• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Julie wrote : Down in the triple digits ?   :o

Oh, please! :P  :giggle2:

A bit late, but Happy New Year and reading in 2015!  :smile:

Thanks, Anna! :)

That didn't take long! :giggle2:  I've resisted so far, but we are only on day 3.

Ahh, well.  The early bird and all that. ;)

I hope you enjoy your new books, Kate :)!

Thanks, Gaia! :)  They are some interesting topics. 

I just love this......."You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"

/sigh/ and LOLOLOL!!!

Edited by pontalba

Congrats on your new books ! Ooh, The Lost Gospel sounds good. But buying less than 10 books ??  Amateur. :giggle2:  :blush2:

:rolol:  :snowballfight:   I'm cutting back.......(and if you believe that, I have some swamp er, farm land I'd like to sell you).  :angel_not:

:rolol:  :snowballfight:   I'm cutting back.......(and if you believe that, I have some swamp er, farm land I'd like to sell you).  :angel_not:

Totally off topic, but I love that snowball fight emoticon. I've never noticed it before :lol: 

I hope you have a fantastic reading year in 2015, pontalba! :smile2:  :readingtwo:

I just love this......."You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"

/sigh/ and LOLOLOL!!!

A very familiar sight :giggle2: LOL ON!! :devcat:

Totally off topic, but I love that snowball fight emoticon. I've never noticed it before :lol:

:D  It's great, isn't it.  I haven't used it before.....I think.

Off topic can be a good thing! :yes:

I hope you have a fantastic reading year in 2015, pontalba! :smile2:  :readingtwo:

A very familiar sight :giggle2: LOL ON!! :devcat:

:jump:

Hmm, for some reason, the cat says no.  ;) Something about not wanting to get her paws wet.  :giggle2:

Hah!  Typical cat! /grinning/

Behind on my reading again, but should be catching up in the next couple of days. :)

We've watched all 18 hours of the American Civil War epic North and South.  The books it's based on are the North and South trilogy by John Jakes.  The mini series was very close, historically speaking, and was interesting.  Parts of it were soap opera(ish), but interesting all the same.  Interestingly enough the mini series ends with the end of the Civil War, but that's only the first two books.  The last one covers the decade after the War.

Of course, since I haven't read the books, I've ordered them, second hand off Amazon. :giggle:

We've watched all 18 hours of the American Civil War epic North and South.  The books it's based on are the North and South trilogy by John Jakes.  The mini series was very close, historically speaking, and was interesting.  Parts of it were soap opera(ish), but interesting all the same.  Interestingly enough the mini series ends with the end of the Civil War, but that's only the first two books.  The last one covers the decade after the War.

Of course, since I haven't read the books, I've ordered them, second hand off Amazon. :giggle:

Ooooh, I remember watching North and South, it was an epic  :smile:

:D That didn't take long! :giggle2:  I've resisted so far, but we are only on day 3. :P

Resistance is for the weak... No, hang on, that's not quite how it goes is it? ;)

Happy 2015 pontalba! Will be following along and no doubt adding to the TBR following your reviews!

Resistance is for the weak... No, hang on, that's not quite how it goes is it? ;)

Happy 2015 pontalba! Will be following along and no doubt adding to the TBR following your reviews!

Thanks, Alexi! :)

Resistance is futile.....(to buying new books!)   :P  :readingtwo:  :giggle2:

Edited by pontalba

Ancient Light by John Banville  5+/5

Now he was speaking of the ancient light of galaxies that travels for a million--a billion--a trillion!--miles to reach us. "Even here," he said, "at this table, the light that is the image of my eyes takes time, a tiny time, infinitesimal, yet time, to reach your eyes, and so it is that everywhere we look, everywhere, we are looking into the past." (p. 202)

It isn't that Alexander Cleave is an unreliable narrator, it's more that his memory is an unreliable source. Telescoping present to past, wandering down corridors of memory that haven't been traversed in....how many decades? A gentle and perhaps a bit mad telling of his daughter's death, his own past affair as a teenager with a friend's mother, and the making of a film about a scoundrel. Circles within circles, the truth of which is, shall we say, a bit blurred around the overlapping edges.

How many of us remember our past with true clarity, without any skips in reality? Without any hopeful longings being fulfilled or shameful events being obliterated? Do we remember our past as it happened, or as we would prefer it had taken place? How important is it that we remember, with clarity, what has formed us? Is it better to believe the better or the worse, what will it bring to our present?

Banville's prose, as always is gorgeous. But "gorgeous" just doesn't cover it. Lyrical, flowing and crisp as autumn air, his prose flows over the reader like a balm. It is both exhilarating and calming.

Yeah, it's gorgeous. :)

Highly recommended.

Off to a great start to the year with Banville, I see. :) I think this is one of the few books of his that I don't own.

On the previous page you mentioned pirogues (thanks for the link). Do you know what the types of boats are called where the person sits up really, really high to be able to see over the reeds (or whatever they might be)? I'm pretty sure they're used in the southern US states. I've seen them in a few movies, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Wild Things. They look awesome and so much fun. I'd love to explore that type of territory. :)

Off to a great start to the year with Banville, I see. :) I think this is one of the few books of his that I don't own.

On the previous page you mentioned pirogues (thanks for the link). Do you know what the types of boats are called where the person sits up really, really high to be able to see over the reeds (or whatever they might be)? I'm pretty sure they're used in the southern US states. I've seen them in a few movies, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Wild Things. They look awesome and so much fun. I'd love to explore that type of territory. :)

I think they are called airboats?

Last year I tried to set a few challenges, and miserably failed at 2 out of 3.  So.  Not again.  Yes, I'll try to manage the same ones, but am not declaring for it! :angel_not:

Very wise! I see we're both on the same wavelength this year. :giggle2: Hope you have a great reading year! :D