• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Books Purchased This Year

Look - it's blank! That won't last long. :giggle:

:giggle2:

What did you think of Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist?  I've had that on my shelf for a while (it was a World Book Night book which was how I acquired it) but I'm not sure it's something I will enjoy. 

Happy reading in 2015.  :)

Thanks Janet, you too. :smile:

I liked Let The Right One In, but it was different to what I was expecting. There is some very strong sexual content in the book that I was surprised to read in such detail, and the first time I came across it I was quite shocked. Aside from that, I liked the friendship that was building between the two young characters, as they were both outcasts and alone. If you start to read it, you will know quite early on whether it's to your tastes or not.

I shall eventually write up a proper review, when I get more time. I still haven't written up my final review for 2014 (Wuthering Heights)! :hide:

My reading seems to be going slow so far. :hide:  To be fair though, work has been horrendous. I've only been back there for a week, but it's been a very long week. :thud:

Ack! Stupid work getting in the way of life and hobbies  :angry:  C'mon, year-end results, where art thou? Hurry up!  :theboss:

I shall eventually write up a proper review, when I get more time. I still haven't written up my final review for 2014 (Wuthering Heights)! :hide:

Hey, only one review to go! :D No worries, you'll manage it just fine! 

Ack! Stupid work getting in the way of life and hobbies  :angry:  C'mon, year-end results, where art thou? Hurry up!  :theboss:

Year-end is mostly done with, but we have auditors in next month, and I also have to train someone new next week (which always makes me nervous :icon_eek: ). It's never ending, but at least it's the weekend, and I can relax and catch up with reading. :yes:

Hey, only one review to go! :D No worries, you'll manage it just fine!

:boogie: I hope so! :giggle: I keep postponing it, but I just need to get on with it. :drama:

Year-end is mostly done with, but we have auditors in next month, and I also have to train someone new next week (which always makes me nervous :icon_eek: ). It's never ending, but at least it's the weekend, and I can relax and catch up with reading. :yes:

Training a new one can be exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. One has no idea what type of person's coming in and one has to remember a lot of things, things that are ingrained in oneself for having been there, done that, but that the new person is unaware of. I hope it goes well! :) And yes, 'tis the lovely weekend! :D  :readingtwo: 

:boogie: I hope so! :giggle: I keep postponing it, but I just need to get on with it. :drama:

That is usually the case, of just getting oneself to sit down and do it. Once it's started, it'll come out and then one's done with it! The start or the idea of having to start is always the worst...  :hide:  But you can do it! Think of how liberated you will feel afterwards! I was in heaven after I'd written the odd thirty reviews in two days :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling overwhelmed by my TBR lists, so have put together a mini-plan of books to read next (in no particular order):

The Giver - Lois Lowry

Life: An Unauthorised Biography - Richard Fortey

No One Gets Out Alive - Adam Nevill

Misery - Stephen King

Supersense - Bruce Hood

Sworn Secret - Amanda Jennings

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller

A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron

The Dinner - Herman Koch

The Mangle Street Murders - M.R.C Kasasian

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

Shopped: The Shocking Power of British Supermarkets - Joanna Blythman

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs The Climate - Naomi Klein

As for writing reviews.....well, that's another story entirely. :blush2:  :giggle2:

Edited by bobblybear

Feeling overwhelmed by my TBR lists, so have put together a mini-plan of books to read next (in no particular order):

The Giver - Lois Lowry

Life: An Unauthorised Biography - Richard Fortey

No One Gets Out Alive - Adam Nevill

Misery - Stephen King

Supersense - Bruce Hood

Sworn Secret - Amanda Jennings

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller

A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron

The Dinner - Herman Koch

The Mangle Street Murders - M.R.C Kasasian

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

Shopped: The Shocking Power of British Supermarkets - Joanna Blythman

As for writing reviews.....well, that's another story entirely. :blush2:  :giggle2:

Hmm sounds like you need a book jar. ;):D   I've heard good things about a few in your list but I can personally recommend A Dog's Purpose which is lovely. I have just read the sequel, A Dog's Journey, which was pretty good but the first was definitely the best. :)

I have thought about the book jar thing, but the idea of writing out 300 book titles just doesn't appeal to me. :giggle2:  I look forward to reading A Dog's Purpose, but I'm always somewhat put off by animal stories as they just never seem to have happy endings. :hide:

I've decided to add another book to my mini-plan:

I have thought about the book jar thing, but the idea of writing out 300 book titles just doesn't appeal to me. :giggle2:  I look forward to reading A Dog's Purpose, but I'm always somewhat put off by animal stories as they just never seem to have happy endings. :hide:

I've decided to add another book to my mini-plan:

I'm the same, I'm very careful about what dog books I read.. I've never even wanted to try Marley & Me!.. but this one is a little different, it did have a couple of sad parts but they were okay, and very natural to a dogs life. They also meant Obi got more cuddles after! :)

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Oskar, is a 12 year old boy who is bullied and picked on by his school mates. He has very few friends, and has learned to live in a bit of fantasy world in his head, which is occasionally violent and where Oskar can have his revenge on those who make his life miserable.

One day he meets a young girl called Eli, in the playground outside his apartment – she is maybe 14 years old – and a tentative friendships starts. At the same time in their town several violent murders have been taking place. We are soon told (this is not a spoiler as it's mentioned in the blurb on the back of the book) that Eli is a 200 year old vampire, and is responsible (in some ways indirectly) for these murders.

I liked the book, and it was different to what I was expecting. There were some very creepy and horror filled moments, but it’s fundamentally a story of strong friendship between two children (well, Eli isn’t really a child :blush2: ) who don’t fit in (for very different reasons), set against a dark and atmospheric background. There are some brutally frank references to paedophilia which took me by surprise, as it’s not something I have ever come across so graphically in any books I have read.

The thing I liked most is that it’s a vampire story that doesn’t glorify vampires, as far too many of those novels these days do.

The book itself is split into short chapters and sections which made it easy to read if you can only pick it up for a few moments.

Recommended.

4/6

Good luck with your mini-plan :)! I hope they are great reads :). You have some titles on there that are on my TBR. I liked The Dinner or Het Diner as I read the Dutch original, but there were others on the forum who liked it less. I hope you will like that one when you read it :).

The Dinner is the only one on my mini-plan that I'm "worried" about. In fact I debated whether I should put in on there at all, as I thought it might kill my mojo if I don't like it. But then I told myself to stop being silly, and if I don't like it I can just stop reading it. :blink:  But who knows.....I may be one of those people that really like it! :smile:

The Dinosaur Hunters - Deborah Cadbury

This was an exhaustive look at the characters and events involved in the first discoveries of dinosaur fossils.

The book opens with the very well-known Mary Anning and her discovery of the first complete dinosaur fossil, the ichthyosaurus in 1811. At the time it was unlike anything seen before and provoked much excitement and debate in scientific circles. Most of the debate was caused by the literal interpretation of the Bible still being the accepted one, and the struggle of how these creatures fit in without contradicting the accepted beliefs.

Fossil hunting and analysis was very popular, especially with the privileged men who had the luxury of spare time to dedicate to it. One of the main players in this new study was Gideon Mantell, who was not of a privileged background, and actually had to work for a living. His day job was as a doctor, but in his spare time he had an obsessive fascination with fossils, often working on them until the early hours of the morning. His desire was to be accepted into the prestigious Royal Society, and he fought for this honor through his discoveries and studies for many, many years.

His nemesis was Richard Owen, a famed anatomist, and also depicted as a nasty brutish man, reveling in the downfall of others, and not hesitating to steal the work of other scientists to advance his own affairs. His obsession to be the best put him at odds with Mantell, and he became devoted to destroying Mantell, in order to be the most successful fossil hunter.

Both of these characters are given the most time in the book, and while their rivalry is noted throughout, it doesn't overbear on the many other events that are happening in parallel. Their story is probably the most interesting, not necessarily because of the rivalry, but because they were both so driven and pushing so hard for their findings to be published and accepted, over the other.

The book carries on to the time when Darwin released his On The Origin of Species in 1859, which of course caused tremendous uproar (within Darwin himself, who was very religious). This was a turning point in this history, and also lead to the downward slide of Richard Owen, and somewhat of a slow vindication of those who he opposed.

This was where the book ends, but I wished it had carried on, and to be honest I could have carried on reading much longer, it was that good. The subject matter has certainly piqued my interest, as has resulted in me bumping up some of the science books on my TBR pile.

It's one of the best non-fiction books I have read. It’s well written, focuses on the characters as well as the science, and tells a very interesting story.

I've added the author's other books to my wishlist, as they seem to be something that I would also enjoy (Kraft's takeover of Cadbury, the engineering wonders of the world, and the space race).

5/6

But who knows.....I may be one of those people that really like it! :smile:

I do hope you will be! If not, there are plenty of other books to be found that you'll hopefully enjoy.

I would recommend other Dutch words if you're interested particularly in them, but I'm not sure which books, out of my favourites and those I think you'd like, have been translated into English.

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

She’s Come Undone tells the story of the colourful and painful life of Dolores Price. The book follows her from the age of five in the 1950’s, growing up in a fractured household, until she is in her mid to late 30s.

Dolores isn’t always the nicest character, but she is an honest and interesting person to follow. She experiences several traumatic events in her life, which seems to be forever spiraling out of control. As a result she finds comfort in food, and at her heaviest weighs 257 pounds. There is then a turning point in her life (which I don't want to give away), in which she is forced to begin a slow process of recovery.

I thought the book was very well written, with Dolores being a very well developed character; I think most people can relate to some part of her life at least. It’s a story of growth and overcoming obstacles, and even though Dolores can be a pain, you still want her to finally be happy with herself and her life. For the most part it was easy to read, but some of the subject matter can be quite harsh.

This was a re-read, but because it’s been well over 10 years since I read it, it was like reading it for the first time. I know I had forgotten a lot about it, but I think I appreciated it a lot more reading it as an adult, and I know there were things that I just didn't appreciate or understand about Dolores when I read it in my early twenties.

Highly recommended.

5/6

Just One Damned Thing After Another - Jodi Taylor

St Mary’s Institute of Historical Research is a secret organisation that has solved the mystery of time travel. In it's employ are historians who are tasked with traveling back to significant events in history to resolve any discrepancies (purely to observe what really happened, and report back).

Our main character, Miss Maxwell is recruited to their organisation and takes it all in her stride. She’s a likeable main character, witty and sharp and makes an engaging character to follow.

The story itself is a great deal of fun; there's no serious discussion about time-travel, it's pure adventure and fun. There are probably numerous plot holes, but it's not a book to be analysed in any great depth, it's just one to be enjoyed (and enjoyable it is :D ). It's very easy to read, has just the right balance of humor and adventure. The only thing which threw me a little was trying to keep up with the time scales. I don't mean about the time-travel parts, but rather how long Maxwell has spent at the Institute. At one point I thought she had been there for approximately 4 months, but then there was reference to her having been there for a couple of years. There are large gaps in the time frames, but to be honest that's only a very minor quibble.

There are quite a few books in the series (the fifth book is due to be released this year) and I will most definitely be reading the others.

4/6

The Giver - Lois Lowry

The Giver is set within a dystopian society, presumably in the future, though this isn't explicitly mentioned.

Children are grouped by their ages (ie. Jonas, the main character is one of the Elevens, about to be a Twelve), with set roles and responsibilities at each stage of their lives. The Community is where they all live, in fabricated families – people put together after careful observation - designed by what the Elders believe will work most successfully.

At Twelve, children are assigned to their future permanent role within the Community and this will be their role for the rest of their lives,. They can be a Childbearer,  Engineers, or Labourers, plus numerous others. Jonas, is chosen to be the Receiver, which is a highly exalted role, and the only one that exists within the society. His role entails being the keeper of the memories, from generations and generations before, and it is The Giver who passes them on to him, via a physical touch.

Jonas’ eyes are opened about the society he lives in, and with access to these memories, he begins to question the way of life of the Community he is a part of.

This is a young adult book, which I didn’t realise, and so it's pretty easy to read. I finished it in a few hours. There is a lot of depth to the story, and it is one which would benefit from a re-read. I can see why it is discussed in schools, as it's a very thought-provoking book, and probably the kind of book I would have really enjoyed as a teenager.

It’s very different to what I expected (prior to reading comments on this forum), and I think the hideously dull cover (with the old man) makes it look like a hideously dull book (if one judges books by their cover :P  :blush2: ), and is a big part of why I had not picked it up earlier.

Highly recommended, and one I will definitely revisit.

5/6

I've got She's Come Undone on my library list - good to hear that you liked that one  :smile: . You see to be on a roll with good books at the moment  :readingtwo:

I know, I was thinking that as I've been writing up reviews. I've had such a great reading month. :D