2008 - 85
2009 - 47
2010 - 43
2011 - 61
2012 - 61
2013 - 69
2014 - 62

1. Alice and the Fly by James Rice
2. Hollow World by Michael J Sullivan (audio)
3. The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
4. The Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (audio)
5. A Robot in the Garden by Deborah Install
6. Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C Clarke (audio)
7. Rama II by Arthur C Clarke and Gentry Lee (audio)
8. The Ice Twins by S K Tremayne
9. Way Down Dark by James Smythe
10. Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig
11. The Garden of Rama by Arthur C Clarke and Gentry Lee (audio)
12. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
13. Killing The Dead by Marcus Sedgwick (WBD book)
14. The Death House by Sarah Pinborough
15. Migraine by Oliver Sacks
16. Rama Revealed by Arthur C Clarke and Gentry Lee (audio)
17. Uprooted by Naomi Novik
18. Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neil
19. Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who) by Patrick Ness
20. Inherit the Stars by James Hogan (audio)
21. Starborn by Lucy Hounsom
22. The Imagination Box by Martyn Ford
23. True Face by Siobhan Curham
24. The Humans by Matt Haig (audio)
25. Temeraire by Naomi Novik
26. Sleepless by Lou Morgan
27. The Territory by Sarah Govett
28. The Glass Demon by Helen Grant
29. The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
30. Read Me Like A Book by Liz Kessler
31. Starring Kitty by Keris Stainton
32. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (audio)
33. The Fold by Peter Clines (audio)
34. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (audio)
35. Deep Water by Lu Hersey
36. Darkmere by Helen Maslin
37. Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (audio)
38. The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich
39. City of Halves by Lucy Inglis
40. Monster by CJ Skuse
41. Alive by Scott Sigler (audio)
42. A Thousand Nights by EK Johnston
43. The Box of Demons by Daniel Whelan
44. Asking For It by Louise o'Neill
45. 7 Days by Eve Ainsworth
46. Half A King by Joe Abercrombie (audio)
47. Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
48. Half the World by Joe Abercrombie (audio)
49. Half a War by Joe Abercrombie (audio)
50. Lost Souls by Seth Patrick
51. Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard
52. Time Lord Fairy Tales
53. Book of Lies by Teri Terry
54. Quirkology by Richard Wiseman (audio)
55. Paranormality by Richard Wiseman (audio)
56. The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood
57. Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristof
58. Faceless by Alyssa Sheinmel

59. The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (audio)

I've decided to create a separate list for my graphic novels and comics HERE.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alice and the Fly - difficult to review, as I don't want to say much about the actual story....

Miss Hayes has a new theory. She thinks my condition’s caused by some traumatic incident from my past I keep deep-rooted in my mind. As soon as I come clean I’ll flood out all these tears and it’ll all be ok and I won’t be scared of Them anymore. The truth is I can’t think of any single traumatic childhood incident to tell her. I mean, there are plenty of bad memories – Herb’s death, or the time I bit the hole in my tongue, or Finners Island, out on the boat with Sarah – but none of these are what caused the phobia. I’ve always had it. It’s Them. I’m just scared of Them. It’s that simple.

The story in this debut by James Rice is told by Greg, as he writes to Alice, a girl he likes, in his journal. Greg comes across as an awkward, shy boy with a phobia of ‘Them’ (which turn out to be spiders) but as the book goes on, it’s obvious there is more to be told. In fact, the story is interspersed with extracts of interviews of various characters with the police, which hint of much deeper issues.

Alice and the Fly is a book which gradually takes hold, as we find out more about Greg, his family, and his mental health problems. Telling the story from Greg’s point of view allows you to experience how he sees his world, and yet there is enough information to allow you to see what’s really going on, all the way to the heartbreaking conclusion.

My first book of 2015, and highly recommended.

Have just finished my 1st audiobook of the year - I almost gave up on it a few times, but I've given up on so many of my audiobooks that I need to keep going with at least some of them! Anyway, this one has seems to have award nominations, and good reviews, but for some reason it just didn't work for me. It tells the story of Ellis Rogers, who builds a time machine, and travels 2000 years into the future. There are some interesting concepts, where people all look alike because they all use the same perfect genes, and portals which allow them to travel anywhere.

To me, some things weren't explained well enough, and I hated the character of 'Ren'. There are aspects of philosophy throughout, such as the existence or absence  of God, plus the idea of love is explored, as the people of the future have no gender, and relationships are a lot different.

In conclusion, there were some good ideas and concepts, but for me they just didn't gel well enough. There may be further books set in the same world, and I'm unsure as to whether I'd pick them up or not.

Third book finished, but they were all started last year, so I've not be reading that fast! It's The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman - over all, it was pretty good, but I did feel there was a lot of information, and it would have been better if I'd had more time to get into it, rather than reading it in little bits - but then I often feel that about fantasy books. And this is what this basically is, a fantasy, but based around books and libraries.

I need time to write a decent review, but for fantasy readers who may wish to try it, the kindle version is only 99p at the moment - and it's a recent release. 

Your uncertainty about those last two is making me uncertain haha but I'm definitely intrigued by the mention of philosophy in the former, and by the libraries/books in the latter, so they've both gone on my wishlist :)

Happy reading, Michelle! Looking forward to getting more YA recs from you this year. :)

I love book about books and libraries, so I'm going to look into The Invisible Library. You mentioned that you give up on a lot of audiobooks. Is that because of the story or the narrator?

ETA: I just looked it up on Goodreads. The synopsis describes it as 'Doctor Who with librarian spies'. Have you seen a new show called The Librarians, Michelle? After I watched the first couple of episodes, I recommended it to my partner as being 'like Doctor Who, but with a huge library!' And just now I saw a review on Goodreads which likened The Invisible Library to the show The Librarians. :) I know you're a big Doctor Who fan, so maybe you would enjoy watching the show. Also, did you know that the book is the 'first instalment'?

There are multiple reasons why I give up on audiobooks - sometimes I make bad choices when I get them, sometimes I don't get on with the stories, sometimes it's the narrator. It's probably no different to my paper books, but I'm more aware because I can see them all listed together!

I did actually ask the author of The Invisible Library about future books, and she said there would be. I thought there would, but I expected new characters, because of the way this one wrapped up - but she said it's the same ones. That was one thing in it's favour, no cliff hanger at the end. :)

Overall I would recommend The Invisible Library, there was just a lot to take in, and I wanted to know more about the actual library side.

The Librarians looks interesting - it looks as if I may have missed the first few over here. I shall investigate. Thanks Kylie. :)