there's Japanese and Dutch dub and subtitles and no English dub nor English subtitles. I hope they will release it..

Ah, that's probably why I don't know about it :(. We normally buy British copies of Japanese films because, if the Dutch one exists, there's Japanese and Dutch dub and subtitles and no English dub nor English subtitles. I hope they will release it..

It might, because it's from Ghibli and because it's nominated for the oscars: http://oscar.go.com/nominees/animated-feature-film/the-tale-of-the-princess-kaguya