Bobblybear's Book List - 2015

bobblybear

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No One Gets Out Alive - Adam Nevill (abandoned)

I didn't finish this book. It bummed me out to have to abandon a book so soon, but I disliked it so much that I couldn't force myself to carry on.

My first problem was the repetitiveness of the events. Yes, we get that Stephanie hears odd noises in the house, and hears footsteps outside her room but cannot see anyone. We don't need to read in detail that it happens night after night. I was like reading the same chapter many times over, but with slightly different dialogue. 

My next problem were the characters. Stephanie was just pathetic and weak, with no common-sense and far too wishy-washy for my liking. Quite frankly, I am amazed she managed to dress herself in the morning, without anyone telling her how to do it.    The villains were completely over the top. Their way of speaking (the dialogue was written phoenetically which grated on my nerves big time) and the way they conducted themselves was such an exaggeration that they were caricature-like rather than people.

After reading the reviews on Amazon, I'm sure I made the right decision in abandoning it, as it seems like the story is very repetitive until about three-quarters through, and it's only then that earlier events are explained, etc.

Having said that, there were some genuinely scary moments, but unfortunately these were far outweighed by the negatives I've listed above.

I wouldn't want to completely write off Nevill, as many reviews have said this one isn't his best, but I think it will be a while before I give him another go.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but giggle at times when reading this review. For example when I read the line marked in red. I'm sorry you didn't like the novel... I think I've added it on my wishlist some months ago, I can't remember why. It might just be that it will get deleted now.. :giggle2: 

I'm enjoying my Book Box, the kids pull the titles out for me and I allow myself two chances, if I really don't fancy the first they pick a second, but then I have to choose between the two.  Don't forget to put up a photo when it's done! 

This sounds like a great idea if one is too worried about having to go with the first pick! :) 

Not the best pic, but the Book Jar is complete. As you can see, it's very full!

I've just finished Wool, so I shall be picking my first book from the jar tonight. Wish me luck! 

attachicon.gif20150403_173518.jpg

What a prettyful Book Jar! I hope you have lots of fun with it :smile2: 

A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron

The book is told through the eyes of a dog, as he passes through several lives and struggles to find a deeper meaning behind what his ultimate purpose is in life. It starts with him being born as a stray, and from there he passes through different lives, coming back as a different breed but with the memories from his previous lives. Bailey (as he is called in his first family home) is somewhat surprised to keep returning, and thinks there must be a deeper purpose behind this.

As with most dog stories, there are many moments that do tug on your heart strings, and I think it's best appreciated by people who love dogs. If you aren't a dog-person then you probably wouldn't get or appreciate some sections of the book. There is a bit of humour in it and there were also a few parts that took me by surprise, like

when he was put down via a 'gas chamber' with other dogs, at the start of the book. I was quite shocked and had to read it again as I thought I was missing something. I didn't realise the book was about a dog that kept being reborn, so it took me a while to get it. I found that quite shocking and brutal to read, as it's not something often described in books.

It was a sweet book, but overall I prefered The Art of Racing in the Rain, which is also told through the eyes of a dog.

4/6

It's nearly impossible to beat The Art of Racing in the Rain, in my humble opinion :)  I'm glad, though, that you still give other doggy books a chance :D 

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

At the start of the story Agnes has been sentenced to death because of her involvement in the murder of her lover. She has been sent to stay with the family of a district official on their farm, in the months leading to her execution (which is a bit odd, but I guess that is the way things were done back then). A priest has also been chosen to be Agnes' spiritual guardian and is there to help her repent and find solace before her death.

Great review, bobbly! I didn't know that about the murder/crime suspects staying in people's houses while waiting for their execution, that's interesting! I imagine it might be a tiny bit scary....  :hide:

:doh: Can't wait to get to Wool.  Thanks for the review- I really like Howey.  You might like his latest, The Shell Collector.

How are Sean Platt and David Wright getting along?  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Empire of the Sun - JG Ballard

This one was a massive struggle for me. When I read this in high school I had no idea that it was based on the authors childhood (or I have forgotten that was the case), and I don't remember having strong feelings about it one way or another, or struggling through it.

It is based on JG Ballard's own experiences during the time he spent in a Japanese prison camp in Shanghai (though he was not separated from his parents, unlike Jim in the book). Unfortunately I just couldn't connect with any of it, and found it told in a very cold and impersonal manner. Jim was difficult to relate to, and I found him to be quite a cardboard-like character. There were some parts of the book that were interesting to read, but on the whole I found it very bloated, dull and too long.

The casual approach to death is quite astonishing with many graphic references to corpses and injuries, told in a way that you know they have seen things like this every day, and barely even notice it anymore.

I know I was supposed to be moved by the story but I wasn't at all. I was just glad to be finished with it.  :hide:  :dunno:

1.5/6

Edited by bobblybear

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins

I had such mixed feelings about this one. I wanted to enjoy it so much, and while I found it very easy to pick up and read, I struggle to say I liked it much.

Rachel catches the train every day, and as she passes by the same row of terraced houses she fixates on one couple, and begins to feel she knows them. She even gives them names, and creates little scenarios in her head. Then one day, she sees something very unexpected and then embroils herself in trying to understand what she saw.

My main problem was the main narrator of the story – Rachel. I really didn't like her at all. She spent half the book plastered, and I get that she was meant to be an unreliable narrator, but that didn't add any suspense or mystery for me, it just annoyed me. Actually, all the characters were appalling, and none of them had very distinguishing "voices". Each key female character narrates several chapters from her point of view, and while it was interesting to read different perspectives, I found that these characters all "spoke" the same. I also felt there were too many red herrings, all of which were annoyingly waved in your face. If they were more subtly revealed, and left for the reader to pick up on them or not, then it would be a bit more effective.

I thought the ending was ridiculous, with the actions of the characters so over-the-top. It was just not a believable scenario. :sarcastic:

This has been compared to Gone Girl, but I enjoyed that one far more. But I guess both books have brought out strong opinions in most people, with some loving it and some hating it. :dunno:

2.5/6

So sorry you didn't enjoy Empire of the Sun. I have it on my TBR and was really looking forward to it after Brian's recommendation. But nervous now!

I very much liked Girl on the Train although I hated Rachel and her drinking antics got very annoying. The not cleaning up of her own vomit in someone else's house left me so disgusted! It's really stayed with me even though it's only a passing moment that bears no significance whatsoever :lol:

Great reviews, BB, sorry you didn't get along with the Hawkins book.   I know what you mean though, I wanted to just shake that stupid woman every five minutes. 

I think I liked Wool more than you seem to have though, I read a whole bunch of them in a row.  That was before they came out on paper.  I read them on kindle, and still wonder exactly how far I actually got! :blush2:   I have bought the hardback, couldn't resist. 

I have to double check, but I think I have Empire of the Sun on the stack....I know I meant to buy it.  Just can't recall off the top of my head if I actually followed through........ :P

So sorry you didn't enjoy Empire of the Sun. I have it on my TBR and was really looking forward to it after Brian's recommendation. But nervous now!

You will probably enjoy it much more than I did, as looking at Amazon reviews, I'm definitely in the minority. I just couldn't warm to it.

I very much liked Girl on the Train although I hated Rachel and her drinking antics got very annoying. The not cleaning up of her own vomit in someone else's house left me so disgusted! It's really stayed with me even though it's only a passing moment that bears no significance whatsoever :lol:

I'm not a fan of drinking/drugs in books, movies or real life, and people who are drunk just irritate the hell out of me. Yes, the vomiting was disgusting. If I'd have been her roommate/landlord, I would have kicked her out long ago. :D

Great reviews, BB, sorry you didn't get along with the Hawkins book.   I know what you mean though, I wanted to just shake that stupid woman every five minutes.

Yup, and that did make the book a lot less enjoyable. I still didn't like the ending, but I think I would have enjoyed the rest of the book more if the narrator hadn't been drunk all the time.

I think I liked Wool more than you seem to have though, I read a whole bunch of them in a row.  That was before they came out on paper.  I read them on kindle, and still wonder exactly how far I actually got! :blush2:   I have bought the hardback, couldn't resist.

While I liked it, it didn't blow me away like I hoped it would. It's definitely readable, and maybe the sequels will pick up for me. :dunno:

It's a shame that you didn't like Empire of the Sun, I really loved it when I read it but I guess that's the beauty of books, there is something for everyone.

I've just gone back and read your review....you gave it 5/5, so polar opposite to my views. :smile:  Have you read any other Ballard? I've tried a few of his, and not liked any of them (in fact The Empire of the Sun may be the only one I have finished), so I really don't know why I keep attempting them. :doh:

I have a few books that I want to read next, bypassing the Book Jar.

Just making a note of them here, so I don't forget. :blink:

Random Acts of Senseless Violence - Jack Womack

Elizabeth Is Missing - Emma Healey

A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson

I've just gone back and read your review....you gave it 5/5, so polar opposite to my views. :smile:  Have you read any other Ballard? I've tried a few of his, and not liked any of them (in fact The Empire of the Sun may be the only one I have finished), so I really don't know why I keep attempting them. :doh:

I haven't read any of this other work yet and I haven't even had a look at what his other books are about. The subject of Empire of the Sun was a bit reason I liked it, it's just my kind of thing so who knows how I will react to another subject matter.

A 1960's Childhood: From Thunderbirds to Beatlemania - Paul Feeney

As the title says, this is all about growing up in the 1960s in Britain, and what life was like. I wasn't born until the 1970s (and not in Britain), but have always been vaguely interested in 1960s culture, as I think a lot of people are. So, perhaps I wasn't the right person to read it, and I think someone who was alive at the time would have had that nostalgic feeling reading it.

While parts of it were interesting, there were many sections that I skipped over as the book was full of lists. There were lists of so many things - TV shows and radio broadcasts, and personalities of the time. I hadn't heard of about 90% of them so they weren't of any interest to me. There were also a lot of generic stereotypical descriptions, and plenty of things were covered with just one sentence to describe them so there wasn't much depth to it. It was written very simplistically, almost as though it is for children.

I've read the 1970's book as well and had the same criticisms.

1.5/6

I'm not a fan of drinking/drugs in books, movies or real life, and people who are drunk just irritate the hell out of me. Yes, the vomiting was disgusting. If I'd have been her roommate/landlord, I would have kicked her out long ago. :D

I haven't read the book but I fully agree with you!

Good luck catching up with your reviews! The recent ones you posted were all for books you didn't quite like, I hope you have or will also read something that you enjoy more :friends0:.

No One Gets Out Alive - Adam Nevill (abandoned)

I wouldn't want to completely write off Nevill, as many reviews have said this one isn't his best, but I think it will be a while before I give him another go.

1/6

I missed this when you posted it, but I have to say I agree about Nevill.  I've only read one of his books, Apartment 16, but I thought it was dreadful and vowed never to go near his books again  :banghead:  :D

I missed this when you posted it, but I have to say I agree about Nevill.  I've only read one of his books, Apartment 16, but I thought it was dreadful and vowed never to go near his books again  :banghead:  :D

Oh really? Hmm... I have that book on my wishlist... Might have to remove it now :D 

Thanks - I still have a fair few to go, two of which I have given up on (the books that is, not the review). But I seem to be enjoying my more recent reads, so it's all picking up again. :boogie:

I'm glad to hear that last part :)!

Interesting! A lot of reviews said that No One Gets Out Alive was poor compared to his others, so I assumed his other books could only be an improvement. Guess I was wrong. :D  I know you can't always rely on Amazon reviews but Apartment 16 has lower averages than No One Gets Out Alive.  Don't think I'll bother with any of this others then. There are far too many books out there that I know I'll enjoy. :D

Interesting! A lot of reviews said that No One Gets Out Alive was poor compared to his others, so I assumed his other books could only be an improvement. Guess I was wrong. :D  I know you can't always rely on Amazon reviews but Apartment 16 has lower averages than No One Gets Out Alive.  Don't think I'll bother with any of this others then. There are far too many books out there that I know I'll enjoy. :D

My thoughts exactly! :D  There was a point where I was quite tempted by The Ritual but I managed to resist :giggle2:

I liked The Ritual. I didn't like the last third, or how it ended, it all got quite silly and bizzare, but the actual writing of the first two thirds kept me turning pages and the creep factor was high. Then again I find woods scary anyway, so that probably helped terrify me :lol: