What's Up in January? - 2015

Athena

I can hardly believe it's January already! So what's up for you in this New Year?

Today I'm mainly going to rest as yesterday was stressful and tiring. I managed to stay up in the end which was good. We watched the fireworks last night which was nice. I had some trouble falling asleep, with the noise from outside, my head being full and my medication worn off. I got up early this morning because I couldn't sleep anymore (biorhythym and all that.., and I was hungry.) The house was very smoky when I got up, from all the fireworks, I could hardly breathe and got an asthma attack.

In the next few days I plan to rest, do some usual shopping + library, and I plan to do a lot of reading during the read-a-thon.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy New Year, Gaia! A read-a-thon is a great way to start the new year, isn't it?

I'm here at 10:00, and can barely open my eyes. What I would like to do is sleep all day, but I really need to get up and get my oil changed and car washed before I head to work.

I am looking forward to the read-a-thon as well. I already breezed through The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which would have been perfect for it, but fortunately I stumbled across my current read, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which I'll undoubtedly finish tomorrow. If I can get my hand on a copy, The Rosie Effect will be part of my reading this weekend.

As for 2015, I have many resolutions yet to come. A vacation with the family and regular dates with my dearest are certainly among them.

My mom is baking a turkey, so I guess I will force myself off the couch and go over there today :P

Just watching The Rose Parade on TV, a series of floats that travel down a street in Pasadena, California.  All the floats are made of entirely editable things, but mostly flowers.  It is gorgeous! 

I think we will be traveling for my birthday, on the 8th.  Or close to it, as school will be back in by then.

I received a telephone call yesterday (day before New Year's) asking me if I would be interested in going back to work. I was told that it would be short term for only a few months (Yeah, I have heard that before). They want me to be part of a proposal team to develop an estimate for the engineering of a new Nuclear Power Plant. It will be a huge plant if built.

I told them I would consider. Later in the day I called them back and said I wasn't interested. We then talked for about 30 minutes and they asked me to re-consider and they would call me on Jan. 5th to discuss further. My answer will still be no. :)

I received a telephone call yesterday (day before New Year's) asking me if I would be interested in going back to work. I was told that it would be short term for only a few months (Yeah, I have heard that before). They want me to be part of a proposal team to develop an estimate for the engineering of a new Nuclear Power Plant. It will be a huge plant if built.

I told them I would consider. Later in the day I called them back and said I wasn't interested. We then talked for about 30 minutes and they asked me to re-consider and they would call me on Jan. 5th to discuss further. My answer will still be no. :)

Wow Muggle, they want you back real bad!! But if you're enjoying retirement, stick to your guns :yes: 

Happy New Year, Gaia! A read-a-thon is a great way to start the new year, isn't it?

I'm here at 10:00, and can barely open my eyes. What I would like to do is sleep all day, but I really need to get up and get my oil changed and car washed before I head to work.

I am looking forward to the read-a-thon as well. I already breezed through The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which would have been perfect for it, but fortunately I stumbled across my current read, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which I'll undoubtedly finish tomorrow. If I can get my hand on a copy, The Rosie Effect will be part of my reading this weekend.

As for 2015, I have many resolutions yet to come. A vacation with the family and regular dates with my dearest are certainly among them.

I fully agree :)!

I'd love to hear what you think of The Rosie Effect once you've read it. I'm waiting for the smaller paperback release, though I can't find it listed yet anywhere (preferably also one to match my cover of book 1). I might have to get one that doesn't match in size and cover.

I hope you will get that vacation and time with your loved ones :).

I didn't go on a vacation last year, this year I hope to feel good enough to do so.

Happy New Year Just been relaxing today tomorrow we got relatives coming over so that shill be nice.

That sounds nice, Happy New Year to you too :)

My mom is baking a turkey, so I guess I will force myself off the couch and go over there today :P

Just watching The Rose Parade on TV, a series of floats that travel down a street in Pasadena, California.  All the floats are made of entirely editable things, but mostly flowers.  It is gorgeous! 

I think we will be traveling for my birthday, on the 8th.  Or close to it, as school will be back in by then.

I wish you lots of fun with the travelling :)

They must really want you! I agree with Poppy, if you're happy with your retirement do stick to that if that's what you want :). I don't think I knew you used to work as an engineer, that's pretty cool. My brother is currently studying mechanical engineering (he's doing his MSc. education at the moment) and my dad works at the mechanical engineering department of the university. My granddad (my dad's father), he also studied mechanical engineering, and his ancestor (I'm not entirely sure how far back) worked on one of the first cars or automotive principles, he wrote a book about it. How long have you been retired? You must have been a great employee if they want you back.

Happy new year, everyone! New year, new beginning - I love fresh starts!

I already have my 52 week challenge up and running and I realised this morning that this October will mark 10 years of my being on this wonderful forum! SO grateful for all the wonderful people I've "met" here during the last decade - gives me a raging case of the warm fuzzies to think of it. :)

Today I'm heading into town to pick up some white yarn so I can start putting together this crocheted blanket as a gift for the daughter of a friend. I've been crocheting dozens of little "yoyos" in soft shades of pink, purple and blue, and they'll all be connected with white and then a white border around to finish it. I think it's going to look very pretty and I hope she'll like it as much as I enjoy making it. I already finished a very pretty scarf for her Mum and one for Xan this year...

I'm just going to be taking it easy today and tomorrow as I have to go back to work on Monday. I'm already getting depressed about it.  :cray:  It's going to be so busy, and it will be a 6 day working week, so I'm all doom and gloom at the moment. :weeping:

I'm just going to be taking it easy today and tomorrow as I have to go back to work on Monday. I'm already getting depressed about it.  :cray:  It's going to be so busy, and it will be a 6 day working week, so I'm all doom and gloom at the moment. :weeping:

Awww :( I wish you lots of strength!

I've been busy all morning so now I'm finally sitting down and having a rest :).

Got my Grom coming round for Sunday dinner today. We have her round once or twice a month for Sunday lunch and it's lovely - so glad we live close enough to do that now! Josh had the longest sleep he's ever had last night, He went 3 hours from 8pm till 11pm, had his last feed of the night, then slept from around midnight till almost 8am! I feel so rested it's unbelievable - I'm almost hyper this morning! Now that breakfast is all done with, I'd best get the housework finished so I can prep the dinner. The chicken is already roasted (did that last night as Grom prefers her meat cold - also makes it WAY easier to carve - LOL!), so just the veg to get sorted. :)

I hope you have fun, Kell :)! Is Grom your grandmother? Sorry for not knowing the slang / abbreviation :blush2:.

Today we're trying an experiment, we're slow cooking meat on our heater. I haven't done this before, and my mum hasn't in a long time, but we're both hoping it'll be nice! You're meant to slowly cook the meat on a low temperature for 3-5 hours, so I hope it'll work out!

Happy New Year everybody ! 

The New Year is off to a  good start for me - towards the end of November I decided to start rewriting the book that I wrote and published 10 years ago, and I am making good progress. The first 2 chapters have been completely rewritten. The 2nd chapter has doubled in size, so has now been split into 2. What was the introduction has also been added to and moved to a different place, so that it is now chapter 4. Only 31 more chapters to go before it's all complete !

I had forgotten though how much I enjoyed the writing process the first time around and all the learning and research that went along with it. Of course it is a lot easier now as there is so much more information out there, but I have discovered some amazing things already, which will surprise a lot of people when all the threads are pulled together.

I have a trip to Iceland booked for March to also look forward to which I am now starting to make plans for - looking at the various options for Northern Lights tours and so on. There have been some good sightings this season, so I am hopeful of seeing them again. :smile:   

I hope you have fun, Kell :)! Is Grom your grandmother? Sorry for not knowing the slang / abbreviation :blush2:.

Today we're trying an experiment, we're slow cooking meat on our heater. I haven't done this before, and my mum hasn't in a long time, but we're both hoping it'll be nice! You're meant to slowly cook the meat on a low temperature for 3-5 hours, so I hope it'll work out!

Yes, Grom is the pet name we have for my maternal grandma. My own Mam gets called Mama (sounds more like Mommaw) to the little ones and Grandma to the older kids, Dale's Mum is known as Nana, and my step-mum is Granny. The male elders all have different names too - My Dad is Grandpa, Dale's Dad is Granddad, and my step-dad is Pop-pop or Pop. It saves having to attach another name, like Grandma Andrew (in which case both Mama and Grom would have that name - LOL!), or Granddad Smurthwaite, etc, and makes it easier for the kids. :)

The house is now bare...... :blush2: ...yes all the Christmas things have been put away again for another year.....tree in the garden waiting to be recycled into bits for the fire....

Happy New Year everybody ! 

The New Year is off to a  good start for me - towards the end of November I decided to start rewriting the book that I wrote and published 10 years ago, and I am making good progress. The first 2 chapters have been completely rewritten. The 2nd chapter has doubled in size, so has now been split into 2. What was the introduction has also been added to and moved to a different place, so that it is now chapter 4. Only 31 more chapters to go before it's all complete !

I had forgotten though how much I enjoyed the writing process the first time around and all the learning and research that went along with it. Of course it is a lot easier now as there is so much more information out there, but I have discovered some amazing things already, which will surprise a lot of people when all the threads are pulled together.

I have a trip to Iceland booked for March to also look forward to which I am now starting to make plans for - looking at the various options for Northern Lights tours and so on. There have been some good sightings this season, so I am hopeful of seeing them again. :smile:

Happy New Year to you too!

I'm glad the writing is progressing well and that you're enjoying it :).

I wish you lots of fun on your trip in March :).

Yes, Grom is the pet name we have for my maternal grandma. My own Mam gets called Mama (sounds more like Mommaw) to the little ones and Grandma to the older kids, Dale's Mum is known as Nana, and my step-mum is Granny. The male elders all have different names too - My Dad is Grandpa, Dale's Dad is Granddad, and my step-dad is Pop-pop or Pop. It saves having to attach another name, like Grandma Andrew (in which case both Mama and Grom would have that name - LOL!), or Granddad Smurthwaite, etc, and makes it easier for the kids. :)

That makes sense! It's nice you have a big family like that :).

The house is now bare...... :blush2: ...yes all the Christmas things have been put away again for another year.....tree in the garden waiting to be recycled into bits for the fire....

I find it's sad on one hand to put away the decorations and on the other it also feels cleaned up and new for the new year. We've put ours away yesterday.

I've got a lot of reviews to write and some books and DVDs to catalogue. I've also got YouTube videos to catch up on and I hope to play some more Pokémon and to read some more. I probably won't be able to do all of this today!

Ilse, my ambulante hulp was here this morning, it went well. I'm quite tired though from the past while, but I think we were able to have a good talk and we also talked about something practical to do with doing the dishes.

Sigh...it's 5:30 a.m. here and I'm heading back to my full-time job after two glorious weeks off. I do like my job, but I've become a bit spoiled about ignoring the alarm clock! It's a little chilly this morning, so that doesn't make getting out of bed any easier.

Oh wait, it's a bit later than I thought. 6:00 a.m. -- I suppose I can't put it off any longer. I'm off to greet the day!

Sigh...it's 5:30 a.m. here and I'm heading back to my full-time job after two glorious weeks off. I do like my job, but I've become a bit spoiled about ignoring the alarm clock! It's a little chilly this morning, so that doesn't make getting out of bed any easier.

Oh wait, it's a bit later than I thought. 6:00 a.m. -- I suppose I can't put it off any longer. I'm off to greet the day!

That's very early! Good luck with your job :).

Hope you have a good day!

My daughter is back at school today as well, so it is back to being up at 6:00am.  I begin next Monday  :weeping:

First proper day back at work after a long Christmas break … you know, I could take or leave it, I would actually rather have spent the day at home reading my book.  Oh hang on … what are these bills that need paying … ah well, I guess it's back to the office again tomorrow. ;)

Last night, Josh slept through for the first time ever. He went to be at 8pm, was asleep at 8.30pm, and didn't stir till we were all woken by the power cut setting off all the alarms on the street at 5.35am. I think he would have slept at least another hour if it hadn't been for that! Hoping for a repeat performance tonight - of the sleeping, not the power cut. ;)

Last night, Josh slept through for the first time ever. He went to be at 8pm, was asleep at 8.30pm, and didn't stir till we were all woken by the power cut setting off all the alarms on the street at 5.35am. I think he would have slept at least another hour if it hadn't been for that! Hoping for a repeat performance tonight - of the sleeping, not the power cut. ;)

Isn't that such a relief when they start sleeping through the night?  I remember those first few well lol  Forgive me if you have said, but how old is he?