• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I'm so behind! Ok, some highlights...

7 Days by Eve Ainsworth - this is an interesting, quick read. It tells the story of someone being bullied, day by day - but then each day it also tells the side of the person doing the bullying, and you begin to realise that things aren't as simple as they seem. It's a good one for teens of all ages.

Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan - https://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/magnus-chase-and-the-sword-of-summer-by-rick-riordan/- I enjoyed going back to Rick's worlds, and liked this one.

Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard - https://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2015/10/30/beautiful-broken-things-by-sara-barnard-early-glimpse/- oh my, I loved this story! It's so good to see YA being written about strong friendship, and the issues are so well handled. 

Time Lord Fairy Tales - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1405920025?keywords=time%20lord%20fairy%20tales&qid=1449486012&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1- this book looks lovely, and is a good, fun read. It takes the form of a book of fairy tales which would be read to young Time Lords. 

I've also read The Walking Dead Compendiums 1 and 2, and am half way through 3. These are great to read when my mojo starts playing up, and I'm now past the point we've reached in the TV series, which is interesting. For those of you who have read - I'm not sure how far they're going to take Negan in the TV show! 

There's a bit of the year left, but for now, I think my favourite reads of the year (excluding re-reads) were:

A Robot in the Garden by Deborah Install

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neil

Starborn by Lucy Hounsom

Temeraire by Naomi Novik

The Territory by Sarah Govett

Darkmere by Helen Maslin

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich

The Box of Demons by Daniel Whelan

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill

Shattered Sea Series by Joe Abercrombie (audio)

Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

I've also read The Walking Dead Compendiums 1 and 2, and am half way through 3. These are great to read when my mojo starts playing up, and I'm now past the point we've reached in the TV series, which is interesting. For those of you who have read - I'm not sure how far they're going to take Negan in the TV show! 

I finally started reading the comics recently, but I've only read the first few. I'm not sure if I want to read past where the show is at, even though I know there are some differences between them. I've heard rumblings about Negan and how bad he is. :lurker:  I love Jeffrey Dean Morgan and can't wait to see him on the show next year! TWD is probably my favourite show in TV at the moment. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Walking Dead finally pushed me to find out more about other graphic novels - details in this thread: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13847-discovering-graphic-novels/. I would say at the moment that my outstanding favourite are The Sandman books, I've completely fallen in love with them!

At night I'm listening to The Kraken Wakes, one of the Wyndham books I hadn't read. I love the style and the story, and it should be finished by the end of the year. 

Back to my comics.... :)