The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

Last night we watched Coherence.  A very twisty sci-fi story about 8 people at a dinner party on the night a comet is passing very close to Earth.  The effects are....... :eek:

I think we'll watch it again, just to go back and catch some things we may have missed.  It, like Memento, requires multiple watchings. :)

From Rotten Tomatoes:  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/coherence_2013/  it has an 85% rating.

On the night of an astronomical anomaly, eight friends at a dinner party experience a troubling chain of reality bending events. Part cerebral sci-fi and part relationship drama, COHERENCE is a tightly focused, intimately shot film whose tension intensely ratchets up as its numerous complex mysteries unfold. © Oscilloscope

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched The Gambler last night and apart from the literary references which I got I thought it was a poor movie. The script is very overdone and Mark Wahlberg was poorly cast in his role. Brie Larson was completely wasted and I don't know why she was in the movie at all. The soundtrack was good though.

Last night we watched Coherence.  A very twisty sci-fi story about 8 people at a dinner party on the night a comet is passing very close to Earth.  The effects are....... :eek:

I think we'll watch it again, just to go back and catch some things we may have missed.  It, like Memento, requires multiple watchings. :)

From Rotten Tomatoes:  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/coherence_2013/  it has an 85% rating.

Wow, that sounds weird. I love sci-fi stuff, I might have to check this out.

Just finished Frozen.  It was ok, but nothing special.  In future, I'd watch Beauty and the Beast again instead.

"But she'll die on her own!"

"...I can live with that."

"I don't have a skull! Or bones..."

How can you not love it?! It's so funny! :lol: I generally HATE all things Disney and Pixar, but Frozen is one of the exceptions!

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

I watched The Equalizer last night. It was pretty good, but not one I would watch again.

Do you know if that is that based on the old Edward Woodwood TV series?

I loved the TV series.  From the previews of the film I've seen the film is far more in the direction of raw violence.  While Woodward could break heads should the situation require it, it wasn't his usual shtick. 

Noll, I definitely can recommend Coherence.  Well worth the time. 

Funnily enough, when you mentioned rewatches I immediately thought 'Primer', which is one of my favourite films of all time. Looked up Coherence and read that when asked if Primer was an influence, the response was that Primer wasn't so much an influence as an indicator that there is an audience out there for that kind of film.

That'll do me, definitely gonna watch it :lol:

Funnily enough, when you mentioned rewatches I immediately thought 'Primer', which is one of my favourite films of all time. Looked up Coherence and read that when asked if Primer was an influence, the response was that Primer wasn't so much an influence as an indicator that there is an audience out there for that kind of film.

That'll do me, definitely gonna watch it :lol:

Is this it?  http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Shane-Carruth/dp/B00APQH7O6/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1422748517&sr=1-1&keywords=Primer

"But she'll die on her own!"

"...I can live with that."

"I don't have a skull! Or bones..."

How can you not love it?! It's so funny! :lol: I generally HATE all things Disney and Pixar, but Frozen is one of the exceptions!

I thought those lines were amusing, but not laugh out loud funny, and there were only a couple of them for me.  On the other hand, I love quite a lot of Disney (mainly the older stuff) and Pixar films, so I guess it's a case of each to their own! :lol:

I thought those lines were amusing, but not laugh out loud funny, and there were only a couple of them for me.  On the other hand, I love quite a lot of Disney (mainly the older stuff) and Pixar films, so I guess it's a case of each to their own! :lol:

I adore Olaf, I have a plush toy of him which I bought in a slightly dodgy deal from a man I met off the internet (true story) because I had to have an Olaf in my life!

I like some of the older Disney, like Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Fox & The Hound, but most of my favourite animated films are not Disney. :)

Yup, that's the one. It was made on $7000 by a mathematician/engineer who recruited exactly one actor, and some family and friends, to make his film. It did amazingly at Sundance like 10 years ago and has become a cult success since :)

I just re-watched Castle in the Sky, an animation film by Studio Ghibli, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It's about a girl, Lusheeta, that falls from an airship attacked by pirates but is saved by her necklace. The boy who discovers her, Pazu, dreams of following his father's steps in finding Laputa, a remnant in the sky from older times when humans lived in advanced civilizations airborne. They soon leave his village in an adventure. I really like this film, not just for the environmental message Ghibli loves to pass, but also for Lusheeta and Pazu's kind hearts.

I just re-watched Castle in the Sky, an animation film by Studio Ghibli, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It's about a girl, Lusheeta, that falls from an airship attacked by pirates but is saved by her necklace. The boy who discovers her, Pazu, dreams of following his father's steps in finding Laputa, a remnant in the sky from older times when humans lived in advanced civilizations airborne. They soon leave his village in an adventure. I really like this film, not just for the environmental message Ghibli loves to pass, but also for Lusheeta and Pazu's kind hearts.

I love Ghibli films but I haven't seen this one yet. 

I love Ghibli films but I haven't seen this one yet. 

It's a very good film, with a firm fanbase. To me it's one of the best films from Studio Ghibli, it was also their first as a proper studio. My favourite from them is actualy the most recent, The Wind Rises. It's the one with less fantasy, but everything in it is very well made and it's a film full of subtleties, which I appreciate a lot. When the film was launched, many complained about making a hero out of a war criminal, but the film itself doesn't try to justify his actions more than show eventual thoughts he might had had about it and why he would do it anyway. In my opinion he hadn't hasn't done anything bad, he was just born in the losing side and dreamt the dream the world used for war. The end is absolutely beautiful. I wish more films like this were made, but directors and producers don't want to risk their films being misunderstood, like this one was.

Edited by Sousa

I believe this one is called Laputa: Castle in the Sky on our DVD. I recommend it, it's very good :)! I also liked The Wind Rises and many of their other films. Most of them are really good in my opinion :).

Yep, never seen it before.  I worry that too many people have told me how great it is, that I'll be underwhelmed, but we'll see. :D

Same thing happened to you with Guardians of the Galaxy, didn't it?  I'm detecting a pattern :giggle2:

Last night I re-watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World :smile:

Same thing happened to you with Guardians of the Galaxy, didn't it?  I'm detecting a pattern :giggle2:

It did! Joking aside, it does worry me that I do have a tendency to dislike films, books, television programmes and music if they're very hyped up. I definitely try to keep an open mind, and I wanted to love it. I would say that I did really enjoy parts of the film, especially the scene around Let It Go which I thought was beautiful when the ice castle was being built, and I was chatting at work about it today, and I wondered if I'd have loved it more if I'd seen it in a cinema with lots of kids who were loving it, as that would have enhanced the atmosphere, rather than just the two of us middle aged adults in our own living room. :dunno: