pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

Wow, pontalba! What a wonderful haul  :cool: !!

The Complete Works of Saki by H.H. Munro is so deliciously sinister, with characters and plots! And with the Noel Coward intro too. Happy Reading!

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great haul, Kate! I'd love to travel around to estate sales with you both. It sounds like a lot of fun!

I second this! Sounds like so much fun.

Wow, pontalba! What a wonderful haul  :cool: !!

The Complete Works of Saki by H.H. Munro is so deliciously sinister, with characters and plots! And with the Noel Coward intro too. Happy Reading!

I've only read a few of the short stories, so far.  Very sharp! :)

I hope you enjoy all your new books, Kate :D!

Thanks, Gaia....it's a varied bunch. :)

Great book haul ! Sounds like a grand day out.  :D

I second this! Sounds like so much fun.

Great haul, Kate! I'd love to travel around to estate sales with you both. It sounds like a lot of fun!

It really was loads of fun.  We both just love mucking about the countryside. 

I wish y'all could come too!  We'd make a week of it!    :readingtwo:  :D    Actually we are thinking of driving along the Gulf Coast sometime this year.  I thought I'd check out Estate Sales on the website I use to locate them, and plot out the proper dates to catch some that we would ordinarily not be able to check out.

That sounds great, Kate. I have no idea whether we have that sort of thing (estate sales) around here. I should really look into it. There might be a whole untapped book market out there for me! :D (But I shouldn't get my hopes up.)

It really was loads of fun.  We both just love mucking about the countryside. 

I wish y'all could come too!  We'd make a week of it!    :readingtwo:  :D    Actually we are thinking of driving along the Gulf Coast sometime this year.  I thought I'd check out Estate Sales on the website I use to locate them, and plot out the proper dates to catch some that we would ordinarily not be able to check out.

Sounds good :D! I wish you lots of fun :)! I don't think we have a thing called Estate Sales here in the Netherlands, that I know of, but I recently read a book that featured one so thanks to that I know what it is (no one can say books don't teach you anything) :).

A bookie road trip !  :D  Does your car have a trailer ?  ;)

That sounds great, Kate. I have no idea whether we have that sort of thing (estate sales) around here. I should really look into it. There might be a whole untapped book market out there for me! :D (But I shouldn't get my hopes up.)

Sounds good :D! I wish you lots of fun :)! I don't think we have a thing called Estate Sales here in the Netherlands, that I know of, but I recently read a book that featured one so thanks to that I know what it is (no one can say books don't teach you anything) :).

Usually they hold estate sales when a person either dies or goes into a retirement home.  Or even moves house.  Not all of them have books.  In fact it is amazing to me the amount of people that have no books at all!!  :eek:   Here is a link to one (for example) that I think we might go to this weekend.  It's across the lake in my old neighborhood.  http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/LA/Metairie/70005/797241?utm_source=bellsouth.net&utm_medium=email&utm_term=70431&utm_content=New-Orleans-LA&utm_campaign=2015-01-27-3DaysBefore

Here is the link for their homepage.  http://www.estatesales.net/  It's only in the U.S., but it might help you locate one in your neck of the woods. 

A bookie road trip !  :D  Does your car have a trailer ?  ;)

No, but it's a Grand Cherokee Jeep. :D  We have carried 6 foot bookcases in it already, that's with the back seats down flat. Loads of floor space! :)

That's a shame, I wonder why.  Hmmm.

I've been to a few auctions, and don't really care for them.  I guess they move too fast, and the price goes up too high for my taste. 

Wow, Kate! You really did have an impressive haul. :D I have to be a good girl and limit my book buying budget, so I went with a very specific list in mind. I swung by Blue Cypress on the way home, but wasn't able to cross anything off the list there either. :/ I suppose I just wasn't meant to expand my collection on Saturday!

I haven't been in Blue Cypress in a long time. What about The Book Rack? I see she has moved down to the Severn end of Metairie Road. I'll have to check out her new place. I checked and the Symphony Book Fair is supposed to be in May. But it isn't at Delgado, it's out someplace by UNO I think.

I haven't been in Blue Cypress in a long time. What about The Book Rack? I see she has moved down to the Severn end of Metairie Road. I'll have to check out her new place. I checked and the Symphony Book Fair is supposed to be in May. But it isn't at Delgado, it's out someplace by UNO I think.

I haven't checked out The Book Rack yet. I did get over to Maple Street a few weeks back; I love that place!

Jefferson Parish library is having their big book sale March 26-29 at the Pontchartrain Center. We got a fair amount there last year.

I see someone's been buying a whole lotta books :D Great hauls! 

Have you read The Magus before, or would it be a first read? I can't remember if we've talked about the book before :blush: I really want to read the book, I think it will be a great one, but I've never gotten around to starting it. 

And have you read anything by Lillian Hellman before? I think I talked about her with someone on here some years ago... Her play called The Children's Hour is on the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, and I started reading stuff on Hellman on wikipedia and found out that she was in a relationship with Dashiell Hammett. More interestingly I remember she was at odds with some other female author, although I can't remember who at the moment. But she sounds like an interesting character, I want to read about her at some point :) 

The estate sales sound fun :)! I couldn't do an auction though, that's really not my sort of thing. I hope you have fun Kate :).

That's very true, and thanks! :)

I haven't checked out The Book Rack yet. I did get over to Maple Street a few weeks back; I love that place!

Jefferson Parish library is having their big book sale March 26-29 at the Pontchartrain Center. We got a fair amount there last year.

I haven't been to Maple St in years, but we do like Garden District Bookshop, on Prytania.  There is a coffee shop across the hall from them that has great coffee and bagels. :D  Thanks for the heads up on the JP sale, too!

I see someone's been buying a whole lotta books :D Great hauls! 

Have you read The Magus before, or would it be a first read? I can't remember if we've talked about the book before :blush: I really want to read the book, I think it will be a great one, but I've never gotten around to starting it. 

And have you read anything by Lillian Hellman before? I think I talked about her with someone on here some years ago... Her play called The Children's Hour is on the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, and I started reading stuff on Hellman on wikipedia and found out that she was in a relationship with Dashiell Hammett. More interestingly I remember she was at odds with some other female author, although I can't remember who at the moment. But she sounds like an interesting character, I want to read about her at some point :)

Not only good books, but insanely great prices.  For all of the Estate Sale books it was under 40.00 USD, not too shabby. :)

Have not read anything by Hellman, but I also have a bio of hers on the shelf to read.  I knew she was with Hammett though.  Hmmm, not sure, maybe Gertrude Stein? 

I read The Magus about 30 years ago, don't remember anything except the awful WWI battlefield scene.  Truly gruesome!  It wasn't of the battle itself, as I recall, but the aftermath.

You've read The Children's Hour then?

A few additions to the shelves.

Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

When the Facts Change, Essays 1995-2010 by Tony Judt

Death Without Company , A Walt Longmire Mystery by Craig Johnson

Also, for those of you that are fans of Andy Weir (wrote The Martian), here is a short story of his.  This man has a very interesting mind....... http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Here is a link to the whole site.  He does comics too. :crazy:   http://www.galactanet.com/

Also, for those of you that are fans of Andy Weir (wrote The Martian), here is a short story of his.  This man has a very interesting mind....... http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Here is a link to the whole site.  He does comics too. :crazy:   http://www.galactanet.com/

Awesome, thanks for this!

I haven't been to Maple St in years, but we do like Garden District Bookshop, on Prytania.  There is a coffee shop across the hall from them that has great coffee and bagels. :D  Thanks for the heads up on the JP sale, too!

You're welcome! Garden District Bookshop and the coffee shop are just lovely, aren't they? I think that Garden District is just so well curated, you know? It's this tiny little space, but every selection is wonderful.

I'm going to snatch that up and read it today, as a pre- The Martian read!  Thanks!

Brilliant! 

You should check out Glitch by Hugh Howey

My review:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12425-annas-books-for-2014/?p=412471

You might like his Walk Up Nameless Ridge too, which I reviewed a few posts down.

Edited by Anna Begins