Laura's Reading List 2015

nursenblack

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Lets play catch up!

#21  Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum  ~ This was like a modern day Anna Karenina about marriage,affairs, loneliness and sex.  It was beautifully written and sad novel.  I had no real love for the characters though.  (3/5)

#22  Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (via Kindle per library loan) ~ I not really sure if this book is classified as romance/fantasy, historical/romance or a mixture of the two.  It is definitely one of the best "romance" novels I have ever read.  It is an epic adventure novel as well.  I do feel that it was a bit long and wordy in places, but an excellent read overall. There was one brutish/dominance incident that through me for a loop though, and those who have read it will no what "incident" I'm talking about.  (4/5)

#23 Alienated by Melissa Landers (audiobook)  ~ This YA had a pretty interesting concept: An alien exchange program.  Looking forward to what happens next (3.5/5)

#24 The Blondes by Emily Schultz (via Kindle per library loan) ~ The idea of a virus that only attacks blonde women is pretty unique idea for a novel.  The story though is more about the relationship between Hazel and her lover, and Hazel and her unborn baby.  The story was rather easy to get into, but I still kept longing for a bit more tension and thrills. (3/5)

I'm glad you liked Outlander, I hope to get to it this year. I've seen half of the first season of the TV show, so I think I'd know the story of about half of the book. I look forward to reading it, but there are so many books calling me..

I'm glad you liked Outlander, I hope to get to it this year. I've seen half of the first season of the TV show, so I think I'd know the story of about half of the book. I look forward to reading it, but there are so many books calling me..

I would love to watch the series, but I don't have STARZ.  Maybe I will cancel my HBO and catch up with the On Demand.

I would love to watch the series, but I don't have STARZ.  Maybe I will cancel my HBO and catch up with the On Demand.

We have it on HBO here in the Netherlands. I've seen half of season one (and then our satellite broke). I liked it, but I think I'd like the book even more (but that's usually the case, isn't it.. :P).

The Girl on the Train is high up on my wish list! I've also heard the comparisons to Gone Girl, which I liked OK, but couldn't get through all the way. I'm glad to hear from you that it's not exactly the same. :)

The Girl on the Train is high up on my wish list! I've also heard the comparisons to Gone Girl, which I liked OK, but couldn't get through all the way. I'm glad to hear from you that it's not exactly the same. :)

For some reason "the new Gone Girl" is such a popular tagline.  I have seen several books over the last couple of years that are compared to Gone Girl.  While I did love Gone Girl  I think comparisons like that can be very misleading.  I don't mind occasional comparisons based on style, tone, etc., but it's really getting on my nerves that every new psychological thriller that comes out is labeled that way.

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

7114761.jpg

This novel was a far cry away from the impressiveness of Something Borrowed. I felt that the characters were not relatable and not likable. Even the cameos of some favorite character's from Something Borrowed couldn't save this one. (1/5)

For some reason "the new Gone Girl" is such a popular tagline.  I have seen several books over the last couple of years that are compared to Gone Girl.  While I did love Gone Girl  I think comparisons like that can be very misleading.  I don't mind occasional comparisons based on style, tone, etc., but it's really getting on my nerves that every new psychological thriller that comes out is labeled that way.

I also really dislike it when that happens! A lot of newer dystopian books have also been labeled as 'the new Hunger Games', it's annoying and stupid that such things happen.

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

7114761.jpg

This novel was a far cry away from the impressiveness of Something Borrowed. I felt that the characters were not relatable and not likable. Even the cameos of some favorite character's from Something Borrowed couldn't save this one. (1/5)

Wow, it's such a shame :(. I have both of those on my TBR, I shall be starting with Something Borrowed, then! I have read Baby Proof by the same author, I liked it but didn't love it.

The Devil's Back by Marie Parsons

25035217.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

Set in Eastern Kentucky a few years after the infamous Hatfield-McCoy feud, The Devil's Back appeals to a variety of readers. Romantics will find its May-December love story irresistible. Thrill-seekers will delight in its depiction of a daring steamboat race, a home invasion, and a hanging. And linguists will find its use of the Appalachian dialect authentic, charming, and rich in imaginative figures of speech like "cold as a cow's tit in an ice storm." This novel has a number of lovable characters, among them, the protagonists, Adam and Laurey, as well as characters the reader will love to hate, such as Josh Liggins and Claude Thurston. But there are no stereotypical characters in the cast - - all are very human, partaking of good and bad qualities to varying degrees. In the tradition of Lee Smith and Robert Morgan, Parsons has added another gem to Appalachian literature.

my review

I really enjoyed this Appalachian novel, set in the early 1900's in eastern Kentucky, about marriage and family relationships. Parsons truly captures the distinctive dialogue of the area, and I could hear each character as if they were in the same room with me. The story is told from four different characters perspectives and I really liked getting a look into their perspective and motives. Great debut!  (5/5)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see that you loved Marie Parsons' The Devil's Back :smile:  - and it has intrigued me too! :D  Definately this book is on the wish list, or even Kindle list....

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit behind again.  These are what I've read since July:

Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult -The beginning was promising, but what began as whimsical and intriguing became whiny and pathetic. Definitely not what I had in mind for my first Jodi Picoult novel but I'm not dissuaded yet. (2/5)

The Coal Tattoo by Silas House- The story of two sisters, different as daylight from dark, coming of age in rural Appalachian and starting their adult lives.  A thoroughly enjoyable novel about the bond and struggle of sisters. (4/5)

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie (YA)- I thought this was a really interesting take on a haunted house story.  The first quarter of this novel was surprisingly scary, especially for a YA. The rest was a paranormal mystery that kept me reading at a fast pace until the very last word.  (4/5)

I started on Gray Mountain by John Grisham back in July, but could only make it half way before giving up.

Hmmm, The Devils Back sounds like a book I would enjoy. I am putting it on my "soon" TBR list.

btw, how close do you live to Mammoth Cave? (For those that don't know, Mammoth Cave is the largest cave, by far, in the world. It consists of over 400 miles of caves).

Edit : I found on Amazon that a sample of the first 400 "kindle" pages of The Devil's Back can be downloaded free. I have done so and will start reading it soon. :)

Edited by muggle not

It's a shame Harvesting the Heart wasn't a good read for you. I haven't read that one, so I couldn't comment on it. I like most of Jodi Picoult's books that I've read so far, I hope the next one you pick up by her (if you do) will be one you enjoy more.

Hmmm, The Devils Back sounds like a book I would enjoy. I am putting it on my "soon" TBR list.

btw, how close do you live to Mammoth Cave? (For those that don't know, Mammoth Cave is the largest cave, by far, in the world. It consists of over 400 miles of caves).

Edit : I found on Amazon that a sample of the first 400 "kindle" pages of The Devil's Back can be downloaded free. I have done so and will start reading it soon. :)

It's about 4 to 4 1/2 hrs away from me.  The hubby and I went there several years ago.

• 1 month later...

I'm behind again.  And for some reason, my unintentional theme for September seemed to be underage girls consumed by sexual desire.

The Yonahlosse Riding Camp by Anton Disclafani - I really enjoyed this coming of age novel about a teenage girl who is sent away to a riding camp after a secret family tragedy during The Great Depression.  I loved the story, the tone, and the passion.  Don't let "coming of age" fool you, this one is risque and very grown up. (5/5)

How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran - I fell in love with this quirky tale and fourteen year old narrator, Johanna Morrigan, right away.  She tries to save her family from financial ruin by becoming a writer and trying to reinvent her self.  This novel is genuinely funny, and I found myself laughing out loud.  Another fabulous book written about teens, but probably not written for teens.  (4/5)

Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve- I'm at a bit of a lose as how to describe this novel.  I read the novel after hearing it was inspired by Wuthering Heights, but other than the use of setting and scenery, I didn't see much comparison.  However, I did enjoy the book and felt that it's only flaw was the start of romance.  The beginning of the relationship between Olympia and Haskell seemed too rushed and unlikely.  The giant age gap didn't help matters.  I think I could have liked it more if I didn't have preconceived notions. (3/5)

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin - This novel took an interesting view of Lewis Carroll and the Liddell Family, and expertly speculates on what actually caused the rift between them.  I can't say I'm normally a huge historical fiction fan, but literary historical fiction is another story all together.  I really liked how Benjamin weaved well facts with fiction. A must for Lewis Carroll fans.  (4/5)

Dark Witch by Nora Roberts - I thought the premise of this novel sounded like good a spooky read for October.  I haven't read much by Roberts, but thought this would be a nice introduction to Halloween.  I really enjoyed the first quarter of the novel, but the story pretty much dragged after that.  The same drama and tension that grabbed me at the beginning didn't last.   I really don't see myself picking up the rest of the series.  (2/5)

Finished Oct 9th

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill  (via Kindle per library loan)

5100ObUIcHL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Synopsis from amazon.com

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

My review

I have to go ahead and reveal that I absolutely loved this horror novel.  It is definitely my favorite read of the year so far, which really does surprise me because horror is not my usual type of book.  However, it's time for Halloween and I was in search of something scary but well written.  I found both of those attributes in NOS4A2.  I had no idea what the novel was about or how long it was (a whopping 995 pages), but once I began I could hardly put it down.  I thought it was very well paced and never ever dragged.  The heroin, Vic McQueen saved room for me on her bike and shared with me her adventures and nightmares.  This is an epic, must read for horror lovers or for those that want an exciting, scary read for Halloween.  (5/5)

I would also like to mention that I think NOS4A2 is a bit of a wink from Joe Hill to dear old dad (Stephen King).  There are a few subtle references to King's work, which I won't mention here.  You'll have to read it to find them.