The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen anything positive about the last Hobbit film. I've only seen the first two and the encounter with smaug was disappointing and underwhelming to say the least. I thought LotR was done brilliantly and probably the best it could be considering the material but the Hobbit is another story. LotR was made with care and passion but I feel these ones were made with ego and trying to replicate the grandeur of the first trilogy. How on earth could anyone suggest stretching a 300 page children's book into three films? I think putting in some scenes about the council driving out Sauron makes sense given the context of bridging the two stories but the unnecessary love triangle and overbloated action scenes were just frankly waffle. 

I'm looking forward to when it's released on dvd and seeing what the different fan edits will be produced. There may be a decent film in there somewhere.

We've just watched Guardians of the Galaxy.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, had been telling me it was a great surprise, very funny, and one of their favourite films of the year.  I think this had overhyped it in my head.  I did like it, I chuckled a few times, but I'm really not a big fan of either comic book film adaptations or science fiction films with loads of CGI, so perhaps I'm just not the audience it's aimed at.  It didn't help that OH (who I was watching it with) didn't like it at all, so even when I chuckled, he was stony faced, and comedy often only works when others find it funny too.  I'd be happy to watch it again, and even watch a sequel, but I guess it'll be a solo viewing for me in future! :lol:

Awww its a shame you were somewhat underwhelmed by GotG. I was among those with low or no expectations going in who came out pleasantly surprised. I just loved that it was able to make fun of itself, like the scene where they all stand up and the raccoon comments on it. :lol: It wasn't an amazing film, but I did enjoy it.

Before I saw it I just could not see how a film with a tree and racoon as major players would float, but I'm completely sold now.  I think the mix of irreverent humour, funky music and comic book action works perfectly (and it worked even better on a second viewing). 

It's definitely my favourite film of 2014 (though not the best film I saw in 2014, which was Rush, which was released in 2013).

I saw Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2 over the last few days. I had seen the first one in mixed company a while ago, but this time I was able to really enjoy it properly.  :D

Oh, I love those two films. There's another film called Minions which is due out soon. Looks funny. :giggle2:

I just watched Collateral. Seen it many times, but I still enjoy it.

Classic

51lgdC5cxnL_SY300_.jpg

Classic indeed!  I've been wanting to re-watch it since reading Shogun, even bought the Kurosawa 'Samurai Collection' on Blu-ray (to replace my old Criterion dvd edition) for the purpose.  Might have to watch it in shifts, though, it's so long :giggle2:

I watched Frozen last night :wub:

Classic indeed!  I've been wanting to re-watch it since reading Shogun, even bought the Kurosawa 'Samurai Collection' on Blu-ray (to replace my old Criterion dvd edition) for the purpose.  Might have to watch it in shifts, though, it's so long :giggle2:

I know, 3 hours but it none of it is filler. My favourite is Yojimbo, I've seen it many times over the years.