Frankie reads 2015

frankie

I don't have a photo but I'll try to describe it better.  

Imagine a sheet of A4 paper.   Take a pen or pencil and draw blobs of varying sizes on it, leaving gaps between them.  

Now you have to draw a straight line from the top of the page to the bottom.  But wait, the blob is in the way.  So, draw around the blob, keeping the same distance away from the blob as you do from the edge of the paper.  Go around the blob until the line is level with where you started and continue down the page.   Now start a new line the same distance away from the first line.  Keep the lines parallel all the way down.  Go around all the blobs as you progress across the page.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks chalie!   :console:  Fingers crossed that I find a decent place for myself, indeed! This time I want to live on my own, I don't want any roommates. I've had enough of them :D

The landlord/ess have been here for the last three days, but I think they are pretty much done with what they planned to do this week, and they are going away tomorrow, for a week in landlordess's hometown. I'm really looking forward to being on my own for a while, but I have to say, it's been fun to socialize with them, at times. My friend is a good laugh, and so's her husband, and I do adore their two kids :smile2:

If you have any free time and the money to travel, you are very welcome to come and help me with decluttering :D :D And bring Jojo and Obi with, would you please!! :smile2:

Ah, wouldn't that be great, Jojo would definitely love to travel and meet you and all the Finnish dogs, I know for a fact there are other Cattle Dogs in Finland! You could play with her while I declutter! :) Obi would just sit and grumble in a corner, what could be called a Busman's holiday! :D (Hopefully you know what that means! :)

I don't have a photo but I'll try to describe it better.  

Imagine a sheet of A4 paper.   Take a pen or pencil and draw blobs of varying sizes on it, leaving gaps between them.  

Now you have to draw a straight line from the top of the page to the bottom.  But wait, the blob is in the way.  So, draw around the blob, keeping the same distance away from the blob as you do from the edge of the paper.  Go around the blob until the line is level with where you started and continue down the page.   Now start a new line the same distance away from the first line.  Keep the lines parallel all the way down.  Go around all the blobs as you progress across the page.  

I go around the blob but how would I keep the same distance away from the blob as... Oh! Now I think I got it! Oh! I have to try this tomorrow :D Thanks for explaining it in 'layman's terms' for me! :blush:

Ah, wouldn't that be great, Jojo would definitely love to travel and meet you and all the Finnish dogs, I know for a fact there are other Cattle Dogs in Finland! You could play with her while I declutter! :) Obi would just sit and grumble in a corner, what could be called a Busman's holiday! :D (Hopefully you know what that means! :)

You know it for a fact, and so do I! Because I'm positive that this one dog I saw in Joensuu last year was a Cattle Dog :cool: And I'd hope to find Jojo a Karelian Bear dog friend, and of course a Finnish Spitz! :smile2: Although you have one of those in the neighborhood if I remember correctly? :smile2: I would play with Jojo until one of us dropped dead from exhaustion :D There's also this small dog park near by. The first time I went by (on purpose), there were no dogs and I thought nobody goes there, but ever since I started jogging, I've walked by the same park many times and I guess it was just about timing, because I've seen loads of dogs there these days :)  Oh Obi... :lol: Actually I don't know that phrase, I'm going to google... Haha :D So he'd be doing the same thing he'd be doing at home? :lol: 

You know it for a fact, and so do I! Because I'm positive that this one dog I saw in Joensuu last year was a Cattle Dog :cool: And I'd hope to find Jojo a Karelian Bear dog friend, and of course a Finnish Spitz! :smile2: Although you have one of those in the neighborhood if I remember correctly? :smile2: I would play with Jojo until one of us dropped dead from exhaustion :D There's also this small dog park near by. The first time I went by (on purpose), there were no dogs and I thought nobody goes there, but ever since I started jogging, I've walked by the same park many times and I guess it was just about timing, because I've seen loads of dogs there these days :)  Oh Obi... :lol: Actually I don't know that phrase, I'm going to google... Haha :D So he'd be doing the same thing he'd be doing at home? :lol:

I'm sure it was, they are very distinctive, some are plain faced without the eye patches that Obi and Jojo have. You remember right, we do have a Finnish Spitz in the next road but I've never seen it off lead or over the country park we are next to so I'm not sure if they walk elsewhere or just street walk which would be a bit sad. :(

You've got that right, he is grumpy wherever he is.. Actually, that's a bit mean as he is perfectly happy with his little family, he likes the quiet life bless him! :)

I'm sure it was, they are very distinctive, some are plain faced without the eye patches that Obi and Jojo have. You remember right, we do have a Finnish Spitz in the next road but I've never seen it off lead or over the country park we are next to so I'm not sure if they walk elsewhere or just street walk which would be a bit sad. :(

You've got that right, he is grumpy wherever he is.. Actually, that's a bit mean as he is perfectly happy with his little family, he likes the quiet life bless him! :)

They are indeed very distinctive, and I remember being so surprised to see a dog like that! :smile2: But happily surprised of course :) (I really love it that you have Finnish members on your dog forums and groups!! :smile2: ) I hope the neighboring Finnish Spitz gets taken out on a ride with a car to a nicer, bigger park, and that's the only reason why he's not seen in the park you go to...! 

I suppose Obi's an introvert? :D It's his personality and that's the way it is, and he's lovably just like that :smile2: Although of course if I were ever to see him, I'd love me some cuddles, but I would of course have to respect the fact that he's not comfortable with that. But I'm also happy to admire a great dog from afar... :yes: Dogs rule! :D 

The main breeder in Finland is called Windwarriors but I believe they are very close to Sweden, in Komi? 

Obi is indeed introverted and a bit of a worrier, If dogs can be pessimistic then that is him! He grumbles to keep people and other dogs away from him and in the main they listen and the older he has got the more dogs show him respect and give him a wide berth, I remember the same with Dylan when he got older too, must be the older statesman thing. :)

The main breeder in Finland is called Windwarriors but I believe they are very close to Sweden, in Komi?

I'd not even heard of Komi, I must say. When you said it was near Sweden, I thought you meant Kemi. I decided to search for Komi on google map, though, and I found the place :smile2: It's near Tampere, which is like a 2-3 hour drive from Helsinki to north-west. Not that far away! I also googled Windwarriors and I loved the picture on their main page, of the dog with the stick :D So funny!

Obi is indeed introverted and a bit of a worrier, If dogs can be pessimistic then that is him! He grumbles to keep people and other dogs away from him and in the main they listen and the older he has got the more dogs show him respect and give him a wide berth, I remember the same with Dylan when he got older too, must be the older statesman thing. :)

Awww, I wish he wasn't a worrier, because that sort of life can be vexing. I'm happy that he's got authority though and that you are the sort of good people who know what their dogs need, as Obi is one of a kind! :smile2:

Oooooh!! I've just seen Augusten Burroughs add pictures of his new Great Dane puppy on his FB feed!!!! :exc: But I don't know if I can really post on here because I've started to wonder whether that's legal.... I know I've done so in the past... :blush: But I know he'll be posting a lot of pictures and I can't start posting them all on here.... :blush:

Edit: His name is Otis!! :wub: And he's adorable! :wub:

Edit: Should not have read the comments... Everyone's hating on him because he used a breeder and didn't adopt. They have a point, but it seems like they've all forgotten about how Augusten adopted their previous dog, Radar. I'm more than 100% positive that Augusten went to a responsible breeder and not a puppy mill... And again, I do understand why it's important to 'adopt, not shop', but c'mon... :rolleyes:

Edit: Thanks chalie for liking my comment on there!!  :flowers2:

Edited by frankie

He is indeed very very very very very adorable, and he is brindle which is my absolute favourite Dane colour as it is the same colour as my old Honey! he hate he is getting is ridiculous and he should block every one of them. There are very few Great Danes in rescue anyway and if that is what he wanted then that is what he should get. No doubt he makes plenty of donations to animal charities anyway, and as you say Radar (love that name but Steve won't let me use it.. he works in radar and Radar was my favourite character in MASH.. but I digress  :giggle: ) was a rescue!

I have had dogs from breeders and rescues and each was chosen with care according to our current situation and capabilities.. I might have to go on there and tell each and every one to go forth and multiply!!  :banghead:

EDIT - I couldn't resist.. I had to comment! :D

Edited by chaliepud

I know you like your brindles! :D I can't wait for more pictures... But I seriously cannot deal with the comments. As people keep commenting, the post keeps being up in my feed and then I can't help but read some of them... What a bunch of haters!! :(   Haha about the name Radar :D Too bad Steve was against it :giggle2:

I loved it that you made a comment of your own in there!!  :friends3:  You're absolutely right about everyone having their own needs and situation and everyone needs to find the right puppy/dog, whether it is a rescue or comes from a breeder. (I know we agree about great breeders vs puppy mills so we don't even have to go into what it is that we mean by breeders...) 

There was one woman who made a brilliant point: we don't go into the people's profiles who're sending hateful comments and ask them if they have children, and if so, whether they gave birth to them or adopted. One could easily argue that with all the 'rescue children' in the world, it would be selfish to have one's own baby. !!! I thought that was such a brilliant point. 

Now, I need to stop reading the comments.... !

Edit: Was somewhat disappointed that you didn't just go and tell them to go multiply :giggle::lol: :lol:

Edit: I just hope that Augusten and Christopher don't read all the comments....! 

Edited by frankie

There was one woman who made a brilliant point: we don't go into the people's profiles who're sending hateful comments and ask them if they have children, and if so, whether they gave birth to them or adopted. One could easily argue that with all the 'rescue children' in the world, it would be selfish to have one's own baby. !!! I thought that was such a brilliant point.

That is a brilliant point :yes:!

So sorry he is getting so much hate over it, it's totally undeserved :(.

And why all the hating? Why must they each and every single one of them voice their opinion. It's not the time or the place :no: Go do your work in front of puppy mills. Do not harass a good guy who loves dogs so dearly. 

45. Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay 

Book cover: It starts with a trip to a local amusement park. David Harwood is hoping a carefree day at Five Mountains with their four-year-old son Ethan will help dispel his wife Jan's recent depression - black moods that have led to frightening thoughts of suicide. 

Instead, a day of fun turns into a nightmare. [...] And you don't really need to know any further, there was far too much on the book cover. 

Thoughts: I've read maybe 4 books by Barclay before and I've always enjoyed his thrillers. Was assuming I would enjoy this one, too, and I wasn't wrong. 

The book was off to a rather slow start, compared to the previous Barclays I've read, but I didn't mind that too much because it was still all very interesting. I like how Barclay handles his characters, I always seem to feel for the protagonist. No surprises there. 

There was the usual amounts of twists and what's more enjoyable than reading a good, solid, dependable thriller! :) 

4/5

I'm currently reading Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood by William J. Mann. It's a true crime book about the murder of William Desmond Taylor, but you get to read about all things Hollywood, back in the 1920's. It's fascinating! I'm only on page 64 but I'm already thinking about which other books I could read on the subject. I'd like to read a biography on Mabel Normand for a start...

There's a lot of interesting details in the book... For instance: 

"Before the invention of high-intensity arc lamps, movies had to be shot in the open air or in studios with retractable roofs. So the moviemakers had come west in search of light during the dreary eastern winter months. Eventually many of them settled down, opening storefront studios in the land of the eternal sun."

I had no idea that that's what made Hollywood the spot where to shoot! :o 

That's so interesting! I might have to add this to my wishlist. :)

Hehe cool! You know, it was likened to The Devil in the White City by someone ;) But I'm not sure how fair that comparison is. I read some of the reviews (or parts of them) on Goodreads and some were really unfavorable. Some said that the author got a bit repetitive about certain things... So far I haven't noticed but I'm only on page 90 or something. I'll keep posting about the book :) 

Another interesting quote from the book: 

"These reform-minded women seemed to be everywhere. The National Board of Review, the organization charged by the industry to ensure that all films released were suitable for the screen, depended on the service of 150 volunteer reviewers, and a good number of them were conservative Christian women. On the various affiliated Committees for Better Films scattered throughout the country, such women as Mrs. Thomas H. Eggert of Houston, Texas; Mrs. Neil Wallace of Birmingham, Alabama; and Mrs Eugene Reilley of Charlotte, North Carolina, exerted tremendous authority. One word from one of these matrons could be enough for a local municipality to forbid the showing of a particular film, which often led to the film being banned in surrounding communities. 

And then there was Mrs. Ellen O'Grady in Manhattan. 

Mrs. O'Grady had made history as one of the first policewomen in the New York Police Department. Irish-born, a widowed mother of three daughters, Mrs. O'Grady had been charged with the protection of young girls and investigation into prostitution rings. She was known for her bravery, her compassion, her efficiency, and her strict adherence to the rules. 

She was a devout Roman Catholic. In a speech before the National Conference of Catholic Charities in September, Mrs. O'Grady said that "the elimination of sin" guided her work. To the Women's City Club, she insisted, "Girls should not paint or powder. There should be no improper dress. I know how hard it is when tight skirts are in fashion."

This was the woman the NYPD placed in charge of the city's public welfare laws as they related to motion pictures theaters. Not surprisingly, Mrs O'Grady had some pretty strong opinion about the movies. If a picture wasn't "clean," she argued, the police "must have the power to stop the showing." She added, "Our foreign-born citizens get their ideas of our institutions from the moving pictures. Some kind of censorship is needed."

On the afternoon of Sunday, November 14, 1920, a tragedy occurred that brought many of the reformers' simmering resentments against the movies to the surface. An audience of nearly three hundred people, most of them children, had crowded into the New Catherine Theatre on the city's Lower East Side of the latest installment of the Vitagraph serial The Veiled Mystery, starring Antonio Moreno. When smoke from a faulty furnace began billowing up through the floorboards, someone shouted "Fire!" and panic ensued. In the mad rush for the exits, six children were trampled to death. In the chaos outside, mothers screamed for their babies in half a dozen different languages. Initial reports said one door was locked, which led to the theater owners being charged with manslaughter. But charges were dropped once an investigation determined that the doors were actually open, and the owners had followed all safety regulations. 

That, however, did not satisfy Mrs. O'Grady. She used the tragedy of the New Catherine fire to further her goal of getting children out of movies entirely. Rounding up eighty-seven fellow officers in the Police Welfare Bureau, she announced a crackdown on New York's movie houses. "Some theatre proprietors are unscrupulous and money mad," she declared. "It is up to you to show no leniency where violations are detected." Any manager who admitted children without a parent or guardian would be arrested. Officers would patrol the aisles and pluck out any child not accompanied an adult. And of course, the children's tickets would be refunded."

So interesting on so many levels! They had volunteers, and then we heard about one of the first policewomen in NYPD, and then a tragedy, and all stuff! :o 

(I've always found it odd and quite frankly, appalling how women are referred to by the name of their husband :rolleyes: That doesn't happen over here! I don't know if it has, at some point in the past, but at least not anymore. Don't even think it happened in the past, either.)

I saw this post about two very different dogs and it reminded me of how you and I talked about Obi and Jojo coming over just recently and how Obi has his very own unique personality, as do all dogs... Well I have to post now :D

http://imgur.com/gallery/XHUju

Ha! Brilliant! Yep, that's our house, Jojo normally running around tugging, chasing balls, herding the cat while Obi just observes or sleeps.. Though all Cattle Dogs seem to like sleeping in odd positions so he isn't exempt from that! :D

Ha! Brilliant! Yep, that's our house, Jojo normally running around tugging, chasing balls, herding the cat while Obi just observes or sleeps.. Though all Cattle Dogs seem to like sleeping in odd positions so he isn't exempt from that! :D

:D Jojo sounds like one of those perpetual things... What do you call them. A perpetual motion machine :D But with a doggy heart and a life, of course. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Obi sleeping in an odd position... I'm now getting really curious!!! :D