Laura's Reading List 2015

nursenblack

Nursenblack's (Laura's) Reading List 2015

This years reading goal: 40 books (I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but in 2014 I only read 34!)

Rating Scale (1-5)

1) Awful. Only fit for a birdcage liner

2) So so. Probably will not recommend

3) I liked it okay, but it was lacking

4) Enjoyable read. Will recommend

5) I loved it!  Will shout it from the rooftops!

TBR Books (Owned-Physical Books)

Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev  YA

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare YA

The Land of Stories:The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer  Children's

Dark Places by Gillian Glynn

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente  Children's
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs YA
Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted  YA
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier  YA
The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw
Anita and Me by M. Syal  YA
Jasmyn by Alex Bell
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey  YA
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
Kafka By the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen YA
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause YA
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors YA

Wither by Lauren DeStefano YA

Amelia Anne Is Dead and Gone by Kate Rosenfield  YA

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Anthropology of An American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann

The Bloody Chamber (short stories) by Angela Carter

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor

Slated by Teri Terry  YA

The Eternal Ones by Kristen Miller  YA

All You Desire by Kristen Miller  YA

Me & Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter

Transgression by Sarah Dunant

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck  YA

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Ransom by Julie Garwood

The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman

The Body in The Library by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair At Styles by Agatha Christie

Heaven by V.C Andrews  YA

Ruby by V.C. Andrews  YA

Long Man by Amy Greene

The Cave, The Cabin & The Tattoo Man by Tim Callahan

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson  YA

A Song For Summer by Eva Ibbotson  YA

Griffin's Castle by Jenny Nimmo  Children's

Temptation by R.L. Stine  YA

The Boy In Striped Pajamas by John Boyne  YA

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl Children's

Mrs. Darcy and The Blue-Eyed Stranger (short stories) by Lee Smith

Same Sun Here by Silas House & Neela Vaswani

Wuthering Heights: The Graphic Novel by Emily Bronte, Sean Michael Wilson, John M. Burns

Splintered by A.G. Howard YA

Murder on Sugar Creek by Michelle Goff  Read

Edited by nursenblack

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Wishlist  (In no particular order)

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

Eve by Anna Carey

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen

If Everyone Knew Every Plant and Tree by Julia C Johnston

Wuthering Heights: The Wild and Wanton Edition by Annabella Bloom, Emily Bronte

The House of Dead Maids by Clare B. Dunkle, Patrick Arrasmith

Fortune's Rock by Anita Shreve

Born of Illusion by Teri Brown Read

Say Her Name by James Dawson

One on One by Tabitha King

We Were Liars by E. Lockhar

The One & Only by Emily Giffin

The Vacationers by Emma Straub

Butter by Erin Jade Lange

Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer

Panic by Lauren Oliver

Fearsome Dreamer by Laure Eve

Under The Light by Laura Whitcomb

The Magic Circle by Donna Jo Napoli

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

What Was She Thinking? Notes On a Scandal by Zoë Heller

The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

Tideland by Mitch Cullin

Edited by nursenblack

In 2014 I didn't read a single classic.  These are the classics - what I consider classics anyways- I would like to read.  A couple of these I own.

Classics Wishlist

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald  (reread)

1984 by George Orwell

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Emma by Jane Austen TBR

The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins

Beloved by Toni Morrison

A Separate Peace by  John Knowles TBR

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey TBR

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess TBR

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote
Edited by nursenblack

Finished today Jan. 2nd

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters (read via Kindle per library loan)

41ZJ2k1I31L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

568 pages

synopsis from amazon.com

It is 1922, and London is tense. Ex-servicemen are disillusioned; the out-of-work and the hungry are demanding change. And in South London, in a genteel Camberwell villa—a large, silent house now bereft of brothers, husband, and even servants—life is about to be transformed as impoverished widow Mrs. Wray and her spinster daughter, Frances, are obliged to take in lodgers.
With the arrival of Lilian and Leonard Barber, a modern young couple of the “clerk class,” the routines of the house will be shaken up in unexpected ways. Little do the Wrays know just how profoundly their new tenants will alter the course of Frances’s life—or, as passions mount and frustration gathers, how far-reaching, and how devastating, the disturbances will be.
Short-listed for the Man Booker Prize three times, Sarah Waters has earned a reputation as one of our greatest writers of historical fiction, and here she has delivered again. A love story, a tension-filled crime story, and a beautifully atmospheric portrait of a fascinating time and place, The Paying Guests is Sarah Waters’s finest achievement yet.

my review

I had heard a lot of buzz about this novel and was compelled to pick it up.  I didn't really know what to expect, but my expectations were high.  Sadly, I was disappointed in this predictable tale that had a lackluster end.  The characters where not likeable at all and there was no one I could root for or rally behind at all.  I thought the story had all been done before with the only unique thing being the romance.   Nothing much happens for the first 150 pages- definitely a wordy, slow burner.

All that being, the writing was nice and Waters can tell a story well, even if it is an unsurprising story.  The dialog really put me in the scene and I enjoyed that most of all.

The Paying Guests was just okay and did not live up to the hype I've read about it.  I do like the Waters writing style, but haven't decided if I would pick up something else from her or not.  (3/5)

It's a shame you didn't enjoy The Paying Guests. I've only read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, and enjoyed it, but haven't been compelled to pick up any of her others (though I would if they were on offer).

You've got two really good ones on your TBR pile:

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I hope you enjoy these when you get to them.

Have a great reading year! :smile:

Happy Reading this year :)

Thank you!

It's a shame you didn't enjoy The Paying Guests. I've only read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, and enjoyed it, but haven't been compelled to pick up any of her others (though I would if they were on offer).

I hope you enjoy these when you get to them.

Have a great reading year! :smile:

I've really enjoyed Gillian Flynn's work so far.  I'm looking forward to Dark Places too.

Happy reading in 2015, Laura :)!

Thanks!  I hope this year is better than last, reading wise and otherwise.

Edited by nursenblack

Good review of The Paying Guest, Laura.  I've been a bit torn because of, as you mention, the hype surrounding it, but every time I'd read the synopsis I'd be put off.  You've gotten me off the fence! :)

Neat classics list.  Lolita is one of my all time favorites.  :)   I haven't read The Moonstone, but have read Collins's The Woman in White.  It's good, but too drawn out. I suppose that is on account of the way it was originally released.  But still. 

Edited by pontalba

I hope you have a great reading year in 2015, and I hope you manage your target number of books read! :smile2:  :readingtwo:

I'm going to be echoing bobbly: I've also only read Fingersmith by Waters but I really enjoyed it, so I think it's a shame you didn't enjoy The Paying Guests that much!  :empathy:

And Dark Places is a great read, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on that when you get to it :) And I started reading She's Come Undone last month and really enjoyed what I read, but had to put it down because of circumstances that had nothing to do with the novel. I think it'll be a great book when I get to it eventually, I hope you will enjoy it, too! :) 

Finished Jan 4th

Murder on Sugar Creek by Michelle Goff 

22913472.jpg

148 pages

synopsis from Goodreads.com

Mac Honaker begins his morning with an Iced Honey Bun, a cup of coffee, and a fatal shot to the chest. Mac’s murder stuns Sugar Creek, a small community nestled in the hills and hollows of eastern Kentucky. It also fuels Sugar Creek resident Maggie Morgan’s enthusiasm for true crime, but her interest turns personal when her brother’s childhood friend is arrested for the murder. Maggie dedicates herself to proving his innocence, which puts her in contact with her ex-fiancé the police detective just as she starts a new romance. As Maggie pieces the clues together, an unflattering picture of Mac emerges and she comes to the realization that her brother’s friend might not be so innocent after all.

my review

Murder on Sugar Creek is a quick and easy, cozy mystery set in a fictional town of eastern Kentucky.  The pace picks up half way through, and I found myself really wanting to find out who did it.  The story is dialog driven and it gets a little unnatural at times making it hard to focus, but that was my only qualm.  I enjoyed Maggie Morgan and her little quirks, and would like to see more of her.  Good rainy or snowy day read.  (3.5/5)

I don't know why, but love bite-size mysteries in the cold months.

Finished Jan 7th

Born of Illusion by Terri Brown   YA

13000748.jpg

373 pages

synopsis from amazon.com

For fans of Libba Bray and Anna Godbersen, this thrilling historical suspense novel is the story of a budding magician who has spent her life playing sidekick to her faux-medium mother—and trying to hide the fact that she possesses magnificent powers.

As the illegitimate daughter of Harry Houdini—or so her mother claims—gifted illusionist Anna Van Housen easily navigates the underground world of magicians and mediums in 1920s New York, though the real trick is keeping her true gifts secret from her opportunistic mother. But as Anna's powers intensify, she experiences frightening visions that lead her to explore the powers she's tried so long to hide.

Lovers of historical fiction and stories filled with romance and intrigue will fall for Born of Illusion and its whip-smart, savvy protagonist.

my review

I had Born of Illusion on my wishlist and when it became available at my library, I snatched it up.  So glad I did.  I loved the idea of Houdini having an illegitimate daughter, who is also a magician, and maybe something else as well. Anna Ban Housen is easy to route for, and her love of performing is perhaps an inherited trait...

So, the ending may have been a bit predictable, but I didn't even care because at that point I was too invested in the characters.  This is the first of what I assume is a trilogy and I'm looking forward to the next one, Born of Deception. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

I can highly recommend Winter's Bone.  In my review, it was just a medium review, not good or bad, but it has really stuck with me and now I think it was better than it was.  Have you seen the movie? 

You're off to a great start . I got partway through Paying Guests and hit a snag . Not sure why ,it just seemed to lose steam .

I have  couple other of her books, so hopefully they will be better .

Also, I have a couple Lansdale books. I read one which was terrific  ,and this one you have sounds good too .

You definitely can't go wrong with Wally Lamb !

Hi NB, I hope you have a wonderful reading year. I was very pleased to see Tell The Wolves I'm Home on your TBR list, I loved that book, it was a real gem and nothing like I thought it would be, I'm actually a bit jealous that you're going to be reading it for the first time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Jan 19th

The Burglar On the Prowl by Lawrence Block (library-loan, library book talks book)

380564.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

A philosophical yet practical gentleman, Bernie Rhodenbarr possesses many admirable qualities: charm, intelligence, sparkling wit, and unwavering loyalty. Of course, he also has this special talent and a taste for life's finer things. So he's more than willing to perform some vengeful larceny for a friend -- ripping off a smarmy, particularly deserving plastic surgeon -- for fun and a very tidy profit.

But during a practice run at another address, Bernie's forced to hide under a bed when the lady of the house returns unexpectedly with the worst kind of blind date in tow. In no time, Bernie's up to his burgling neck in big trouble. Again. And this time it includes his arrest, no less than four murders, and more outrageous coincidences than any self-preserving felon should ever be required to tie together.

my review

The Burglar on the Prowl is the 10th book in a series about Bernie Rhodenbarr, a burglar who solves crimes.  I had never read any of this series before, but evidently they can be read as standalone. I normally enjoy comedic who-done-its, and did a little, but there were a few places that were absoulte turn offs. Particularly one creepy scene that ruined the whole thing. There were humorous parts in the story and an overall ridiculousness that I guess is the shtick, but the effect was just lost on me.  Also the ending was so confusing that even the characters where confused and had to ask for clarification.  Talk about a mystery! (2/5)

Finished Jan 20th

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (via Kindle per library loan)

51yMq34sQEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

synopsis from amazon.com

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and 'persons of dubious parentage', who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

my review

Game of Thrones is a huge and epic novel that is the first of a series, and has yet to be concluded in almost 20 years.  I am absolutely in love with the HBO TV series and was pleasantly surprised to see that the first season follows this novel pretty much exactly.   Sometimes, I wonder if I liked it more because I could envision the characters so clearly already.  I did find some chapters a bit boring and admit to skimming some parts. The dialog is wonderful though, especially Tyrion's.  I'm not sure if I'll read anymore of the series due to their huge size and the fact that I already know what will happen for a few books.  I know that makes me sound like a horrible reader, but I'm just being honest.  (4/5)

I couldn't get into the show because I'd read the books first. It was very good, I just preferred the books and had my own images in my head about the characters etc. Plus it felt a bit redundant since I already knew what would happen :(

my review

Game of Thrones is a huge and epic novel that is the first of a series, and has yet to be concluded in almost 20 years.  I am absolutely in love with the HBO TV series and was pleasantly surprised to see that the first season follows this novel pretty much exactly.   Sometimes, I wonder if I liked it more because I could envision the characters so clearly already.  I did find some chapters a bit boring and admit to skimming some parts. The dialog is wonderful though, especially Tyrion's.  I'm not sure if I'll read anymore of the series due to their huge size and the fact that I already know what will happen for a few books.  I know that makes me sound like a horrible reader, but I'm just being honest.  (4/5)

I'm glad you enjoyed Game of Thrones, Laura. :) You're right, there are parts that drag, and if anything there are more boring bits as the series goes on (or so I found). If you do decide to continue with the series, I'd say it's well worth doing so up until the end of A Storm of Swords part 2. After that it sort of goes downhill a bit.

I couldn't get into the show because I'd read the books first. It was very good, I just preferred the books and had my own images in my head about the characters etc. Plus it felt a bit redundant since I already knew what would happen :(

I know what you mean. I love the show (although I have to admit it's getting a little bit stale now) but I also resent it because it's replaced my own images of the characters. It completely ruined Ygritte for me - she's so annoying in the TV show! :giggle2:

That said, I do love having the power of knowing what's going to happen - especially since none of my family have read the books - and just waiting for their reaction to certain events. :D

Edited by Signor Finzione

Glad you enjoyed the book, Laura :smile:   It's a shame that the tv series has spoiled all the surprises.  Reading the books without that knowledge was a real thrill - but I guess the reverse is also true.  I remember saying to a friend that it's one of those cases where you're best making a choice: either read the books or watch the tv show, because doing both will spoil it one way or the other. 

Must admit, I'm pretty much done with the series, both in book form and tv form.  I was really into the books until A Dance with Dragons and then the tv series came along, but now I'm bored with all the hype, bored with the last two books, bored with waiting, bored with people who never read fantasy saying it's the 'best thing evah!' . . . just bored with it, basically, if you hadn't guessed  :giggle2:  :D