The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've just watched Gravity.  Absolutely loved it.  How on earth did they do it?  OH is quite knowledgable when it comes to special effects and even he was impressed.  The debris speeding towards them in one direction, while they span around and you still get visuals in the mirrors on their wristbands and in their visors?  Wow.

I get censored quoting Thompson, he'd love it.  :D

That is exactly the same censor I received last year when I posted the title of a book I'd read and reviewed.  Lucky 'person of dubious parentage':giggle2:

We went to see Inherent Vice.....the film based on the book of the same title,  by Thomas Pynchon.  I haven't read the book, but husband has.  He said it was pretty close to the book, rambling and a bit plot less.  I mean, there was a plot, but very loose.  The film did go farther with the sex scenes than in the book, and bathroom humor was of course present. The cinematography was gorgeous though,  the colors and costumes from the 1970 time frame perfect.  Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely perfectly cast. 

Yesterday I went to the movies (in an actual theater) for the first time in years and years. We watched Vadelmavenepakolainen, a movie about a Finnish man who's always wanted to be Swedish. The movie's based on a novel by a Finnish author (and I had to go against my principles and watch the movie before reading the book :D). I really enjoyed it :smile2:

When we were waiting for the movie to start, I saw Tarja Halonen (the former president of Finland, and my all time favorite president) walk by with her husband :D So cool! (No, I don't know which movie she was going to watch.) So cool! :cool:

Edited by frankie

When we were waiting for the movie to start, I saw Tarja Halonen (the former president of Finland, and my all time favorite president) walk by with her husband :D So cool! (No, I don't know which movie she was going to watch.) So cool! :cool:

That's quite cool :)!

That's quite cool :)!

Very cool! :) I've seen her once before by accident, at this one fair, I was going out and she was coming in and I stepped to the side to give her way and I just thought 'wow, that's the president!!' and smiled at her and she smiled back at me when passing and I almost curtsied :D 

:o  Wait- what?  You saw a former President at a movie theater??

OMG I just read her bio- SHE was watching a movie in public, just right out in the open like that?  Did anyone recognize her or say anything?

:o  Wait- what?  You saw a former President at a movie theater??

OMG I just read her bio- SHE was watching a movie in public, just right out in the open like that?  Did anyone recognize her or say anything?

Yep, the former president of Finland :) I bet everyone who saw her recognized her but nobody said a thing. Over here we usually let people be in peace :) Yep, she was walking around in the movie theater just like any other person. It's probably a bit different than it is in the States. 

Yep, the former president of Finland :) I bet everyone who saw her recognized her but nobody said a thing. Over here we usually let people be in peace :) Yep, she was walking around in the movie theater just like any other person. It's probably a bit different than it is in the States. 

A bit??  :giggle2: US Presidents have Secret Service Security for the rest of their lives- and need it, unfortunately.  I believe their close families have them too- like Chelsea Clinton probably has some.  I can't imagine seeing Jimmy Carter at the movies, I'd fall over.

Tarja Halonen sounds like an amazing woman!  I wonder what movie she was watching!

A bit??  :giggle2: US Presidents have Secret Service Security for the rest of their lives- and need it, unfortunately.  I believe their close families have them too- like Chelsea Clinton probably has some.  I can't imagine seeing Jimmy Carter at the movies, I'd fall over.

Tarja Halonen sounds like an amazing woman!  I wonder what movie she was watching!

I know that the secret service business is necessary over there, but I just hate it that we live in the kind of world where this is the case. I mean I hate it that we've made it that type of a place to live in :(  But yeah, Tarja is wickedly awesome. I'm so proud of having had her as our president :) 

Black Sheep (an old favourite) and After The Dark,   which one my  16 and 17 year old  wanted to watch especially; it was about a thought experiment posed in a philosophy class. The premise of the film was interesting but the plot veered into stupid unfortunately and the acting was a bit naff.

We've just watched Gravity.  Absolutely loved it.  How on earth did they do it?  OH is quite knowledgable when it comes to special effects and even he was impressed.  The debris speeding towards them in one direction, while they span around and you still get visuals in the mirrors on their wristbands and in their visors?  Wow.

It's fabulous, isn't it? I've seen it twice now. It was so well done, and really quite scary.

We went to see Inherent Vice.....the film based on the book of the same title,  by Thomas Pynchon.  I haven't read the book, but husband has.  He said it was pretty close to the book, rambling and a bit plot less.  I mean, there was a plot, but very loose.  The film did go farther with the sex scenes than in the book, and bathroom humor was of course present. The cinematography was gorgeous though,  the colors and costumes from the 1970 time frame perfect.  Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely perfectly cast. 

Bathroom humour and Thomas Pynchon? Huh. I always thought his books sounded super-intelligent. Was I wrong in thinking that?

Yesterday I went to the movies (in an actual theater) for the first time in years and years. We watched Vadelmavenepakolainen, a movie about a Finnish man who's always wanted to be Swedish. The movie's based on a novel by a Finnish author (and I had to go against my principles and watch the movie before reading the book :D). I really enjoyed it :smile2:

WOW! That's awesome! And you've seen her twice? She might start to recognise you if you see her again. :)

I didn't know they had SSS for the rest of their lives, although I guess it's not surprising.

Our Prime Ministers would be more like Finland's Presidents, I think. They just go back to their 'normal' lives when they're done. In 1967 we had a Prime Minister who went for a swim at a beach and was never seen again. I suppose the Secret Service would go into the water with Obama?

Our Prime Ministers would be more like Finland's Presidents, I think. They just go back to their 'normal' lives when they're done. In 1967 we had a Prime Minister who went for a swim at a beach and was never seen again. I suppose the Secret Service would go into the water with Obama?

I'm pretty sure our primne ministers are more like Finland's presidents too.

EDIT: Though of course, ours don't have nearly as much power as the US presidents do, for example. We're a democracy (with a monarchy), and there are ~150 people in the 'Second Chamber' (Tweede Kamer) and another 75 in the 'First Chamber' (Eerste Kamer) (I believe in the UK they have the 'house of commons' and the 'house of lords' or such?).

Edited by Athena

Bathroom humour and Thomas Pynchon? Huh. I always thought his books sounded super-intelligent. Was I wrong in thinking that?

Pynchon is quite clever, it's true.  I dislike his sense of humor though.  But what is funny to me is that he is so anti-establishment, he is actually a caricature of "anti-establishment" . :D

But in the film, I was referring to some of the scenes that I didn't care for.  I really don't care much for seeing someone put their (literally) dirty feet up in the screen and having them examine and pull on the toes.  It isn't that it isn't done, I just don't care to have it in vividTechnicolor about twenty feet high.  :)

WOW! That's awesome! And you've seen her twice? She might start to recognise you if you see her again. :)

I'm probably going to the movies another time in a short while and I expect to see the pressie again, I'm sure we'll be BFFs by the end of the year :D

Took the boys to see Paddington. They LOVED it! I want aware that Nicole Kidman costars in the movie. We had the entire theater to ourselves.

The next movie we're going to is "Home" with Jim Parsons and Rihanna. Hilarious trailer!

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/watch-home-trailer-jim-parsons-rihanna-dreamworks-1201219583/

Edited by Virginia