The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bane's voice is still highly amusing . . .

It's the worst thing by far of those Batman movies. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea for him to talk like that?!

I watched bits of Spider Man 1 and 2 last night (with Tobey Maguire). I also watched The Bridges of Madison County, which I've never seen before. It was OK. I think I was supposed to feel sorry for Meryl Streep's character, but I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for people who do what she did.

Oh, is this the one with Christian Bale where he lost a lot of weight? I watched it a few years ago. Don't remember the details, except for the twist and that I found it quite disturbing.

Ya, pretty disturbing!  He got down to 120 pounds :o

It's the worst thing by far of those Batman movies. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea for him to talk like that?!

It does tend to smack you around the head the first time you hear it, but I've actually warmed to it.  Also, Bane impressions when you are down the pub are fun (even though they may not be entirely convincing . . .).

I totally agree! I saw the film for the first time in the cinema, in the UK, and without subtitles I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I was worried it was just me since I'm Dutch and not English, but my boyfriend said he found it hard to understand as well (he's British). We watched it again at home a while ago, and we still found it hard to understand. I always have subtitles on with everything I watch, but for this film it's definitely needed for me, to understand what he says.

We watched Big Hero 6 yesterday, I really liked it :)! It was funny but also sad in places, I thought the animation was very good, the sound was good and I quite liked the focus on robotics :D (you know, with my dad, brother, and granddad all working or having worked in this field (my granddad is retired)).

We watched Big Hero 6 yesterday, I really liked it :)! It was funny but also sad in places, I thought the animation was very good, the sound was good and I quite liked the focus on robotics :D (you know, with my dad, brother, and granddad all working or having worked in this field (my granddad is retired)).

I've just received this in the post from LoveFilm so will be watching it next week :) I liked the trailer when I saw it at the cinema.

Edited by poppyshake

I've just received this in the post from LoveFilm so will be watching it next week :) I liked the trailer when I saw it at the cinema.

I hope you enjoy it :).

Yesterday we re-watched 101 Dalmatians, the live-action version. I'd like to see the original animated version sometime again too, fingers crossed we find the DVD for cheap somewhere (for some reason, Disney DVDs, even though the actual films are quite old, are quite pricey here compared with older live-action films).

Had a really lazy week off work and watched four films - Broken (2012) with Tim Roth - currently my very favourite actor - and a stunning debut from Eloise Laurence. It's based on Daniel Clay's book, which I haven't read. Loved the film though.

Also saw The Lake House (2006) with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. I've seen it once before but that was on a plane and I couldn't really concentrate. This time I really enjoyed it, although I had to try not to think too hard about the time travel element, because time travel movies always make me think, "But what about...." and "Hang on a minute...!" Lovely romantic film though.

And two movies which have jumped straight into my all time top ten...The Normal Heart (2014) which is about the emergence of AIDS in New York in the early 1980s and one man's determination to make the government sit up and take notice. It's based on a true story, and is just incredibly emotional and moving. I was in floods of tears by the end.

The other film I loved was The Imposters (1998) starring Stanley Tucci, Oliver Platt, Campbell Scott (another favourite actor) and many other famous faces. It's a modern day take on the era of silent movies like those of Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy**, Charlie Chaplin, etc. Extremely funny, lots of slapstick and physical comedy, and just a terrific film if you need a good belly laugh.

Went to the hall where I work for their semi-regular film night on Friday evening, to see The Theory of Everything. Saw the film when it was released at the cinema last year, but it was just as good second time around as I remembered it. Wonderful job by all involved, particularly the efforts of Eddie Redmayne.

Watched a couple of rom-coms tonight: You've Got Mail and Something's Gotta Give. Also watched The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!

I love You've Got Mail!

We watched 102 Dalmatians yesterday. It was nice but it seemed to be targeted more to children compared with the first film. I thought it wasn't as good as the first one, but it was nice to watch.

I've been buying a lot of old DVD's from my local charity shop.  All of them for a pound!   I watched Frankie and Johnny yesterday.  I'd forgotten how good an actor Al Pacino could be before he became a shouter.

Ah. I love Frankie and Johnny :wub: 

It is! :smile2: I recently re-watched it after probably a decade of not having watched it, and it was still as good as ever! :)

I love that scene where they walk through the venders during the early morning flower delivery.

Edited by Anna Begins

It's a really sweet film, isn't it?  Been years since I'd seen it but it lived up to the memories.

Could be, but I've not seen that episode (or if I have I've forgotten it!).

Over the last couple of nights I've watched two films set in the 60s and 70s that chronicle the tribulations of a group of freaks who spend an awful lot of time bickering with each other.

Got a little bit interested in the American Civil War. Got hold of the DVD of Gettysburg which is over 4 hours long. Saw it last night. The whole film is just about 3 days (plus the day before the battle) of this one major important battle in 1863. I liked it. All the events are well explained  as they unfold and from reviews I have read there is a high degree of historical accuracy in both the events and the characters. Some awesome Victorian beards on show but if I was awarding a prize for best beard it would go to Tom Berenger who played the Confederate (Grey) General Longstreet.

There is much to like in this film. It shows the motivations and points of view on both sides in clever little scenes of dialogue which I enjoyed  just as much as the battle scenes. That's an important part of a film about a civil war. Most  war films just showcase one side in a lopsided simplified way. Especially it illustrates that for the South the secession was not just about slavery but political and economic issues. There is also a scene where the Union soldiers rescue an escaped slave found near the battlefield.  For most of the Northern soldiers this is the very first black man they have ever seen and they look at him curiously. 

Edited by vodkafan