Frankie reads 2015

frankie

I don't know if I even knew that Fforde already has four different series.... Holy crap

By my count, yes. There's 7 Thursday Next books, 2 Nursery Crime books, 1 Shades of Grey book (with another to come in 2016) and 3 Dragonslayek books (with another one to come next year). So much Fforde goodness for us to look forward to!

<< Butts in >> And there`s a standalone to come this June - Early Riser.  Me excited.  :giggle2:

Hope you have a good reading year, Frankie.  :D

Edited by Little Pixie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to the library yesterday after the 4H club (I'm continuing to supervise it this spring, too) and I went to the kids' section to see if they had an English copy of Winnie the Pooh which I've been wanting to read for a while now. No luck! As I was browsing the other novels, I noticed the Enid Blyton books and that made me think of the Malory Towers series. I like books to do with boarding houses and residence halls and so I started wondering why I haven't already read the books. They didn't have copies of them at the Joensuu library, but why didn't I know if they had them over here? Because I've checked all the books on my wishlist and made notes... That must mean that I don't have the books on my wishlist, but on some separate list.  :doh:  I now checked with the library and have reserved a copy of The Early Years at Malory Towers (3 books in 1). I'm very excited! :exc: 

No, it's not because I want you off my back. It's because I want to read the book!! I promise you =)
Well in that case....hurry up and read it!

Okay okay... Well now I've read one book in English this year and I think I'm up for others, too, so my Finnish spell has is over, wohoo! I shall get the book from my bookcase and put it somewhere where I can see it so I'll be more aware of it and then I'll just some day pick it up and READ IT! :cool: 

I forgot to say in my post in your new reading log that I also love your TBR pile! Whichever book I could come up with, you would have a copy of it. You have a real library all to yourself
I was thinking the exact same thing when I was going through your list! How cool would it be to live together and share all of our books? We would have such an epic collection. 

It would be the most epic collection ever! But I don't think it would be a very comfortable place to live in, what with having no room for furniture :D We'd have to have our own bookcases, though, I know you don't want to mix yours with 'stranger books', and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that either. 

Rivers of London is one of those books that I really, really want to read! Great to hear that it's Fforde-like, that's always a compliment! And you know, this is one of the first mind readings you did: I've thought about having to bump up the Fforde books on my TBR, too! I've had the TN books for years and I loved the first novel, so why am I stupid and not reading the books already?!
Haha. Well, I wouldn't call you stupid, but you should definitely read some more Fforde! I think I've only read the first four Thursday Next books so far, and the series was getting better and better with each book, so imagine how much you're going to love them! I'm not much better...I don't think I've read a single JF book since I got my cat, which I named after Jasper Fforde, 4 years ago.

But how can the following books be any better because The Eyre Affair was pretty much perfection? :blush: I just can't get my head around the possibility that the sequels would be as good or even better. Impossible! Haha though for trying to get me to read more of Fforde when you haven't done anything about reading his books in the past 4 years, either :P Pot, kettle! 

I don't know if I even knew that Fforde already has four different series.... Holy crap
By my count, yes. There's 7 Thursday Next books, 2 Nursery Crime books, 1 Shades of Grey book (with another to come in 2016) and 3 Dragonslayek books (with another one to come next year). So much Fforde goodness for us to look forward to!

Ah, it's the Dragonslayek books I always forget! 

Non-fiction. Autobiographical writings! Here's what Amazon says: 
Cool, the Neal Cassady book sounds awesome! 

I knew you'd be interested. I bet it's now on your wishlist! 

This is another freaky coinky dink: I also thought for a very, very long time that it's a pretty recent book. I was pretty astounded when I actually read the blurb and found out it wasn't so. 
It was probably you who made me think it was a recent book. 

Na'ah!! 

I got mine secondhand somewhere, I can't remember where. There's a cheap copy of the book at BookDepo, if you're interested? Not a very fancy edition, though. Oh dear, it's 36% off
Thanks, but ewww, I don't like that copy. There's a nice Penguin edition that isn't too much more expensive. But hang on, why are you linking to books and encouraging me to buy them?! You're supposed to be helping me to buy fewer books, not more! Is this some sort of conspiracy? Why are you trying to make me buy books only 5 days into the new year?! You are so naughty! I shall resist the temptation.

Haha, you don't like that particular edition? It's the one I have, haha! You're right, it's not pretty. I don't like it either, but it was cheap and found it in the flesh and had to have it. When I've read it I'll send it to you with my best wishes :P =D

So... Did you manage to resist the temptation? Okay so I tried to make you buy a book. Big deal ( :giggle2:). Think of all the times I've tried to make you go to your local library to borrow books instead of buying them!! 

And another freaky thing: I swear, just one or two nights ago I just started thinking about the novel, all of a sudden, and thought I should get to reading it this year. You're freaking me out
Mwahaha. So you haven't yet realised that I can read your mind? Good.

Why is it that I now like Shel Silverstein and my thoughts are in Australian English. What is this weird sensation in my brain. 

It's definitely going to be difficult one, but I'm not that sure about the creepy. I'm so fascinated by it! Yeah, I believe someone suggested it as a possible group read. Would you be interested in it this year?
Yes, I would most definitely be interested in reading House of Leaves this year!

Coooooool!! We must read it.  Let me know when you have the feeling for it, and I shall do the same. 

And yet another freaky: when I was going through your TBR I saw the title Rebecca and I thought if I should ask you if you wanted to read it together at some point, but then I thought maybe later. Your mojo's going so great, I don't want to possibly scare it off with group reads. 
I'm also up for reading this together, if you want. Don't worry about scaring off my mojo—I am going to chain it to me so it can't go anywhere.

Wohoo, let's get that mojo whipped!

I've been thinking about the exact same thing! I read most of them one year and then was waiting for new novels in the series, but when I got one, I'd kinda forgotten some of the main events and I thought I need to re-read the series from the start. Has she finished with the series already? I mean if I started re-reading them and then got to the new ones I've not read, would it end there, and I wouldn't have to fear about her writing yet a new one again and having to then, again, re-read the whole series. 
Yep, as Gaia said, she's finished with the series. I don't think I'm going to bother buying the last one or two books (I found the ebook versions anyway, so I can read them if I want). I'm definitely not going to re-read all the other books again. I just don't have time for that! I might just read the summaries on Wikipedia to refresh my memory, and then get straight back into it.

Ah, okay. That would be a viable option but personally I think I'd like to re-read them all. 

Short bursts? Are you talking about farts.
I knew that you were going to make some sort of comment like that! Cheeky!

Ass-cheeky?

:rolleyes::D

I know, it's getting quite long, isn't it... At one point last year when I was adding another book on the list, I got a notice saying the post is too long...  That's actually why I moved the Aussie book list and others to a different place, and then decided to eventually go for a separate wishlist for fiction and non-fiction.
Ahh, I thought your wishlist was usually in one post, but I didn't want to say anything because I thought I must have been wrong (not that I'm ever wrong, of course...)
Yeah, hardly more often than once or twice a day... Three times, tops!

I haven't checked the website lately, thanks for that! Why did they put poor Jason in the background again. What a humble, lovable gentleman
Maybe he wanted to hide the shirt he was wearing. (Just kidding, the shirt really isn't that bad.)

It's a kick-ass shirt :D (Maybe the FTBC producers wanted it left in the background...) Where are his glasses, though. I bet he wasn't going to read anything on the beach, he was just going to check out the babes. He can't read without his glasses! 

You know, I've actually been meaning to go and look at the website because I haven't been keeping up with their book list for 2014. I need to add the new titles to my FTBC challenge list! 
I'm such an idiot! When I read your FTBC list, I felt slack because I hadn't sent you the book list lately and I thought you'd had to do it yourself because I thought the list looked up to date. But when I read your above comment, I realised I'd gotten confused when reading your list. Do you want me to send you the list? I like typing it up for you, but I know it can be fun to do it yourself too. Let me know.

But we've talked about this before and I've always said that I'm going to look for the books myself and you don't have to bother! It's never been your job to do it for me. But I appreciate the thought! But actually if you don't mind doing it, I'd like to have the list, yes :yes: You're so nice!

It's books that I don't feel all that keen to read anymore, but which I haven't had the heart to dispose of. I'm pretty sure that at this stage, my parents have more books than I do, which is really freaky!!
Ah, OK. Do your parents read the books that you have at their place?

Oh no. I don't think they're even curious about them, I don't think they've even looked at them to see if there's anything there they could read. Which is understandable, I guess, because a lot of them are in English and they might just assume that they all are. I should tell them to check some of them out, though. I think there's a copy of a Finnish book I liked (but I want a nicer edition for keeps), and then when I visited my parents last summer, Dad had bought a used copy of the same book and was reading it. And he was liking it! And I bet there are some thrillers Mom could read... But they have quite a few books of their own to read so it's understandable they want to read those first. 

Radar's the cutest. He's like, so cute! I always saved his pictures on my computer when Augusten put new ones up on his FB feed, but then of course my computer crashed. I lost so many doggy pictures, in general, it's not funny! It's rather sad. 
You might want to look into getting a Pinterest account (it's free). You can basically add any pictures that you find around the Internet (or upload images you've scanned yourself), and other people can view your pics. You could have a doggie board, or even multiple doggie boards. The images are kept online, so if your computer ever crashes again, you don't need to worry about losing your doggie pictures!

It's a good idea, but I don't know if I want a Pinterest account. The cloud thing you talked about is a better idea. And actually when I got this laptop back, and was getting it started, it mentioned the cloud thing, saying this and this is my cloud. I should go check it out. I wish they'd had that cloud option the first time around!

You, too, my dear friend! And once more: it's so awesome to have you more around here, it's been like Christmas!
Funny that, what with it being Christmas and all... 

:D It was after  Christmas!!

On the day that we were originally commenting on each other's reading lists, I had a dream about us and books! But I can't remember if you were actually in the dream or if I just thought about you during it. There was a train platform that had a book sale of secondhand books, and I (or maybe we) looked at all the books but couldn't find anything of interest. Then the next day I was there (definitely by myself this time) and there was another secondhand sale, but I think the books for this were provided by the train station, and not the commuters, like the previous day. This time I found LOADS of great books that were on both of our wishlists  But I had a dilemma because I knew you wanted these books badly, but I wanted them too and wanted to keep them for myself. I think I decided that I would keep them and you could borrow them.  I'm not very generous!

Awww, I love it that I was in the dream or at least a thought in the dream, especially when it had to do with books! A book sale on a train platform? What a lovely idea! Too freaking bad that all the great books were there on the second day :D Where was I, then? Why didn't I come? I bet I'd had a terrible accident, because only one of those would keep me away! Hey, of course you should get the books for yourself, and it's terribly kind of you to let me borrow them! I know you wouldn't trust your books with just any person. :cool:

The other day when I got a friend request on FB and I wanted to go over my pictures there to see that I don't have any silly things there, I went through the Australia pictures and the book fair pictures especially made me really miss you and our time together. I loved the picture where we were studying our maps to see which places to dash to first. Remember how long the line had gotten by the time we got to the parking lot? And remember how I was on the still picture of the video clip for the book fair? :D Oh man, those were great times. I wanna come back!!! 

So glad you enjoyed She's Come Undone. I haven't read any of the spoilers, as it's going to be my next read and I don't want to ruin any surprises. :boogie:

It was far greater a novel than I ever dared to expect, I'm so happy to have come across the thread on here, and have people recommend Lamb's books to me! I want to read more books by him but I'm not sure where to start. 

I hope you get to the book soon! I read in the Book Activity thread that your current read is long and slow, but you like it slow because you want to savour it, and I had to restrain myself from telling you to hurry up... :blush::giggle2: 

<< Butts in >> And there`s a standalone to come this June - Early Riser.  Me excited.   :giggle2:

Hope you have a good reading year, Frankie.   :D

Thanks Little Pixie, and the very same to you! :) 

I hope you have a lovely reading year Frankie.   :smile:

You too, Chrissy, I hope you find many a literary gem this year!  :readingtwo:  :smile2: 

#3. The Book of You by Claire Kendal

From the jacket: Clarissa is becoming more and more frightened of her colleague, Rafe. He won't leave her alone, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is always there. 

Being selected for jury service is a relief. The courtroom is a safe haven, a place where Rafe can't be. But as a violent tale of kidnap and abuse unfolds, Clarissa begins to see parallels between her own situation and that of the young woman on the witness stand. 

Realizing that she bears the burden of proof, Clarissa unravels the twisted, macabre fairytale that Rafe has spun around them - and discovers that the ending he envisions is more terrifying than she could have imagined... 

Thoughts: This was a Goodreads recommendation, a debut novel by Kendal. It started out really great. I read the first 160 pages in one go and was hungry for more. Rafe is a disgusting and creepy character and Kendal did a great job portraying him. I was so creeped out by him, I would sometimes shudder. 

The next 160 pages went flying, too, but I found that one of Clarissa's decisions wasn't a really solid one. At that point I thought the author should've come up with a more plausible solution. But I was willing to turn a blind eye.. 

Till page 323 I really enjoyed the novel and I was looking at a 5/5 rating. But then I read on and it felt like the author had just lost all wind and didn't know what to do with it, and came up with something very mediocre. It was such a disappointment! Her team of editors or the publisher or agent or whatever should've told her this doesn't really fly ... The book could've been saved with a different ending in my opinion! Well, one can't always win. 

I've done a search for the title on this forum and I didn't see anyone else having read the book, but if someone has, do tell what you thought of the last 42 pages. 

3/5

Yeah, I'm still annoyed! The book's right next to me, because I was writing the review in the morning and I left the book on the table. I'm growing tired of looking at it :D I should go and take it back to the library immediately. 

I went to the library yesterday after the 4H club (I'm continuing to supervise it this spring, too) and I went to the kids' section to see if they had an English copy of Winnie the Pooh which I've been wanting to read for a while now. No luck! As I was browsing the other novels, I noticed the Enid Blyton books and that made me think of the Malory Towers series. I like books to do with boarding houses and residence halls and so I started wondering why I haven't already read the books. They didn't have copies of them at the Joensuu library, but why didn't I know if they had them over here? Because I've checked all the books on my wishlist and made notes... That must mean that I don't have the books on my wishlist, but on some separate list.  :doh:  I now checked with the library and have reserved a copy of The Early Years at Malory Towers (3 books in 1). I'm very excited! :exc:

I found my old Malory Towers books a few months ago, but I was missing the first one … luckily, I found a copy in the charity shop a few weeks ago! :exc:  If you like, let me know when you're going to read it, and I'll start mine too, and we'll have a mini read-a-long. :D

I found my old Malory Towers books a few months ago, but I was missing the first one … luckily, I found a copy in the charity shop a few weeks ago! :exc:  If you like, let me know when you're going to read it, and I'll start mine too, and we'll have a mini read-a-long. :D

I can imagine your excitement at having found a replacement copy for an old favorite! :smile2: I'd love a mini read-a-long! I'll definitely let you know! :smile2: 

Ooh Malory Towers ... I can't wait to see how you get on with them :D I wish I still had my old copies .. I'd read with you both. Have they been modernised do you know? I think they may have been a bit .. not sure. I'm sure you'll be raising your eyebrows a bit .. old Enid was such a terrible snob. I did re-read them once and all the girls I'd previously liked seemed like terrible little prigs (good Enid word :D) ... the books are so synonymous with my childhood though that I love them despite their faults. Always makes you want to start frying sausages at midnight :D Perhaps I can get hold of the first one .. let me know when you're starting. 

I think they have updated them, but fortunately, mine are all old copies!  I was really lucky to find the first one in the charity shop … you might be lucky, Kay, or perhaps you might find a copy at the library?

I've already put a bid in on ebay  :blush2: Wish me luck :D I think I know what the covers were like .. though some are more familiar than others. I have an aversion to the modern covers but only because I want them as I remember them .. to add to the nostalgic feel .. and also all the un-PC bits will be still in :D Jolly good .. I can cringe as I read :D

I have old copies too.  Not my original ones, but I replaced them all by finding them in various charity shops about 12 or so years ago!  They are dated, but I always had a huge admiration for Darrell Rivers!  :D

Yes .. she was a good old egg :D 

I've just seen that an author called Pamela Cox is writing sequels .. good heavens!! Is nothing scared :D 

Wow, there seems to be a lot of love for Malory Towers :D I say you all join us for the mini read-a-long if you have the chance! :)

Ooh Malory Towers ... I can't wait to see how you get on with them. I wish I still had my old copies .. I'd read with you both. Have they been modernised do you know? I think they may have been a bit .. not sure. I'm sure you'll be raising your eyebrows a bit .. old Enid was such a terrible snob. I did re-read them once and all the girls I'd previously liked seemed like terrible little prigs (good Enid word ) ... the books are so synonymous with my childhood though that I love them despite their faults. Always makes you want to start frying sausages at midnight. Perhaps I can get hold of the first one .. let me know when you're starting. 

Modernised, as in the covers or editing the actual text? I have no idea about the latter. I went and checked the edition they have at the library and yes it's a really new one, namely this one. Do you think they've re-written stuff on it? I don't like it... But then again, maybe it would be easier for me. Prig is an odd word for me and I bet Enid had a lot of those :D 

I hope I won't end up frying them sausages... These books might seriously do a lot of damage to my diet and hopes of losing weight :blush::lol: 

I think they have updated them, but fortunately, mine are all old copies!  I was really lucky to find the first one in the charity shop … you might be lucky, Kay, or perhaps you might find a copy at the library?

I've already put a bid in on ebay . Wish me luck. I think I know what the covers were like .. though some are more familiar than others. I have an aversion to the modern covers but only because I want them as I remember them .. to add to the nostalgic feel .. and also all the un-PC bits will be still in. Jolly good .. I can cringe as I read.

Good luck with the bid!! But if you can't get the book via ebay, I suggest you check the library like chesilbeach recommended :)

I have old copies too.  Not my original ones, but I replaced them all by finding them in various charity shops about 12 or so years ago!  They are dated, but I always had a huge admiration for Darrell Rivers!  

I'm getting really curious about the books! :D Will you be joining us? I hope you will! :smile2: 

I saw in Tescos yesterday Pamela Cox writing St Clare's sequels as well. Disgraceful and unnecessary! I loved Malory Towers as a kid, tempted to join in the readalong if we manage one 

You have to join us! The more the merrier!! :smile2: We could even start a thread on it in the Group Reads section :smile2:

Re: MT: I checked and I'm the first in line for a copy of the book. There are four copies, two of which have been borrowed, and two are on their way to someone (maybe one of them is for me?) and one has a reservation (maybe that's me). The due dates for the already borrowed ones are 3.2. and 9.2. So it might take a while before I get a copy, but there's no rush, what with Kay not having a copy yet, either :)