Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

It's a re-read for me, but I may as well be reading it for the first time, because I don't remember much of it. :giggle2:

That happens to me far too often. I'll rave about a book I've read six months later but when I'm asked why I liked it or what the plot is I'm like 'I have no idea! I just know I loved it!' :P

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read The Phantom Tollbooth a couple of times, and I've bought a lovely annotated hardback edition, which I shall have to read soon. :)

I can't remember if we already discussed this, but when I get to the book, will you join me? :) 

I didn't do any reading yesterday :( I miss Landline

I'm onto the last 100 pages of Tommyknockers. I didn't realise the first time i read it how many references to his other stories there are in it. So far i've noticed The Shining, It, Misery & Stephen King himself.

That's pretty cool!

I'm slowly making progress with The Humans, I'm loving the story and the humour :).

I can't remember if we already discussed this, but when I get to the book, will you join me? :)

I could probably (easily) be persuaded. :D All this talk of the book has got me itching to read it again. :)

That happens to me far too often. I'll rave about a book I've read six months later but when I'm asked why I liked it or what the plot is I'm like 'I have no idea! I just know I loved it!' :P

I get so embarrassed when that happens. It's hard to rave about a book when you can't even remember why you liked it. :D Glad it's not just me!

Unfortunately the only reading I've done today is a dull thesis for work. I had to pull an all-nighter to get it done in time, probably because I've been spending so much time on the forum when I should have been working.  :blush2:

Read 35% of The Mangle Street Murders - really enjoying it too. :smile:

Library loan of Alan Weisman's Countdown: our last, best hope for a future on earth? - a very complex and sensitive subject (especially when referring to population growth), but a very interesting book so far.  

I'm in one of those read several books at once phases. I'm a little shy of halfway through The Shadow of the Wind that I've been working on; I started The Giver last night, and am a quarter of the way through; I'm also eyeing The Remains of the Day. Fickle, fickle!

:giggle2: ....ONLY THREE?....*pshaw*   :smile: Ohh, The Shadow of the Wind is great, but at some times a bit overly long winded, I found. Go for The Remains of the Day, it's wonderful!! Some people find this one boring and tiresome, but it's one of my favourites. Happy reading being fickle  :smile: .

:giggle2: ....ONLY THREE?....*pshaw* :smile: Ohh, The Shadow of the Wind is great, but at some times a bit overly long winded, I found. Go for The Remains of the Day, it's wonderful!! Some people find this one boring and tiresome, but it's one of my favourites. Happy reading being fickle :smile: .

"Long winded," snicker, snicker. It's good to hear that you like The Remains of the Day. I've had it on my shelf for a year now.

Edited by dtrpath27

I just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry. It was heartbreaking to imagine the world described. The book was not at all what I expected, but definitely one I would recommend. It was quite thought-provoking.

I think Athena and I are reading this together this year.  Now I can't wait!

I am slowly getting my motivation back, but still reading Lee Child's The Affair.  I'm not turning to it often, but I am enjoying what I read when I do read.

I'm about halfway through She's Come Undone. So much I'd forgotten about, like

Dolores' mum dying in the accident at the tollbooth, and that Dolores spent 7 years in a mental hospital.

Those bits completely passed me by. :blush2:  I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more this time around, maybe because I'm a bit older.

I'm about halfway through She's Come Undone. So much I'd forgotten about, like

Dolores' mum dying in the accident at the tollbooth, and that Dolores spent 7 years in a mental hospital.

Those bits completely passed me by. :blush2:  I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more this time around, maybe because I'm a bit older.

It was absolutely

heartbreaking to read about Dolores's Mom dying. :(:no: It was so upsetting. They would've figured things out! Where are you with the mental hospital? How far have you read? 

So happy to hear you're enjoying it and even more than the last time!! :smile2: 

I've just started with Part Three, which opens with Dolores saying that she has spent

seven years in the mental hospital. Part Two ended with Dolores swimming alongside the dead beached whale. Completely agree with you about Dolores' mum dying

....you can see how all these events have affected Dolores, and some parts are very hard to read.

I think it's quite an underrated book. Maybe it's just a classic to me and no one else. This is the point where I start getting scared about talking up the book so much. I'd hate to overhype it and have you all be disappointed! But thanks to Frankie and Dtr for backing me up. :smile:

Most adults I know rate it very highly and I'd agree that it certainly is a 'classic'. It's got an 88% 5 star rating on Amazon, which shows you are definitely not alone! However, I have to admit that I am not amongst these ranks of fans, as for me it felt very dated, especially with its rather heavy handed (IMO!) message. I pulled it off the class library shelves after several children made similar comments (even if they didn't use quite the same language!).

Edited by willoyd

I've just started with Part Three, which opens with Dolores saying that she has spent

seven years in the mental hospital. Part Two ended with Dolores swimming alongside the dead beached whale. Completely agree with you about Dolores' mum dying

....you can see how all these events have affected Dolores, and some parts are very hard to read.

Ah, you've just started it. Oh you still have such long ways to go, I'm jealous :D 

I managed to read maybe 50 pages of Landline last night in bed. I'm not liking it as much as Fangirl and Attachments

Tim, I was watching an episode of The OC the other day and there was a guest appearance by Paris Hilton:

Paris: I’ve been up all night working on my thesis. “Magical Realism in American Literature”. Are you familiar with the works of Thomas Pynchon?
Seth: I’ve only read The Crying of Lot 49.
Paris: Gravity’s Rainbow is his masterpiece!

Hope I haven't put you off your book.  :P   :giggle2:

Most adults I know rate it very highly and I'd agree that it certainly is a 'classic'. It's got an 88% 5 star rating on Amazon, which shows you are definitely not alone! However, I have to admit that I am not amongst these ranks of fans, as for me it felt very dated, especially with its rather heavy handed (IMO!) message. I pulled it off the class library shelves after several children made similar comments (even if they didn't use quite the same language!).

Aw, that's a shame. I don't remember thinking it seemed at all dated—certainly no more than any other YA book I've read.

I read a bit more of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie today. I'll try to get in a bit more reading before bedtime. It's really good—just need to find more time to read! I have a four and a half hour train trip coming up in a few day. I can't wait...I'm planning to get a lot of reading done!

I just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry. It was heartbreaking to imagine the world described. The book was not at all what I expected, but definitely one I would recommend. It was quite thought-provoking.

I read The Giver last year. I also recommend it. The Giver is one of those books that make the "must read" in our lifetime list. The book, as you say, was definitely very thought provoking. It kinda reminds me of the saying......be careful of what you wish for.

I read a bit more of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie today. I'll try to get in a bit more reading before bedtime. It's really good—just need to find more time to read! I have a four and a half hour train trip coming up in a few day. I can't wait...I'm planning to get a lot of reading done!

I'm so glad you're enjoying it. It'll be the perfect length for the train ride. Have a safe trip!

I finished A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron last night, the sequel to A Dog's Purpose, it was good but very much a rehash of the first book, just different dogs and people, so a little disappointing. Now starting Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier which has been on my shelf for far too long. :)