The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home to find The Philadelphia Story is on … it's my second favourite film ever, so I'm watching that again now :smile2:

Ooh, it's one of my favourites too! Such a stellar cast. :D

We watched Paddington last night and absolutely loved it.  Had been worried by so many great reviews from others, but fortunately, it lived up to the hype!  Utterly charming. :smile2:

Yes! Yes! Yes!  :boogie:  :D .. I was hoping I hadn't overdone it when praising it  :smile2: Although my second viewing of it was a bit stressful .. I still loved every minute of it and laughed a lot at Matt Lucas's scene with Nicole .. just a little cameo but exquisite. 

I liked it too that they didn't make Paddington too cutesy .. he was adorable but he had a grown up voice .. just right I thought.

I want to live in that house! :D

There were so many charming little things … I loved the mural of the tree on the staircase that changed with the seasons, and the use of "Hello" when the phone box door is opened, and the sellotape incident, the pigeons … oh, I could go on!  I want to live in that house too, especially if the car parking spaces are always available! :lol:

There were so many charming little things … I loved the mural of the tree on the staircase that changed with the seasons, and the use of "Hello" when the phone box door is opened, and the sellotape incident, the pigeons … oh, I could go on!  I want to live in that house too, especially if the car parking spaces are always available! :lol:

Oh gosh I loved that mural .. when it changed I thought it was the most magical thing ever! :DI loved the little Calypso band as well and the dolls house and the sandwich always in the hat :D Plus Hugh Bonneville and Sally Hawkins were just perfect! 

I want to watch it again now :D  

Hellboy. I loved it as usual. My brother can't believe I love it because usually I don't like the comics/superhero films much.. but he also didn't know what I meant when I said I love the Lovecraftian influences and that some of the creatures make me go "Cthulhu!". He's never heard of both. He's not a reader, let's just say that.

Star Wars

On Blu-ray for the first time, and I can't say I was overwhelmed by the quality of the disk. 

Yes, it is better than the DVD, but they've done that annoying "over saturate the colour" thing they seem to do with old films/TV programs on Blu-Ray.  The result is that Artoo looks very blue in places, and Tarkin's eyes are so red you'd have thought that Cushing had been out on the lash the night before. 

Perhaps he had been, who knows?

The sound wasn't noticeably better than the DVD either so, in summary, not the most rewarding of viewing experiences . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Journey to Italy by Roberto Rossellini, starring Ingrid Bergman. It's about a british couple who traveled to Naples in order to sell a house they inherited; it's the first time they're alone since their wedding, and their marriage is put to the test. I think it is a very good film, but it isn't as much eventful as it makes one think and dwell on existence and all mundane things. I think older people, with more experience of life, might enjoy it to its fullest.

Yesterday we re-watched Evan Almighty. According to Wikipedia, the film got mostly negative reviews. Personally, I quite liked it, and I liked seeing it again. I really like Steve Carell, and also Lauren Graham is in it, who I now recognise from Gilmore Girls.

I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower with my daughter, what a great film.. We lost count of the amount of times we said, "Aww Charlie" though!

I haven't yet seen this, I believe I recorded it from the film channel a while ago but I haven't got around to watching it yet and now I've forgot which date it was, so it'll take a while to find it :P. I'm glad you liked the film :). Have you read the book, how did it compare? I've read the book and liked it, so presumably I'd like the film as well.

I haven't yet seen this, I believe I recorded it from the film channel a while ago but I haven't got around to watching it yet and now I've forgot which date it was, so it'll take a while to find it :P. I'm glad you liked the film :). Have you read the book, how did it compare? I've read the book and liked it, so presumably I'd like the film as well.

I've not read the book so I can't compare but the film was very well done in my opinion, quite subtle and sweet.

Edited by chaliepud

I watched The 40-Year-Old Virgin yesterday. I hadn't seen it before, and while the humour wasn't always to my tastes (it was a bit rude in places), I did like most of the film :). I love Steve Carell. There were other famous actors in the film too, I thought they did a good job as well.

Watched The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies for the first time, a couple of days ago. Me and my mum didn't get the chance to watch it at the cinema, so it was good when we were able to grab the dvd from Sainsburys the day after the release.

Brilliant film, brilliant ending to the trilogy...some parts were so sad as well!!! We loved the encounter Bilbo and the others have with Smaug - Brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch lol - he truly is a stunning masterpiece of a dragon! We're fans of the LOTR trilogy, so naturally we had to see The Hobbits'. Though we own The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring book, we could never really get into the whole lengthy business of it - by what I mean digesting the myriad of names, places etc that could sort of befuddle the brain to attempt to memorise! We were able to absorb the details and things more comfortably watching the films :)

Very enjoyable films, truly epic

Watched The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies for the first time, a couple of days ago. Me and my mum didn't get the chance to watch it at the cinema, so it was good when we were able to grab the dvd from Sainsburys the day after the release.

Brilliant film, brilliant ending to the trilogy...some parts were so sad as well!!! We loved the encounter Bilbo and the others have with Smaug - Brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch lol - he truly is a stunning masterpiece of a dragon! We're fans of the LOTR trilogy, so naturally we had to see The Hobbits'. Though we own The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring book, we could never really get into the whole lengthy business of it - by what I mean digesting the myriad of names, places etc that could sort of befuddle the brain to attempt to memorise! We were able to absorb the details and things more comfortably watching the films :)

Very enjoyable films, truly epic

I'm glad you enjoyed this :). I haven't yet seen this third film. 

Avengers: Age of Ultron. Similar to the first one, great fight scenes, cracking one liners and too much CGI. Enjoyable but lacks any real heart.

I didn't know this was out yet! Maybe it isn't, here, but maybe it is. I'm glad you liked it but a shame it wasn't perfect.

Drag Me To Hell.  A re-watch, this was an OK no brainer.

The Weatherman. Also a re-watch, I found it pretty boring. This and the next two I have since traded in.

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. I had great hopes for this one, but sadly it doesn't even come close to the book, so I stopped watching before the end after the contrived silliness got too much.

I started to watch the French version of Lady Chatterley . I have never read the book , although I know that it's about a woman who has an affair with her gardener. Vey early on in the film there is a scene where she undresses for bed and she seems almost surprised that she is a woman and so stands for ages looking at herself naked in the mirror. I thought Oh God it's going to be one of those sort of French films where nobody speaks and they just pose about looking introspective. So that was as far as I got with that one.

Accidents Happen. Excellent quirky film with Geena Davis as a tough but damaged mother dealing with family tragedy. What an actress . She is so edgy it's like she can switch from being OK to being frighteningly violent in an instant and is totally believable.