Frankie reads 2015

frankie

I love the pulp fiction cover of Joyland. I've seen some classic books repackaged in a similar way recently, and I've been tempted to buy them even though I already own the books in other editions. I love anything 'pulpy'. :D

:lol: I'm not usually a fan of pulpy, but I really like this one. I usually prefer puppy to pulpy :D 

I didn't know What's Eating Gilbert Grape? is a book! How cool! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. I've seen it many times as well, but it's been a while since my last viewing. It's such an underrated movie, I think.

I didn't know it was a book either, till I saw the book at the library! :smile2: How do you figure it's an underrated movie? I think at least here, at least in my circle of friends and acquaintances, it was well liked and popular :):shrug: 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the time of the year when I like to take a look at what I've been reading this year, and see what's been up book-wise.

- 2014 was a great year in that I read 100 books, got to 1,000 read books on Goodreads, and got to 100 read books on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -challenge. I still think about it with great fondness and exhilaration :D I also said at the end of 2014 that that year can't be beaten, and I was right :D 2015 has not been as wonderful a year statistics-wise, but what the heck, it's been fun anyways :D

- As always, I challenged myself to try and read 100 books but didn't manage to do that in 2015. I read 75, which I still think is great because it's been a rollercoaster of a year for me.

- I did manage to acquire fewer books than last year, and as you can see the number of acquired books has been in decline every year since the maddest of book buying years:

2008: 116
2009: 160
2010: 321
2011: 309
2012: 99
2013: 66
2014: 41
2015: 37

So I seem to have some self-constraint these days. What's more, I nowadays tend to rather acquire books that I've read and loved and know that I want to re-read again in the future, than random books that I could just as easily borrow from the library and read – for free.

- However, I was still so wrapped up with all the glory of the libraries of the Helsinki Metropolitan area this year, reading more library books than TBR books, that I didn't make any sort of dent to the TBR pile :( I read only seven (7!) books off the TBR pile, the rest were library books :( I'm still going to borrow books from the library and read them but I need to curb my enthusiasm about it a bit.

- As for reading challenges, I only read one book off the Rory Gilmore reading list, and even that one was by coincidence :giggle2: It was a Wally Lamb book. That was a mighty fine read, though. I didn't read any books off the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -list, but I'm not bothered about that. Sometimes you feel like going for challenge reads, and sometimes you don't.

- I did, however, read 32 books off my wishlist, and in that respect it was a very successful year. Not saying that it made a huge dent on the wishlist, though, because I manage to add so many books to my wishlist every year, every month, every week :blush: I blame you guys for that!

- One thing I'm very happy about this year is that for once, I stayed on top of my reviews. I'm usually one to just carry on reading books and then realize that I have maybe 10-20 reviews to write, but this year something just clicked and I managed to scribble down my thoughts on the books I read pretty much as soon as I'd finished them. My thinking was, I'd rather focus on reading books and writing very short and basic thoughts on the books, than think that I should hold on till I could write something a bit more meatier and better. And it's been very liberating! I'm not a book critic by profession and therefore I can write as little as I like on the books. I dare say I used the word 'readable' and 'interesting' in probably at least half of my reviews but who cares :D I don't! I really want to continue in this line in 2016 and not get behind on writing the reviews.

- I read 21 debuts this year and I hadn't really expected such a high number. To me, that's very INTERESTING :D No, honestly, in all seriousness, I do find it interesting. Reading a debut means one's reading a completely new, unfamiliar author's book and to me it says that one's taking risks.
Edit: I counted the average rating for the 21 debuts I read and got 3,71, and then I counted the average rating for the non-debuts and got 3,5. Thanks Kylie for the question! 

- I can't remember what the ratio was last year, but this year it was in favor of female authors: I read 41 books by female authors and 'only' 34 by men. I remember discussing this with a few members on here a few years ago and I think all the others said that they tend to read more books by men than women.

- I read 32 books in Finnish and 43 books in English. As I only read 6 books by Finnish authors, that means that I read quite a few English books in Finnish. I think this is mainly due to the fact that I read so many library books: had I been reading more books off my TBR, I would've read more books in their original language, as I prefer to read books in their original language (if it's English, that is) and therefore I prefer to acquire the books in English. No books read in Swedish, sigh!
- According to Goodreads, the average rating for the books I read this year is 3,6. If I calculated correctly, I got 3,56 myself, and so I guess they just rounded it up. Last year my average rating was 3,74, and the year before that it was 3,66. I'm pretty sure my lower ratings this year were due to me borrowing more books from the library and going for random reads. If I'd stuck to my TBR and wishlist only, I think the rating average would be higher. My average rating on Goodreads for all the books I've read and recorded is 3,46, so this year was still slightly better than my 'average reading career' :D

- As for the actual read books and the ratings. Last year I didn't give a single book 1/5, which was astounding. I wasn't as lucky this year.

Ratings:
1/5: 2
2/5: 11
3/5: 22
4/5: 23
5/5: 17

Next I'll do the thing... What was it so cleverly called? Faming and shaming? Naming and shaming? :D Anyhow, I'll list the worst of the worst and the best of the best.

The duds of the year are the following (1/5):
- Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver
- His Other Life by Beth Thomas

They can't have been toooo bad, though, because I don't remember anything about them, and so I can't even remember why they were so bad. I'm sure it would come to me if I went and read the reviews, but I don't want to. If they were the worst books I've ever read, I'd remember why they were so bad and I'd probably go on another rant about them :D Nonetheless, they weren't good!

I won't name all the 2/5 books, just the ones that were more disappointing than the others:
- Cemetery Girl by David Bell (I remember this book having something that happened which would never ever really happen in life and thus it was disappointing. So bad! I wonder why I gave it 2/5 instead if 1/5)
- The Cardturner by Louis Sachar (a Louis Sachar book that I didn't like? That was quite shocking. Too much about bridge. Should possibly be advertised as bridge-fan-fiction.)
- The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters (I've read Fingersmith by the same author and it was amazing, and so I had very high expectations for this one. And it didn't deliver! And it was boring at times. Oh dear.)
- Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad (I really enjoy the Monk books, and to read a not so good one was frustrating. And disappointing.)

Moving onto the better reads! First the 4/5 highlights:
- The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance of Atticus Craftsman by Mamen Sánchez (This was such a delight to read! I loved the characters and wished to read more about them. Everyone had something to tell. Adorable read!)
- The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (I have to say I can't remember much about the plot without going back to read the review and/or the blurb, but I remember not being able to put the book down. It was a tricky time in my life, too, and I remember how awesome it felt that the book was keeping my mojo happy and I could just forget myself in the book.)
- The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent (This was a great find! Am wondering why I didn't give it 5/5. A short book, but somehow a heavy weight, in a good way.)
- The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell (Heavy reading, heavy subject. But very, very good.)

And the best books of the year (5/5):
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion
My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl
My Madder Fatter Diary by Rae Earl
A Tap on the Window by Linwood Barclay
There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar
The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar
Holes by Louis Sachar
The Man Who Watched Women by Michael Hjorth & Hans Rosenfeldt
Disclaimer by Renee Knight 
Britt-Marie kävi täällä by Fredrik Backman 
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Left of the Bang by Claire Lowdon
Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

My favourite read of the year? This is way too tricky this year... I had so many great reads but no book stands out all that clearly. I loved the 5/5 books that I read, but none of them blew my mind completely, in a way that is everlasting, like some 5/5 reads in the previous years. I guess I'll say She Came Undone by Wally Lamb or The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion.

The new authors I discovered and whom I want to read more by are Wally Lamb, Louis Sachar, and Liane Moriarty.

So that's a wrap for 2015! Bring on 2015! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Great wrap-up of the year! I loved reading it :smile2:. I agree with you on reviews, I've started to write them much shorter as well. Most of my reviews contain the word 'enjoyable', like yours the words you mentioned (though I have to admit, I didn't notice it when I read your reviews!).

I didn't know it was a book either, till I saw the book at the library!  :smile2: How do you figure it's an underrated movie? I think at least here, at least in my circle of friends and acquaintances, it was well liked and popular  :)  :shrug:

I just meant that people don't seem to talk about it, which to me means that maybe it's not as appreciated as it should be. Even I forget to talk about it when mentioning favourite movies. It seems to 'fly below the radar'.

Ooh, great stats! It would be interesting to compare the ratings you gave to the debut authors (what I mean is, did the risk pay off?) 

I loved your reading summary. It seems like you had a pretty good reading year (75 books is an awesome total—three-quarters of the way to 100! Something about that number appeals to me.)

Or even 2016!  :P

:giggle:

Or even 2016!  :P

Apparently I'm not ready yet :D 

I'm glad you've had a good 2015.  Here's to another great year.  :hug:

Thanks Jänet, and the very same to you! :smile2:  :hug:

Great wrap-up of the year! I loved reading it :smile2:. I agree with you on reviews, I've started to write them much shorter as well. Most of my reviews contain the word 'enjoyable', like yours the words you mentioned (though I have to admit, I didn't notice it when I read your reviews!).

Yeah I've noticed that your reviews are shorter these days and I've been wondering about that. You saved me the trouble of asking you about it, thanks! :D Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading other people's reviews and I love how accomplished they are, but at the moment I don't personally feel like putting any real effort in my reviews. :) 

This is what I noticed when writing this year's wrap-up post: all the reading years are very different from each other, and one year you'll do fine in this challenge/goal and another year you'll do worse, but there's another challenge/goal you'll do better in. It's fun to see what sucked and what totally unsucked each year :D Last year was about round numbers in challenges, this year was about staying on top of reviews, even if they were half-assed :lol: :lol: It's still a great victory! 

I just meant that people don't seem to talk about it, which to me means that maybe it's not as appreciated as it should be. Even I forget to talk about it when mentioning favourite movies. It seems to 'fly below the radar'.

Ah, okay. I wonder if it has to do with the movie being old...? :shrug: Maybe we should watch it together at some point :D (As if we didn't have many things to watch together already... Which reminds me, I've STILL not started Dexter! I don't know what's wrong with me! I hope you've not gone too far ahead, although I think you've been working and so I don't think you've watched too many eps...? I'll have to take the DVD back 4.1. so I'll have to binge-watch it before then. Should be able to manage, though. )

Ooh, great stats! It would be interesting to compare the ratings you gave to the debut authors (what I mean is, did the risk pay off?)

Sonovab..., that's a fabulous idea!!! :o I mean, that's only like one of the most interesting piece of stats one could do with the ones I've kept. How come I didn't think of that?!? I'm totally going to do the calc now :D Thanks!!!  :flowers2:

I loved your reading summary. It seems like you had a pretty good reading year (75 books is an awesome total—three-quarters of the way to 100! Something about that number appeals to me.)

:lol: I wonder what it is. Well it's in the 70s, your favorite decade with the 60s? :D 

Yeah I've noticed that your reviews are shorter these days and I've been wondering about that. You saved me the trouble of asking you about it, thanks! :D Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading other people's reviews and I love how accomplished they are, but at the moment I don't personally feel like putting any real effort in my reviews. :) 

This is what I noticed when writing this year's wrap-up post: all the reading years are very different from each other, and one year you'll do fine in this challenge/goal and another year you'll do worse, but there's another challenge/goal you'll do better in. It's fun to see what sucked and what totally unsucked each year :D Last year was about round numbers in challenges, this year was about staying on top of reviews, even if they were half-assed :lol: :lol: It's still a great victory!

Ah :). I also found it cost me too much energy to write the longer reviews. And sometimes I wasn't sure what to say about a book other than that I enjoyed it (without spoilers).

I agree, my reading years are different from each other, too. :lol: Well I think you did a good job :).

Ah :). I also found it cost me too much energy to write the longer reviews. And sometimes I wasn't sure what to say about a book other than that I enjoyed it (without spoilers).

That's true, sometimes it's difficult to say what one liked about a certain book, other than the usual things: that it was good and enjoyable. I think most of the time it's easier to say what one doesn't like in a book :( 

I just realized how much work this will be. Having to go over every book and check which ones were the debuts. Sod it for now, I'm off to your bran new thread :lol:

Edited by frankie

:lol: Sorry I've created extra work for you, but I'm glad you liked my idea.

:lol: No worries. I'll do it now. To get it out of the way! And I was so happy to have done all my reviews in time and having done the 2015 reading log summary in time, and now I find that I still need to do stuff!!! :lol:

I haven't watched any more of Dexter either. :( I have a deadline on the 3rd, so I might get back to watching it on the 4th.

Okay. In the meantime I'll be watching the series (and going to the library's website to see if I could renew the loan. Couldn't do it today, as there are a few reservations, but you never know. There have been a few occasions where I thought I had to take something back because someone else had reserved it, but before I did, someone else had returned their copy and the person in line had gotten that particular copy instead. Sometimes one gets lucky that way! :) )

Okay now! I counted the average rating I gave to all the debuts I read this year (21 debuts), and got 3,71. The average rating for the 54 non-debuts was 3,5. So yep, it pays to take a risk and read a debut :D (Although one of the debuts was a Gillian Flynn book and I'd already read and loved her latest two novels and so didn't have any qualms or fears about reading the first book she ever wrote. And yep, it turned out to be a 5/5 for me :smile2: )

(I've edited the 2015 wrap-up post to include this amazing interesting piece of stats.)

Cool! Thanks for working that out. :) It is a very interesting stat, isn't it? I'm not sure that I could be as adventurous with debut novels, unless it has been read and recommended by someone else (like you!) first. ;) You can be my guinea pig, or royal taste-tester, so to speak. :)

Cool! Thanks for working that out. :) It is a very interesting stat, isn't it? I'm not sure that I could be as adventurous with debut novels, unless it has been read and recommended by someone else (like you!) first. ;) You can be my guinea pig, or royal taste-tester, so to speak. :)

Thank yous to you for asking such a great question! :) It is very interesting. But I will say that I didn't go about looking for debut novels in particular. They just somehow found their way to my hands. Some had such great titles that I borrowed them from the library purely based on that :D Some seemed really intriguing based on the blurb... So it's just a coinky that I read so many debuts. Not a regrettable one, though :D Oh yeah I'll be your guinea-pig :D The Regional Assistant to the Book Connoisseur, shall we say? I want a badge :lol::cool:

Edit: I wonder if you'd be surprised by how many debuts you read during the year, if you counted. Or do you already keep such a stat and know that the number of debuts is not that high? 

I've realized in the past few days that I love the word 'debut'. It looks so pretty, and I love the way it's pronounced. What a beautiful word! 

Edited by frankie

Thank yous to you for asking such a great question! :) It is very interesting. But I will say that I didn't go about looking for debut novels in particular. They just somehow found their way to my hands. Some had such great titles that I borrowed them from the library purely based on that :D Some seemed really intriguing based on the blurb... So it's just a coinky that I read so many debuts. Not a regrettable one, though :D Oh yeah I'll be your guinea-pig :D The Regional Assistant to the Book Connoisseur, shall we say? I want a badge :lol::cool:

Edit: I wonder if you'd be surprised by how many debuts you read during the year, if you counted. Or do you already keep such a stat and know that the number of debuts is not that high? 

I've realized in the past few days that I love the word 'debut'. It looks so pretty, and I love the way it's pronounced. What a beautiful word! 

Curse you, woman! Now I need to go and work out my stats!  :lol: I doubt there'll be many debuts, but maybe I'll be surprised. When I go to a bookstore I just look for names that are already familiar to me. I rarely pick up a book by someone whose name I don't recognise (unless it has a particularly appealing cover or title—shallow, aren't I?  :lol:)

ETA: Debut debut debut debut debut debut debut debut debut.

Curse you, woman! Now I need to go and work out my stats!  :lol:

:lol::P Payback's a ... lot of work! 

I doubt there'll be many debuts, but maybe I'll be surprised. When I go to a bookstore I just look for names that are already familiar to me. I rarely pick up a book by someone whose name I don't recognise (unless it has a particularly appealing cover or title—shallow, aren't I?  :lol:)

Appealing covers and titles are nothing to be frowned upon :cool: Sometimes they will deliver! I wonder if you've done the stats on the debuts by now :P:D 

ETA: Debut debut debut debut debut debut debut debut debut.

:lol:

Knock knock knock - Debut? 

I personally love the cover of Joyland.  It's a 'Hard Case Crime' novel which is a takeoff of the old hard-boiled, pulp fiction, crime story of the 20's and 30's, and all of their covers were similar to that ;).

There's a little something supernatural about Joyland, but it's a very different direction for King which is part of why I loved it so much!

I'm not as good as most people here about updating my threads, Frankie :blush2:, which is why the one I started this year didn't have a date on it.  

If you liked the Gilbert Grape movie I guarantee you'll love the book!   

Husband has read Joyland, and liked it.....it's on my stack. :)

Frankie, somewhere you commented about Big Little Lies..... :blush2:   can't find it atm, but wanted to thank you for your comment, and mention I've ordered it 2nd hand.  It does look good!

Keep saying it though and it sounds weird .. like every other word :D Also, how are you pronouncing it? There are subtle differences between the English and American pronunciation. I need to know how you're saying it!  :D 

Gosh, I never know how many debut novels I've read. Sometimes I pick up on it, when I'm really interested in the story etc and look more into it but other than that, facts like that pass me by  :blush2: I just about work out if the author is male or female :D 

It's good to read debut novels .. like debut albums etc. Often they're the authors/singers best work :yes: 

Appealing covers and titles are nothing to be frowned upon :cool: Sometimes they will deliver! I wonder if you've done the stats on the debuts by now :P:D

I've started it but not yet finished. I really should do a little summary of my 2015 reading. I also get so excited about the new year that I drag my feet when completing my 2015 log!

LOL!

Husband has read Joyland, and liked it.....it's on my stack.

Frankie, somewhere you commented about Big Little Lies.....    can't find it atm, but wanted to thank you for your comment, and mention I've ordered it 2nd hand.  It does look good!

Good to hear another member having liked it! :) We shall see which one of us shall get to reading the book first! :D 

The thread you are thinking about is What is/was your last book of 2015, or something along those lines. I responded to your comment on there, but am happy to reiterate my sentiments here: I also liked The Husband's Wife, like you! Personally I think BLL is better, though. I loved the split narrative. Glad to hear you've ordered a secondhand copy, I really hope you will enjoy it at least as much as you enjoyed THW! Looking forward to your thoughts on it when you get to it :) 

Keep saying it though and it sounds weird .. like every other word  Also, how are you pronouncing it? There are subtle differences between the English and American pronunciation. I need to know how you're saying it!   

Haha yes, especially if you keep saying it in British English and American English, in turn :D Alan will think you've gone off your rocker :D I would say it like the Americans would. Or at least that's what I like to think, goodness knows what it really sounds like :D I personally prefer American English because it's just what I'm used to and what I grew up with. Meaning, I would stress the 'but. Stress on the but... Yeah, junk in the trunk!  :D 

Gosh, I never know how many debut novels I've read. Sometimes I pick up on it, when I'm really interested in the story etc and look more into it but other than that, facts like that pass me by   I just about work out if the author is male or female  

It's good to read debut novels .. like debut albums etc. Often they're the authors/singers best work  

:lol: I never used to check whether the book was a debut or not, but last year (or the year before that) I started noticing how a lot of the books I read had the word 'debut' somewhere in the back cover. Or when I would search for the blurb on Amazon so I could copy+paste it on my review, there would be a mention of the book being a debut. So I started paying more attention, and then I just got curious. 

Defining the author's gender is no easy task sometimes :D Weird names that will not give away the gender, or names that can be given to boys and girls! I mean c'mon! :lol: Even The Bold and the Beautiful made a joke of it, when they introduced the new character, Taylor, in the show. Everyone thought it would be a he, based on the name alone. Well haha, the joke was on them! Ridge was taken for a ride! :D 

I've started it but not yet finished. I really should do a little summary of my 2015 reading. I also get so excited about the new year that I drag my feet when completing my 2015 log!

Haha I know what you mean :) I still can't believe it that I did my summary a day before NYE! Last year it was a few days into the new year that I finally got it done...