Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paris: I’ve been up all night working on my thesis. “Magical Realism in American Literature”. Are you familiar with the works of Thomas Pynchon?

Seth: I’ve only read The Crying of Lot 49.

Paris: Gravity’s Rainbow is his masterpiece!

I miss The OC :wub: 

I finished A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron last night, the sequel to A Dog's Purpose, it was good but very much a rehash of the first book, just different dogs and people, so a little disappointing.

Awww, that's a shame to hear that. I've got both of them on my TBR.

Yesterday I started to read Diane Chamberlain - The Silent Sister (which I pre-ordered last year and arrived a few days ago). I'm enjoying it a lot, so I made more progress yesterday than I thought I would.

Tim, I was watching an episode of The OC the other day and there was a guest appearance by Paris Hilton:

Paris: I’ve been up all night working on my thesis. “Magical Realism in American Literature”. Are you familiar with the works of Thomas Pynchon?

Seth: I’ve only read The Crying of Lot 49.

Paris: Gravity’s Rainbow is his masterpiece!

Hope I haven't put you off your book.  :P   :giggle2:

Haha, that reminds me of when they get the winner of a beauty pagent to try and say something poignant but they haven't a clue :blush2:

Started Gravity's Rainbow, it's rather bizzare yet strangely addictive.

Ha!  I love this '10 Reasons to Read Gravity's Rainbow' review on Amazon (scroll to the top from where the link puts you)  :giggle2:

I'm currently 180 pages into Patrick O'Brian's The Reverse of the Medal.  It's typically brilliant.

Ha!  I love this '10 Reasons to Read Gravity's Rainbow' review on Amazon (scroll to the top from where the link puts you)  

Haha, brilliant. The last line sums it up nicely

"I'm not saying you should read it; that would be cruel. But if, for some inexplicable reason you choose to do so anyway, you won't regret it. Most of it, anyway."

Ha!  I love this '10 Reasons to Read Gravity's Rainbow' review on Amazon (scroll to the top from where the link puts you)  :giggle2:

That's great :giggle2:!

I finished The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain. I really enjoyed it. Now I'm thinking about what to read next, I've got a pile of books on my desk I intend to "get to soon" so I'll have a look and see if any of them seem what I feel like reading.

I've already finished A Robot In The Garden by Deborah Install, which I only got yesterday! Quite a quick read, less than 300 pages. Will write a review up later. :)

That's still pretty good going in one day (and a good recommendation for the book I would think) .. well done :)

Finished Printer's Devil Court by Susan Hill and am just about to start A Strange Eventful History by Michael Holroyd. Still listening to The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters .. not quite the ordinary tale of lodgers that I thought it was going to be .. first it got a bit sexy but she's frightening me with it now  :D 

E book buying today - Enid Blyton's The Early Years at Malory Towers :smile: , and Alan Weisman's Countdown: Our Last, Best Hope for a Future on Earth? 

Reading today - Angela Thirkell's Summer Half - this one is the first book of her's I've read, and it's main character is a schoolmaster in a 1937 boys prep school. Difficult to get into, but now I am following the very sharp observations, and Thirkell has a very dry sense of humour in this one. 

I've done a bit of e-book downloading as well.  Yesterday I bought Bram Stokers Dracula on audio, to do Immersion Reading.  Narrated by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry as Van Helsing and Simon Vance as Jonathan Harker.  This is exciting to me, as I have attempted Dracula three times and failed, mostly because of the language.  For some reason, hearing it spoken helps me a lot. 

I also purchased HG Wells' The War of the Worlds, also on audio for Immersion Reading, I started that yesterday and am still reading the Jack Reacher book with it.

E book buying today - Enid Blyton's The Early Years at Malory Towers :smile: , and Alan Weisman's Countdown: Our Last, Best Hope for a Future on Earth? 

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I've done a bit of e-book downloading as well.  Yesterday I bought Bram Stokers Dracula on audio, to do Immersion Reading.  Narrated by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry as Van Helsing and Simon Vance as Jonathan Harker.  This is exciting to me, as I have attempted Dracula three times and failed, mostly because of the language.  For some reason, hearing it spoken helps me a lot. 

I also purchased HG Wells' The War of the Worlds, also on audio for Immersion Reading, I started that yesterday and am still reading the Jack Reacher book with it.

I hope you enjoy your new purchases :)!

I started to read Gayle Forman - If I Stay 2: Where She Went yesterday, but so far have only read a few pages. I keep thinking about The Silent Sister (and how good the plot twists were). Hopefully I'll be able to do a bit more reading later today and get more into the story.

Found out the next book for my reading group is All Our Worldly Goods by Irène Némirovsky, which I'm very excited about. Not often they pick something I haven't read and am interested in before I start it! :D

I finished The Battle of Pollocks Crossing at lunch time, and it was another fantastic book from Carr, then couldn't resist starting on First Term at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton for our group read. :smile2:

I read The Giver last year. I also recommend it. The Giver is one of those books that make the "must read" in our lifetime list. The book, as you say, was definitely very thought provoking. It kinda reminds me of the saying......be careful of what you wish for.

This is a great way to describe it "be careful of what you wish for" it makes you think about how our idea of "perfect" might not be so perfect after all. I read it only three or four weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Would recommend it to anyone. 

As for my reading, I decided to take a break from Life of Pi because I just couldn't get into it at the moment. So I started The Good Earth

My favorite book of all time!  The whole trilogy is great.  I hope you like it.

Thank you! I'm really liking it so far. It's a much different setting than most of the books I read, but that adds some nice change and the characters are great. 

I read a lot more in Gayle Forman - If I Stay 2: Where She Went yesterday and am about half way through now. I'm enjoying the story, it definitely reads a little bit differently than the Dutch translation I read of book 1. I don't know if this is because this story is written from a different point of view and so the style is different, or whether the translation I read was a little bit off. Either way, I'm enjoying the book and look forward to read what'll happen in the story.

I read a lot more in Gayle Forman - If I Stay 2: Where She Went yesterday and am about half way through now. I'm enjoying the story, it definitely reads a little bit differently than the Dutch translation I read of book 1. I don't know if this is because this story is written from a different point of view and so the style is different, or whether the translation I read was a little bit off. Either way, I'm enjoying the book and look forward to read what'll happen in the story.

I have 'If I Stay' on my TBR shelf, I'm not sure when I'll be reading it, could be after Jamaica Inn or in 70 books time, it's in the hands of the box! I'm looking forward to it nonetheless! I may have bought it due to your recommendation but I'm not sure.