Frankie reads 2015

frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've noticed a thing with my reading lately... When I start a book, no matter how great it is, if I don't finish it in a relatively short period of time, I start to lose interest. Not in that I won't finish the book and enjoy it, but I'm already wishing for it to be over so I can start another one. It is so weird, because I can be reading a really, really captivating book but already wish it was finished so I could pick up another one. 

I don't know, maybe it has to do with me having so many library loans in the bookshelf, waiting to be read... All of them books from my wishlist! 

And it doesn't help that at the moment my life seems to be so disrupted what with waiting for the BA degree and looking for an apartment and hoping to find a job and everything being so chaotic in my life. I've never been a very patient person and it's rather stressing to have to wait for the BA degree so that I could sign up to be unemployed etc., and then being somewhat sorted out financially. That sort of security would help to not stress things and after that everything else would seem so much easier. Job hunting would feel easier knowing that at least I have an apartment all to myself (no annoying flatmates!!) and that I'm financially stable, even if poor. 

This is the exact situation I'm in: I'm really enjoying my current read, the Tinselwood book about Hollywood in the 1920s and the murder that took place, but I just received a reserved copy of a really interesting book: Kitty Genovese: The Murder, The Bystanders, The Crime That Changed America by Kevin Cook. I've read of Kitty Genovese on wikipedia and it's a horrible case. :(

I don't know how it was that I once heard some familiar song... And that led me to google it and there was something on wikipedia and then I somehow came across the Kitty Genovese case and that made me add the book to my wishlist.... I now thought that it was a Simon & Garfunkel song called The Sound of Silence but now that I wikied it, there was no mention of her. I wonder what it was that led me to the case. 

Edit: Did a little googling with 'Kitty Genovese song' and came up with an article saying the S&G has been thought to be partially about it. So I was right! But I'm sure I read it on wikipedia earlier... I wonder why the connection's been removed from either the page on the Genovese case or the page for the song. 

Edited by frankie

It probably has to do with the fact that you want something, anything, resolved in a timely manner, Sari.  You have control over your book reading so if it's taking too long you just stop and move on to something else.  

What BA degree are you wanting to get?

It probably has to do with the fact that you want something, anything, resolved in a timely manner, Sari.  You have control over your book reading so if it's taking too long you just stop and move on to something else.  

What BA degree are you wanting to get?

Yeah, I suppose that's what it is. I have so many things that need to be resolved that it's really vexing. The only thing I feel I have control over at the moment is my jogging, and thank goodness that's going decently. When my reading is haphazard, jogging's the only thing that is still reliable! 

I feel really silly but I'm not sure what you mean by your question. I want my BA degree :D I went to see what wikipedia has to say about things but the BA page doesn't have a section on Finland. Other European countries, yes, but not Finland. I suppose you would call it a BA in Humanities? 

Edit: It's actually a real shame that my life is so chaotic, living conditions -wise etc, at the moment, because it's taking away from the fact that I did pass my BA thesis, which had been such a huge struggle for me to write and complete for such a long time. I'm really happy that I finally did it and I got a decent grade and I passed, but I've not been able to enjoy that fact as much as I would have otherwise, because there's the flat crisis at hand. 

Edit: And I know that basically my life is still good because my landlord/ess aren't going to kick me out and I'm going to be fine living with them for as long as is needed, and I've got my friends and stuff, but of course it's a stressful thing having to find a new place to live. 

And I want to add that I am now living with landlord/ess+family, they moved in on Sunday. They aren't spending 24 hours at the apartment because they've needed/wanted to paint the walls and they still haven't put together their beds etc., and so they are not spending their nights at the flat but at landlord's brother's flat who lives in a neighboring building. But I've been seeing them every day, and so far it's actually been nice because I've been able to see landlordess who is actually my oldest ever friend, we go way back. And I'm able to see my Godson every day which is really amazing :wub: He's such a great fellow! We've had great laughs over city bunnies and their socio-economy and infrastructure, and the like :D

Edited by frankie

A BA in Humanities, nice!  Sorry if my question was confusing :).  Your answer made perfect sense  :giggle:

I'm such a terrible friend that I didn't even know you moved in the first place!  I know what you mean about life being stressful, but like you said, you'll be fortunate to live with someone you've known for a long time and also with your godson which is fab!  But yeah, when plans are up in the air because one decision/opportunity hinges on another and you just have to wait and see can be very frustrating.  

Luckily you have your friends, family, jogging, books and BCF! 

It's sad to hear you're feeling stressed and it is affecting your reading. Hopefully everything will be resolved soon and you will be able to relax a little and enjoy your achievements. What is your plan once you are settled? Are you still going to be studying or will you be looking for a job? :)

A BA in Humanities, nice!  Sorry if my question was confusing :).  Your answer made perfect sense  :giggle:

It was actually a very valid question and should not have confused me at all :D:blush: It's just that in Finnish my title will be Bachelor of Humanities, and so I didn't remember that a simple BA doesn't really tell you guys anything. And it was late and I was tired :giggle: Oh the humanity! I will be one of those Sheldon would look down upon :exc::D 

I'm such a terrible friend that I didn't even know you moved in the first place!  I know what you mean about life being stressful, but like you said, you'll be fortunate to live with someone you've known for a long time and also with your godson which is fab!  But yeah, when plans are up in the air because one decision/opportunity hinges on another and you just have to wait and see can be very frustrating.  

I think my move took place at a time when you weren't that regularly on here, so no wonder that you missed it! Don't worry about it in the slightest  :friends3:  And once again you've hit the nail: if it was just one thing, it wouldn't be so bad, but because it's many things that all affect each other, it gets really trying. It's pretty much day-by-day living for me at the moment, and not in the good way where I carpe diem all over the place :D But I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic. 

Luckily you have your friends, family, jogging, books and BCF! 

This is true! :smile2: 

It's sad to hear you're feeling stressed and it is affecting your reading. Hopefully everything will be resolved soon and you will be able to relax a little and enjoy your achievements. What is your plan once you are settled? Are you still going to be studying or will you be looking for a job? :)

I'm looking for work and I think if I manage to land a job, I'll take it and run with it and be happy :)  I'd love to start studying to become a librarian but I don't have the funds for that at the moment so it will have to wait.

Athena posted in the read-a-thon thread about (warning: if you want to see what it's about and click on the link, please turn down the volume on your speakers as you will otherwise have a heart attack because the girl is loud) a BookTubeAThon and I'm getting more and more interested. My mojo's been unreliable for a while now and I've been wondering if I could use this opportunity to try to coax the mojo to reunite with me and be my good friend again. 

The challenges are as follows:

1. Read a book with blue on the cover - I immediately thought of Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, but I'm not sure if there's blue on the cover, just on the side... Should check out the library copy

2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name - Difficult :D I could only think of Stephen King without resorting to my TBR list. I don't want to do any re-reads so these will be my choices: 

- Kazantzakis, Niko: Zorba the Greek 

- Kekki, Lasse & Kaisa Ilmonen: Pervot pidot – Homo-, lesbo- ja queer-näkökulmia kirjallisuudentutkimukseen 
- Kerouac, Jack: Maggie Cassidy
- Kilpi, Volter: Alastalon salissa
- King, Stephen: The Dark Half
- King, Stephen: Salem's Lot 
- Kirkland, Gelsey: Dancing on my Grave 

- Koren, Yehuda and Negev, Eilat: A Lover of Unreason: The Life and Tragic Death of Assia Wevill, Ted Hughes' Doomed Love
- Kosonen, Päivi: Naissubjekti & postmoderni 

3. Read someone else's favourite book - Whose and what book??! Phantom Tollbooth??  :hide:  (But is it Kylie's absolute favorite, though?)

4. Read the last book you acquired - The last book I acquired was Susan Coolidge's What Katy Did, I found a copy at the library's book swap shelf. A suitably short and easy read I should say! :D 

5. Finish a book without letting go of it - This would have to be a short, light one. 

6. Read a book you really want to read - Too many to choose from!   - Perhaps The Opposite of Fate which I started back in 2012, making it to almost the very end but not quite finishing. I was just re-reading the Amy Tan thread and it reminded me of how much I enjoyed the book :wub: 

7. Read seven books - Um..... No. 

Edit: Taking part in this is just an idea, I'm not sure if I will actually do it. 

Edited by frankie

Sounds like a great challenge. Even if it's difficult to achieve .. it does give one ideas :D 'Finish a Book Without Letting Go Of It' :unsure: I'd find that really difficult. I'm so much of a fidget that I rarely swallow a book up in one sitting .. even if it's short! 

'Someone Else's Favourite Book' :lol: :lol: Oh no ... CBTD!!  :blush2:  :o  :D 

Good luck with it Sari :) xx Kylie would be chuffed to bits if you did read The Phantom Tollbooth  :smile: 

What does it actually entail, finishing a book without letting go of it. Is one allowed to use one's bum bag? Or fanny pack? And why do you guys call it by such horrible names :D We call it, literally, a belt bag. Nothing funny about that! :D I had to go and see wiktionary for this... 

"fanny packbelt packbelly bagbuffalo pouchhip sackphanny packwaist bagwaistpackbutt pack (US), waist wallet (Canada),Snatchelhip pack (UK), belt bag (Philippines), bum bag (UKIrelandSouth America), Kangaroo and Koala (AustraliaNew Zealand), or moon bag (South Africa), is a small fabric pouch usually secured with a zipper and worn by use of a strap around the hips or waist."

I've only ever heard of the fanny pack and bum bag. And apparently it was called fanny pack because people used wear it at the back. I love the names Kangaroo and Koala and moon bag :D 

Anyway, where was I... Yes, is it cheating if you put the book in your bum bag for when you're not reading it? :giggle2: Or do you have to hold it in your hands or have it on your body at all times. 

CBTD!! :D Alan would probably recommend you give this booktubeathon a serious go :D :D 

I'm currently training for the booktubeathon, I'm trying to finish Tinseltown today! 

Landlordess will be starting work next week and she's having to go to some remote area to collect samples of what not, and so she'll be staying there for the next four-five days, and her husband and kids will be spending that time at his parents' house, meaning I get to have the place to myself till Thursday or Friday! :smile2: Ah, the silence! Ah, being able to laundry whenever as nobody else will be doing any. Oooh and I can read on the couch me thinks! :smile2: 

And apparently it was called fanny pack because people used wear it at the back.

In the UK, your fanny isn't at the back! ;)  :P

I loathe the word bum so I would never buy one as I wouldn't know what to call it! :lol:

That's a great sounding challenge.   :)

It's nice you will have the place to yourself for a few days :)!

Frankie, you are allowed to combine challenges (see my post here), sorry for not explaining it properly :blush2:. So you could read a book of which the author's last name starts wtih a 'K' in your case, that also has blue on the cover and that will tick off two challenges, for example. I think by not letting go of it they mean you have to keep touching the book, so it would have to be a short read. You could just do the challenges you feel like doing, you don't need to do them all if you don't want to.

I wish you happy reading :)!

In the UK, your fanny isn't at the back! ;)  :P

I loathe the word bum so I would never buy one as I wouldn't know what to call it! :lol:

That's a great sounding challenge.   :)

Where is it then :o In your pocket? :D Yeah, the word 'bum' doesn't exactly make you think of happy thoughts, does it :D 

It's nice you will have the place to yourself for a few days :)!

It's hella awesome :D

Frankie, you are allowed to combine challenges (see my post here), sorry for not explaining it properly :blush2:. So you could read a book of which the author's last name starts wtih a 'K' in your case, that also has blue on the cover and that will tick off two challenges, for example. I think by not letting go of it they mean you have to keep touching the book, so it would have to be a short read. You could just do the challenges you feel like doing, you don't need to do them all if you don't want to.

Ah, I didn't know that you can combine the challenges. It had actually crossed my mind that I might probably do something like that, but I didn't realize it was noted in the rules. And of course no one has to do all of the challenges, as there is no challenge police policing around, checking that everyone will abide by the rules. At least I hope there aren't! :o   :hide:   Or maybe there are. Like in the library police in a Stephen King novel.  :hide:   :giggle2: 

Yes .. we don't call it by those names .. nobody would say 'fanny' around here :D :D :D not in polite society anyway. We have a purse type thing that ties around your waist and call it a 'money belt'  Not sure I could fit a book in it tho! I only ever use it (or Alan does) when travelling abroad (or London .. same thing :D)  

It is so funny when you hear it said though .. I've got American friends and they would often use the term .. making me almost fall over from shock .. they, on the other hand, were shocked that I used the word 'toilet'  :D :D :D 

3. Read someone else's favourite book - Whose and what book??! Phantom Tollbooth??  :hide:  (But is it Kylie's absolute favorite, though?)

It's one of my absolute favourites. :) The cover is also mostly blue (if you have the same edition I do) so it would fit the first criteria as well!

"fanny packbelt packbelly bagbuffalo pouchhip sackphanny packwaist bagwaistpackbutt pack (US), waist wallet (Canada),Snatchelhip pack (UK), belt bag (Philippines), bum bag (UKIrelandSouth America), Kangaroo and Koala (AustraliaNew Zealand), or moon bag (South Africa), is a small fabric pouch usually secured with a zipper and worn by use of a strap around the hips or waist."

I've only ever heard of the fanny pack and bum bag. And apparently it was called fanny pack because people used wear it at the back. I love the names Kangaroo and Koala and moon bag :D 

Hmm, never ever heard it called either of those things in Australia. We call it a bum bag.

Yes .. we don't call it by those names .. nobody would say 'fanny' around here :D not in polite society anyway. We have a purse type thing that ties around your waist and call it a 'money belt'  Not sure I could fit a book in it tho! I only ever use it (or Alan does) when travelling abroad (or London .. same thing :D)  

It is so funny when you hear it said though .. I've got American friends and they would often use the term .. making me almost fall over from shock .. they, on the other hand, were shocked that I used the word 'toilet'  :D :D :D 

I think when I come over, I'm going to have to say 'fanny' a few times just to get a reaction :giggle2::blush: I only hope that I will do it at your place and not in a cafe! 

Toilet :D That's the one thing I don't understand about American English. I always say toilet. I mean the equivalent word in Finnish. And I've sometimes said toilet in English, too. Although I've come to learn that one ought to say bathroom or restroom. So odd! Makes me think of the Boris movie :giggle2: 

It's one of my absolute favourites. :) The cover is also mostly blue (if you have the same edition I do) so it would fit the first criteria as well!

I already have plans for the blue cover, but it could actually be used for the book I won't let go of, too! :)

Edit: My cover's different though! It's this one: phantom-tollbooth.jpg

But obviously not in as bad a shape! When I was googling for that, I saw the blue covered one, oh man, I like that one much better :blush: 

Hmm, never ever heard it called either of those things in Australia. We call it a bum bag.

knew it! I knew you would call it a bum bag :cool: I should totally get a PhD in all things OZ  :angel_not:

Edited by frankie