What's Up in January? - 2015

Athena

Thanks Abby and Nollaig! She's still blind in the eye but the swelling is going down, that is a good thing. She seems to be making the best of it. Tomorrow is her son's 5th birthday and she's occupying herself trying to find someone to bake him a cake. I'm taking the kids down on Wednesday since I have a doctors appointment. Her headache is pretty much gone so the visit should be more enjoyable.

I decided to revisit my blog. Its been sitting there, like an albatross around my neck for over a year. I can't seem to make up my mind exactly which direction I want to take it but I know I must take it somewhere. I plan to copy write it once I get to the six month period of consistent writings. Once money is involved, I HAVE to commit!

I'm also watching Middlemarch.

Edited by Virginia

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Virginia :friends0: I am so sorry!  Somehow, I missed your post above Nollaig's.  That is just terrible, after all that you all have been through!  It's astounding! 

Today, I dropped my math course.  I am extremely disappointed in myself, but I just couldn't hack it.  I need the course below it.  Plus, the teacher was really annoying.  I will, of course, continue with English.  Anyway, I just feel really let down :(

Virginia :friends0: I am so sorry!  Somehow, I missed your post above Nollaig's.  That is just terrible, after all that you all have been through!  It's astounding! 

Today, I dropped my math course.  I am extremely disappointed in myself, but I just couldn't hack it.  I need the course below it.  Plus, the teacher was really annoying.  I will, of course, continue with English.  Anyway, I just feel really let down :(

Sorry, that'll be me hogging all the attention! :P

I'm sorry about your math course. I dropped a course just after Christmas because I couldn't hack it, and I know the feeling. :empathy:

Awww :(. I hope you can do the one below it allright and that you enjoy your English course :friends0:.

I've been feeling crafty lately, so I'm taking a break from reading tonight to do some sewing. I found a fabric that I love on sale for $2.50/yard and am using it to make a little spring/summer skirt. I'm winging it with no pattern, so let's see how it goes.

Right now I'm onto hand sewing the hem before I move onto gathering the skirt. I probably won't attach the waistband until tomorrow. I'm still a bit undecided as to how I want to approach that, so it's best to do it when I'm fresh, I think.

I've been feeling crafty lately, so I'm taking a break from reading tonight to do some sewing. I found a fabric that I love on sale for $2.50/yard and am using it to make a little spring/summer skirt. I'm winging it with no pattern, so let's see how it goes.

Wow- I'm sure it will be pretty when you are finished :smile:

We decided to leave for Disneyland yesterday after school was out (8 hour drive).  We had a blast this morning and then my little one needed a rest so we are in our hotel now, before going back tonight for fireworks and some more rides!  I know we have a weather thread, but I thought I should just mention Southern California's 80F (27C) temperatures in late January  :P  There are people actually laying out by the pool :o

That's slightly warmer than where I am then, where on Thursday night the temperature plummeted to minus 8 degrees ! That is cold.

I am starting to think about the trip to Iceland now, which will be 5 weeks today. I had a play around with the camera last night and have worked out the best way to use the manual mode. I have also managed to set a second pair of winter walking trousers courtesy of Ebay.

Apart from that I have been doing a lot of writing - I have been working on a rewrite of the book I wrote and published in 2006 since the middle of November. I am up to chapter 7 out of 33 and the word count has already increased by 4000, bearing in mind that the index has been removed (no point in having one for kindle books, as you can search them anyway). 

On the work front, I have decided not to go for the role of Support Worker as I realise that it is not at this time the right thing to do. I have come to realise that my desire to do this was borne from the issues I had with one of the other Managers where I perceived that I was not being seen and treated as an equal. Although I could probably do this job and would in time be good at it, I need to be sure that I am doing it for the right reasons, and this is not one of them. I need to work on m my own sense of self worth first. For the moment then it is on hold.    

Note: Some emoticons were removed.

Had a productive morning so far … collected a picture from the framers, had my reading glasses fixed at the opticians, picked up my next reading group book from the library and had a coffee, toast and a bit of a read at the café! 

It sounds lovely, I'm glad you had a good day :)

I have my parents and brother here to celebrate Mums 70th birthday. We've spent the day in Windsor and just hassle birthday cake.. Having a quiet couple of hours then off out to a nice Italian for dinner.

I hope you had fun :). Happy belated birthday to you mum.

Right now I'm onto hand sewing the hem before I move onto gathering the skirt. I probably won't attach the waistband until tomorrow. I'm still a bit undecided as to how I want to approach that, so it's best to do it when I'm fresh, I think.

Good luck :)! I hope it will work out well :)

We decided to leave for Disneyland yesterday after school was out (8 hour drive).  We had a blast this morning and then my little one needed a rest so we are in our hotel now, before going back tonight for fireworks and some more rides!  I know we have a weather thread, but I thought I should just mention Southern California's 80F (27C) temperatures in late January  There are people actually laying out by the pool

That's very warm! Yesterday it snowed and today some of the snow is still there. Temperatures are below 0 right now, since the snow is not melting. I hope you have / had fun in Disneyland :)

I am starting to think about the trip to Iceland now, which will be 5 weeks today. I had a play around with the camera last night and have worked out the best way to use the manual mode. I have also managed to set a second pair of winter walking trousers courtesy of Ebay.

Apart from that I have been doing a lot of writing - I have been working on a rewrite of the book I wrote and published in 2006 since the middle of November. I am up to chapter 7 out of 33 and the word count has already increased by 4000, bearing in mind that the index has been removed (no point in having one for kindle books, as you can search them anyway). 

On the work front, I have decided not to go for the role of Support Worker as I realise that it is not at this time the right thing to do. I have come to realise that my desire to do this was borne from the issues I had with one of the other Managers where I perceived that I was not being seen and treated as an equal. Although I could probably do this job and would in time be good at it, I need to be sure that I am doing it for the right reasons, and this is not one of them. I need to work on m my own sense of self worth first. For the moment then it is on hold.

I wish you lots of fun on your trip to Iceland, and hope you can make some lovely photos. I'm glad the re-writing is going well. I'm glad you feel you made the right decision in regards to not taking the job. Taking it for the wrong reason, would not have been good. I'm glad you're doing well :).

I just recovered from a version of the flu a few days ago, and now it turns out I'm ill again, with a different flu this time :banghead:. My parents have it too. Gladly so far my boyfriend seems allright, fingers crossed he won't catch it this time, also. My muscles really ache and I've not been able to sleep that well the past few days because of it (I barely slept one night, then a night a bit better, this morning I slept until 4:30 but then couldn't sleep anymore). Since yesterday my legs really hurt and any sort of movement is very painful. I have to force myself to sit down or stand back up again, or to walk, because it just hurts. It feels like I've overused my legs, like I've been running hard or such, but I've not done a lot more physically than my usual things.

Just spent a lovely weekend with an old college buddy who came to visit with her little girl (a year older than Xan). Had a fantastic time catching up - it's the first time we've seen each other in almost 19 years! - and will definitely do it again. :)

Just spent a lovely weekend with an old college buddy who came to visit with her little girl (a year older than Xan). Had a fantastic time catching up - it's the first time we've seen each other in almost 19 years! - and will definitely do it again. :)

Awww, that's nice, I'm glad you had fun :)!

This morning my head is hurting a lot worse than yesterday. I've taken a paracetamol which has made it more bearable, so I'm glad for that. My legs are feeling a bit better than yesterday though, so that's good!

Most of my day has been spent tidying my room for my friend to stay the next two nights, as she has college here in Cork (but lives in Kerry). Really happy about it - my room got into a state before Christmas as I was sick for most of November and December, and really stressed out. I hadn't felt motivated to sort it since, but with someone coming to stay, I had to, and now it's almost entirely clean and tidy - woo!

Going to the cinema tonight, but still not sure if we're going to see Ex Machina or Birdman.

Had to go to the dentist for treatment and the anaesthetic is wearing off now, so I'm in a bit of pain.  Nothing serious, more just a niggling pain, but I think I'll probably have it for the evening.  Nothing else remotely interesting has happened today (not that the dentist trip was interesting, but you know what I mean ;)), and I doubt if much will happen for the rest of the week, just another normal week at work, so looking forward to the weekend already! :D

Oh .. sorry to hear that Claire :( .. toothache is the worst :hug:

Alan is home again today after three days away so yippee .. nothing much happening but there is wine in the glass and a chicken in the oven :D Also we're playing some of the old vinyl I bought last week on the Dansette so happy days  :cows:  

Spent the day on the road picking the kids up. They won't have weekend visits for a few weeks as they are packing up and moving over the weekend. He's getting out of the Marine Corp on 3 February and they are moving to Atlanta Georgia. The kids should bemail with them by the middle of the month. It's amazing how my little ones grow over a weekend.

Since I did the driving hubby is doing the spaghetti dinner. We both bathed all five of them. I love team work! After they get settled I will be taking my meds for the arthritis pain in my neck. Spinal fusion can't fix that.

So dinner and resting is in order me thinks!

Note: Some emoticons were put back into their cages.

Most of my day has been spent tidying my room for my friend to stay the next two nights, as she has college here in Cork (but lives in Kerry). Really happy about it - my room got into a state before Christmas as I was sick for most of November and December, and really stressed out. I hadn't felt motivated to sort it since, but with someone coming to stay, I had to, and now it's almost entirely clean and tidy - woo!

Going to the cinema tonight, but still not sure if we're going to see Ex Machina or Birdman.

Well done on the tidying up! I hope you have fun with your friend :).

Had to go to the dentist for treatment and the anaesthetic is wearing off now, so I'm in a bit of pain.  Nothing serious, more just a niggling pain, but I think I'll probably have it for the evening.  Nothing else remotely interesting has happened today (not that the dentist trip was interesting, but you know what I mean), and I doubt if much will happen for the rest of the week, just another normal week at work, so looking forward to the weekend already!

Awwww I'm sorry to hear about your toothache :(. I hope it feels better soon. I wish you a great weekend!

Oh .. sorry to hear that Claire .. toothache is the worst

Alan is home again today after three days away so yippee .. nothing much happening but there is wine in the glass and a chicken in the oven Also we're playing some of the old vinyl I bought last week on the Dansette so happy days   

I hope you and Alan have / had a nice time together :).

Spent the day on the road picking the kids up. They won't have weekend visits for a few weeks as they are packing up and moving over the weekend. He's getting out of the Marine Corp on 3 February and they are moving to Atlanta Georgia. The kids should bemail with them by the middle of the month. It's amazing how my little ones grow over a weekend.

Since I did the driving hubby is doing the spaghetti dinner. We both bathed all five of them. I love team work! After they get settled I will be taking my meds for the arthritis pain in my neck. Spinal fusion can't fix that.

So dinner and resting is in order me thinks!

I hope you feel better soon after some rest :).

I'm feeling a bit better than yesterday, so that's good :). My mum is ill too, she has got it worse. I don't know if we have the same flu or whether it's two different ones as she seems much worse than me. She stayed home from work yesterday and is staying home from work today too, she must be really ill or she'd go to work. I'm checking up on her every once in a while, she phones me if she needs anything. I hope she will feel better soon.

My phone call with the psychiatrist is this afternoon, so I hope it will go allright.

Took the dog for a walk. We did 1.47 miles. I would have done more but I have this condition that basically means I am allergic to sweat. Seriously, I get burning sensation on my inner thighs, arms and chest area and will break out in hives. I have to take an antihistamine an hour before working out. For some reason it didn't work this morning so I had to cut it short. Most times if it gets too bad someone has to pick me up quick or I might be arrested for indecent exposure because the condition really makes you want to strip and scratch. Boot camp was hell.

I guess I'll spend the day tiding up my desk and getting some administrative paperwork taken care of.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition :( that can't be easy to live with.

My parents are both ill now :(. Tomorrow is my anniversary and we had planned to go to a restaurant tonight to celebrate it, but unfortunately I don't think my mum is well enough to drive us (there is no way I can drive back after spending time in a somewhat noisy restaurant). I'll be glad though if my boyfriend and I both feel allright (he feels very tired at the moment) so we can do something special tomorrow, at least (a nice dinner at home).

Wow- I'm sure it will be pretty when you are finished :smile:

We decided to leave for Disneyland yesterday after school was out (8 hour drive).  We had a blast this morning and then my little one needed a rest so we are in our hotel now, before going back tonight for fireworks and some more rides!  I know we have a weather thread, but I thought I should just mention Southern California's 80F (27C) temperatures in late January  :P  There are people actually laying out by the pool :o

I've been meaning to ask you, did you see any signs around Disneyland about the measles outbreak?  Are they taking any sort of precautions?

I just saw that there are 1,000 people in Arizona being.....maybe not actually quarantined, but watched because they were exposed. 

I'm just interested in a first hand view of the situation.

I've been meaning to ask you, did you see any signs around Disneyland about the measles outbreak?  Are they taking any sort of precautions?

I just saw that there are 1,000 people in Arizona being.....maybe not actually quarantined, but watched because they were exposed. 

I'm just interested in a first hand view of the situation.

Nope- just a few people joking about it :smile:

At least measles are curable!  No picnic though, for sure.  Did you have them?