Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you! I'm really liking it so far. It's a much different setting than most of the books I read, but that adds some nice change and the characters are great. 

All 11 of her novels are amazing, I really like Pearl S Buck a lot!  I can't decide who is my favorite author Buck or Hemingway :)

I just started Dracula in addition to The War of the Worlds on audio as Immersion Reading.  The Dracula version is performed by Tim Curry as Van Helsing, Simon Vance as Jonathan Harker and Alan Cumming as Narrator.  So far, I am still in a slump, but making some steady progress- if little at a time.  :(

Edited by Anna Begins

All 11 of her novels are amazing, I really like Pearl S Buck a lot!  I can't decide who is my favorite author Buck or Hemingway :)

I just started Dracula in addition to The War of the Worlds on audio as Immersion Reading The Dracula version is performed by Tim Curry as Van Helsing, Simon Vance as Jonathan Harker and Alan Cumming as Narrator.  So far, I am still in a slump, but making some steady progress- if little at a time.  :(

I've seen you and a couple others post about this. What exactly is immersion reading. I am a young padawan and know nothing  :hide:

Edited by BSchultz19

I haven't read much in the last couple of days, which I think is probably a good thing really. If I tried to do it every day I'd wear myself out. I'm gradually plodding on with the second last Potter book, and taking my time thinking about what I actually want to read next.

I'm still reading First Term at Malory Towers, but expect to finish it today.  Not sure whether to read my Jar of Destiny book next, or whether to read one of the books Kay gave me yesterday!  Decisions, decisions …. :dunno:

How about you make a Jar of Decisions, and put both of those options in there and pick one! :D 

How exciting Diane, shame it wasn't a great read, probably why it took so long? What's next? :)

Reading Cauldstane and started last night when I went to bed.....'Secrets she left behind'...follow of from Before the Storm....read about 50 pages before I turned out the light... ;)

Reading Cauldstane and started last night when I went to bed.....'Secrets she left behind'...follow of from Before the Storm....read about 50 pages before I turned out the light... ;)

Hope you enjoy them both Diane, two books at one go, I can't do that as I lose track of them both!

m halfway through Jamaica Inn and thoroughly enjoying it. Very atmospheric, just like Rebecca.. Which other books by DDM can anyone recommend?

Well I had already started Cauldstane while trundling through 'Lakes' and needed something else, but was desperate to start the follow on from 'Before...' Couldn't add Cauldstane to Goodreads as there is only the kindle ones listed and didn't want to appear as if I wasn't reading anything... :D

Finished Arthur C. Clarke's The City and the Stars today, I liked it! The beginning was a bit how I not like my sci fi books hehe, too abstract because of all the use of far future technology in daily life, but it got better or I got used to it. ;) Was actually my second attempt at this book, even though it's a short one last time I didn't get through it. I liked how it showed the very far future of mankind, millions of years from now. I didn't like it being quite flat in characters.. didn't get to care for them and they seemed very low in emotion. Haven't given book reviews in a while so have to get used to talking about them in english again. ;)

All in all, I liked.

Two other books are on my "currently reading" list as well though I am pretty sure I won't finish one of them. Spider Light by Sarah Rayne, it's not scary, I don't care about the characters and I don't really care what happens next. So blah I think it's one of the few books that I'll abandon halfway.

The other is Earth Star by Janet Edwards. Loved the first book, very simplistic yet entertaining YA. This second book is less fun, as usual. I'll probably continue with that one though.

Already?! Wow! I must come in your log for a nice little Spanish inquisition today! :D

I haven't reviewed it yet, as I'm already behind. Great way to start the year. :P  I definitely enjoyed it more this time around, and I really liked Dolores (more as an adult than when she was a child). And wasn't

Dante a complete a-hole!! I couldn't believe how badly he treated her. Glad she saw the light and kicked him to the kerb!

Read Where The Trains Turn this evening, as it's only short and I've been trying to decide on my next non-Potter read.

It was definitely very good, but very strange and I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet.

Think next I might check out Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, as I've seen her name floating around a lot and saw one or two people mention that they thought Attachments is her best book. I love the premise, too - I'm hoping it'll be a fairly light read :)

I am currently reading 'The Asylum' by John Harwood.  I bought 'Geek Love' by Katherine Dunn and 'Bellman & Black' by Diane Setterfield. :)

I'm now 'juggling' with 3 books at the moment :readingtwo:   - the first 3 of Malory Towers, The Rosie Project (this one is so good!) and The Mangle Street Murders (and the plot thickened, with dredging the canal! :o

I'm now 'juggling' with 3 books at the moment :readingtwo:   - the first 3 of Malory Towers, The Rosie Project (this one is so good!) and The Mangle Street Murders (and the plot thickened, with dredging the canal! :o

Co-incidentally .. I am at Malory Towers and have also downloaded The Mangle Street Murders (to listen to) :D I wish my other book was The Rosie Project but alas I've already read it and the jar wouldn't have been that kind anyway :D

Finished listening to The Paying Guests .. pretty good though not fantastic. Halfway through A Strange Eventful History so feel I'm on the home straight even if that home straight does contain 280 pages. It's okay .. bit long winded .. could have been said in half the time but parts of it are gripping.

I have a bit of a mess going for myself. I'm a quarter of the way through The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, a little over halfway through The Shadow of the Wind, and just bought and am four or five chapters into The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. (Apparently, a prerequisite for inclusion on my current reading list is having no fewer than five words in the title.) I need to just settle down and read one thing, but I keep stumbling across great deals on great books.

Marie, I see that you're in the same boat.

Edited by dtrpath27

I haven't reviewed it yet, as I'm already behind. Great way to start the year. :P  I definitely enjoyed it more this time around, and I really liked Dolores (more as an adult than when she was a child). And wasn't

Dante a complete a-hole!! I couldn't believe how badly he treated her. Glad she saw the light and kicked him to the kerb!

:D You'll get there! I'll remind you at suitable intervals if I don't see you posting :giggle2: (I shall not, really, because I don't want to pester you! :blush:) I'm still very happy you enjoyed it so much. It's so much fun to have read a great book and hear someone else has liked it and there's so much to talk about. I agree about your spoiler, with no reservations! It (he) was unbelievable!!  :censored:   

I was going to write more, but I think I shall move the convo to the Wally Lamb thread if you don't mind? 

No book activity for me in the past two days :( I really want to do some reading today!! 

Edited by frankie

I'm into the last 60 pages of Jamaica Inn and am now completely drawn in to the story and desperate to know how poor Mary ends up! In the meantime I have girls to collect from a party, son to take to badminton, dogs to walk and homework and revision to supervise!

Co-incidentally .. I am at Malory Towers and have also downloaded The Mangle Street Murders (to listen to) :D I wish my other book was The Rosie Project but alas I've already read it and the jar wouldn't have been that kind anyway :D

The Mangle Street Murders is simply wizard!!   ;)  :D 

I have a bit of a mess going for myself. I'm a quarter of the way through The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, a little over halfway through The Shadow of the Wind, and just bought and am four or five chapters into The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. (Apparently, a prerequisite for inclusion on my current reading list is having no fewer than five words in the title.) I need to just settle down and read one thing, but I keep stumbling across great deals on great books.

Marie, I see that you're in the same boat.

I loved The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry  :smile: ,  and the fashion of using long and clunky book title is a pain in the  :censored:  . They never trip off the tongue when I'm trying to find these books in the library  :banghead: .

Finished Arthur C. Clarke's The City and the Stars today, I liked it! The beginning was a bit how I not like my sci fi books hehe, too abstract because of all the use of far future technology in daily life, but it got better or I got used to it. ;) Was actually my second attempt at this book, even though it's a short one last time I didn't get through it. I liked how it showed the very far future of mankind, millions of years from now. I didn't like it being quite flat in characters.. didn't get to care for them and they seemed very low in emotion. Haven't given book reviews in a while so have to get used to talking about them in english again. ;)

All in all, I liked.

I'm glad you liked this one. I'd like to read it too some day (it might be on my wishlist). I've only read short stories by Arthur C. Clarke, most of which I really enjoyed, and I have a few full length novels still on my shelves to be read.

Think next I might check out Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, as I've seen her name floating around a lot and saw one or two people mention that they thought Attachments is her best book. I love the premise, too - I'm hoping it'll be a fairly light read :)

If you do, I hope you enjoy it! I thought Attachments was quite a good read (and indeed a bit light and not too complicated). 

I am currently reading 'The Asylum' by John Harwood.  I bought 'Geek Love' by Katherine Dunn and 'Bellman & Black' by Diane Setterfield. :)

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I'm now 'juggling' with 3 books at the moment :readingtwo:   - the first 3 of Malory Towers, The Rosie Project (this one is so good!) and The Mangle Street Murders (and the plot thickened, with dredging the canal! :o )

That's a lot of books! I loved The Rosie Project so I'm really glad you're enjoying it :)!

Also a lot of books! I hope you enjoy them all! I have the first two on my shelves unread, and I quite liked The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry though I didn't love it (I think I rated it 8 / 10). That's funny, with those titles :giggle2:.

I'm currently reading Chrissy Manby - Proper Family 1: A Proper Family Holiday which is quite enjoyable :). I don't know yet if it'll be as brilliant as book 2, that I read last month, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.