pontalba's 2015 Reading List

pontalba

Sorry I've been so remiss in responding....!

It's great your first read of the year was such a good one :)!

Thanks, Gaia! :)

Off to a great start to the year with Banville, I see. :) I think this is one of the few books of his that I don't own.

On the previous page you mentioned pirogues (thanks for the link). Do you know what the types of boats are called where the person sits up really, really high to be able to see over the reeds (or whatever they might be)? I'm pretty sure they're used in the southern US states. I've seen them in a few movies, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Wild Things. They look awesome and so much fun. I'd love to explore that type of territory. :)

I think I have one more older one of his to catch up on, it's on the shelf somewhere.....lol

Here is a wiki link for pirogue... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirogue

Kate

Wasn't North and South good ? I saw the mini series when is was on, but haven't read the books yet myself .

Yes!! We loved it.  Particularly because it stuck very close to actual historic events, and portrayed both sides as good and bad.

I think they are called airboats?

Nope, see above link.  Airboat is the picture below that Kylie posted.  They are used a great deal in the Florida Everglades.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everglades

Not a place I'd like to get lost in! 

Yes, that's it, thanks! Here's an image of what I was talking about (for some reason I thought the operator sat higher up  :blush2:).

attachicon.gifprivate.jpg

I've always seen them depicted in films as being used in the Florida Everglades.  I've never seen them used in South Louisiana.  That's not to say they never to, just not in my experience.

ADDED IN EDIT:  There are versions of the airboat that the guy does indeed sit higher up on the boat.

Very wise! I see we're both on the same wavelength this year. :giggle2: Hope you have a great reading year! :D

Thanks Laura!  You too!

Ancient Light sounds rather good. Must resist. :hide:

Oh, fiddle-faddle!  Resisting is for the Borg!  /giggle/

Happy reading in 2015 Pontalba.  :smile:

Thanks, Chrissy, I hope you have many happy readings too! :)

I receive a newsletter from a blog called Shelf Awareness, I nicked onto it from a local independent bookseller.  Just had to share this bookish love story!

http://www.shelf-awareness.com/readers-issue.html?issue=366#m6477

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't been doing much reading, but films....yes! :)

We went on a bit of a tear watching films yesterday at home.

First was through Amazon Streaming (free with AP), Evidence of Blood with David Strathaim and Mary McDonnell. No, in spite of the title it was not gory in the least. One piece of evidence was bloody.
Here is the blurb from Amazon...
"An award winning author of stories of real crimes returns to his hometown where he becomes involved in a 40 year old case of a murdered teenager.".

Extremely well done, well acted with a good twist toward the end.

Then we watched a remake of Suspicion with Anthony Andrews and Jane Curtin. I like both actors, but there was just something missing. Alongside the original, it was just a bit silly.

Then, Rebecca. Olivier and Fontaine. No more needs to be said. :)   

Day before yesterday we went to the theatre to see The Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightly. 

First of all let me say I was amazed that Keira Knightly was such a good actress.  I'd thought of her as a bit of fluff.  So not fair!  She really is an interesting and intense actress.  Cumberbatch is, well, Cumberbatch.  :)  Intense, vulnerable, likeable, unlikeable, sweet and thorny all at the same time.

The story is of how Alan Turing created the first computer.....and broke the "unbreakable" German  cipher code, Enigma,  from World War II.  I knew the story of course, of Bletchley Park, but seeing the actual machine recreated on film was fantastic!    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bletchley_Park Scroll down to the personnel section....the film was completely accurate of the personnel.

Turing was, no doubt, a complete genius and a fascinating and flawed man.  http://www.turing.org.uk/  The site is well worth a look.

The terrible aftermath to do with the narrow-mindedness of the laws on homosexuality at the time were just cruel and inhuman. 

The film absolutely tears the viewer apart...we cheer, laugh, and weep at the events. 

I'd give it 10 stars, for sure!

Edited by pontalba

A few more additions to the piles......

The Big Rock Candy Mountain and Recapitulation by Wallace Stegner

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Love and War and Heaven and Hell by John Jakes (2nd and 3rd of the North and South American Civil War trilogy)

All, except the Hawkins, are second hand Amazon Marketplace purchases.  IOW, cheap, er inexpensive..... :P

Edited by pontalba

I`ve seen a few good things about The Girl on the Train - shall be interested in your review ( hey, no pressure !  ;)  )

It's one I want to get to asap. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the films :)!

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

Thanks, Gaia.  One more film we went to was Inherent Vice.  It's based on the book of the same name by Thomas Pynchon.  Not my favorite, but am still glad to have seen it.  Husband has read the book, and says that it's close, but the film goes farther in certain aspects, like the sex scenes.  As usual with Pynchon, bathroom humor is present.  Oy.  Anyhow, the photography was gorgeous, the 1970 costuming was on target.  The colors were absolutely vivid and gorgeous.  The acting was top notch.  Joachim Phoenix is really a very intense and talented actor. 

So, today we went to the local Library Sale.  Yes.  We bought books. :D

Cloud Chamber by Michael Dorris

The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman  an extra copy

The Man in the Wooden Hat by Jane Gardam

The Magus by John Fowles (a paperback version, we have the ginormous HB)

The Hollow Man by Oliver Harris

Angels Flight by Michael Connelly

The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly

Bones of Betrayal by Jefferson Bass

Just One Evil Act by Elizabeth George

Winnie and Wolf by A.N. Wilson

Homeland by John Jakes

Charleston by John Jakes

The Bureau and the Mole by David A. Vise

Dylan Thomas, the Biography by Paul Ferris

And, a few arrived from Amazon:

The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault

The Just City by Jo Walton

Team of Rivals (The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln) by Doris Kearns Goodwin

It's one I want to get to asap. :)

Ya, I want to read that one too, possibly with my dad.  I've already downloaded the sample for us to try out.

Team of Rivals (The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln) by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Mmmm, this is a good one.

Hold up! Was that on the Northshore, or is it something I've missed here? It's too late for today, but I could still pick through the dregs tomorrow. You got quite a haul!

:). It was up here, on the NS. Yesterday and today.

I thought I'd borrow Karen's idea for a film thread.....but instead,  just a running post at the beginning of this thread.   So, it's up now.  Also I've added a post at the beginning that will list books bought this year.  I've listed the ones so far.....it'll be a running list as well. :)

I thought I'd borrow Karen's idea for a film thread.....but instead,  just a running post at the beginning of this thread.   So, it's up now.  Also I've added a post at the beginning that will list books bought this year.  I've listed the ones so far.....it'll be a running list as well. :)

It looks good . And hurray - you`ve bought more books than me so far !  :giggle2:  :blush2:

Just had a look at your film list, and I spotted Jane Eyre, and wondered if you'd seen the BBC mini-series from a few years back with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens?  That was actually my first adaptation of the book, and I thought it was excellent.  You've also reminded me that I've still got the 2011 film version with Michael Fassbender recorded which I haven't watched yet either.  Have you seen that one?  I'm a bit trepidatious about watching it as I loved the BBC mini-series so much. :D

I've seen the most recent film of JE, I think it's the Fassbender...it cut some of the most basic elements of the story. I didn't care for it, it seemed to be only half of the story. I haven't seen the Wilson/Stephens version though.

My favorite (and most complete) version is the mini-series with Timothy Dalton, the name of the actress playing Jane escapes me atm, but she was good, although having just seen Joan Fontaine in the role....not quite as good as she.

LP.......hah! I have faith you'll catch up soon! :D

I`m doing my very best.  ;)

I rather liked the Ruth Wilson Jane Eyre.   :smile: 

I haven't seen it, yet. :) 

Zelah Clarke!! .. she was my favourite Jane (and Timothy Dalton my favourite Rochester) but I liked Ruth Wilson too. Joan was good also but I preferred her in Rebecca.

Yes, that's the Jane I meant.  I do like her as Jane, but seeing Fontaine so recently made me remember how very emotive and soft she made Jane.  I do think it is possible that Fontaine's Jane is even closer to the book version than Zelah Clarkes.  As I say, I liked ZC a lot in the role, but I've always thought there was something niggling at the back of my mind about her in the role. 

As much as I absolutely adore Orson Welles in anything, I have to say that I think Timothy Dalton is really the very best Rochester, ever. 

Amazon, mysteriously, delivered some second hand books.  Tis a puzzlement! :cool:

The Circle by Dave Eggers

Hitler 1889-1936 by Ian Kershaw

Hitler 1936-1945 by Ian Kershaw

Fateful Choices by Ian Kershaw

The Circle by Dave Eggers

Hitler 1889-1936 by Ian Kershaw

Hitler 1936-1945 by Ian Kershaw

Fateful Choices by Ian Kershaw

I hope you enjoy all your new books :D! My parents have read The Circle in Dutch and they liked it :). I might borrow it from them at some point.

I hope you enjoy all your new books :D! My parents have read The Circle in Dutch and they liked it :). I might borrow it from them at some point.

Thanks, Gaia. :)  It does look pretty good. 

Some additions bought yesterday at two different Estate Sales.  I've listed them on the first page as well as an edit.

We really had a day of it yesterday!  We put 220 miles on the Jeep, going from home to Baton Rouge (well, just this side of B.R.), back to Hammond for lunch, then down to New Orleans, Lakefront area, for the second sale.  Then back across the lake for home base. :)  A long, and as you can see,  productive day.  We haven't done this in months, so it was fun! :)

The list:

On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony

Star Man's Son by Andre Norton

Dread Companion by Andre Norton

Sandman by Neil Gaiman and Ed Kramer

31 Nebula Awards  SWFA's Choices for the best science fiction and fantasy of the year (1997)

Brightness Falls From the Air by James Tiptree, Jr.

The Trial of Socrates by I.F. Stone

Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes (a second copy)

The Iliad by Homer, translation by Robert Fagles

Don't Know Much About the Civil War by Kenneth C. Davis

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich (forgot I had a copy /sigh/)

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

More Book Lust by Nancy Pearl

The Three Crowns by Jean Plaidy

Six Modern American Plays--The Emperor Jones, Winterset, The Man Who Came to Dinner, The Little Foxes, The Glass Menagerie and Mister Roberts

Six Plays by Lillian Hellman (some replications, I know, but what the heck!)

Everyday Life in Ancient Times (put out by National Geographic)  Just gorgeous illustrations in this good looking hardback!

A History of God by Karen Armstrong

The Torah

Citizen Soldiers by Stephen E. Ambrose

Grandmother and The Priests by Taylor Caldwell

The Complete Works of Saki by H.H. Munro, Introduction by Noel Coward

Edited by pontalba