The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

A friend and I wen to see the latest Helen Mirren film today....'Woman in Gold'. Can highly recommend it....was very good and true story. Loved Ryan Renolds in it....and all the way through I kept seeing him as a young Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch from 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also introduced my kids to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, fabulous as always!

I really enjoyed this film when I saw it, a few years ago :D.

Bridget Jones, coz I was just in that sort of mood! :D

I love that film (and the books).

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Well, it's certainly no Return of the King . . .

Unlike the last two I didn't get to see this in the cinema, so I'm guessing it lost something watching it on my PC, but unlike the previous two parts this just seemed a little . . . flat.

Having seen all three parts I can now understand why Jackson felt he needed to make three films, rather than trying to squash everything into two, but at the same time this last part doesn't have any real heart to it, or for that matter a sense of peril that reaches a climax; the threat just oddly fades away, which is a little disappointing.

It's not a bad film, I didn't find myself watching the clock at any point and second rate Middle Earth is still way better than any of the other fantasy films that the original trilogy inspired, but I just wish I could have felt a bit more engaged.

I must add that I still think Martin Freeman makes an excellent Bilbo (to the point where I did feel slightly aggrieved for him at the end of the film when he doesn't really get a goodbye moment in Bag End).

Spirited Away

It's been a while since I last watched this and I was surprised at how much I had forgotten (or perhaps the Blu-ray simply has a different dub from the DVD!).

An excellent film, either way.

Dances with Smurfs.  Er, I mean Avatar: Collector's Edition Extended Cut.  I'm still generally ambivalent about the story, but as a demo disc for my new tv (the old one broke after 8 years of valiant service :( ) and AV receiver (the old one was 16 years old) it is absolutely jaw-dropping :thud: There was lots of 'oh wow look at that!' and then ducking as sound effects whizzed past my shoulder  :giggle2:

X-Men: Days of Future Past.  Not bad, but I was generally distracted by fiddling with the settings on the receiver (it was the first thing I watched once everything was set up)  :giggle2:  Shall have to watch it again to really make up my mind about it.

Cinema ~ Avengers - Age of Ultron. I really enjoyed it.

Apps ~ The Maze Runner , Which I liked and The Punisher with Ray Stevenson from Thor by Marvel, Which was okay.

Planes, it was better than I expected though I wouldn't call it brilliant. My boyfriend I think enjoyed it more than me, since he recognises all the planes and knows their history and such. But I liked it though, it was enjoyable to watch :).

Yesterday we watched The Hobbit 3: The Battle of Five Armies which we gave to my dad as a birthday present. My dad was eager to see it, using his new DVD player (my mum's gift to him for his birthday), so the four of us watched it. It was enjoyable. I did think there was a lot of fighting compared with plot twists, but I enjoyed watching it with the four of us.

Yesterday we rewatched Horton Hears a Who, the movie based on the Dr. Seuss book. I was exhausted so if we were going to watch anything, it would have to be something familiar, so we picked this film as I've seen it several times but didn't remember every single bit, which made it fun to rewatch it again (the right balance between familiarity and not remembering some details). It's a great film.