Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

I'm going to try to read Margaret Atwood's Lady Oracle, yet again :sarcastic: .    

Admit it!  You like the pain! :giggle2:

I started on Paper Towns (John Green) to see if it can help get me out of this slump. 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you think that this a form of masochism? :giggle2: I admit that her book is good, but it require dedication - and I am so fickle at the moment, I'm easily led away by new, shiny books.... :blush2: .

Hope Paper Town is going to be good, and your reading mojo improves  :smile:

Edited by Marie H

I started on Paper Towns (John Green) to see if it can help get me out of this slump. 

Ahhh I hope you like it, it's a bit of an unusual one. It's my favourite John Green book, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it! Enjoy :)

Ahhh I hope you like it, it's a bit of an unusual one. It's my favourite John Green book, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it! Enjoy :)

It is a bit strange, but so was An Abundance of Katherines.  I remember you saying it was your favorite, so I decided to try it over Looking for Alaska.

Edited by Anna Begins

I started reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton the other night and I think I'm enjoying it so far.  I'm trying not to let its size put me off :lol:  I feel like I need something serious but my reading mood is very wishy-washy these days!   

It is a bit strange, but so was An Abundance of Katherines.  I remember you saying it was your favorite, so I decided to try it over Looking for Alaska.

It's a bit strange, it's one of his less formulaic and it's far more driven by ideas and concepts than by a proper story. But that's the point of the whole thing, that we all see our own ideas of things, rather than what's really in front of us. I think it's miles ahead of Looking For Alaska, which I really wasn't keen on, but I think most people prefer Alaska, so you might be one of those. Either way, I think most people like Paper Towns to some extent. :)

I've been a little busy but I menaged to read a few good books this month, like Collected novels of Maeve Brennan and The Goldfinch, Donna Tarrt.

Now I have to read some YA books (Chambers, Shustermann, Collins.. ) because I will do a sort of lecture on YA literature next month.. I'm so excited about it   :hyper: 

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was given it as a gift and wasn't expecting to like it but it was good as quite different from anything I had read before. I hope you enjoy it too :) 

I'm reading The Martian by Andy Weir, which I discovered on a 'Most Recommended Books of 2014' list. I can't remember where I found the list, I wasn't looking for it. Anyway, so far I am LOVING The Martian, and it's well on its way to becoming my first 5 star book of the year!

Glad you are enjoying The Martian so much. I read it last year and really liked it.

I started reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton the other night and I think I'm enjoying it so far.  I'm trying not to let its size put me off :lol:  I feel like I need something serious but my reading mood is very wishy-washy these days!   

I liked The Forgotten Garden, but unfortunately I can't remember anything about it. :doh: I just know I enjoyed it enough to buy Kate Morton's other books.

I finished The Mangle Street Murders last night and loved it. I will definitely be reading the sequel. :boogie:

I started Misery by Stephen King this morning. It's a re-read....I've forgotten how terrifying Annie Wilkes is. :icon_eek:

It's a bit strange, it's one of his less formulaic and it's far more driven by ideas and concepts than by a proper story. But that's the point of the whole thing, that we all see our own ideas of things, rather than what's really in front of us. I think it's miles ahead of Looking For Alaska, which I really wasn't keen on, but I think most people prefer Alaska, so you might be one of those. Either way, I think most people like Paper Towns to some extent. :)

Yeah I really liked Alaska, but I also liked Paper Towns. I like them all except for The Fault in our Stars, so I guess my opinion doesn't matter :lol:

I finished reading A Farewell to Arms and I'm now reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. I'm also still working my way through The Good Earth on kindle. 

Yeah I really liked Alaska, but I also liked Paper Towns. I like them all except for The Fault in our Stars, so I guess my opinion doesn't matter :lol:

Well, TFIOS is his most commerical and formulaic novel, so I'd never put that past someone. People who don't like Paper Towns, on the other hand... :lol:

I'm halfway through the last Malory Towers book, so should finish that today.  I still have my last book pick from my jar to read, and my library book group choice for the next meeting, so not sure which one of those I'll read first, but one of them will probably be my next read. :)

I finished The Rosie Project last night, and I loved it !! :D I'm really looking to read the sequel now  :smile:

I'm sooo pleased you loved it so much! :smile2: When do you think you will be getting to the sequel? I'm sorry, I forget, are you going to buy a copy or wait for a library copy or just wait for the paperback... Or ....? I got the library copy yesterday and as there was a copy of TRP, too, I borrowed it thinking I could give it a re-read first! :)

Still, I am excited to finish because I have made my very own book jar! 

Oooh, another book jar! Very exciting!! :smile2: 

I've been a little busy but I menaged to read a few good books this month, like Collected novels of Maeve Brennan and The Goldfinch, Donna Tarrt.

Now I have to read some YA books (Chambers, Shustermann, Collins.. ) because I will do a sort of lecture on YA literature next month.. I'm so excited about it   :hyper:

You're going to do a lecture on YA literature? That is soooo cool!! :cool: You need to tell us more about it!

I started Misery by Stephen King this morning. It's a re-read....I've forgotten how terrifying Annie Wilkes is. :icon_eek:

She's whack  :hide:   

I finished the third book in the MT series yesterday and started reading Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver, a crime novel suggested to me by GR. The book box feels neglected, having gone for another library book :( 

I have it on my TBR, I hope you like it :).

Good luck with the lecture :)!

I read some more in Tony Attwood, Temple Grandin and others - Meisjes en Vrouwen met Asperger (Asperger's and Girls). One particular chapter was really good and contained a lot of new information for me. The book seems though to be mainly written for parents and teachers and not the people themselves (I never get this.. the amount of books for parents vastly outnumbers the books for the people themselves from my experience, yet don't people think we need help too? I mean.. a lot of books are for parents about parenting young children or teenagers but I don't understand that not that many people / researchers / authors realise that children grow up and become adults!). One chapter of this book had some nice things in it, but several bits I didn't agree with at all! (more in my review once I've finished the book and written the review). Either way, I was about to give up when I encountered that really interesting chapter so I'm persisting with it. It's not a brilliant read, for me, but it's short and quick and I am glad for the parts I did like, so far (though obviously the book as a whole won't get a perfect rating).

I'm sooo pleased you loved it so much! :smile2: When do you think you will be getting to the sequel? I'm sorry, I forget, are you going to buy a copy or wait for a library copy or just wait for the paperback... Or ....? I got the library copy yesterday and as there was a copy of TRP, too, I borrowed it thinking I could give it a re-read first! :)

Requested the nice hardback from the on-line library this morning, and as it's very popular at the moment (i'm 7 out of 7 queue who have requested it) so it may take a few weeks until I get to read it. TRP was such a wonderful book, it was both humorous and bitter-sweet :smile: . I'm kicking myself for having it in my ebook TBR for so long... :blush2:

Getting into Atwood's Lady Oracle again (no, I mean it, and it is good), though this book needs some dedication (something I lack in my reading mojo at the moment :blush2: .

I finished reading A Farewell to Arms and I'm now reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. I'm also still working my way through The Good Earth on kindle. 

Ugh I hope The Good Earth doesn't become some drag along for you!  You'll like Uncle Tom's Cabin for sure.

I only saw the movie for TFiOS :hide: ... Why didn't you like the book?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was given it as a gift and wasn't expecting to like it but it was good as quite different from anything I had read before. I hope you enjoy it too :)

Thanks!  I am liking it so far :smile: John Green seems to be an "expect the unexpected" author.

Well, TFIOS is his most commerical and formulaic novel, so I'd never put that past someone. People who don't like Paper Towns, on the other hand... :lol:

Yeah that makes sense why I didn't like it. Agree about Paper Towns. Not liking it would be outrageous!

Ugh I hope The Good Earth doesn't become some drag along for you!  You'll like Uncle Tom's Cabin for sure.

I only saw the movie for TFiOS :hide: ... Why didn't you like the book?

Thanks!  I am liking it so far :smile: John Green seems to be an "expect the unexpected" author.

The Good Earth hasn't been a drag along, but I just haven't been in the mood to read a kindle book and I don't have it in a real book form. 

I'm not really sure why I didn't like TFiOS. I just remember that I liked the other three John Green books a whole lot better. Maybe it was too mainstream and talked about, but I just didn't find the characters as interesting. It could also be that I related better to the characters in the other books whereas I don't exactly relate to a teenager with terminal cancer.