Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

I've ploughed through the third Harry Potter book and am onto the fourth - and am LOVING it so far. I do hate the Tri-Wizard tournament in the movie though, so we'll see what happens when I get that far.

Think I might start reading something else on the side too, so I don't totally overload my brain with Potter.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've ploughed through the third Harry Potter book and am onto the fourth - and am LOVING it so far. I do hate the Tri-Wizard tournament in the movie though, so we'll see what happens when I get that far.

Think I might start reading something else on the side too, so I don't totally overload my brain with Potter.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the books :)! That might be a good idea, to start something else too. I personally don't like the fourth book and movie as much as the other books and movies. I do hope you'll get to read all seven books, because I thought the last ones (as well as the first few) were very, very good.

I've finally finished Game of Thrones - what a journey that has been :D I've immediately downloaded the second in the series but will wait a while before starting that one I think!

Well done!

It's the read-a-thon so I'm reading some short books :).

I think the Tri-Wizard tournament is done way better in the book than in the movie. I've always been pretty accommodating of the changes made in the movies, but probably my biggest problem out of all 7 books/8 movies is the way the Tri-Wizard tournament was handled. The dragon task went way too long for my liking, and the maze was just glossed over in the movie, but it was much more involved in the book. The fourth book is possibly my favourite of the series. So glad you're enjoying the series more this time 'round. :)

I finished reading Quentin Blake's A Christmas Carol today (a bit behind schedule!), and I've started reading Patricia Highsmith's Ripley Under Ground.

That sounds interesting. I would love to hear how you like it! :D

It'll take me a few days as a busy term is about to start.  I'm about 100 pages in so far, and it's excellent: highly readable, yet rigorous on the history - and well balanced, fully recognising the multinational involvement.  I like the fact that it's split into short chapters, providing neat reading breaks not too far apart!

Great book - enjoy!

Thanks! I really did enjoy it  :smile:

I've finally finished Game of Thrones - what a journey that has been :D I've immediately downloaded the second in the series but will wait a while before starting that one I think!

Now starting The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

Game of Thrones is great. The series is so addicting, but so time consuming considering its like 4000 pages  :giggle2:

It'll take me a few days as a busy term is about to start.  I'm about 100 pages in so far, and it's excellent: highly readable, yet rigorous on the history - and well balanced, fully recognising the multinational involvement.  I like the fact that it's split into short chapters, providing neat reading breaks not too far apart!

Highly readable and rigorous on the history. Sounds perfect to me!  :D

I have finished Water for Elephants and I'm now reading The Giver I'm on a solid 1 book a day quip for 2015. I doubt this pace will last :lol:

Edited by BSchultz19

I've finished my first book of the year - Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Very good indeed.

I'm going for a non-fiction next, one I've had on my shelf for a little while: The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury.

I'm about 100 pages into Long Lankin so far, and the poem on the first two pages almost made me stop reading, I thought it was so chilling!!! Still, it is aimed at children (maybe YA? not sure) so I'm going to persevere, but there have already been a couple of rather creepy passages, and I'm not going to read it when I'm on my own! :D  :hide: 

I'm about 100 pages into Long Lankin so far, and the poem on the first two pages almost made me stop reading, I thought it was so chilling!!! Still, it is aimed at children (maybe YA? not sure) so I'm going to persevere, but there have already been a couple of rather creepy passages, and I'm not going to read it when I'm on my own! :D  :hide: 

Just looked this up because you intrigued me, and it has some lukewarm reviews but a lot of people also claim its genuinely, and uniquely, creepy, so I think I'm going to check it out :D

Happy New Year Kylie :)

I am currently reading 'This House is Haunted' by John Boyne, its ok and it does remind me of 'The Turn of the Screw' but I do enjoy a good ghost story. :)

Edited by Weave

I think the Tri-Wizard tournament is done way better in the book than in the movie. I've always been pretty accommodating of the changes made in the movies, but probably my biggest problem out of all 7 books/8 movies is the way the Tri-Wizard tournament was handled. The dragon task went way too long for my liking, and the maze was just glossed over in the movie, but it was much more involved in the book. The fourth book is possibly my favourite of the series. So glad you're enjoying the series more this time 'round. :)

That's good to hear, I'm getting the impression from a few people that book four is much better than its movie counterpart.

Just looked this up because you intrigued me, and it has some lukewarm reviews but a lot of people also claim its genuinely, and uniquely, creepy, so I think I'm going to check it out :D

The thing to bear in mind is that I'm a scaredy cat who can't cope with horror films or stories anyway, so even if I'm terrified, you probably won't be! :lol:  Still, if you do read it, I'll be interested to compare notes. :)

The thing to bear in mind is that I'm a scaredy cat who can't cope with horror films or stories anyway, so even if I'm terrified, you probably won't be! :lol:  Still, if you do read it, I'll be interested to compare notes. :)

Hehe I'm not very good with horror films, but horror stories don't usually bother me at all. We'll see anyway, I'll probably check it out soon enough!

I agree. The scenes from the Tri-Wizard are so much more intense and better written in the books, especially the maze. I remember my heart beating like crazy while reading that part of the book, but when I saw it in the movie I was "meh". 

Books are always better :lol:

I agree. The scenes from the Tri-Wizard are so much more intense and better written in the books, especially the maze. I remember my heart beating like crazy while reading that part of the book, but when I saw it in the movie I was "meh". 

Books are always better :lol:

I think the third movie is much better than the third book :P But we'll see! The dragon task was a non-event in the book, compared to the film. Still relatively enjoying the book, though it was better before the tournament stuff started.

I'm currently reading Cruel Summer by James Dawson, which was, I think, recommended by someone on here, maybe Michelle? I'm only 70 pages in and it's very readable but there's not a lot happening at the moment despite vague suggestion that it will become more sinister..

Oh goody! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. :smile:

Actually I've been needing to get to you re: the book but I've just woken up and gotten my breakfast in the system and quickly doing a few threads before. But hey, since you're here now! :D The mystery of the flying foot?

Well! It was solved last night, already on page 60 or something. Remember when Dolores's Mom went to 're-group' at a hospital for a longer period of time? She made some paintings and sent one of them to Dolores. It was a sky with clouds, and from between the clouds stuck a foot, with a high heel and bird wings tattooed on the thigh (Petey the parrot). Dolores didn't much appreciate it at first, she thought it was whack, but she came to admire it in the end :smile2: It was her Mom's favorite of the ones she made :) And I can't believe she's already gone. She freaking died in the accident after she'd had a fight with Dolores about her not going to college. I feel so bad for Dolores! She's not had it easy :no: 

Edited by frankie

I haven't done any reading today, but I've spent hours filling in missing data for my catalogued books in Book Collector. I've been going through my past book orders from the Book Depository (there are rather a lot of them  :blush2:) and entering in the price/date ordered information. Sometimes it's exhausting being so pedantic!

Yes! I love seeing all of the fields slowly filling up! It's very satisfying. :)

Here's an example of what I mean. See all of the missing fields? And obviously the 0 page numbers are incorrect.

post-3835-0-55310200-1420368020_thumb.png

Must. Complete. All. Data.

Yes! I love seeing all of the fields slowly filling up! It's very satisfying. :)

Here's an example of what I mean. See all of the missing fields? And obviously the 0 page numbers are incorrect.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.33.41 pm copy.png

Must. Complete. All. Data.

I definitely see what you mean :cool: Besides! Won't you be glad when it's done? Then you'll know everything about your books! When my computer crashed, I lost my list of all the books I owned. I'd marked the date of purchase, the price, and possibly even where I got the book from. I really miss that list! So.... If your computer ever crashes (knocking on all wooden surfaces in the apartment!!), you'll have it all on a website! 

That must be so frustrating. :( I have the data stored in my computer, but I can upload it to a cloud as well, so I can't lose it. But this reminds me, it's been a while since I did a sync between the software and the cloud and all of my devices, so I'd better do it now. I don't want to risk losing my hard work! Thanks for the reminder. :)

That must be so frustrating. :( I have the data stored in my computer, but I can upload it to a cloud as well, so I can't lose it. But this reminds me, it's been a while since I did a sync between the software and the cloud and all of my devices, so I'd better do it now. I don't want to risk losing my hard work! Thanks for the reminder. :)

That's the second time someone's mentioned 'cloud'. I need to look it up!!!