Michelle

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Robot in the Garden by Deborah Install

Set in a near future, where androids are used for various tasks, Ben wakes one day to find a robot in his garden. Compared with the human-like androids, this is an old fashioned, broken robot, and Ben has no idea where it’s come from – and his wife Amy wants him to take it to the tip.

Instead, Ben finds himself intrigued by this little robot, who calls himself Tang, and when Amy leaves him, he decides to track down his maker, to try to fix the broken cylinder inside him.

It’s impossible not to like Tang, with his childlike charm and innocence, and I completely fell in love with him. Yet there’s so much more to this book, as Tang is the not the only one who needs to be mended.

I don’t want to talk too much about the journey taken, and the unfolding story, but I will say that this is a book with both heart and humour. It’s hard to believe that such a book can be a début for the author, and I will be advising everyone to read it when it’s published in April 2015. #JoinTheTangGang

Thanks Chrissy - hope your mojo stays close this year.

I'm in the mood for classic SF at the moment, so even though I've read Rendezvous With Rama twice before, I'm now listening to it as an audiobook. :)

I hope you enjoy this! I've got the omnibus on my shelf. My boyfriend's brother recommended it to both of us, he quite enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a decent start, I'm stalling - I have so many books which look great, but I just can't get enthusiastic about! It's frustrating.. I don't know if there are too many, I'm thinking about which need reviewing, or if it's just me!

Audio-wise, I did enjoy Rendezvous With Rama, and this time I really noticed the different as I moved to Rama II. There is so much more around the characters, and it took about 15 chapters for them just to get to the ship! I've moved on to The Garden of Rama.. I'm not so keen on the start, but I know I won't be happy until I've listened to all four!

Book-wise, after many false starts, I've today started The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne. It's come from amazon vine, and it really called to me. I'm determined to finish it! :)

The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne

I am Kirstie

I am Lydia

I am confidant and loud

I am thoughtful and quiet

I lived

I died

Or did I?

When I first put down this gripping book, I still felt there was *something* missing, but I couldn't put my finger on what. However, after thinking about it for a few days, and discussing it with a few people, that feeling has gone. It's a clever story, well told, and will stay with me for a while.

The basic premise behind this book is that one of Sarah's twin daughters died in a accident, and for a year they grieve the loss of Lydia, and try to keep their marriage going. Due to many problems, including money, they move to an old house on a Scottish island, which has been left to Sarah's husband.

As they try to settle in to their new life, Kirstie starts insisting that she is in fact Lydia, and it was Kristie who died. From there on the book throws up many twists, turns, and questions, including whether it is possible to confuse identical twins, whether the daughter is telling the truth, or simply dealing with the loss of her sister, and finally whether Sarah herself is coping with her own grief.

This is all set against a harsh, stormy environment, and it's a dark, unsettling book. Once picked up, it's very hard to put down until you get to the final page. Highly recommended for those who enjoy psychological thrillers with an unsettling touch.