The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minority Report and a cult SF film called Cypher. I bought this one because I enjoyed another cult film by the same director, Cube. Cypher was really excellent. My 17 and 18 year olds also thought it was cool.

We've been rewatching the Spider-Man films (not to be confused with the The Amazing Spider-Man films, I haven't seen those but I have heard they weren't that great), from 2002-2007, we've seen 1 (2002) and 2 (2004) now, we're hoping to see 3 (2007) in one of the next few days. We planned on watching it yesterday but I was too tired. So far they've been nice to watch.

^ Spider-man 3 is disappointing after the first two, so don't go into it with high hopes.

The Amazing Spider-man films aren't that bad; I quite liked Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone makes a good Gwen Stacey.

That's good to know, thanks :).

Minority Report and a cult SF film called Cypher. I bought this one because I enjoyed another cult film by the same director, Cube. Cypher was really excellent. My 17 and 18 year olds also thought it was cool.

How was Minority Report?  I love Phillip K Dick.  He is so strange.

We've been rewatching the Spider-Man films (not to be confused with the The Amazing Spider-Man films, I haven't seen those but I have heard they weren't that great), from 2002-2007, we've seen 1 (2002) and 2 (2004) now, we're hoping to see 3 (2007) in one of the next few days. We planned on watching it yesterday but I was too tired. So far they've been nice to watch.

Spider-Man 2 was on TV here the other day, so I watched it (I've seen it at couple of times before). I don't mind Spider-Man 3, mostly because Topher Grace is in it.  :wub: I don't think I've seen The Amazing Spider-Man movies yet. It bugs me that they did another version so soon after the Tobey Maguire ones.

Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I love that film :D  The use of shadows throughout is brilliant, and the HD version looks amazing ...

although not sure what the scene with the opening of the Ark looks like, as I always look away!  :hide: 

I watched some of that, too (but had to stop myself as I only recently bought the blu-ray boxed set, and I'd rather watch that! :lol:).

I did comment whilst watching it that it made me realise how lucky I was to be growing up during the late 70s/early 80s and see the Indy films, the original Star Wars trilogy, E.T. Close Encounters, Jaws, Alien, The Terminator, all those great movies the first time around.  Compared to the majority of today's blockbusters it feels like it was a golden age.

Minority Report is a pretty good film, though I'm not sure it bears much relation to the book.

They are making a TV series of it now, as well.

I agree, I liked the film. The original short story is just a short story, I'm not sure how much relation it bears but I recently bought the book so maybe in a couple of years I'll find out :hide::P.

Spider-Man 2 was on TV here the other day, so I watched it (I've seen it at couple of times before). I don't mind Spider-Man 3, mostly because Topher Grace is in it.  :wub: I don't think I've seen The Amazing Spider-Man movies yet. It bugs me that they did another version so soon after the Tobey Maguire ones.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that :shrug:. I shall have to look out for Topher Grace, I hadn't heard of him until you mentioned him :).

I watched some of that, too (but had to stop myself as I only recently bought the blu-ray boxed set, and I'd rather watch that! :lol:).

I did comment whilst watching it that it made me realise how lucky I was to be growing up during the late 70s/early 80s and see the Indy films, the original Star Wars trilogy, E.T. Close Encounters, Jaws, Alien, The Terminator, all those great movies the first time around.  Compared to the majority of today's blockbusters it feels like it was a golden age.

Don't get me started.  Today seems to be more about who has the biggest effects, the loudest explosions and the fastest car chase … says someone who just loved Mission Impossible :roll: … but to be fair it's one of the few I do enjoy.  I miss that there were proper stories and some subtlety in the blockbusters of our era, and you're right, we were definitely spoiled.  I still can't pass by Jaws whenever I see it on the television.  The only films that get me like that from the (fairly) recent past are Shaun of the Dead and particularly Hot Fuzz, definitely can't turn off either of those.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that :shrug:. I shall have to look out for Topher Grace, I hadn't heard of him until you mentioned him :).

He's best known for playing Eric Forman on That 70s Show a few years back. :)

Watched Interstellar.

It was good enough, and very very pretty, but it had a lot of problems too. Not sure why people went as doo-lally as they did over it. Then again some people thought Inception was really intelligent, as opposed to just complex or confusing.

Don't get me started.  Today seems to be more about who has the biggest effects, the loudest explosions and the fastest car chase … says someone who just loved Mission Impossible :roll: … but to be fair it's one of the few I do enjoy.  I miss that there were proper stories and some subtlety in the blockbusters of our era, and you're right, we were definitely spoiled.  I still can't pass by Jaws whenever I see it on the television.  The only films that get me like that from the (fairly) recent past are Shaun of the Dead and particularly Hot Fuzz, definitely can't turn off either of those.

Too often they over egg the cake now .. just because they can, they do. The great films of the 70's/80's didn't have great special effects (there's one bit of Jaws where he definitely looks like a large piece of polystyrene :D) .. but it was the story that gripped .. and the suspense was just spot on. Nowadays it would be like a gore fest .. no subtlety at all. Someone would wrestle with that shark .. a woman wearing high heels and hot pants probably :D .. and she'd come through it without breaking a fingernail! :rolleyes::lol:

Watched Audrey in Wait Until Dark!!  :hide:  :hide:  :hide: Seriously spooked me  :lurker: 

Watched Audrey in Wait Until Dark!!  :hide:  :hide:  :hide: Seriously spooked me  :lurker: 

I did that play!  I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie.

Watched Monster with Charlize Theron about serial killer Aileen Wuornos, who was put to death in 2002.  I've seen it before, but it was a first for my mom, who loves True Crime.  So sad.

:)  I'm so glad you liked it!  Jim Parsons :wub:

I agree :wub:!

Yesterday we watched The Italian Job (from the 1960s). Michael had seen it several times before, but I hadn't. It was nice, not without its flaws but it was enjoyable :).