The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bling Ring. It was okay. Although I must say I probably don't like Sofia Coppola's stuff. We don't mesh. 

I started watching that once but realised I wasn't quite in the mood for it for some reason. I'll try it again one day.

"Not without its flaws" :thud: Careful … that film is a British National TreasureTM

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone :blush2:.

I don't believe though that something should be exempt from criticism just because it's one country's most important heritage. I mean, we all post book reviews, I don't know which book would be "the most important book" for Britain or any other country for that matter, but I promise you I won't get upset if you don't get along with some famous works of Dutch literature. Then again, some people might get upset if a person were to write some thoughts on the Bible or Quran or another religious text, as that might be important to those people.

Anyway, I'll keep my few thoughts to myself then as I certainly don't mean to say that it isn't a good film or anything, it was good and I liked it. I just wouldn't call it 'my most favourite film ever' (but then again, I'm not British).

Athena, I'm not chesil (duh) but I'm sure she meant it as a joke! :yes:The Italian Job... I've never even heard of the movie so it can't be that big of a hit :giggle2:

Yes, it was a joke … sorry, I thought that the emoticon and the trade mark symbol would have given it away. The Italian Job is a well loved film in the UK - it's one of those (along with The Sound of Music and The Great Escape) that regularly appears on our televisions on Bank Holiday weekends, and would regularly appear in lists of our favourite films - but I did only intend it as a joke.

:hide: The newer one with Mark Wahlberg and Edward Norton was great!

:out:

Sacrilege!!!! :drama:  :giggle2: Actually, although it actually bears very little relation to the original as far as I could see, other than the the cars being Minis, I thought it was enjoyable too. :D

The Italian Job is a well loved film in the UK - it's one of those (along with The Sound of Music and The Great Escape) that regularly appears on our televisions on Bank Holiday weekends, and would regularly appear in lists of our favourite films - but I did only intend it as a joke.

Oh wow, so you were serious in that it is a big thing in the UK! :blush::giggle2: Sorry! :D Went to IMDB to check it out. Omg, there's Benny Hill :D 

Yes, it was a joke … sorry, I thought that the emoticon and the trade mark symbol would have given it away. The Italian Job is a well loved film in the UK - it's one of those (along with The Sound of Music and The Great Escape) that regularly appears on our televisions on Bank Holiday weekends, and would regularly appear in lists of our favourite films - but I did only intend it as a joke.

Ah sorry, I tend to take things too seriously :blush2:. I'm not so good at picking up when something is meant as a joke.

The Sound of Music, that was a great film. I haven't seen The Great Escape.

I didn't really know most of the actors in The Italian Job, I only really know Michael Caine but I thought he did a great job. I have seen bits of something to do with Benny Hill (some sort of show?) when I was a teenager but to be honest I didn't really care for it so I only watched a couple of minutes of the DVD (I haven't watched it since :blush2:). I did quite like some of the British accents in The Italian Job, Michael Caine for example has a very specific voice that's pleasant to listen to. It was weird though since I've seen him in newer films, to see such a young face with a voice that I'm used to hearing with an older face (if that makes sense).

It was weird though since I've seen him in newer films, to see such a young face with a voice that I'm used to hearing with an older face (if that makes sense).

Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up. I understand what you mean, when seeing older movies it's a bit strange. A weirder thing will be when actors like Colin Firth or Leo DiCaprio eventually die of old age.

Lucy

Certainly not what I was expecting...  The basic story is quite good, and if it were played straight I think it would have been a good film, but Luc Besson's quirky direction is distracting (certainly when you aren't expecting all the inserts that take place in the first part of the film).  Scarlett Johansson seems to be cementing a career as the new Milla Jovovich.  Okay, but nothing I'd recommend going out of your way to see.

The Monuments Men

Drama about a group of men set the task of retrieving historical art treasures from the retreating Nazis at the end of WWII.  Co-written and directed by George Clooney the film features a rather impressive cast (Bill Murray, Matt Damon, John Goodman, Cate Blanchett, Hugh Bonneville as well as Clooney himself, to name a few).  The story is interesting, but - again - the execution is flawed, with the main narrative being a bit disjoined and, oddly, a soundtrack that doesn’t seem to fit the mood of the film.  Worth a watch if you are interested in WWII history, as it is based on a true story, but otherwise another one you can probably take or leave.

Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up. I understand what you mean, when seeing older movies it's a bit strange. A weirder thing will be when actors like Colin Firth or Leo DiCaprio eventually die of old age.

I hope it'll be a while before any actors like that die.

The original Hong Kong version, Infernal Affairs, is far superior, IMO  :smile:

I have heard that but never managed to catch it yet. I did enjoy the US remake though; watching DiCaprio slowly cracking under the strain was jolly good acting .

Watched The Machinist, first time for my mom, a re watch for me.  She said it didn't have much of a point :P

Oh, is this the one with Christian Bale where he lost a lot of weight? I watched it a few years ago. Don't remember the details, except for the twist and that I found it quite disturbing.

On the weekend I watched the last film in The Hobbit series. Thought it was pretty good, and made me want to watch Lord of the Rings again. I also watched Pain & Gain. I thought it was funny (in a black humour way), and I can understand why the victims' families weren't happy with the comedic way that the main characters were portrayed.