The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been buying a lot of old DVD's from my local charity shop.  All of them for a pound!   I watched Frankie and Johnny yesterday.  I'd forgotten how good an actor Al Pacino could be before he became a shouter.

I love Frankie & Johnny. Haven't seen it in a while, but I have the DVD.

Last film I saw was Kick-Ass. It was ok.

I've also bought Knowing and The Bourne box-set on Blu-Ray, and just waiting for it to arrive in the post.

I went to see Inside Out a little while back. I thought it was very good, but, I thought it was too long and a bit drawn out in places, and I think it was a case of my expectations set too high by reviews. Need to see it again though, and with someone who I can discuss it with afterwards! :D

I went to see Inside Out a little while back. I thought it was very good, but, I thought it was too long and a bit drawn out in places, and I think it was a case of my expectations set too high by reviews. Need to see it again though, and with someone who I can discuss it with afterwards! :D

My 6 year old had wanted to see that movie since she first saw the commercials... she shares her name with one of the characters.  It was rated PG, but she is usually ok with that level of viewing and concepts (sometimes too smart :rolleyes: ).  Well, that night, she had a nightmare about (mild spoiler)

the imaginary elephant dying

Edited by Anna Begins

I thought pretty much the same about it :lol:

My 6 year old had wanted to see that movie since she first saw the commercials... she shares her name with one of the characters.  It was rated PG, but she is usually ok with that level of viewing and concepts (sometimes too smart :rolleyes: ).  Well, that night, she had a nightmare about (mild spoiler)

the imaginary elephant dying

I was traumatized by that bit, I started crying in the cinema. Not of my friends seemed particularly bothered but it was the only bit that really got to me. Totally didn't see it coming.

I listen to a film podcast, and the critic on there loves the film, but both him and the main presenter both say that they're not sure it's really a children's film, and I'd agree.  While there are things in there that children will love, the actual story is quite complex in emotional terms, and I can see why it would upset some children who don't understand the bigger concepts.

I was traumatized by that bit, I started crying in the cinema. Not of my friends seemed particularly bothered but it was the only bit that really got to me. Totally didn't see it coming.

I thought it was sad, but had NO IDEA it would be that traumatizing to her.  I felt like a bad parent!  But she had been waiting for so long!

I listen to a film podcast, and the critic on there loves the film, but both him and the main presenter both say that they're not sure it's really a children's film, and I'd agree.  While there are things in there that children will love, the actual story is quite complex in emotional terms, and I can see why it would upset some children who don't understand the bigger concepts.

I agree.  If that movie had perhaps been promoted differently it would have made a lot of difference... especially financially, which I am sure was a concern ;)  Maybe older teenagers but certainly not who it was targeted too (young children).  I loved it though.

I rather liked the books but they've dated quite a bit.  Other than the general premise the films don't bear a lot of resemblance :smile:

Are the movies better :o  :giggle2: ?

I thought it was sad, but had NO IDEA it would be that traumatizing to her.  I felt like a bad parent!  But she had been waiting for so long!

Not at all, you had no reason to believe it wasn't totally suitable for young kids. I was seriously in bits, but I am a very sentimental person and I get very attached to memories and hate change. The idea of growing up is still one I struggle with at 27, so I guess that scene just really hit a nerve with me.

The last thing I watched were the endings to The Visit, Some Kind of Beautiful, the new Mission Impossible movie, Straight Outta Compton, Mune and probably everything else thats currently playing (I work at a movie theater) which is basically the equivalent of reading the ending to a book before even starting it lol....but the last full movies I watched were The Road Within which was good and This Is Where I Leave You. Both are ok movies, nothing too deep but good for relaxing the mind.

Have you read the books?  Any good?

I read the first book, but like Karsa says, the movies don't bear much resemblance. I watched The Bourne Identity last night and I think it was pretty awful. :doh:  I thought that I liked it but it had been a long time since I saw it, and my tastes must have really changed. I thought Matt Damon was mis-cast too, but I can't think who would have been better instead - someone a bit older and rougher-looking I think.

Everyone Says I Love You.

I only watched this film because Tim Roth is in it, and I wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not - basically it is a modern day musical, made by Woody Allen - but it is absolutely charming and lovely. What a cast too - Alan Alda, Goldie Hawn, Edward Norton, Drew Barrymore, a young Natalie Portman, Julia Robert, the aforementioned Tim Roth, and of course Woody Allen too. I adored it :)

Yesterday we watched half of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. We bought the DVD in the charity shop but unfortunately it was so scratched up (we suspect by kids, as the second bonus disc was perfectly unscratched) we could not watch the film very well, it skipped half of it. We'd watch for 10 minutes and it'd skip the next 10, we'd watch for 10, etc. Well something like that. We gave up in the end. It was a shame because I would've liked to rewatch the film in full. I saw it before and liked it a lot then. Shame on the person who brings such a scratched up disc to the charity shop, it should just have been thrown away! Though the bonus disc is okay, but a note would have been nice. But who wants a bonus disc for a film they can't see..

I love that film! I haven't yet read the book, but I do own it. I bought it after I saw the film (I know, sacrilege :P).

Haha :D I believe I saw the film first, too :giggle2: But I think that this is one of those rare ones where the book and the movie are equally good. My favorite scene is

when the guy (I can't remember his name!) is reading the naughty book to Rose and then they start... to do relations, and she turns the light off, and he turns it back on. They continue to kiss but then Rose turns the light off again, and the guy turns it on again. To say, 'I want to see you, you are beautiful'. The scene gets me every time :wub: