Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

Briefly, the cloud exists outside of your computer (on the Internet). You can save files there and share them with others if you want. If your computer crashes, you can still access anything in the cloud from any other computer (or tablet, smart phone etc.) Given your recent computer troubles, I would strongly recommend that you look into signing up for something like Dropbox. It gives you a few gigs of free storage. You can store your most important files there and work on them there.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you enjoy this one Alexi...it can be a very thought provoking read.

I've just finished it and I loved it! I started wondering who my five would be and where I would choose to wait :) Definitely one to recommend.

Not sure what to start next. I'm back from my holidays tomorrow so can start my reading log - I'm posting on my iPad at the moment which isn't conducive to TBR lists etc!

I haven't done any reading today, but I've spent hours filling in missing data for my catalogued books in Book Collector. I've been going through my past book orders from the Book Depository (there are rather a lot of them  :blush2:) and entering in the price/date ordered information. Sometimes it's exhausting being so pedantic!

I agree, it can be quite exhausting! But also great to complete the information :)

Must. Complete. All. Data.

I fully sympathise with this!

That must be so frustrating. :( I have the data stored in my computer, but I can upload it to a cloud as well, so I can't lose it. But this reminds me, it's been a while since I did a sync between the software and the cloud and all of my devices, so I'd better do it now. I don't want to risk losing my hard work! Thanks for the reminder. :)

That's a good idea. I often sync files with the cloud too, particularly ones to do with my books :giggle2:. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who does this :).

Actually I've been needing to get to you re: the book but I've just woken up and gotten my breakfast in the system and quickly doing a few threads before. But hey, since you're here now! :D The mystery of the flying foot? 

Ah, thanks, but it doesn't ring any bells. :giggle2:  I think I need to read the book again; I last read it probably 15 years ago. Dolores doesn't have the easiest time with things, does she? But she's a character that you really care for, because of what goes on in her life.

I've finished Stephen King's Misery, going to have to watch the film now!!

I'm planning on reading Misery again this year. Have you not seen the film before? You are in for a treat. Kathy Bates is brilliant. :yes:

Ah, thanks, but it doesn't ring any bells. :giggle2:  I think I need to read the book again; I last read it probably 15 years ago. Dolores doesn't have the easiest time with things, does she? But she's a character that you really care for, because of what goes on in her life.

Well I can't blame you, it was 15 years ago! One can't remember every little detail :) I was pretty surprised to learn that the book was released in 1992. I didn't know it's such an old book. And you know, when I first saw the Finnish cover at the library, it was so familiar. I've seen the book before, but I always thought it was a weird book because the cover is so silly and the title's silly, too :D I never would've borrowed it and read it if it weren't for the WL thread on here :D

Yeah, I'm really rooting for Dolores.

She has her mean streak but I have to remember that she's just a kid and she's having one helluva childhood. (I mean, she was being mean even before those... events, but still, her family life wasn't very nurturing to begin with, was it.)

Only about 120 pages left to go of The White Lioness by Henning Mankell. I was hoping to finish it last night but work got in the way. Depending on how exciting the NFL playoffs are I may finish it tonight.

I'm recording both to watch tomorrow (fly home in the morning) so am anticipating some good book progress made tonight! :D

I've started The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald.

If I don't finish The Alchemist by tomorrow, I am going drop it and start World without End by Ken Follett on Monday.

I hope you enjoy World Without End :). It's a shame The Alchemist isn't interesting you that much :(

I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and am about to start Order of the Phoenix :smile2:

You're making good progress! Order of the Phoenix is I think the longest one, though I thought it was pretty good and it didn't take me that long to read it. What did you think of book 4? (if you've already posted about it in your thread, don't worry about replying here, I'll just read it in your thread, I haven't been to the book blogs yet) (EDIT: I've read it now, and have replied there)

Next up for me..... Tommyknockers_zps7fd6ab37.jpg

I haven't yet read this one, one of my old friends once recommended this to me so I hope you enjoy it :).

I'm currently reading Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George's Secret Key to the Universe, which is quite interesting and has nice illustrations in it too. I'm only on page 51 though so not that far yet. I'll spend most of today probably writing reviews for the books I finished during the read-a-thon, so I don't expect to be doing a lot of reading today. I need to hand in this book and six other ones to the library this Saturday though, so I hope to get through at least most of them this week!

Edited by Athena

I hope you enjoy World Without End :). It's a shame The Alchemist isn't interesting you that much :(

I'm currently reading Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George's Secret Key to the Universe, which is quite interesting and has nice illustrations in it too. I'm only on page 51 though so not that far yet.

I think it is more me versus The Alchemist, every time I read it, I don't mind what I am reading, but it is the picking it up that is hard.  I don't know why, but I don't think it is the book.

This Stephen Hawking book for kids is so cool!  I might have to order it for P.

I think it is more me versus The Alchemist, every time I read it, I don't mind what I am reading, but it is the picking it up that is hard.  I don't know why, but I don't think it is the book.

There is something about Coelho's writing, that most times seems quite good at the beginning, but before long I always want to throw the book out of the window, they are so irritating :motz:  :banghead: . And The Alchemist was the best of his books that I have finished, (but that is a Curate's Egg thing....  :D .  ) 

Bought the first ebook of the year today - Strange Weather in Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami from Kindle deals, and I vaguely remember reading the book sample before, so I'll have a go at this one.    

Edited by Marie H

There is something about Coelho's writing, that most times seems quite good at the beginning, but before long I always want to throw the book out of the window, they are so irritating :motz:  :banghead: . And The Alchemist was the best of his books that I have finished, (but that is a Curate's Egg thing....  :D .  ) 

If both you and Kylie don't like it, then maybe I shouldn't feel so bad if I abandon it :P I was going to come back to it.  Sometime.  :giggle2:

If both you and Kylie don't like it, then maybe I shouldn't feel so bad if I abandon it :P I was going to come back to it.  Sometime.  :giggle2:

I hated the book, too, but when you first mentioned you started it, I didn't want to say I was not a fan and discourage you, in case you'd be one of those who like the book  :giggle2: It's actually one of my 'most overrated novels in the world'. Probably the most overrated. 

Edited by frankie

I hated the book, too, but when you first mentioned you started it, I didn't want to say I was not a fan and discourage you, in case you'd be one of those who like the book  :giggle2: It's actually one of my 'most overrated novels in the world'. Probably the most overrated. 

Ok, then I won't return... but the curiosity might get to me lol  It's sort of like The Celestine Prophesy, I have yet to get to that one.  I even have a preconceived notion that it is overrated!  It's just sort of controversial and I am curious.

Started a 40 page Hugh Howey, Sand Part 1: The Belt of the Buried Gods.  Quite good.  It is part of a collection so I am unsure of how far along I am, but I am guessing about 40%.  I need to a) get some reading done this year and b) feel like I accomplished something!

Yeah, I'm really rooting for Dolores.

She has her mean streak but I have to remember that she's just a kid and she's having one helluva childhood. (I mean, she was being mean even before those... events, but still, her family life wasn't very nurturing to begin with, was it.)

I really need to read it because

I don't remember her mean streak. :blush2:  The main thing I remember about her, is a particularly traumatic thing that happened in her childhood.

I might re-read it once I finish my current book, because I'm very curious about what I will think about it now.

Next up for me....."The Tommyknockers"

I read this last year (or might have been the year before) and it was written when King was in his addiction phase. The premise is interesting, and it starts great, but the middle section is so sooo bloated. I'll be interested to see what you think about it.

Ok, then I won't return... but the curiosity might get to me lol  It's sort of like The Celestine Prophesy, I have yet to get to that one.  I even have a preconceived notion that it is overrated!  It's just sort of controversial and I am curious.

Curiosity is a devious thing :D But hey, sometimes it gets the best of us :D 

I don't remember her mean streak. :blush2:  The main thing I remember about her, is a particularly traumatic thing that happened in her childhood.

I might re-read it once I finish my current book, because I'm very curious about what I will think about it now.

I guess it's relative as to what one would perceive as a mean streak.

But she cussed and called people names and did some nasty things. Nothing really, really bad, but I did think a few times that she's nasty. Or then I've forgotten what it was like to be a kid myself :D But like I said, her family wasn't very nurturing so it shouldn't be all that surprising that she acted out even before the stuff that happened to her later on. 

I know the traumatic thing you're talking about, of course. But you didn't mention another one... And I wonder if you've forgotten about that! :o 

I'm off to bed now, with She's Come Undone. I probably won't be able to finish it by tonight. 

I read this last year (or might have been the year before) and it was written when King was in his addiction phase. The premise is interesting, and it starts great, but the middle section is so sooo bloated. I'll be interested to see what you think about it.

I have read it before, i agree with you about it.

Obviously I'm not as nice as you, because I just jumped right in to tell Anna how much I hated it! :D

I read The Celestine Prophecy (and the books that followed) many years ago, when I was going through my 'new age' phase. I really liked it at the time, although I suspect my opinion would change somewhat if I ever re-read it. I'm much more cynical than I used to be!

I've read a few pages of Ripley Under Ground so far today, and hope to read more. It's already off to a good start. I love Tom Ripley—he is such an awful person! :D

I'm still reading Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George 1: George's Secret Key to the Universe. I haven't done much reading yesterday, spending most of my time writing reviews and such. Maybe I'll be able to read a bit more today, we'll see. The book is quite enjoyable :).