Laura's Reading List 2015

nursenblack

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you enjoyed A Game of Thrones :). I can understand that it's not as interesting to read if you've already seen the TV show, and vice versa. This is very true. I usually leave a little bit of time between the book and the film / TV show, because if it's really close then I'll get annoyed at all the differences, but if it's too far away then I'll not remember much of the one I read or saw first and then I can't compare them as much. If that makes sense?

bored with people who never read fantasy saying it's the 'best thing evah!'

I don't get that at all! That's just annoying.

I've been watching Game of Thrones, and I own the books but haven't read them yet. Even though I know what to expect from the books, I'm hoping I'll still really enjoy the 'journey' (otherwise I'll have wasted a lot of money!).

I've been watching Game of Thrones, and I own the books but haven't read them yet. Even though I know what to expect from the books, I'm hoping I'll still really enjoy the 'journey' (otherwise I'll have wasted a lot of money!).

Well I binged-watched Game of Thrones from season one to four over my Christmas break, and when I was finished I really missed the characters.  I checked out the book on the kindle within a couple of days after that.  Surprisingly, I kinda loved knowing what the characters were going to say and do, and that made me appreciate how true to the book the TV series is.

Well I binged-watched Game of Thrones from season one to four over my Christmas break, and when I was finished I really missed the characters.  I checked out the book on the kindle within a couple of days after that.  Surprisingly, I kinda loved knowing what the characters were going to say and do, and that made me appreciate how true to the book the TV series is.

That's great to hear! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Feb. 6th

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (via Kindle per library loan)

41wEaK2iy2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

synopsis from goodreads.com

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.

my review

John Green's novels are infectious, and I definitely mean that in a good way.  An Abundance of Katherines meets all the standards of a great YA story, friendship, romance, and a self-discovery road trip. But Green weaves this tale it in such a weird and unique way that I felt like I hadn't read this formula before.  Speaking of formulas, I'm not a math person at all, but I wasn't bothered by all the math and formulas because it revealed how Colin's mind works.  Colin was, however, my least favorite character.  His obliviousness annoyed me, but I get that that was the point.  I did absolutely love Hassan and thought that he was the ultimate scene stealer.  (4/5)

I forgot you were doing the Kindle Library Loan program!  How is it going?

lol about Hassan being the scene stealer.  I loved the book  :wub:  (was my favorite read of last year) but so far, haven't really gotten into John Green yet.  I tried Paper Towns but it didn't really catch with me, I liked the movie for The Fault in Our Stars though, but I am a big Shailene Woodley fan :smile:  Might try Paper Towns again, as now my reading has come back a bit.

I forgot you were doing the Kindle Library Loan program!  How is it going?

lol about Hassan being the scene stealer.  I loved the book  :wub:  (was my favorite read of last year) but so far, haven't really gotten into John Green yet.  I tried Paper Towns but it didn't really catch with me, I liked the movie for The Fault in Our Stars though, but I am a big Shailene Woodley fan :smile:  Might try Paper Towns again, as now my reading has come back a bit.

Paper Towns is my next on the John Green to-do-list.

Well, the Kindle Library Loan is only one book per month, I think, for being a Prime member. I have one checked out right now.  But this book was a kindle loan through the library where I live, and there is no limit per month, only 10 at once limit.

• 1 month later...

Gees, I can't believe how behind I have gotten AGAIN, but this is me I'm talking about.  Anyway, here are some of the books I've read with short reviews.

7#  Blue Christmas by Mary Kay Andrews .  This was an easy, fun Christmas mystery.  A perfect snowy day read if your in the mood for a mash-up of those two elements. (3/5)

#8 Splintered by A.G. Howard-  Besides the cool cover, I really loved this dark and modern take on Alice In Wonderland.  I thought the idea of Alice having descendants that also go down the rabbit hole was a unique and well done concept.  Splintered defies the traditional Wonderland by warping it and the characters.  I need to get my hands on the second book in the series.  (4/5)

51L9OpRzjIL._AA160_.jpg

#9 Wreckage by Emily Bleeker.  I was pleasantly surprised by this debut novel about a small group of strangers who wind up on a deserted island after their plane crashes.  The chapters switch between Lillian and Dave, each one revealing their life before, during, and after the crash.The secrets they hide kept me turning the page, and I found myself involved and invested in these characters.  Definitely one of the best books I've read so far this year, and I highly recommend it. (5/5)

#10 The Man in the Window by Jon Cohen.  I really enjoyed this tale about the odd friendship of a man disfigured from a fire, who never leaves his home, and frumpy nurse who works at a local hospital.  I absolutely loved the characters and the exceptional way the story unfolds.  I can't say a lot plot twists and turns happen, but what does happen is a beautiful and sometimes sad look at human nature. (4/5)

A few more reviews to come, but The Walking Dead is about to start in a few minutes.  I will try to finish catching up tomorrow,

#10 The Man in the Window by Jon Cohen.  I really enjoyed this tale about the odd friendship of a man disfigured from a fire, who never leaves his home, and frumpy nurse who works at a local hospital.  I absolutely loved the characters and the exceptional way the story unfolds.  I can't say a lot plot twists and turns happen, but what does happen is a beautiful and sometimes sad look at human nature. (4/5)

I really like the sound of this, it's going on my wishlist! :smile2: 

You've intrigued me with The Man in the Window … but it doesn't seem to be available over here.

Wreckage and The Man In The Window sound very interesting, but like as Claire says, it doesn't look like the latter is readily available here.

Oh, that's crappy!  Not even for the Kindle?  It was recommended by Nancy Pearl, the author of Book Lust, and she wrote the Introduction.   I figured anything she recommended would be available almost everywhere.  Well keep your eye out, you never know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just trying to catch up again. :P

Little Bee by Chris Cleave.  I really enjoyed this sad and beautiful novel.  Chapters alternate between Little Bee and Rachel, two very different characters, each telling their separate but very connected story.  An inspiring and heartbreaking novel that doesn't shy away from inhumanity. (5/5)

The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury.  This is not my usual read, but it was a book club pick, so there you go.  The story was an inspirational, quick read with an extremely cliche plot and characters.  The only character I believed was the store owner, Charlie because he was the only one with any human flaw.  There was one scene toward the end that saved this story from birdcage liner status.  (2/5)

The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell.  I really enjoyed this psychological, debut novel- I love debuts!  It's definitely a slow burn, but the narrator draws you into her world with expertise and keeps you guessing. (4/5)

Sailing to Capri by Elizabeth Adler.  I found this romance-mystery to be purely an escapism read.  Everything was just a little too perfect: the perfect friendship, the perfect and convent list of suspects, the perfect cruise to find the killer.  Sure the mystery was interesting at times, but the romance was lacking.  If you're ready for an easy, rainy day, perfectly laid out mystery, then this is it.  (2/5)

Wolf In White Van by John Darnielle.  I read this after hearing about it on a podcast and I'm glad I did.  Sean, a video game developer, reflects on his life before and after an incident that leaves his face disfigured. I don't want to reveal much else about the plot, but the writing is beautiful and sad. This is a quick and engrossing read that I think will stick with me for a while.  If your looking for something different and profound, give it a try. (4/5)

I remember reading Little Bee a few years ago (although its UK title is The Other Hand), and thought it was very good - I think I even made it one of my best books of that year.  I meant to read more of Cleave's work, but I haven't got round to it yet. :)

The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell.  I really enjoyed this psychological, debut novel- I love debuts!  It's definitely a slow burn, but the narrator draws you into her world with expertise and keeps you guessing. (4/5)

Oh wow! I coincidentally borrowed this book some time ago, I love typing and so the title caught my eye :blush: It's been on the shelf and so far haven't tried reading it, having too many other library loans to read through. I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed it, that definitely makes me more keen. I had a feeling it might be really good or really bad, so your review is very encouraging! :smile2: 

• 1 month later...

Bit behind again!  Have to play catch up.

#16  Paper Towns by John Green (YA) This is my second favorite John Green novel.  It has the same tone and teenage angst as the others I have read, but I found it pretty unique.  Enjoyable read.  I'm anxious to see how the movie turns out.  (4/5)

#17 The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins  I really enjoyed this suspenseful and dark novel.  Never quite sure what would happen because the narrator was perfectly unreliable (love those).  Also, there are a lot of comparisons to Gone Girl, but I don't see that at all.  (4/5)

#18  Five Days At Memorial by Sheri Fink (nonfiction)   Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a huge reader of nonfiction, but after hearing some reviews, I knew I had to read this.  This is the story of a New Orleans hospital, its staff and patients, during Hurricane Katrina, and the life altering decisions that were made in a world that felt nothing short of apocalyptic.  Memorial reads like a heart pounding thriller, but is all devastatingly true.  My only fault with it is it tends to veer off a bit a times.  (4.5/5)

#19  Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson.  This novel got my interest pretty early on and I thoroughly appreciated the twists and turns.  I really need to pick up more of Jackson's novels. (4/5)

#20 Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall (YA)   Sugar was a heartbreaking and also an uplifting novel for young adults and adults alike. It reminded me a lot of Push, but not nearly as disturbing and much more positive.  The story grabbed me from the beginning and I had to root for Sugar right away.  I could identify with Sugar's insane craving for sweets and her need to self comfort.  One of the most valuable YA novels I've read in a long time.  (4.5/5)

Edited by nursenblack

I didn't know Paper Towns was going to made into a movie. Should be interesting. I thought it was a quirky and original read.

I read it somewhere and then looked it up.  The movie trailer is already out.  Looks like the actors are not very well known, but the MC played Isaac in A Fault In Our Stars.