Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started The Giver by Lois Lowry after so many rave reviews. I can see why it got so many positive comments; it's a great read so far. I'm just under half way through it. It's not a long book so I may be finished tonight. :readingtwo:

That's on my TBR, glad to see another positive response to it. Might get to it soonish, maybe next month.

I finished Attachments by Rainbow Rowell and Where The Trains Turn by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen. Reviews for both in my thread. That's 10 books down in January.... not sure what to pick up next. Maybe I should just focus on poor Potter, he's being awfully neglected by me lately.

I loved Jamaica Inn! I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

I hope the jar is kind to you - what did it choose?!

I have revealed all on my book blog Janet.. I'm not impressed with its choice but it increases the odds of something I'm more looking forward to for next time I suppose! :)

I've finished The Giver. Enjoyed it, but a bit confused by the ending. I think I will have to google it.

Next up is The Mangle Street Murders by M R C Kasasian.

Hope you like it bobbs .. I'm finding it really good so far :)  

I'm only like halfway through The Good Earth. I'm having such trouble finding time to read for pleasure  :blush2:

Hopefully things will slow down and I will get into the routine of school again and I'll have more time to read. So far I've been on the go a lot and struggling just to finish the work I have to finish. 

I'm only like halfway through The Good Earth. I'm having such trouble finding time to read for pleasure  :blush2:

Hopefully things will slow down and I will get into the routine of school again and I'll have more time to read. So far I've been on the go a lot and struggling just to finish the work I have to finish. 

I am so very sorry about this because I want you to like it :P

Finished Arthur C. Clarke's The City and the Stars today, I liked it! The beginning was a bit how I not like my sci fi books hehe, too abstract because of all the use of far future technology in daily life, but it got better or I got used to it. ;) Was actually my second attempt at this book, even though it's a short one last time I didn't get through it. I liked how it showed the very far future of mankind, millions of years from now. I didn't like it being quite flat in characters.. didn't get to care for them and they seemed very low in emotion. Haven't given book reviews in a while so have to get used to talking about them in english again. ;)

The City and the Stars is probably my favourite Arthur C Clarke book, and rather underrated, I think. I understand what you mean about the flat characters though; characterisation certainly wasn't Clarke's strong point! I can usually forgive him for it though because I love the ideas in his stories. :)

I've been helping my Mum move house for the past few days, so I haven't had much time to read. My book activity has mostly consisted of unpacking all of Mum's books and setting up her library. :) I found that she had two copies of John Le Carre's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (one of which I gave her!), so Mum gave me the extra copy (I've never actually read it). I've also borrowed a book from her by one of my favourite Australian comedians, Judith Lucy, called Drink, Smoke, Pass Out.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

The Mangle Street Murders is simply wizard!!   ;)  :D 

When I saw this comment earlier, I wondered about the italics and the emoticons, but couldn't figure it out. However, last night I continued reading the MT books and then something was called 'simply wizard!' and it immediately made me think of this comment of yours :lol::cool: Simply wizard!!!!

I've been helping my Mum move house for the past few days, so I haven't had much time to read. My book activity has mostly consisted of unpacking all of Mum's books and setting up her library. :) I found that she had two copies of John Le Carre's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (one of which I gave her!), so Mum gave me the extra copy (I've never actually read it). I've also borrowed a book from her by one of my favourite Australian comedians, Judith Lucy, called Drink, Smoke, Pass Out.

I bet you've been having a blast with her books!! :smile2: Any chance of getting pics? (Maybe in a PM if not on the general forum?) 

I finished The First Term at Malory Towers last night in bed and started the sequel :) 

Next up is The Mangle Street Murders by M R C Kasasian.

Hope you enjoy it, bobbly!   :smile:

I've got about four chapters left to go in Trafalgar: the Men, the Battle, the Storm.  Mind you, they're long chapters, and I find non-fiction a bit of a slog, so it might take me a while to finish . . . 

When I saw this comment earlier, I wondered about the italics and the emoticons, but couldn't figure it out. However, last night I continued reading the MT books and then something was called 'simply wizard!' and it immediately made me think of this comment of yours :lol::cool: Simply wizard!!!!

I finished The First Term at Malory Towers last night in bed and started the sequel :)

:giggle2: . Another word hardly used these days is having pluck, or being plucky, (as being brave).  :D

I finished The First Term at Malory Towers too.

Edited by Marie H

Just finished The Second Form at Malory Towers and eagerly awaiting the next installment which should be plopping through my letterbox soon. Also finished A Strange Eventful History by Michael Holroyd which I'm glad about as it was beginning to melt my head  :blush2:

Going to pick from the jar again but have also decided to make a start on The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide because that's guaranteed pleasure  :D 

:giggle2: . Another word hardly used these days is having pluck, or being plucky, (as being brave).  :D

I finished The First Term at Malory Towers too.

Yes I noticed the word pluck being used, and I found it a bit odd but wonderful, only having known the phrase 'pluck up one's courage' and never having heard the word pluck to be used as a noun :D The things one learns!!

Off to bed soon, to read The Second Term at Malory Towers :smile2: 

On to Patrick O'Brian's 12th 'Aubrey/Maturin' novel, The Letter of Marque.  It's only been a few days since I finished the previous one and yet it feels like coming home to long lost friends :lol:  :blush2:

Did my supermarket shop at Sainsbury's today and suddenly remembered... there was a 50 bonus point when you bought  'Before you die' ~ Samantha Hayes book...trotted of to the book section and there they were on the shelf...only about 1/2 dozen left, so hopefully they are selling well. Adding it to my TBR pile. Have like all her other books so hopefully this one will be another good read.