Bobblybear's Book List - 2015

bobblybear

I'm glad you enjoyed the novel! I'm curious, what did you think about the ending? Did you like it or dislike it? People seem to have rather mixed feelings about it. Or polarized views, more like it.

Bearing in mind it's been about a month since I finished it, and so many have forgotten a bit of it ( :blush2: ), I liked it. I was a bit surprised by the way it went, but it was just as quirky as the rest of the book so I think it fit in well.

She must have a very poor editor and publishing team with very poor sense of humor! I mean even if she's the one behind the poor jokes, somebody should've caught on and told her to knock it off!

Poor Denmark, Denmark deserves better publicity! Or publicity that's not as poorly delivered!!

I think she was trying to be another Bill Bryson or something....but the difference is that he is genuinely funny (and seemingly without trying to be), whereas she wasn't. :banghead:

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wild: A Journey From Lost To Found - Cheryl Strayed

I loved this one. Initially, from the opening chapters I thought the author had a flair for being overly dramatic, but after a while I really got to enjoy her ways. She's very honest and describes things with no judgement, and doesn't hold back or censor herself and I think that's what appealed.

Although a relatively recent book, her actual trek was in 1992, following the death of her mother which led her into a downward spiral, including dabbling in heroin. In an effort to save herself, Cheryl decided - pretty much on a whim - to hike solo along the Pacific Coast trail, which is approximately 1,100 miles. Her bravery is just astonishing, and maybe there is naïvety and too much trust in other people, but I couldn't fathom doing what she did. Although she grew up in a very rural area, she had no experience of hiking, but in her mind she had nothing to lose from it, and desperately needed to do something to break free from her downward spin.

She describes every aspect of the walk - her ridiculously over stuffed rucksack (until one of the people she met on the trail, helped her pare it down a bit), the many people she met along the trail, the loss of her toenails (so gross!), the joy of coming to the next town to pick up her pre-delivered box of items to see her through to the next leg. Interspersed with this, she went back into her past, and her relationship with her mother, brother and husband.

I enjoyed reading all of it. I love a nice walk across the moors, but my longest walk has been 8 miles, and I have never camped overnight. And when I finish my walk, I go home, have a hot shower and slob out on the comfy sofa. So, I can understand the enjoyment in just walking in nature, but to do 1,100 miles of it solo is another thing all together.

I haven't watched the movie. I will keep an eye out for it to come out on Netflix, but I don't want it to sour the book for me and

I hope the part about the botched shooting of the horse isn't in there.

5.5/6

Bearing in mind it's been about a month since I finished it, and so many have forgotten a bit of it ( :blush2: ), I liked it. I was a bit surprised by the way it went, but it was just as quirky as the rest of the book so I think it fit in well.

I think the one thing that polarized people is whether

the Dad of that certain person (can't remember who it was :blush::giggle: ) was right in letting them make said person into a vampire to save that person's life. At least that's what I believe people took issue with: some didn't like it, or thought it plausible. I personally liked it, because the Dad being against it would've been such an obvious plot twist. Him agreeing to it and living with the consequences with no problems was very unique, and I really liked that twist :) Glad you did, too! It was definitely very surprising :D  

It was a girl from school - I think the Radley son fancied her? If I remember correctly, didn't the Dad end up drinking the blood, in order to become a vampire too? Oh, actually now I remember - he was a disgraced policeman whose wife was killed by the Radley brother, and he had followed the Radleys in order to track his wife's killer.

It was a girl from school - I think the Radley son fancied her? If I remember correctly, didn't the Dad end up drinking the blood, in order to become a vampire too? Oh, actually now I remember - he was a disgraced policeman whose wife was killed by the Radley brother, and he had followed the Radleys in order to track his wife's killer.

Oh wow, I didn't remember any of the latter parts :lol: The ones I've boldened in your spoiler :lol: Shame on me! 

The Radleys - Matt Haig

The blurb about the book doesn't give much away but virtually all the reviews (even the official ones) on Amazon do. It's a shame, because I think the opening few chapters are much more interesting if you go into them blind like I did.

Great review of The Radleys.   :)   I hadn't a clue what it was about (the audio book version says very little on the back too) - it wouldn't have been the same if I'd known.   :)  

I'm intrigued as to what Matt Haig is like as a person now - I might have to follow him on Twitter for a while (although I'm a *very* sporadic user these days) just to get a taste of him!  :lol:

I'm intrigued as to what Matt Haig is like as a person now - I might have to follow him on Twitter for a while (although I'm a *very* sporadic user these days) just to get a taste of him!  :lol:

Try Reasons to Stay Alive.

Yeah, I have heard that this is the book that has turned a lot of people against him. Something to do with his opinion on medication for anxiety/depression?? :dunno: I'll have a read of that, but I'll wait till I can find it at the library.

I didn't like him on Twitter because he ranted like a petulant child. I haven't read Reasons To Stay Alive, which I probably should, given my anxiety. I've never taken any form of medication though (I'm indifferent to it) so I'm not sure what my reaction to the book would be.

Ok, I might have stated this in my review, but I don't like his... I don't want to spoil it, but I will just say I don't appreciate his views on environmental effects on depression and the way he negates mental health.  Still, it is his story, so if you want to know more about him, I highly suggest it. 

:lol: Nevermind, I do that with loads of books. It's amazing I remembered that much about it, really!  :ontome:

:lol: It happens all too often, unfortunately... :giggle: 

I've been hearing on the forum about Haig's tweets but personally I haven't let that bother me :shrug: I hope you don't either, at least not until you've read The Last Family in England :giggle::lol: 

Ok, I might have stated this in my review, but I don't like his... I don't want to spoil it, but I will just say I don't appreciate his views on environmental effects on depression and the way he negates mental health.  Still, it is his story, so if you want to know more about him, I highly suggest it. 

Will you summarise what he says in spoiler tags? Books like that can't really be 'spoiled' for me, and having a better idea of what he says will either compel me to pick it up sooner or avoid it for good.

Will you summarise what he says in spoiler tags? Books like that can't really be 'spoiled' for me, and having a better idea of what he says will either compel me to pick it up sooner or avoid it for good.

Sure :)

He believes that "some people may" have bi polar or chronic depression, but that they can be cured (like him) by changing the environmental effects of ones life- no negative people, less stress, looking at the world in a "brighter" way and by not taking medication. His stance on medication is somewhat misinformed by some, as he does advocate being "high" on life by itself, but he does say that certain people do need drugs, just that there are other alternatives. Which can be seen as dismissive to people that are actually mentally ill.

Sure :)

He believes that "some people may" have bi polar or chronic depression, but that they can be cured (like him) by changing the environmental effects of ones life- no negative people, less stress, looking at the world in a "brighter" way and by not taking medication. His stance on medication is somewhat misinformed by some, as he does advocate being "high" on life by itself, but he does say that certain people do need drugs, just that there are other alternatives. Which can be seen as dismissive to people that are actually mentally ill.

I read a book a bit like that once.

By an Irish DJ named Gareth O'Callaghan. For most of his book, describing depression, I could relate to a lot of what he was saying, but towards the end he started going on about a higher power helping him overcome it and I was like, that's great, but that is NOT going to work for everyone.

I read a book a bit like that once.

By an Irish DJ named Gareth O'Callaghan. For most of his book, describing depression, I could relate to a lot of what he was saying, but towards the end he started going on about a higher power helping him overcome it and I was like, that's great, but that is NOT going to work for everyone.

I'm kind of going through that with the book I am currently reading.

where she goes through AA/NA and "must submit to God" for help. That's not for everyone either, but she doesn't come about it with a high and mighty peaching way, unlike Haig, who almost makes you feel like you are exaggerating when you have a mental illness.

I originally really liked Reasons to Stay Alive, because I liked style of the book -  it felt like sitting down and having a chat with someone. I think it's always helpful when you listen to someone and start to realise others think and feel the same as you. However, I wasn't very happy with his attitude towards antidepressants, but could overlook it. However, he didn't come across very well on twitter, and I now have quite a negative view of him.. but I couldn't really put my finger on exactly why, or explain why. (Sorry, not helpful!)

Death Descends on Saturn Villa - M R C Kasasian

Finally, I am doing my last review of 2015. :thud:  I ended the year on a bit of a disappointing read. I loved the first book of the Gower Street series, thought the second one was good, but I struggled with this one. I didn't have massively high hopes for it, as I had read a few critical comments about it.

My main problem (and there were a few), was that the dialogue between the characters (mainly when Sidney Grice was speaking) was forced and contrived. There seemed to be more dialogue with Sidney insulting Molly, than any actual story, and it was overdone and unnecessary. We know Sidney Grice is obnoxious, and can accept him in small doses, but it's too much when all we hear is insult after insult, and not much "detective-ing". It felt like the book should be renamed "How Many Ways Can Sidney Insult Molly?"  :sarcastic:  And when there was some story-telling relating to the plot, it was very waffly and convoluted, and by the time it was put together at the end I really didn't care. I was just reading it to finish it. :sarcastic: The method of story telling changed as well, with March absent for a great deal of the book and the story told through Sidney Grice's own words. This took a bit of getting used to, and this combined with the other points I mentioned above, just made it all a bit of a jumbled mess.

It's a shame, but I think the author has taken a good thing and gone too far with it. I don't think I shall be rushing out to get the next in the series.

1.5/6

You've made it further into the Gower Street series than I have!  I've given up after the second book, as I just found that neither Sidney nor March quite rang true to me.  The crime stories themselves were ok, but not enough to keep me interested in the series.  Sounds like I've made a good decision! :D

Yeah, I think you made the right decision! You didn't miss much by not reading this one. It's a shame, because the first book was so engaging and funny and original, but the other two just got carried away with the whole March/Sidney banter, instead of telling a decent story.