The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

12 Monkeys is a very good film. Haven't seen it in a while, and I remember being confused the first time I saw it. It took a while before I understood it a bit better as it's very complex.

I'm glad to hear you liked it, it seems a well liked film overall :). I really enjoyed it, will have to watch it a second time some time.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Not too bad, but not that great either.  Certainly better than Spider-man 3, though . . .

I would have liked to have seen Sam Rami's take on this story as I think it would have given more depth to the villains.

I should have said that I also watched Krull, Fletch Lives and Twister yesterday (I had the TV on whilst I was doing other things).

Krull is a pretty good fantasy film, but I'm becoming convinced that James Horner has only really written three soundtracks in his entire life (the rest are just variations).  The soundtrack for Krull shares a lot of elements/is a complete rehash* of his Wrath of Khan score of a year earlier.

Fletch Lives wasn't as good as I remembered it being.  I used to think Fletch was quite funny, but yesterday I came to the realisation that he's basically a jerk.

For some reason Twister always makes me want to have steak and eggs, which is something I've never had in combination in my life.  Also, Paxton and Hunt's relationship post Dorothy Deployment isn't going to work out and they only have themselves to blame if they try to make a go of it.

*Delete as appropriate.

Is it based on the book The Giver?

Yesterday we rewatched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, it was fun to see it again.

Yes, it's based on the book. :) It has been so long since I read the book that I couldn't remember much of it at all, so it was good to be reminded. It helped tie it together with the other three books I read recently. 

Midnight in Paris again, brilliant charming film that really brings to life the 1920s, especially the art and literature. Love it!

I bought this ages ago but still haven't watched it yet!

Midnight in Paris again, brilliant charming film that really brings to life the 1920s, especially the art and literature. Love it!

I bought this film on DVD a while ago but I haven't watched it yet, great to hear that!

Yes, it's based on the book. :) It has been so long since I read the book that I couldn't remember much of it at all, so it was good to be reminded. It helped tie it together with the other three books I read recently.

A Woody Allen film I actually managed to finish watching without walking out! (Although, Owen Wilson might have had something to do with it :giggle2:)  I thought it was pretty good. :)

That's good, after that Jeff Bridges article I read.  Should I read the book first or see the movie first?

Definitely read the book first. I think it's always better to have your own picture of the story than to read it while imagining everything from the movie. :)

I agree, Felidae! It also had a Contact vibe for me. Even one of the sound effects (can't remember which one) sounded similar to the noise that was pumping through the speakers when Jodi Foster first heard the signal. Speaking of 2001, did you know that the robots in Interstellar were inspired by the monolith in 2001?

^ No, I didn't get to see it at the cinema, and it isn't out on Blu-ray over here until next week.  I do intend to see it at some point.

The A-Team

A Daily Star quote on the front of the DVD case would be too high a complement for this film . . .

A very mediocre action romp that probably wouldn't have been made if it wasn't cashing in on an existing name.

Haha I didnt even say it but those ridiculous robots were some of the things that carried the 2001 vibe for me most of all, they're obsolete already! No proper robot scientist (scuse me for not knowing the proper scientific word hehe) would create something like that. Insect like maybe but those silly things!?

Watching Divergent now, blah, book ok.. Film.. Well first half not bad but it's just so less deep, skipping parts I loved most and it's not even close to being as intense as the book. Not liking the casting much either..

Dubious about Interstellar; good films don't have quotes from the Daily Star on their DVD cover.  That's A-Team or Fast and Furious territory . . .

It's a good film, despite not being better than other sci-fi options in the last five years - though it will most likely be praised as a classic in the coming decades and it'll influence a whole generation of filmmakers now in their childhood or youth. It has a very good cast, but their qualities are not fully exploited; it has amazing visual effects, production design and quality of image, but its cinematography is rushed and lacklustre (probably to avoid being dubbed as boring, or as an imposition by producers, but this is speculation from my part); it's ambitious in storytelling, but it resorts to far too many generic elements and deus ex machinas; it had the advice of the renowned physicist Kip Thorne and some elements usually ignored in cinema are considered in this one, but then some wild elements are used to progress the narrative. The film was originally to be directed by Spielberg, it wouldn't probably be so far-fetched; I still enjoyed it and I think it's a good film.

Haha I didnt even say it but those ridiculous robots were some of the things that carried the 2001 vibe for me most of all, they're obsolete already! No proper robot scientist (scuse me for not knowing the proper scientific word hehe) would create something like that. Insect like maybe but those silly things!?

I felt like those robots were made as a trick for people to possess feelings towards them. First I thought their menacing aspect meant to intimidate during law enforcement or interrogations. However, later on its articulation in the sea-waving planet was great, and it felt like they'd have a purpose after all. Would you explain about why they'd be obsolete already, or which sources give a good insight about today's leading robots? I'd like to know more about it, but I don't know any proper sources.

Edit: Cleaning and clarifying the text.

Edited by Sousa

One of my faves, Timstar!! Love it! :D

I watched Birdman last night. I think I liked it, but I'm still in digestion mode lol. It was dark, but funny, and sad too.

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen. Boring slow superficial simplistic garbage. All the characters were ciphers with no depth. Not in any way funny at all. The two romantic leads completely mismatched with no chemistry. Did I mention it was boring?